Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by latenite04
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Overhead Comparison_smallersize (resized).png
    20191223_132024 (resized).jpg
    20191223_130123 (resized).jpg
    LuxChart (resized).png
    NGGTrap_BeforeLens.gif
    NGGTrap_AfterLens.gif
    03370557-D086-4561-ABE0-07E14E9EA9B2 (resized).jpeg
    B8F708B2-B2BC-4D65-9F88-8C48B76B1F56 (resized).jpeg
    20191027_171153 (resized).jpg
    pinshadians (resized).jpg
    sharpie-30001ea-fine-point-permanent-marker-black-6f3 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191016-140852 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20191016-140918 (resized).png
    images (1) (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191016-112152 (resized).png
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I read somewhere that some people are putting torn up cotton in their flasher domes to done down the brightness of LED flashers. I also had the idea of using dryer sheets for the safe effect.

Anyone try any of these tricks ? Does one option give better results than the other? Any other diffusion ideas?

I have 5SMD flashers on the playfield and just trying to tone them down a bit.
    Jim

#2 4 years ago

I used layers of painter's tape over the flashers in my Star Trek. When possible I use incandescent flashers. They are so much better and are always my first choice.

I am assuming this is a new game w stock LEDs?

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimgravina:

I read somewhere that some people are putting torn up cotton in their flasher domes to done down the brightness of LED flashers. I also had the idea of using dryer sheets for the safe effect.
    Anyone try any of these tricks ? Does one option give better results than the other? Any other diffusion ideas?
    I have 5SMD flashers on the playfield and just trying to tone them down a bit.
    Jim

For some reason, using flammable material like cotton seems like a really bad idea.

#4 4 years ago

Use incandescent flashers. I am an LED guy on all of my machines, except for flashers.

#5 4 years ago

I put 8 LED flasher towers in my DE JP. Big mistake. However I have found that covering the LED flashers facing the player with black electric tape works great, is adjustable, and reversible.

#6 4 years ago

Seems the current generation of LED flashers is massively brighter than they were a few years ago. Older LED's weren't anywhere near bright enough, much dimmer than incandescent flashers, the current crop are eye-burners for sure.

-Hans

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I used layers of painter's tape over the flashers in my Star Trek. When possible I use incandescent flashers. They are so much better and are always my first choice.
    I am assuming this is a new game w stock LEDs?

No, this was something I added to the machine. Replaced ALL lights with LED's. But also my first pin so im learning things as I go. The 5SMD flashers I have are not terrible...but could be toned down a bit.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I put 8 LED flasher towers in my DE JP. Big mistake. However I have found that covering the LED flashers facing the player with black electric tape works great, is adjustable, and reversible.

Thats a good idea too...

#9 4 years ago

I may try some of these ideas, but where can I get a handful of bayonet incandescent bulbs? I only need them for the playfield flashers...the ones in the backbox are fine.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Seems the current generation of LED flashers is massively brighter than they were a few years ago. Older LED's weren't anywhere near bright enough, much dimmer than incandescent flashers, the current crop are eye-burners for sure.
    -Hans

This does appear to be true. Comet even has stuff on their site like “shield your eyes!”

If it’s behind a plastic, then ok - but the ones facing your eyes... you just have to look away!

I’ve often wondered what people do to diffuse these. I’m interested in figuring out how to get my STTNG shields to light evenly, and those are a combo of regular GI and flashers

#11 4 years ago

I wish Comet would come out with Flasher silicone condoms!
    I used incandescent flashers in my machines but would use LED if the above came true.

#12 4 years ago

I hate LED flashers, incandescent flashers only

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Use incandescent flashers. I am an LED guy on all of my machines, except for flashers.

I went the other direction, just love when you do something significant and the flashers go nuts. On some games (like a Secret Service I just purchased) the incandescent flashers are so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. What is the point.

Sounds counter intuitive but sometimes the LED towers are less bright than the flat LED units. The flat ones are very directional while the towers will have only one or two LED pointing directly at you. Experiment with the flat 8 SMD and the 5 or 9 LED towers for best lighting effect.

#14 4 years ago

I often wonder why LED flashers don't have domes like most every other LED. A 4 SMD flasher with a frosted diffuser dome would be great. Because of that, I only ever use incandescent flashers because I value my eyesight lol. ryanwanger find a way!

#15 4 years ago

Yeah, I had 8SMDs in the playfield at first. Then I went blind. I do have 8smd's in the backbox and those are ok. I got all my LEDs from COMET...they have incandescents also? I may grab a hand full...

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimgravina:

Yeah, I had 8SMDs in the playfield at first. Then I went blind. I do have 8smd's in the backbox and those are ok. I got all my LEDs from COMET...they have incandescents also? I may grab a hand full...

8's on the playfield are BRIGHT, try a short 5 LED tower and I think you will find it much better.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

8's on the playfield are BRIGHT, try a short 5 LED tower and I think you will find it much better.

Yep, I can confirm that the 5LED towers tend to be a lot less bright than an 8, although they are still more bright than an incandescent.

#18 4 years ago

Yeah, I have 5's now and still a tough too bright I think. Where can I get incandescents from?

#19 4 years ago

I recently bought a bunch of 5 and 8 smd flashers from Comet, just so I could experiment with them. I like both, I'm not sure why people hate them so much. I mean, obviously you don't want them in a place where they will be directly exposed -- both because they are so bright and because they look like dog shit. But when used in places that will deflect or diffuse the light, they are great. I agree with others that 5smd is probably the better option all around. The 8s I have are just big and don't seem to really have much of a benefit over the 5s.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I'm experimenting with them in a WCS '94 which is a game that particularly lends itself well to bright white lights/flashers.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

I recently bought a bunch of 5 and 8 smd flashers from Comet, just so I could experiment with them. I like both, I'm not sure why people hate them so much. I mean, obviously you don't want them in a place where they will be directly exposed -- both because they are so bright and because they look like dog shit. But when used in places that will deflect or diffuse the light, they are great. I agree with others that 5smd is probably the better option all around. The 8s I have are just big and don't seem to really have much of a benefit over the 5s.

I find the 8's are great in the backglass and in playfield colored beacons that have fluting. Some machines that have two spots for flashers you can get away with one LED depending on location.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I wish Comet would come out with Flasher silicone condoms!
    I used incandescent flashers in my machines but would use LED if the above came true.

That's a great idea. I just can't use incandescent flashers. They just look out of place to me when rest of game is led. Sometimes you want the flashers to be bright when buried under plastics. Other times like when in a dome, they can be too bright. A condom would be perfect to tune the brightness where needed.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimgravina:

Yeah, I have 5's now and still a tough too bright I think. Where can I get incandescents from?

Pinball Life, Marco, or Pinball Resource all have them.

#23 4 years ago

Whenever I have a flasher on the playfield that's too bright, I replace it with a Flex Flasher from Comet. That way I can bend the light to still be a bright flash, just not directly into my eyes.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jakers:

Whenever I have a flasher on the playfield that's too bright, I replace it with a Flex Flasher from Comet. That way I can bend the light to still be a bright flash, just not directly into my eyes.

Thats a good idea too!!

#25 4 years ago

Cut a milk jug into circles that fit in the flasher domes Or any other opaque plastic packaging to cover the LEDs.

Works great. I've done it to a few pins. No milk jugs here in Canada though. So I had to find other containers.
    MMr used a sheet of opaque plastic as a LED playfield diffuser.

Screenshot_20191016-112152 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191016-112152 (resized).png
    #26 4 years ago

How do I know which incandescent bulbs I need. They are for Data East Back To The Future...I know they are all bayonets, but after poking around on pinball life, I didn't realize there are so many different numbers associated with the bulbs...

thanks!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I find the 8's are great in the backglass and in playfield colored beacons that have fluting. Some machines that have two spots for flashers you can get away with one LED depending on location.

I should have clarified that in my post I was referring to the 5 and 8 SMD tower flashers.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimgravina:

How do I know which incandescent bulbs I need. They are for Data East Back To The Future...I know they are all bayonets, but after poking around on pinball life, I didn't realize there are so many different numbers associated with the bulbs...
    thanks!

#29 4 years ago

Thats what I thought, thank you!

#30 4 years ago

Use one of these and you won't hardly notice those blinding led lights.

images (1) (resized).jpgimages (1) (resized).jpg
    #31 4 years ago

I put a black marker pen dot on each of the led surface to tone them down sometimes, bigger the dot the more effect. Also use colour pen, eg blue on blue flasher. Works really well.

#32 4 years ago

As everyones eyes have a different level of "Whats too bright", I find now at this age that my eyes have changed, and Ive had to change my flasher bulbs. AGAIN!. Even some Incandescent really close to the player, started hurting.

Of Course, I have a Giant bin to pick from, but there are bulbs at every brightness level to accomplish what you want.

So I go to the bottom single 12V LED or 5050 SMD on up.....Just think of your choices like when you look at bulb wattage at Home Depot or Lowes.
    Direction too. Post above was true, Flex heads help a great deal when I wish.

Years Back I posted about some dome flasher samples,I believe and they were rejected because of price, as well as not fitting through Playfield holes.

#33 4 years ago

Hate led flashers. Pull them from every game I buy and its a common complaint among my friends. Why led companies think we need to see flashers from orbit is beyond me.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Why led companies think we need to see flashers from orbit is beyond me.

Because that's what people want; bigger is always better for some.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I find now at this age that my eyes have changed

I find my eyes have changed for the much better since I yanked all the led bulbs from my games.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

As everyones eyes have a different level of "Whats too bright", I find now at this age that my eyes have changed, and Ive had to change my flasher bulbs. AGAIN!. Even some Incandescent really close to the player, started hurting.

Point, after decades of welding mine might be less sensitive than others.

#37 4 years ago

I also have my flashers set to DIM in the settings, and while they do appear slightly dimmer, still not quite enough...I may try some of these diffusion tricks, before grabbing some incandescents.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Cut a milk jug into circles that fit in the flasher domes Or any other opaque plastic packaging to cover the LEDs.
    Works great. I've done it to a few pins. No milk jugs here in Canada though. So I had to find other containers.
    MMr used a sheet of opaque plastic as a LED playfield diffuser.[quoted image]

I have thought about trying out milk jugs. Thanks.

If no milk jugs in Canada what kind of containers does your milk come in?

#39 4 years ago

Been trying some 3D printed diffusers/domes on mine, but haven't had much time to really develop them.
    Maybe I need to really do some serious testing here and get them sorted out.

Couple spots in my games currently that could really use them. But haven't had enough time to play anything lately so it hasn't been a priority.

#41 4 years ago

I wonder if frosted spray paint over the LEDs would help?

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have thought about trying out milk jugs. Thanks.
    If no milk jugs in Canada what kind of containers does your milk come in?

Some convenience stores like 7/11 or circle K might have it in jugs. But in grocery stores, it's only bags or cartons.

Screenshot_20191016-140852 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191016-140852 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191016-140918 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191016-140918 (resized).png
    #43 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I find my eyes have changed for the much better since I yanked all the led bulbs from my games.

Egging me on? huh? My Answer is your either playing with great ambient light, Old games, or "ya doin it wrong".

#44 4 years ago

I replace all my flashers with LEDs, because I have seen way too many games with melted plastics and messed up electronics from the heat, but yes there needs to be some middle ground..

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Egging me on? huh? My Answer is your either playing with great ambient light, Old games, or "ya doin it wrong".

Just playing games with bulbs as they came from the factory. They always seemed to be enough then as they are now.

#46 4 years ago

If i have some LED flashers or LEDS that i want to tone down, i just use small pieces of electrical tape and cover parts or part of the LED. .

#47 4 years ago

I color matched to the domes in some of my pins. That seems to be less bright when compared to the white.

#48 4 years ago
    sharpie-30001ea-fine-point-permanent-marker-black-6f3 (resized).jpgsharpie-30001ea-fine-point-permanent-marker-black-6f3 (resized).jpg
    #49 4 years ago

Guys, guys, don't go through all that trouble messing with those troublesome flashers!

If you don't like intense flash, you can just pick up a pair of my new mod, "PINSHADIANS!", only 200 smackers!

pinshadians (resized).jpgpinshadians (resized).jpg

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just playing games with bulbs as they came from the factory. They always seemed to be enough then as they are now.

Yeah, the same way Windows 3.1 felt good enough 25 years ago.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-use-to-diffuse-led-flashers?hl=acronymicon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.