(Topic ID: 57097)

What triggers DM's cryo claw into "select" mode?

By CadillacMusic

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Xenon75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Got a DM on location with a weird cryo claw issue. About once every 10 times the claw is loaded, it never goes into the mode where the player controls it. The elevator rises, the claw picks it up, and... nothing. The claw will drop the ball, and it will eventually go into ball search. The game gets confused, and while it will repeatedly raise and lower the elevator, it doesn't seem to have any clue what's going on. This seems to happen more often when the game has been played a few times, but it's possible that's coincidence. I replaced the motor control assembly, but am still having the exact same issue. Because it's on location, it's difficult to test different options, and my boss just wants to leave the claw disabled. That's no fun for the players, though. Anyone know what causes it to kick into that mode?

#2 10 years ago

I saw this same behavior on a DM on location here in Virginia...would be curious to hear what causes it.

#3 10 years ago

Sounds like an intermittent opto problem. Unfortunately, DM gets confused quite easily (other games of that era as well) with opto errors.

Jaz

#4 10 years ago

I like Jazman's opinion. Have you tried checking the optos in switch mode?

As an aside, I didn't know you guys were members here at Pinside, cool.

Hope you get this working, because I agree, when the claw isn't working, the table isn't as fun. I had a problem where the connector to the elevator came apart and it went into everything = Lock Freeze mode. Boring!

Now I have reset and dimming issues I'm working through.

#5 10 years ago

Well, I found out what's causing it. Went back to the location today and played around with the DM after I fixed a few other things. Turns out, maybe one out of four times the motor drives the claw leftwards, it throws enough of a voltage spike that it's making the "claw left" opto activate. It only does it for a fraction of a second, but that's enough. So where do you put the diode in a case like this? I would imagine it's right before j1 pin 5 on the d.c. motor control board. Didn't really have the schematics on me enough to do it while I was there. Maybe next time.

6 years later
#6 4 years ago

Did you ever find a solution for this CadillacMusic

I am seeing the exact same thing on a game I am working on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 72.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 37.50
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 81.95
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-triggers-dms-cryo-claw-into-select-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.