(Topic ID: 188646)

What to use to replace missing plastics.

By Yeastlord

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Yeastlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PP_Playfield (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My Pink Panther is missing a bunch of playfield plastics. What should I use to make replacements? For now I'd be happy to just find a suitable translucent colored plastic.
As a side note I've been hunting for the plastics for 4 months and haven't found any for sale yet. I really just need something so that I can play the game for now.

Thanks for the help.

PP_Playfield (resized).jpgPP_Playfield (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Your best bet would be to buy a sheet of lexan. Take some paper to make templates of the shapes with and transfer that over to the lexan. You can then cut the lexan out and install them in the game. It's easiest to cut with scroll saw but I've cut some with a jigsaw and dremel before.

You can paint the underside of them to make them different colors if you'd like or even tape artwork to them if you find something you like. That's really going to be the easiest way to accomplish what you need.

#3 6 years ago

I bought a large sheet of PETG that's about 1/16" thick. It is clear, but I use scroll saw to cut, drill for the holes and sand the edges smooth. If you can find images online print off on whatever translucent material you think would work, apply 3M 467MP adhesive to the artwork side of the print and attach to the plastic.

#4 6 years ago

Check out TAP Plastics. There are a couple locations in San Jose. Tap Plastics provides cut to order acrylic, Lexan and other plastics and at least at the store here in Lynnwood, WA, they have a scrap bin that they sell by the pound. For $3-$5 you can get more than enough to do all the plastics. My recommendation would be 1/8" Lexan (Polycarbonate). I make my own protectors as well as new plastics with water slide decals (Only make them for myself, sorry). The plastics can be rough cut with a band saw, scroll saw a Dremel or even a hack saw, then finished on either belt sander or with a Dremel with sanding drums. If you sand the edges with finer and finer sandpaper you can ultimately polish them to be perfectly clear.

#5 6 years ago

You probably tried this, but did you ask Steve Young at PBR if he had any?
A miracle is always possible.

Yves

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

You probably tried this, but did you ask Steve Young at PBR if he had any?
A miracle is always possible.
Yves

It was one of my first stops on the road to failure ; )

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Check out TAP Plastics. There are a couple locations in San Jose. Tap Plastics provides cut to order acrylic, Lexan and other plastics and at least at the store here in Lynnwood, WA, they have a scrap bin that they sell by the pound. For $3-$5 you can get more than enough to do all the plastics. My recommendation would be 1/8" Lexan (Polycarbonate). I make my own protectors as well as new plastics with water slide decals (Only make them for myself, sorry). The plastics can be rough cut with a band saw, scroll saw a Dremel or even a hack saw, then finished on either belt sander or with a Dremel with sanding drums. If you sand the edges with finer and finer sandpaper you can ultimately polish them to be perfectly clear.

Thanks for suggestion. Tap is literally 15 minutes from my office. Gonna hit them up at lunch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-use-to-replace-missing-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.