(Topic ID: 192972)

What tool do I need to remove these bolts?

By Mr_Tantrum

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spin_prod_1059580312 (resized).jpg
    p13734 (resized).jpg
    image_21310 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    bolt.jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Here is a pic of one of the bolts on the backbox lock plate of my Williams Getaway. At first I thought I just needed a star bit, but after nothing worked and looking closer, it is a star socket with a pin in the center of the bolt head. What tool (name/type and size) do I need to remove these bolts?

Is there a hack where I could use some other tool or break the center pin and just use a regular star bit?

bolt.jpgbolt.jpg

#2 6 years ago

looks like Star drive Hollow

#3 6 years ago

To get them off, use what they call "security bits". Home Depot and the likes usually carry them.

#4 6 years ago

I think they are designated "TH" plus a number. My guess that large is a TH30 or so

#5 6 years ago

If you have the goodybag that came with the game, there should be a tool inside.
    Every game had one originally.

#6 6 years ago

Tamperproof security bits are what you need. I got this at grainger a few years back

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I have no goody bag, as I'm sure that was lost many owners ago. Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in order. At least now I know what to look/ask for without sounding like a complete idiot.

#9 6 years ago

Darn, I just got home from work which is less than 5 minutes from HF (about 45 minutes from my house)!

#10 6 years ago

I've gotten them off with vice grips, but have security bits. Loosen them with the vice grips then you can loosen with your fingers

#11 6 years ago

Just to nerd this up some more, technically they are "Torx." The nub in the middle makes them "Security Torx."

#12 6 years ago

Cut a slot into it with a Dremel tool, then use a flat screw driver to remove it.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from cudabee:

If you have the goodybag that came with the game, there should be a tool inside.
    Every game had one originally.

i'm going to roll the dice here and say that if he owns a 25 yo game with a bolt that looks like that, he probably doesn't have the goodybag. just a guess, though

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i'm going to roll the dice here and say that if he owns a 25 yo game with a bolt that looks like that, he probably doesn't have the goodybag. just a guess, though

The only torx security screw on The Getaway is the lock mech on the head. I could see why it wouldnt have been touched or changed ever. Not really something that would usually be required.

#15 6 years ago

Well, if you don't feel like driving to HF, I have had success using this set-up.

p13734 (resized).jpgp13734 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

I was able to borrow a set of security bits from a neighbor, and got everything fixed and even painted while I had it off. I'll pickup my own set next week to have for the future. Thanks again to all for the great info.

#17 6 years ago

I always use a tiny flat headed screwdriver, just the right size will fit between the internal angles, something in the range of 1/8'-3/16", always works

#18 6 years ago

Tamperproof Torx T-20 bit in the set from Harbor Freight.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from dontfeed:

Cut a slot into it with a Dremel tool, then use a flat screw driver to remove it.

This is what I do.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

This is what I do.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the right tool for the job?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, but I think it has to do with how patient you are. If you have the tool when you want it, great. If you don't, then find an alternate solution - now!

#22 6 years ago

I saw a new thread stating that you're "a treasure". While I won't go that far (heaven knows what such a statement does for your ego), I'll say you're at least worth $5 for your great ideas.

#23 6 years ago

BTW, I guess that back in the day these bits were harder to come by? Not sure how "secure" these bits are if any Joe Blow can go down to HF and pick up a set of every type made for $5. Well, maybe the punk kids that use to hangout in arcades weren't so smart?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

I have no clue what you are trying to teach me here. Just wanted to give the op a possible solution that he might have overlooked.
    I know that most of my 25 yo games had this little tool hidden somewhere, because it is no use to anybody like the spare slingshots or fuses.
    Sometimes it is hidden deep down the manual envelope or hanging on the speaker. Sometimes when a game was stored on end it is gravitaded to the rear of the cabinet where it can be easily overlooked.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

BTW, I guess that back in the day these bits were harder to come by? Not sure how "secure" these bits are if any Joe Blow can go down to HF and pick up a set of every type made for $5. Well, maybe the punk kids that use to hangout in arcades weren't so smart?

I think the fact that you were locked out of your own game answers this question

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

I think the fact that you were locked out of your own game answers this question

Snappy words from down under. Enjoyed the quip.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

The only torx security screw on The Getaway is the lock mech on the head. I could see why it wouldnt have been touched or changed ever. Not really something that would usually be required.

FYI, the reason I wanted to remove it is because the nut on the back of the lock had worked itself quite loose, so it was rattling and had too much play in it. Took advantage while I had it off and painted bracket, bold heads, and backbox.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from cudabee:

I have no clue what you are trying to teach me here.

just being silly. thus, the winking smiley face. no big whoop.
    i think we can all agree that a little bit of humility is worth more than the value of all our machines and tools combined.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It’a not just that. People have Swiss Army knives and flat head screws can be opened with pennies. It’s security through obscurity.

Marc

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I saw a new thread stating that you're "a treasure".

More of a cursed object than a treasure.

When you use me, your Intelligence is +5, but your entire party's Morals drops -10 (plus an extra saving throw vs. venom).

#31 6 years ago

Usually I find these screws in the toys my kids bring me to fix, such as video game controllers. Even though I have a set, I run across some that are an odd size. Often I can get them out by jamming a jeweler flathead alongside the pin.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

BTW, I guess that back in the day these bits were harder to come by? Not sure how "secure" these bits are if any Joe Blow can go down to HF and pick up a set of every type made for $5.

It's a deterrent. Makes it harder for an opportunist to steal a marquee, or part, or something.

Like any thief, if they come prepared, you can't stop them.

LTG : )

#33 6 years ago

Anything to make it mildly more inconvenient for would-be sticky fingers.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A Dremel and Duct tape will fix anything and everything, man.

#35 6 years ago

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

#36 6 years ago

Sears today has 33 piece security set, but it comes with magnetic screwdriver handle too for $5.99

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-33-piece-screwdriver-tamper-proof-bit-set/p-00947486000P?sid=IAx20050830x000545&aff=Y&PID=4485850&AID=11044874&utm_medium=1122587_4485850_11044874#

spin_prod_1059580312 (resized).jpgspin_prod_1059580312 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-tool-do-i-need-to-remove-these-bolts?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.