Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cal50
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

What kind of solder flux is appropriate for use on pinball machines? I saw a post that was part of another thread with this info, but I can't find it again. I think there might have been a link also.

#2 10 years ago

Usually, the flux is built into the solder roll itself thus the term "rosin core solder".

If you need extra flux to clean, or to get solder to flow under obstructions, you can use a paste like:

http://www.parts-express.com/caig-rsf-r80-2-deoxit-rosin-soldering-flux-jar-56g--341-221

#3 10 years ago

What vid said with the added warning: Do NOT use any acid core/flux on a pinball machine. You will not get the acid off and it will corrode your electrical connections. You don't want flux from the plumbing department of a store.

If you solder is not sticking clean your surfaces well with sandpaper and/or a wire brush and try again. The flux helps some but your metal surfaces need to be bright and shiny or pre-tinned for the solder to stick.

#4 10 years ago

The Kester Flux pens are decent and can be had for about $6 a pop

ebay.com link: sch

#5 10 years ago

Radio shack carries high quality electrical solder.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks alot guys. I know I am using the good solder, its the insanely priced stuff that Pinball Life has (got it cheaper somewhere else but same stuff). Even with the flux core, I seem to have issues getting the solder to flow nicely and evenly, in fact it seems like it wants to go EVERYWHERE, except where I need it to go. I've been trying to practice my soldering (outside of a pinball machine just to try and get better) and my dad said something about the flux paste. I tried it on my practice joints and it was like night and day, it made it 10,000 times easier. However I also remembered reading warnings on here about using the wrong kind so wanted to ask to make sure.

I'll try the flux pen.

#7 10 years ago

The flux inside my Kester 60/40 or 63/37 is usually more than enough. Using good solder, like kester, is pretty key. The iron at the right temperature is important as well.

#8 10 years ago

I like Pinball life. Their prices are normally very reasonable and I have bought from them many times and will continue to buy from the in the future. But can someone please explain to me why they are doing what looks like gouging on the "magic" old Kester solder?

Last time I check tin and lead were still available at a reasonable rate, so it must be the flux. Is it really that much better compared to the "new" Kester eutectic (63/37) "No-Clean Flux" solder that I see for sale at ~$20 per pound?

#9 10 years ago

I use silver solder a lot. I used it when I flew RC airplanes and it was used because it had a little more structural strength.

#10 10 years ago

As far as solder is concerned, Todd has the good stuff at a good price.

http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/equipment/equipment-index.htm#Solder

#11 10 years ago

For home use -- 63/37 solder with "no clean flux" is the best way to go.
    *ALL* Kester solder has gone up in price over past couple years. Often found in the $22 to $30 range.
    Made the mistake of buying some Mexican brand solder a few years back. It worked well but was the stinkiest stuff I ever used.... glad when it finally ran out. I only buy Kester now.

The Stangbat link to Todd's website is for SN63WRMAP3.031 solder. Often used for mil spec stuff and has rosin core solder. We used to use this solder by the case -- good stuff but you really should clean with alcohol when done.

Ed

#12 10 years ago

When I run out of Kester 44 it will be a sad day....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-type-of-solder-flux-to-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.