(Topic ID: 128798)

What tools do you use to remove and replace stand-up targets?

By MeNaCeFiRe

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

press.png
2.JPG
1.JPG

#1 4 years ago

Is it a difficult process? I'm wanting to replace some Quick Draw targets and I don't have the slightest idea how to do it correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1.JPG 2.JPG
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

Is it a difficult process? I'm wanting to replace some Quick Draw targets and I don't have the slightest idea how to do it correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Drill out the rivet from the back side with 1/8" drill bit. Save the washer. Replace the face and the rivet. Reinstall the back-up washer and clinch the rivet with a rollover punch and setting die.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

#3 4 years ago

And you dont need the die, just the $25 punch. I jam a dowel into the target to bend the target away from backer so I can easily drill and punch the new one.

Ken

#4 4 years ago

If you want more of a quick fix (pardon the pun) - Marco Specialties sells target stickers that fit neatly on the target a look great. I used them on my Quick Draw and King of Diamonds and unless you have the glass off and look very closely, you cannot tell they are stickers.

#5 4 years ago

if you want to send me the targets and the cost of return shipping, I would be willing to change the target faces for you. I have a rivet press

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if you want to send me the targets and the cost of return shipping, I would be willing to change the target faces for you. I have a rivet press

I have done them for others in the past like j_m_
send them with return postage. quick turn around
with the correct tool the hold better, but can be done with hand tools like others have posted.
just did 7 on my BaB 20 min start to finish
I just wish the repro pbr sells were not so white

#7 4 years ago

what's weird is that one every joust that I've seen (or owned), the center "bulls-eye" targets were always broke, but the solid stand-up (the 'hunter 3' target) were unscathed.

I wonder if that slight lack of plastic (where the "bands" were painted) made that much of a difference that the targets broke.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions and offers guys. I have a local friend who is letting me borrow theirs for a while

#9 4 years ago

You know, I don't see why you could not use an old reloading press for setting rivets. I have a couple of these in my attic.
press.png

I may buy a set of the rivet setting dies & perhaps weld them onto an old set of junk reloading dies so it will mount in the press. Only trick would be getting them welded exactly centered top & bottom so they match up properly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.95
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside