Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D220204B-87EB-4FF7-8141-5D2ABF9E686A (resized).jpeg
    funny-man-burns-smoke-holding-260nw-1634794270 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider black_knight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

My parents had a couple of rental properties, so I was always the handyman's helper growing up. I learned basic electrical work, plumbing and sweating pipes, carpentry, tile work etc. So I've always been pretty handy around my own house. But I never would have fixed this one without pinball repair experience!

We had a pretty expensive commercial style range go out this weekend (about the cost of a premium machine). No display, no oven controls. I researched the issue online and everyone ended up replacing the expensive computer controls, anywhere from $300-800+ depending on the issue. So I bit the bullet and called a repairman, as I wanted confirmation before ordering expensive parts.

Well I had 2 separate techs poke around for a bit and then say they didn't know what was wrong and would have to tear it apart to figure it out, requiring several hours of diagnosis before (probably) having to track down a computer that is NLA anyway. So I sent them away to decide what to do, neither of them asked for payment thank goodness.

So while I was stewing over it I started searching online for more info, fixes, part manuals, and lo and behold I ran across a Wiring Schematic. Hey, I know how to read those! Look, there are actually 2 thermal fuses that control the power (I had only tested the oven fuse in the back).

Grabbed my DMM and got the front panel off in 5 minutes. It tested bad. I jumpered it and everything came to life. So a $50 part and 30 minutes of my time, I'm back up and running. But I never would have figured it out without reading those schematics.

Now if I was a true Pinball nerd, I would have just left the jumpers on and let the next owner post it in a worst hack thread on some appliance blog.

TLDR;
    I fix pinball machines
    I fixed my expensive oven because I had to learn to read wiring schematics
    I wanted to brag about it

What new things have you been able to do because of pinball?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider black_knight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-useful-skills-have-you-learned-from-your-pinball-hobby?tu=black_knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.