(Topic ID: 308084)

What two modern pins?

By StratDoc

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have 27 pins in my collection and two in the restoration que. I have been thinking of selling 5-10 pins and purchasing two modern pins. The dilemma is which pins to sell, but also what two modern pins to buy? By modern I mean classic DMD pins - e.g. adams family, etc. and LCD pins.

thanks for the advice.

#2 2 years ago

#3 2 years ago

Whichever ones you consider most fun.

#4 2 years ago

This question is all over the map, but the answer is simple imo:

Sell the pins you have the least fun playing aka the hardest to hit the start button. Are there games you have to force yourself to play? Those are the ones to sell.

As for what to buy..... whatevs. Don't force it though, let it come to you.

#5 2 years ago

Just pick any two Keith Elwin games

#6 2 years ago

Well I definitely have some go-to pins - Xenon, Blackout, Firepower, T2, Stargate, Black Hole, Paragon, Barracora, Joker Poker, Gorgar, haunted house.... Some I just like the look although don't play as much - sider man, Medusa, farfalla. It is a hard decision.

#7 2 years ago

oh man - you have some really nice titles in your collection!

What to sell? What The PinballCO-op said:

Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Sell the pins you have the least fun playing aka the hardest to hit the start button.

What to buy? You can NOT go wrong with anything on the Pinside Top 100 list (for as much disparagement as THAT gets).
    My call? White Water and No Good Gofers. (cuz I LUV them) You just missed a BEAUTIFUL Safecracker!

#8 2 years ago

To buy: STTNG, Shadow, or how about a Cactus Canyon remake;

To sell - group what you have into similar categories and sell one of each (e.g. Blackout or Meteor, Firepower or Black Knight, etc.)

#9 2 years ago

Sounds like a trip to one of the many arcades you are lucky enough to be near in Chattanooga and Nashville. Play "this versus that" for a few weeks! DAMN sweeeeet to have hundreds of games to try out nearby!!!!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

Well I definitely have some go-to pins - Xenon, Blackout, Firepower, T2, Stargate, Black Hole, Paragon, Barracora, Joker Poker, Gorgar, haunted house.... Some I just like the look although don't play as much - sider man, Medusa, farfalla. It is a hard decision.

You have some great games.

Play everything today and ask yourself why it's worth keeping. If you're playing it and not feeling it, then start thinking in the other direction and ask yourself why you don't need to keep it. For me, this helps to solidify a decision and makes it easier to not look back.

Sometimes less is more, especially when your goal is to balance your collection with some variety while letting go of games that don't get played to free up space.

#11 2 years ago

Well,

As far as deciding what to sell , sometimes I use condition to decide if it's a keeper or not. A game that is in excellent condition that I like to play I most likely keep over a similarly played game in lesser condition.

Do you have an idea on the budget you want to spend on the two new games? 8K, 10K, 12K? As you know prices are a little "funny" right now. Would help people give input if you also stated a budget.

#12 2 years ago

Pick one from group A and one from group B

A: Lord of the Rings, The Simpsons Pinball Party

B: Godzilla, Jurassic Park. Deadpool

#13 2 years ago

I guess the budget depends on the sale of some of my existing pins. Right now I am leaning toward selling -

Black Knight
    Space Shuttle
    Breakshot
    Pinball Lizard - love the look of the game and the bg is pristine
    Meteor - has a new cpr installed
    Elektra
    Space Riders
    Hot Shot - a little rough, with not so great pf touch up but really fun player
    A-go-go

have to keep Aztec as my wife bought that one for me. Might consider parting with Medusa - new cPR pf and terrific bg but seldom play the game.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

I guess the budget depends on the sale of some of my existing pins. Right now I am leaning toward selling -
    Black Knight
    Space Shuttle
    Breakshot
    Elektra
    Space Riders
    A-go-go
    have to keep Aztec as my wife bought that one for me. Might consider parting with Medusa - new cPR pf and terrific bg but seldom play the game.

Breakshot is one of my top favorites of all time. Setup the game to be brutally hard if you find it too easy. Wide outlanes, no ball save. Game is just awesome!

All the Atari’s are boring, but beautiful to look at.
    Elektra is meh, Meteor is a classic but gets old.
    BK and SS are beloved. You’d probably get good money out of them.
    Medusa is an awesome game! I’m surprised you want to sell it!

A classic DMD would help you love the classics even more.
    TAF isn’t that great, never understood the crazy obsession. White Water is awesome. TZ is awesome.
    Do you want stop-and-go or nonstop flow?

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Breakshot is one of my top favorites of all time. Setup the game to be brutally hard if you find it too easy. Wide outlanes, no ball save. Game is just awesome!
    All the Atari’s are boring, but beautiful to look at.
    Elektra is meh, Meteor is a classic but gets old.
    BK and SS are beloved. You’d probably get good money out of them.
    Medusa is an awesome game! I’m surprised you want to sell it!
    A classic DMD would help you love the classics even more.
    TAF isn’t that great, never understood the crazy obsession. White Water is awesome. TZ is awesome.
    Do you want stop-and-go or nonstop flow?

Breakshot is just now one I return to very often. Agree on the Atari, really beautiful but seldom played. Metero I enjoy, but... Elektra have had folks try to buy that one from me unsolicited in great shape and great looker. BK and SS are not ones I enjoy that much. I forgot I would also sell F-14. Among all my pins, my top five favorites in order are..

Xenon - love everything about the game
    Paragon - hard as hell but keeps me coming back
    Stargate
    T2
    Firepower

#16 2 years ago

With your collection you sound like you can play...

I always like the ballbuster games like Iron Man for shorter tough games.

Stern Star Wars pro I know gets allot of shit but I love it. BSD for Bally Williams..

All time favorite is LOTR but pack a lunch if you are a good player. Stern Spiderman also can go on forever but great flow game...

I am the rare guy who doesn't like the Elwin games... any of them really. Too much shit going on and I dont have OCD. I appreciate what he does but I find them all to be a chore to play and learn.

#17 2 years ago

I'm very happy with my current 2 game line up of GNR le and Fish Tales .
    But if I had to choose another two , it would be out of Rick and Morty , Elvira House of Horrors and Godzilla . I just like funny and campy cartoon/ movie clips .

#18 2 years ago

Godzilla and one of the following Batman 66, Jurassic Park or Elvira. If you want a quality retro feel, Cactus Canyon Remake with the topper. Without a doubt Godzilla however. I wasn't a huge fan of the theme but the game play and theme integration and music make this pin my favorite.

#19 2 years ago

In terms of what to buy, I would get a classic B/W and a newer LCD game. More variety that way.

#20 2 years ago

Thoughts on a classic like Scared Stiff - love that game, STNG, Adams Family, and newer LCD pins in terms of long-term play in a collection and enjoyment? Leaning toward one or two classic pins from the DMD era.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

Thoughts on a classic like Scared Stiff

I used to own one. Got old quick. But for you, it may be more suited for your home collection. Especially if you already love that game. I just felt there were better layouts and rules that could be found on other similar-priced games.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

Thoughts on a classic like Scared Stiff - love that game, STNG, Adams Family, and newer LCD pins in terms of long-term play in a collection and enjoyment? Leaning toward one or two classic pins from the DMD era.

Personally, I have a STTNG next to an AFMrLE, Rick and Morty, Godzilla Premium, LOTR, and Torpedo Alley. STTNG has been there the longest and is still my favorite. I love the theme, designer, toys, and sound. It's hard to get dialed in but once there is fantastic. Your opinion is the most important. Watch Star Trek First Contact to get into the theme of its new to you.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

I’ll own a Scared Stiff one day. Not every game has to be deep and complicated, not all of us are tournament players haha. I think the art is great, call outs are fun and for non pinheads its an easy game to understand the rules and that makes pinball more fun for them. I enjoy pinball the most with guests. In a very small collection sure it will get old. But i can say that about most pins.

#24 2 years ago

Attack from Mars and stern Jurassic park.

Or medieval madness and Godzilla.

Or twilight zone and lord of the rings.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

Of those 3 STTNG has way more replay value to me.

I owned all 3 and Scared stiff is fun to play but its pretty easy.. I hadnt played one in years and got to scared stiff first time I tried a few months ago.

Adams I just dont see the big deal with the game.. not that hard to tour the mansion and thats about there is to it.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from StratDoc:

Black Knight
    Space Shuttle
    Breakshot
    Elektra
    Space Riders
    A-go-go

This is a difficult question since there are just so many great games out there in the 31 year span history of DMD/LCD games. I also don't have a clue of what you favor or your budget...so I will go through what a budget might be first, since that will likely be your most important factor.

I will first guesstimate the possible values of the games you are potentially selling using approximate average prices (assuming all are working and in decent condition):

Black Knight - 3000
    Space Shuttle - 2500
    Breakshot- 2500
    Pinball Lizard - 1000
    Meteor - 1800
    Elektra - 2250
    Space Riders - 1000
    Hot Shot - 800
    A-go-go - 500
    Medusa - 3500
    F-14 - 2500

= 21,350

So let's say with some not realizing full prices, maybe some won't sell quick (or at all), and considering traveling/driving/shipping and other potential costs...we can simplify it to $20,000.

Assuming you are sticking with just 2 machines, that puts them at 10k each, which will get just about anything. I would focus on the top machines for home use, highest quality, best condition, replayability, differing gameplay, and ones that are pretty universally acclaimed.

The top 100 was mentioned, and I would agree that is a GREAT place to start.

If you are going more to the DMD side...that means either twilight zone, Addams family, Indiana Jones, Monster Bash, Medieval madness, or Attack from Mars. I certainly think the cgc remakes are superior to the originals if you choose the latter 3. For the criteria I mentioned above, however, I would go with either TZ or Medieval Madness.

If you are going the LCD side, I would primarily suggest either stern or JJP. Godzilla, Jurassic Park, Deadpool, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ghostbusters, Elvira house of horrors, AIQ, TMNT, Batman 66, and the walking dead are the standouts for stern. All JJP games are worthy, but WOZ, WW, and POTC are their best...but they also cost a ton these days (especially POTC).

If you get one of each, I would suggest WOZ for JJP and either JP, GZ, or DP for stern... depending on which style of gameplay you prefer. I agree with most, and I think Jurassic Park is the class act of the group.

Final thoughts:

If it were me...I would actually try to get 3 or 4 games. You seem to have the budget for it, but you would have to tighten your budget/search criteria. I think it would be more fun in the end.

If you do stick with 2 games, I would probably recommend going with newer (as opposed to older DMDs) with as few plays as possible, and selecting one from JJP, one from Stern. When I consider availability as well, WOZ and JP would be my suggestion...but it may be far easier to get a GZ.

#27 2 years ago

Thank you for all of the good input and feedback. I have listed them on the Georgia Pinball Appreciate Society listserv, not here on pinside. I want to sell local if if possible for cash. Will probably list on pinside at a later date depending on what sells through GAPAS.

I have decided to sell the following -

Breakshot
    BK
    Space Riders
    F-14
    Hot Shot
    Pinball Lizard
    Meteor
    Elektra

#28 2 years ago

My most played....SW Prem, GB Prem, Tag Team, Cactus Jacks........but I'm weird.

#29 2 years ago

The Meteor, Elektra, Pinball Lizard, and BK are sold. Will post up f-14, breakshot, space riders, and hot shot on pinside. Will sell local only so if within driving distance of Chattanooga and are interested send me a PM. Will gladly send as many pics as you want and/or chat by the phone.

1 week later
    #30 2 years ago

F-14 is sold. Trying to find a Hot Shot PF. Would really like to keep it if I can find a decent pf for restoration. Thinking about keeping Breakshot. Finally getting little breathing room in the basement.

#31 2 years ago

If it's any 2 not including the exclusive 30K plus games like Big Bang Bar and Lebowski.

I'd go with One of the big Three (AFM, Medieval Madness, Monster Bash) and either Metallica or Godzilla.
    Avoid games like TZ that have tons of shots you can only hit with one side: They get annoying.
    Open playfields best IMHO.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-two-modern-pins?hl=machinegunguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.