Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

002 (resized).JPG
    003 (resized).JPG
    1024px-Plywood (resized).jpg
    Inside (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I need to replace some wood in the back box of my Target Alpha.
    Shouldn't be a big problem, just need to know what kind of wood is used.
    Thanks!
    Eric

Inside (resized).jpgInside (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Something very old and smelly, sealed with a sweet layer of many decades of cigarette smoke, Eric.

On a serious note, I think it's just sanded down plywood. Maybe not. I can't tell from the picture if it looks like ply on top or not.

Sure reminds me of it, but I can't recall from personal experience inside of my Gottlieb heads if it actually is or not. If I remember correctly the texture seems different, unless they just sanded down the edges well.

1024px-Plywood (resized).jpg1024px-Plywood (resized).jpg

Otaku

#3 7 years ago

It's the piece circled in red. The part the hinges attach to.
    It's not plywood. Measures roughly 2" x 2.375" x 27".
    It is old and smelly, though!

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

It's the piece circled in red. The part the hinges attach to.
    It's not plywood. Measures roughly 2" x 2.375" x 27".
    It is old and smelly, though!

i had to replace that piece in a gtb roller coaster. i use a piece of pine. it is solid and worked fine. it is not a part that anyone would ever notice

#5 7 years ago

Boilerman, any trashed heads that could provide a doner? I have a spare 2player head I could carve up but this guy is in your backyard

#6 7 years ago

Just took a look at the piece on my Surfer and Volley, neither had been completely covered in paint. On these two machines from 1976 it is definitely clear (no knots) white pine.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Boilerman, any trashed heads that could provide a doner? I have a spare 2player head I could carve up but this guy is in your backyard

he is over 2 hours away, no reason to drive that far for a 4 dollar piece of wood. very easy to do.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

he is over 2 hours away, no reason to drive that far for a 4 dollar piece of wood. very easy to do.

I'm not worth a two hour drive???
    I'm crushed.

No.....seriously I have it all covered.
    The old piece is out already, and I'm ready to cut the new one on the milling machine.
    I just wanted to know what type of wood was used, since it supports all of the back box mechanism.

Thank you much for all of your help!

E

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I'm not worth a two hour drive???
    I'm crushed.
    No.....seriously I have it all covered.
    The old piece is out already, and I'm ready to cut the new one on the milling machine.
    I just wanted to know what type of wood was used, since it supports all of the back box mechanism.
    Thank you much for all of your help!
    E

tip....... glue the new piece to the inner wood. as you said it holds the weight of the light board when lowered. i glued and nailed it so it would be a strong bond.

#10 7 years ago

Poplar I guess, it's not a hardwood.

Edit: Nah, more likely old Douglas Fir....?

Edit again: Sorry, I didn't know that poplar is a hardwood.....
    I checked from internet, they said "Poplar is considered to be a hardwood rather than the “softwoods” "

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shiny_balls:

Poplar I guess, it's not a hardwood.

I would also guess poplar (actually poplar is a hardwood; albeit a soft one, but a hardwood nonetheless). The local big box stores should have it.

#12 7 years ago

Yah. Probably a cheap hardwood like poplar, ash, or hickory.

#13 7 years ago

My father in law came through with some wood.
    Made the new part on the mill................and ready for install!

003 (resized).JPG003 (resized).JPG

002 (resized).JPG002 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Now we know where to get replacements

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-type-of-wood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.