GTS (resized).jpg
1I2B9665,large.2x (resized).jpg
pic00001 (resized).jpg
20170506_102857 (resized).jpg
Pictures-of-Sexy-Girls-and-Cars-26 (resized).jpg
IMG_4141 (resized).jpg
FJ401 (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I live in the north east and have a suitable winter car and will always have similar awd car or SUV.

I'm not buying soon but maybe 1-2-3 years from now.

Will be only street use and not track car.

In the past I've had Z3 and S2000 convertibles and a M3 (V8) which was a muscle car.

ove never had a muscle car like Mustang or Challenger.

I have always wanted a 911 being maybe more sporty than a M3.

My worry is if I got a speedy car I'd not be able to unleash it due to law enforcement or safety etc..

I like the looks of a basic MX5 cheap and fun or would I rather save and get a used 50% off Cayman or 911 or better get a nice Muscle car?

Any thoughts or questions?

#2 6 years ago

Get a Prius V and retire young

#3 6 years ago

Money is not a major object except if I were to buy a $20-30K fun car I'd be able to buy a really nice Daily Driver car like $30k+

Or I could blow it all on the fun car and keep my cheapo beater car for DD duty.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Get a Prius V and retire young

Has nothing to do with me retiring. I could already retire if I wanted but I'm working to pay for toys and fun stuff.

#5 6 years ago

Tough call, but if it's about the driving experience, I would probably buy the best 1985-1989 911 sunroof coupe I could find. The build quality is beyond reproach and the driving experience is so darn raw and visceral. An added bonus is you should not lose a dime should you decide to sell the car.

My favorite purchase in the last few years has been the 350GTR. It's a blast to drive, but what drew me to the car is the styling which is why I ultimately bought one. It garners much more attention than my Hellcat or Porsches so I guess other must feel the same.

#6 6 years ago

i love the 350GT, never have driven it but just the looks and sound watched a lot of videos.

I had driven both 911 GT3 and a 911 turbo circa 2002-3 and preferred the GT3 way more because the turbo was so calm and was like on rails. I understand that's a good thing, but at the time I had my S2000 made winding roads feel like I was going fast while in the 911 turbo same roads felt like I was doing 40 around a curve but was probably doing 60.

Any real high po car is a trade off because I can't exploit the 9/10th on a public road while my S2000 or likely a MX5 you can open it up in several gears with safety.

I did sell my S2000 sadly because at the time I didn't like it as a DD replacement was M3 which was great too. Ultimately I felt like the M3 was trying to be Sporty and GT and mildly luxury and was wearing too many hats. Jack of all trades master of none.

I had M3 with dual clutch which I love but also I love a slick 6MT, can't decide but if got GT350 or MX5 no choice 6MT it's where I could get a nice DCT or MT like in a 911 that I can't decide.

#7 6 years ago

I think one of the quietest collector cars right now is a viper GTS from the 90s to early 2k. They are really cheap right now, and the total production of all vipers are equal to just over one year of corvette production. They are sporty and have killer looks and I believe they won't get any cheaper, they will only go up in value.

#8 6 years ago

I would get one of these. when you do retire you wouldn't even need dipers

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Go Rugged. . .
Classic Toyota FJ40
FJ401 (resized).jpgFJ401 (resized).jpg

I am a bit biased right now as Im in the middle of restoring one myself. . .
IMG_4141 (resized).jpgIMG_4141 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Go Rugged. . .
Classic Toyota FJ40

I am a bit biased right now as Im in the middle of restoring one myself. . .

Cool car but I'm more about something sporty not a tippy SUV

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Cool car but I'm more about something sporty not a tippy SUV

Got it. In that case Id go with the HellCat or Demon Challenger and defy Law Enforcement. Sounds you are leaning more towards something European though. . .

#12 6 years ago

My doors pull out but I don't

Pictures-of-Sexy-Girls-and-Cars-26 (resized).jpgPictures-of-Sexy-Girls-and-Cars-26 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

I think one of the quietest collector cars right now is a viper GTS from the 90s to early 2k. They are really cheap right now, and the total production of all vipers are equal to just over one year of corvette production. They are sporty and have killer looks and I believe they won't get any cheaper, they will only go up in value.

I agree. I'm on my 3rd Viper and they have increased in value in the past few years (Gen II/III).

20170506_102857 (resized).jpg20170506_102857 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

I've got a 1995 Miata as my fun car. Not quite what you're looking for but it is awesome! Handles like a dream. I plan on turboing it this summer if I don't spend the money on more pins.

Everyone loves pop up headlights!

pic00001 (resized).jpgpic00001 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Seriously, a Miata?

I think you could do better!

#16 6 years ago

The Homer....the only car that you'll ever need.

1I2B9665,large.2x (resized).jpg1I2B9665,large.2x (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Just get $10k Mazda speed for a road race track, and get a nice DD. Honestly, a small minority are able to get 95% out of a Miata on the track. There you can get your speed fix, it's a thrill, and hard to master. I road race weekly and have zero regrets about driving an SUV as a DD because I know whenever I need a "fix", I can go out on the track.

#18 6 years ago

Dude , get a Volvo

#21 6 years ago

Bro you are incapable of making your own decisions.

#22 6 years ago

VIPER!

Based off your past cars and the ones that you sound to lean towards it really fits the bill nicely. They are super fun to drive, easy to work on and still look modern (most people that don't know Vipers think my 98 is brand new).

I was hesitant to get one because of the "they will kill you comments" but it's one of the easiest fast cars I've ever driven. Don't do something stupid and floor it going around a corner and you are fine.

GTS (resized).jpgGTS (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

911, M3, Kia or Minivan - all of these for street use can get you in trouble with the law and all will easily go over speed limit. If you want a fun car to drive, however, I would highly recommended a car with a manual transmission (imho). I had a little convertible audi tts in 2009 and it was enjoyable but the paddle shifters were not the same as a manual. Something was still missing from it.

In retrospect, I think something like a Ford Focus RS would be a riot to drive and I would take it to track days especially if that is not your daily drive.

#24 6 years ago

Get a new Corvette Stingray! If I won the lottery that would be the car I would get.

#25 6 years ago

1979 Plymouth Horizon!
Gorgeous, reliable and powerful!

#26 6 years ago

If you're looking for a car that draws looks/compliments and is a refined gentlemen's sports car, go Aston Martin. We are on our third, and it only gets better with time. Beautiful styling and eats WRX's for lunch when the teens try to take you off the line You can grab a DB9 Volante well back of $100K with the original owner taking the other $100K in depreciation.

911's are a blast, but so our SL63's or the ballsy, SL65's. Have owned Viper's and they are super fun, but I'm not a domestic fan (although the GTS white/blue stripe look is insanely sick looking).

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

... Beautiful styling and eats WRX's for lunch when the teens try to take you off the line You can grab a DB9 Volante well back of $100K...

Wow kicking WRX ass for only 3 times the cost!?!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

I think one of the quietest collector cars right now is a viper GTS from the 90s to early 2k.

yeah a friend had a 95 viper.... was nice

#29 6 years ago

Buy my 96 Viper GTS for $45k. It's the right color, it's supercharged for even more power, it's not far from you. But it is loud, hot, uncomfortable...far from posh.

20170426_231805 (resized).jpg20170426_231805 (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Buy my 96 Viper GTS for $45k. It's the right color, it's supercharged for even more power, it's not far from you. But it is loud, hot, uncomfortable...far from posh.

How many miles, ever been wrecked? How long have you had it?

#31 6 years ago

I'm in the same mode right now. Looking for a fun 2-seater car around $25k. I've got a lead on a nice 2006 Cayman S that I will likely get. I'm also considering a Nissan 370Z. Both have decent power but won't throw you out of control. Cayman S was a pleasure to drive. It's a light mid engine, and the handling is unreal.

I've also looked at the BRZ and MX-5, but I feel like they lacked power.

#32 6 years ago

Have yet to try a new MX5 but on paper it's not too slow. Slower than my S2000 but not as slow as 155HP would suggest.

Looking at published times the S2000 is around 1 second quicker to 100mph than the new MX5

90 less HP but 500 lbs less weight

#33 6 years ago

Tossup between Porsche 928S4 and BMW 850.
Depends upon which mechanic you know best
because the dealer probably won't have a clue
and you may need some maintenance on these classics

#34 6 years ago

have you driven a Tesla Model S? test drive a P100D if you haven't. the acceleration has to be experienced to be understood, and it handles exceptionally well for a sedan. surprisingly practical in terms of storage space, too.

#35 6 years ago

Did drive a Tesla S. That's a nice car, would consider in the future.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

How many miles, ever been wrecked? How long have you had it?

38k miles. Never wrecked, clean title and Carfax. I've had it for 4.5 years or so and only drove it 500 miles. Kids...

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinpast:

Tossup between Porsche 928S4 and BMW 850.
Depends upon which mechanic you know best
because the dealer probably won't have a clue
and you may need some maintenance on these classics

Thanks, I have already owned a V8 M3 which I believe is a better version of either sporty GT. If I wanted that type of car I'd get another M3 likely.

I'm not too much into 10-20 year old cars, love them at the time but I feel there are better new cars.

#38 6 years ago

Regarding Viper (I don't want a car that trying to kill me).

I know any car can be dangerous but some more than others.

I drove a Z06 Vette and imo that was more power than I was comfortable with both law enforcement wise and my safety wise.

I don't want anything faster than a base Corvette.

I know some people like 700 HP Viper but I'm not interested.

#39 6 years ago

IMG_1923 (resized).PNGIMG_1923 (resized).PNG

#40 6 years ago

That'd be hard to parallel park.

#41 6 years ago

My wiener basically drives and parks itself

#42 6 years ago

Stick with your original thought of a Cayman. Crazy HP is fun, but I think balance is more enjoyable, hence I love my Cayman S. Mine is fully loaded with a manual, and with the front trunk and rear hatch has tons of storage room.

#43 6 years ago

Whatever you decide to purchase, do NOT buy a new Mustang Shelby GT350. They are loud gas hogs that tend to drift into onlookers and crowds. And, besides, I don't want everyone driving the same car as me!

Shelby 05-13-17 (resized).jpgShelby 05-13-17 (resized).jpg

#44 6 years ago

google "mid life crisis cars" and you should find everything to make you feel manly and tough again....that and a couple testosterone injections.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

google "mid life crisis cars" and you should find everything to make you feel manly and tough again....that and a couple testosterone injections.

Or head over to the minivan thread which comes with a complimentary castration.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Or head over to the minivan thread which comes with a complimentary castration.

because being practical or family-oriented makes someone not a man? Your idea of masculinity sucks shit.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

because being practical or family-oriented makes someone not a man? Your idea of masculinity sucks shit.

Lighten up you little shit.

It was a joke.

#48 6 years ago

Audi, always again.

#49 6 years ago

I like the MX5 fine for what it is, but I would suggest something like this as a alternative. I've had my 2017 John Cooper Works convertible for several months now. It still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

my_MINI_desktopJCW (resized).pngmy_MINI_desktopJCW (resized).png

#50 6 years ago

Personal tastes but I love my Volvo sedan S60
This has awd. Replaced prior model with fwd.
Take that it to the UP looking for snow.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-type-of-car-would-you-recommend?hl=ghostthruster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.