(Topic ID: 176211)

What type of glue for playfield inserts?

By pinstyle

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

What is the general consensus for the type of glue to use for gluing inserts back in? I am leaning towards a standard wood glue.

#3 7 years ago

Gorilla glue was one suggestion I read but I never used it and I don't really know the properties of it. I agree though, something plyable when dried would be the best option. Removable and relatively easy to clean out if you ever needed to replace the insert.

#5 7 years ago

Thank you the suggestion but I do not want to use superglue.

#8 7 years ago

The inserts are going in a puck bowler playfield, so there will not be any clear going over them. I'd like the option to be able to remove them if needed. I think superglue is too brittle for any insert in any playfield. Two part epoxy is over kill, and again if by some chance you ever need to remove the insert, you are going to have a bastard of a time.

#12 7 years ago

I picked up a Loctite product made for wood and glue but i am a little reluctant to use it since it might be very similar to using superglue or an epoxy. It does dry crystal clear though. The problem is there are just too many glues

#13 7 years ago

I ended up using Locktite GO2 glue. Probably more of a "Vid approved" glue. It has a nice thick consistency, sets up in 5-30 minutes (probably depends on what you are glueing), cure time of 24 hours, dries crystal clear. The inserts went in a little too easy, I would have hoped they would need to be tapped in. The thick glue should hold them from dropping deeper, but I will have to keep an eye on them and adjust if needed. Just to be clear, superglue has its purposes. I have used it if I just needed to heat and adjust an insert and keep it where it needs to be. Just a dab or two. For this instance I needed to completely remove and reset the inserts. Superglue just doesn't seem like a good idea in this case. Thanks again everyone, hopefully it all goes well. I did consider the E6000 but I love Locktite products.

#15 7 years ago

I think this glue is probably not "Vid approved". On inserts where I had to lay it a little thick, it stayed "rubbery" for a little too long. Over all it went well, I am a little over two hours in and the glue seems to be set though the real loose inserts did drop a hair and I had to adjust them. Needless to say I had to add a dab or two of superglue to hold them where they needed to be

It worked great through for the inserts that where tight. I am not sure what you would do with a loose insert. They were literally falling out, it is the only reason why I took them out completely. First time I ever had to, didn't even need to heat them. I would use the glue again but with a really loose insert I think you would want to get that sucker to stay put fast.

I think you are right Neo, the plastic must have shrunk a little. I wanted to keep the original inserts and I am on a tight budget.

#16 7 years ago

Maybe build the hole up a little with thin layers of glue until you have a tight fit?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-type-of-glue-for-playfield-inserts?tu=pinstyle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.