(Topic ID: 117242)

What Toys/Gimmicks have you learned to love or learned to hate?

By Smurrill1

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Honch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've been in this hobby for a couple years at this point and my pinball machine design appreciation has changed quite a bit. My initial interest was in getting a machine with as much toys as possible and eventually turned into an obsession with layout, rules, balance, and flow. So tell me about the toys/gimmicks that you initially didn't like but learned to love or vice versa. I'll start with the three machines I've owned

T2: Didn't really like the cannon toy at first and found it tiresome. Now I really enjoy using it. Its a great skill-based toy.
RS: Absolutely loved the talking heads at first. I'm a puppeteer/ puppet builder so I thought I would get endless kicks out of these. At this point I'm totally indifferent about them. They just don't interact with the ball enough to justify the space that they take up
DM: Thought the cryoclaw was kind of cool at first. Turned it off and I haven't looked back. Game flows much better without it

My favorite toy at SFGE was definitely the battlefield on TS. I LOVE that toy but maybe I'd hate it after owning the machine for a while. I also really liked the iron monger toy on IM. Its presence changes the table a lot when hes up and makes for a different mode of game in a physical sense rather than just liting different shots. Shout out to the MM castle too of course. Flawless.

#2 9 years ago

Hate? Any toy that wasn't on a table from the factory.

Love? Cannons, on T2, ACDC, and other games that use them. The first couple tables I played with this feature were in poor repair and soured me on it for years.

#3 9 years ago

BSD's mist multiball.

When it works, it is AWESOME.

When it doesn't, man........................

Homepin's updated boards bullet-proofed my old BSD, but man when it didn't work 100% correctly, it was not a good time.

#4 9 years ago

What happens when mist isnt working? Doesnt it just drag a ball across the PF?

#5 9 years ago

It depends on what is or isn't working. The most common symptom is the ball will go halfway across the PF and suddenly just drop right down the middle.

#6 9 years ago

I love the data glove on my Johnny Mnemonic but hate when it is acting up and giving me issues

#7 9 years ago

The magnets on GnR I love, but they sure are a PITA to troubleshoot sometimes when they aren't working.

Honorable mention: Mini PF on DW. LOVE it, but is a total PITA to deal with (especially opto issues), since the optos can fire off randomly and make it super easy to start multiball.

#8 9 years ago

BSD feature is really cool. The artwork is too intense for my kids right now, and hope to own one when they are older.....

#9 9 years ago

BSD mist ball...probably one of the coolest toys/gimmicks in all of pinball. I still can't believe this hasn't been used in another game. Guests in my gameroom think it's the coolest thing ever.

#10 9 years ago

I dislike the skill shot on TOTAN, also on ToTAN don't care for the spinning land one bit.

I totally get that it's different and interesting, but after a while I don't really care about it, got annoying to me.

#11 9 years ago

I love the use of magnets in TOM.
Especially the outlane magnets. Newbies are always caught off guard the first time their ball is saved and their reactions are great.
The trapdoor is a pretty cool gimmick as well.

#12 9 years ago

I learned to hate the jump rope on CP really quickly. It was too easy to max out almost every time and just took too long. The punching bag toy wasn't very fun either, imo.

Spinning discs and magnets (NGG/AF) are some of my favorite toys. I love how they randomize the ball path.

#13 9 years ago

I love the DW three level time expander. I also love the castle in MM. I like bash toys in general when the toy itself registers the hit, not a drop target. I don't know what they are called, but the pop up posts on SS are great.

I don't like mini playfields with tiny flippers. I can put up with TSPP and ACDC, but others I'm not a fan of.

#14 9 years ago

That castle on MM was a pretty cool gimmick when I first played one on route, but after owning one for a couple of months it became old hat and tiresome fast. I haven't owned an AFM, but I've played it enough to know that the spaceship would probably be the same after a while.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That castle on MM was a pretty cool gimmick when I first played one on route, but after owning one for a couple of months it became old hat and tiresome fast. I haven't owned an AFM, but I've played it enough to know that the spaceship would probably be the same after a while.

Not turn this into a MM and AFM thread, but I guess this leads me to my favorite gimmick. MM and AFM got this 100% right. The interaction of toy, lights, and sound.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

MM and AFM got this 100% right. The interaction of toy, lights, and sound.

Personally I prefer the interaction of flippers, bumpers and balls.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Personally I prefer the interaction of flippers, bumpers and balls.

Well of course the player has to use the flippers to get the balls in the right place. The light and sound show is the icing.

#18 9 years ago

during the first game I ever played of rolling stones I was already sick of Mick on a stick, but im not sure if that would be considered a toy or just a target...

I love the battlefield on The Shadow
sparky on Met
the safe on Sopranos
and the ring on WWE looks like it might be fun

#19 9 years ago

Wow no Apollo 13...???....I'm dying to try that one....I love my T2..cannon shot never gets old for me...love the track on nascar...Monger to me may be the coolest...love how he drops into PF......hmm...I know I'm forgetting some..........Joey

#20 9 years ago

Metallica,Metallica,Metallica !

The Hammer is an awesome toy, Casket Multiball is still the best multi of all time imo.
The Snake also super cool ! Hate when made shot falls out : (
I really love Graveyard the Cross when it drops and the light show that ensues !
A great mode and shooting inlines to get the cross is is cool.Love capturing multiple balls on the magnet.
Hate when Cross goes dead during parts or end of modes
Bring the Cross to full action please Lyman : )

#21 9 years ago

#22 9 years ago

First time I saw Indiana Jones I thought the gun was really cool. You get to fire a gun instead of using one of those boring plungers, how good is that!!! Now I can't stand the things and much prefer the freedom to control the ball launch with a manual plunger.

#23 9 years ago

Learned to hate the paddle wheel on my Maverick. Tried to love it when all others hated it. I gave up and joined the crowd, too long of a wait for the ball and slows the game down.

Toy I love the most? It's a tie between Tommy's blinders and Pinball Magic's disappearing ball trick. Also, Pinball Magic's wand trick comes in at a close second.

#24 9 years ago

Gilligan's Island is a fantastic toy. Revolving island is a gem.

#25 9 years ago

I'm a fan of Magna Save on my Jungle lord

#26 9 years ago

The slam ramp on NGG stands out for me. When I would play it on location I just hated it because I couldnt hear or understand how it fit into the game. Now that I have one I feel it's one of the greatest shots in pinball. So rewarding to hit in multiball for the jackpot!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I love the DW three level time expander.

I would have to say that is the coolest toy thing in pinball. I also really like the supercharger in Getaway but it's really just a gimmick and not part of gameplay like DW - still pretty cool, though. The trunk in TOM is pretty neat and so is the mist ball in BSD.

#28 9 years ago

I think one of the coolest toys were the cannons on ST:TNG.

#29 9 years ago

I love TAF's Thing collecting the ball (gives me time to swig a beer). I disabled Phantom flips on my Monster Bash, it was just to inconsistent and hurt game play more often than it helped. MB's Frankenstein and Dracula, on the other hand, are two of the coolest toys in pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-toysgimmicks-have-you-learned-to-love-or-learned-to-hate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.