6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2577 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 9.46.45 PM (resized).png
    20191024_105145 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 8.02.09 AM (resized).png

#1 6 months ago

I know this has been talked before but I cannot find the post.

My tumbler tumbled its last this morning. So I am in the market. I plan to buy a larger tumbler. The 18 lb. model is the size I would like to get.

Other than Harbor Freight 18 pounder for $180.00 what others are suggested? I can buy insure the HF unit for 2 years for $51.00 for total price of $230.00 + sales tax.

Eastwood has its 18 pounder for sale for $215.00 with free shipping.

What other tumblers are out there that give goos service without a price that breaks the bank?

Thanks

#2 6 months ago

Out of curiosity, how long did you have the harbor freight tumbler?

I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty. Most credit cards offer that for free anyway (not that I've ever actually taken advantage of it).

#3 6 months ago

I don't have a HF tumbler. I have a Berry's model 400 that I got from Steve at PBR. It has a 3 year warranty. I cannot find my receipt so I would have to call Steve and get a copy of the receipt, although, I think I am out of warranty.

Barry's will not send me a motor and let me do the replacement. They probably want to make sure I am not gaming them for a motor. I have to box the unit up and pay shipping to return for warranty consideration.

I would like a larger tumbler and am thinking this might be the time to get one.

#4 6 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a Berry's model 400...

That's what I'm using now and like it...wish there was a bigger one.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Out of curiosity, how long did you have the harbor freight tumbler?

My HF tumbler ripped holes in the side within a week...I won't be trusting them again.

#5 6 months ago

I had a Dillon CV-2001 for years and it worked well.

#6 6 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My HF tumbler ripped holes in the side within a week...I won't be trusting them again.

You are not the first one I have heard the from.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I had a Dillon CV-2001 for years and it worked well.

That looks interesting. A little more than I want to spend. But it has a 5 year warranty on electrical ! Other than a car, I don't think I have ever seen a 5 year warranty on anything.

#8 6 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yikes! What exactly failed that allowed it to rip holes in the side? I was considering buying this same one, although it does seem pricey relative to anything else I've bought at Harbor Freight (I never do warrantees either)

#9 6 months ago

Shoot, I've had my HF one for 5 years now. It ran nearly nonstop for about 3 months at one point when I was restoring my BOP a couple years ago. I've put all kinds of stuff through it over the years and would buy it again without a second guess if that time came. My only regret was I got the smaller one. I said I would get the bigger one when this thing dies but it just keeps going. I want to say it was only $50 too after the normal HF coupon. Maybe I just got lucky.

OP - If you like your tumbler and would rather just replace the motor, they are fairly cheap. The part number would most likely be on it but they are basically the same thing as what all those blow up Christmas ornaments are in peoples front yards. At least the one in my HF unit is. Was an exact match of my M&M decoration

#10 6 months ago
    Quoted from LeChuck:

Yikes! What exactly failed that allowed it to rip holes in the side?

At first I was doing some coin door parts that were a little big, so when it gouged a hole in the side i thought, maybe my fault. Other smaller pieces later, ripped another hole or 2.
    The inside is like a softish plastic, as opposed to the ones listed above that seem a much harder, he'll hardened at all, material.

Edit: all angular pieces most likely... Drop target housings and the like.

#11 6 months ago

I found my receipt. My warranty expired last April. I have found the replacement motor. It is a standard C-frame motor. They are used in everything from blenders to bathroom vent fans and refrigerator defrost fans.

This motor has an out-of-balance weight attached to the shaft. The shaft bearings are worn out. It is no wonder with the beating it takes from operating in an out-of-balance condition.

It looks like I can get a replacement motor for $12.50 + whatever shipping is involved. I cannot get the part number to reference on Amazon or I could get free shipping.

I may buy an extra motor to be prepared for the next time; There will be a next time. I would like a larger tumbler but $20.00 vs $170.00 + is no contest.

https://www.adhvacparts.com/product-page/c-frame-motor-yzf61-26-3-000-rpm-rev-115v

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 8.02.09 AM (resized).png

#12 6 months ago

So is it a direct swap and you move the weight over to the new motor and go?

#13 6 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

HEP appears to use the Ultra Vibe
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/58#post-4889410
    Not sure the capacity of it though.

Ultra Vibe by thumbler tumbler is the way to go IMO. If you overload it, it will eventually need a motor replacement. Got about 4 years out of mine for the smaller bottle. Replacement motor was about $50.

#14 6 months ago

To anyone considering the Harbor Freight (budget) option -

I recommend you look at Cabela's tumbler. Its 20 or 30 bucks more than HF. Quality is better. Not sure how much better, but Cabela's is one of those retailers that guarantees their products forever. SO you can return it if it goes out. I recommend you keep the receipt.

I too had a HF that went out on me after a couple months. But i just couldnt spend money on some of these higher quality options.

#15 6 months ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

I too had a HF that went out on me after a couple months. But i just couldnt spend money on some of these higher quality options.

I'm in the same boat. My HF tumbler is on its last legs (the threaded rod is stripped). I may have to check out cabelas.

#16 6 months ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

I think so. The part number matches. The fan pulls off of the shaft and the counter weight is held on with an Allen screw.

Been too busy this morning to call in an order.

#17 6 months ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Ultra Vibe by thumbler tumbler is the way to go IMO. If you overload it, it will eventually need a motor replacement. Got about 4 years out of mine for the smaller bottle. Replacement motor was about $50.

I've got the Ultra Vibe 45. It's a beast but it holds the larger parts I need it to hold. It also holds lots of them. The tumbling action is insane. It's also expensive and maybe not worth it if you don't do a lot of tumbling. It holds around 20 pounds of media. I had an issue with mine after about 6 months. I sent it in for free repairs and I've never had an issue since. That was maybe 5 years ago. It's built like a tank!

I have a couple of Berrys I use for all the small stuff...nuts, bolts, etc. Way easier to fish the stuff out of a smaller unit.

#18 6 months ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I'm in the same boat. My HF tumbler is on its last legs (the threaded rod is stripped). I may have to check out cabelas.

Can't you just replace the threaded rod? Most any hardware store or big box store sells threaded rod of all sizes.

#19 6 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Can't you just replace the threaded rod? Most any hardware store or big box store sells threaded rod of all sizes.

I had the smaller Harbor Freight tumbler. My threaded rod wore out and I ended up replacing it which was a pain because of the way it all goes together. I fixed that portion, and shortly thereafter had a drop target assembly in it which blew a hole in the side of the tub. At that point I put that back together with epoxy putty gave it to my buddy, and I bought a Thumler's Ultra Vibe 18. About five times more quiet than the Harbor Freight and works awesome. The tub is also many times more durable than the HF version.

20191024_105145 (resized).jpg
    #20 6 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I think so. The part number matches. The fan pulls off of the shaft and the counter weight is held on with an Allen screw.

I have ordered 2 of the replacement motors for $37.00 shipped. If the future equals the past, the motors should last me another 7 years. While I would like a larger unit the one I have will do all I need it to do.

I'll let you all know how the motors work out when they arrive.

1 week later
    #21 6 months ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from cottonm4:

I have ordered 2 of the replacement motors for $37.00 shipped. If the future equals the past, the motors should last me another 7 years. While I would like a larger unit the one I have will do all I need it to do.
    I'll let you all know how the motors work out when they arrive.

Well, that was a waste of time and money. My two motors arrived. The part number stickers showed all of the same information, same part number etc. But the motors are physically different in size.

Different sized products should not carry the same part number. So I do not know what is going on other than maybe an new hire place the ID stickers on the wrong motors.

The replacement motors had a smaller stack of steel wafers for the fields coil and the coil itself was smaller. The result is the new smaller "replacement" motor did not have enough horse power to vibrate a damn thing.

The shop I bought them from says to return the motors and I will get a refund. OK. That's good, but I asked if I will be reimbursed for postage and have not received and answer.

1 week later
    #22 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, that was a waste of time and money. My two motors arrived. The part number stickers showed all of the same information, same part number etc. But the motors are physically different in size.
    Different sized products should not carry the same part number. So I do not know what is going on other than maybe an new hire place the ID stickers on the wrong motors.
    The replacement motors had a smaller stack of steel wafers for the fields coil and the coil itself was smaller. The result is the new smaller "replacement" motor did not have enough horse power to vibrate a damn thing.
    The shop I bought them from says to return the motors and I will get a refund. OK. That's good, but I asked if I will be reimbursed for postage and have not received and answer.

Final installment to my motor replacement attempt:

I returned the two motors that were not correct. I also included my blown out motor to see if the shop could find one of the correct size. I got a full refund for the motors and the incoming shipping. I was not refunded for the $12.30 it cost me to return ship. It sucks but I don't think I will hound the shop for the return shipping. I don't think it will be worth my time.

The shop did not respond with anything about finding a different motor to match my blown motor.

So, I called Berry's Manufacturing to see if there was some off chance that they would just sell me a replacement motor. Nope. I have to return ship my tumbler and Berry's will replace the motor for $20.00. That's not bad but it will cost me at least $25.00 to return ship. That would be $45.00 total which would be cheaper than new, but I am going to just go ahead and step up and get the larger 18 lb. tumbler.

#23 5 months ago

My 18 lb. harbor freight tumbler works great. I run that thing for days without any problems.

Just dont over load it with too much stuff I think that is where people get into trouble and burn them up.

#24 5 months ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

My 18 lb. harbor freight tumbler works great. I run that thing for days without any problems.
    Just dont over load it with too much stuff I think that is where people get into trouble and burn them up.

I probably burned up my little 5 lb. Berry's unit. I loaded that thing up to the top with media and parts.

Thank you for talking positive on the Harbor Freight unit. I bought the 18 lb. tumbler this afternoon. HF had a 20% coupon. That and what you said helped with my decision.

I had a heavy load tumbling when my tumbler went bad. I placed that load into my new HF tumbler and that load has only filled up 1/3 of the bowl.

#25 5 months ago

The smaller gray Harbor Freight is garbage, I bought one when my Berry quit. The lock nut will vibrate loose on the lid no matter much you tighten it. Then it will litter a 10 foot area with dust. 1st time it happened I cranked the nut down with pliers. Did it again! Researched and bought new bearings for my Berry and it's been great again.

#26 5 months ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

The smaller gray Harbor Freight is garbage, I bought one when my Berry quit. The lock nut will vibrate loose on the lid no matter much you tighten it. Then it will litter a 10 foot area with dust. 1st time it happened I cranked the nut down with pliers. Did it again! Researched and bought new bearings for my Berry and it's been great again.

My Berry tumbler had what is called a shaded pole C-Frame motor with bushings staked into aluminum armature housings. Similar to this picture.

If I could get bearings I could put it back together and have 2 tumblers working.

Where were you able to buy bearings for your Berry tumbler?

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 9.46.45 PM (resized).png

#27 5 months ago

Bearing replacements are in this thread (including what to buy):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/berry-400-vibratory-tumbler-bearing-replacement

The 626-ZZ ball bearings can be bought dirt cheap on ebay:

ebay.com link » 10 Pcs Premium 626zz Abec1 Metal Shields Deep Groove Ball Bearing 6 X 19 X 6mm

#28 5 months ago

Pretty decent price on those, I'm in the PTD (power transmission & distribution) business, my Japanese brand are like $2.50 each MY COST.

#29 5 months ago

Unfortunately, all of these types of small motors I have salvaged from various appliances do not use caged bearings. I have only seen them with bushings being held into position with staked tension plates.

IMG_2577 (resized).jpg

#30 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I loaded that thing up to the top with media and parts.

Don't do that :p

The whole model of tumbling works on the parts and media moving around. If the parts can't move, it will not clean/polish them all the way around. You should see the media cascading inward over the parts and the parts free to move. I can't even remember filling the tub more than halfway... mainly based on ensuring the parts can be covered. If you can't fit them in without filling all the way up, you need a bigger unit/tub.

#31 5 months ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Yea, I have asked Santa for this tumbler this year. I'm looking forward to cleaning up some hardware.

#32 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I probably burned up my little 5 lb. Berry's unit. I loaded that thing up to the top with media and parts.
    Thank you for talking positive on the Harbor Freight unit. I bought the 18 lb. tumbler this afternoon. HF had a 20% coupon. That and what you said helped with my decision.
    I had a heavy load tumbling when my tumbler went bad. I placed that load into my new HF tumbler and that load has only filled up 1/3 of the bowl.

You made a good call. I've replaced bearings, and have made two work from three of the Berry/Cabelas ones. The 18lb HF has been holding up great however I still have another Berry/Cabela that I'm using for smaller loads. I expect it to die too. These 5 lb. of most all brands probably will hold up for the once or twice a year tumble, but that's about it.

Def. get a jam nut/nylock nut for the 18lb HF. It has a plastic wing nut and came home to see it got loose and the lid was off blowing dust in my back basement room.

#33 5 months ago

If this was the Chicago Trader/Seller thread, then I would suggest the Jesse White Tumblers.

#34 5 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The whole model of tumbling works on the parts and media moving around. If the parts can't move, it will not clean/polish them all the way around. You should see the media cascading inward over the parts and the parts free to move. I can't even remember filling the tub more than halfway... mainly based on ensuring the parts can be covered. If you can't fit them in without filling all the way up, you need a bigger unit/tub.

I did not think loading up would cause the motor to crash. Clearly, I guess wrong. So, I got the larger unit. It is in the shop humming away. And it is much quieter then the 5 lb. unit that I had. I have already forgotten how much I paid for it.

Quoted from dmacy:

You made a good call. I've replaced bearings, and have made two work from three of the Berry/Cabelas ones. The 18lb HF has been holding up great however I still have another Berry/Cabela that I'm using for smaller loads. I expect it to die too. These 5 lb. of most all brands probably will hold up for the once or twice a year tumble, but that's about it.
    Def. get a jam nut/nylock nut for the 18lb HF. It has a plastic wing nut and came home to see it got loose and the lid was off blowing dust in my back basement room.

Thanks.

I did a lot of tumbling for 3.5 years with the 5 lb. Berry's 400 unit. It gave me good service. I don't know what kind of warranties come with the Cabela's tumbler or any other tumbler I can find on Amazon. But a 3 year warranty that Berry's has ain't bad. And shipping to the factory for a new motor for $20.00 plus shipping one way is not bad, either. If I had not been lusting for a larger unit I would have gone that route. I'll keep the broken one around an some time in future I may send it in.

1 month later
    #35 3 months ago

It has been 60 days since I bought the Harbor Freight 18 lb. tumbler. I have not used it extensively but I have used it enough to say that I am satisfied with the purchase. It is so much quieter than the small tumbler I had.

Quoted from flynnibus:

You were correct. The larger tub about 1/3 to 1/2 full of walnut does a fantastic job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 34.94
    Playfield - Plastics
    Plastic 9 for Pin-Bot Out of stock
    Pinball-Mods.com
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 248.85
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 29.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 87.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 24.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside