Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by latenite04
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Overhead Comparison_smallersize (resized).png
    20191223_132024 (resized).jpg
    20191223_130123 (resized).jpg
    LuxChart (resized).png
    NGGTrap_BeforeLens.gif
    NGGTrap_AfterLens.gif
    03370557-D086-4561-ABE0-07E14E9EA9B2 (resized).jpeg
    B8F708B2-B2BC-4D65-9F88-8C48B76B1F56 (resized).jpeg
    20191027_171153 (resized).jpg
    pinshadians (resized).jpg
    sharpie-30001ea-fine-point-permanent-marker-black-6f3 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191016-140852 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20191016-140918 (resized).png
    images (1) (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191016-112152 (resized).png
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

Yeah, the same way Windows 3.1 felt good enough 25 years ago.

So what are you running on your 1992 windows computer now?

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So what are you running on your 1992 windows computer now?

I don't use one because computers have gotten better.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

I don't use one because computers have gotten better.

Then I suppose you don't use old pinball machines from the 90s because they have gotten better too?

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then I suppose you don't use old pinball machines from the 90s because they have gotten better too?

That exchange reminded me of this.

#56 4 years ago

Comet has a flex fisher iv used before that tones stuff down. I just bend it to face away from the player toward the back of the machine. You get a really good flash effect with out it being right at your eyes

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

Yeah, the same way Windows 3.1 felt good enough 25 years ago.

This cracked me up, Windows was pretty shit even then, totally get the point though. I run full LEDs except flashers under a clear dome or in direct line of sight then I stick with incandescent.

#58 4 years ago

Hey, I still have my Windows 1.0 something Beta Discs!

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They haven't, but the bulbs have

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hey, I still have my Windows 1.0 something Beta Discs!

Maybe you are rich. Like those who dug up all of those games Atari buried in the landfill.

#61 4 years ago

So I tried dryer sheets stuffed into the flasher domes on the playfield, it diffused the light really well, however the brightness was still pretty high. So I put some black electrical tape on specific SMS’s that were facing me and the combination of the dryer sheets and electrical tape seemed to do the trick.

I do have some incandescent coming so I’ll throw those in as and see the difference those make.

Thanks for all the tips!
    Jim

#62 4 years ago

How about throwing a finger cot over the flasher, looks like Walgreens stocks them.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just playing games with bulbs as they came from the factory. They always seemed to be enough then as they are now.

If they had LEDs back then they would have used them.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

If they had LEDs back then they would have used them.

Not to mention new incandescent bulbs are ass with the lifespan of a mayfly.

#65 4 years ago

Best diffusers for LED flashers are incandescent flashers.

#66 4 years ago

Amazon sells "stencil paper" which are thin sheets of plastic that are opaque. Depending on where you want to place it this could work. It's cheap and thin.

1 week later
    #67 4 years ago

Played around with a few different combinations of things over the past week...and this is what I realized. LED Flashers are f@#$in' bright! Here is what I tried in my attempt to diffuse and lower the intensities a bit...

For the flashers on the playfield I used combinations of blocking off some of the diodes with black electrical tape and diffusing them by stuffing some dryer sheets in the domes...that seemed to work OK, but still not quite right. I also tried finger cots to cover the LEDs per another pinsiders suggestion...while it worked, it still didn't diffuse the light enough, and also created a yellowish/green color because of the color of the latex. I tried all of this while waiting for traditional incandescents to arrive...

I swapped in the incandescents, and they were alot brighter than I expected! However, they do have the fading out glow effect when they turn off which really seems to help as opposed to the LED strobing effect you get. I ended up putting the incandescent bulbs in the playfield EXCEPT for where I had a clear dome and wanted an actual daylight (5000k) white since the incandescents make an orange color. Luckily these are not directly in my eyes like most of the others.

I tried the incandescents in the backbox but I found the LED's to be better for this as the brighter flashes help push the light further though the artwork. After setting all of this up I finally found that setting the flashers to DIM in the settings works very well for night time play...and having them set to normal works great during the day!

I also think I need to increase the ambient light in the room a bit as well. Just thought I would share!
    Jim

#68 4 years ago

Have you tried other bulbs? The $.99 bulbs here are still quality but less output

https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/12v-bulbs

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Have you tried other bulbs? The $.99 bulbs here are still quality but less output

Yeah, I need bayonet style...those are all wedge but I had looked into those...

#70 4 years ago

Oh doh, that's a tough one. Glad you're getting it worked out.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimgravina:

Yeah, I need bayonet style...those are all wedge but I had looked into those...

There is a 4+1 SMD flasher with a bayonet base in that link

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

There is a 4+1 SMD flasher with a bayonet base in that link

Your right...didn't notice that but I don't think it would help? I had 5SMD "flashers" in that I thought were too bright But i am really liking the incandescents I put in instead This option still has 5 LEDs on so im not sure how this differs from the 5smd "flasher"

Is this one just less bright?
    Jim

#73 4 years ago

A 12V 5 SMD Flasher is about as bright as an incandescent. However because they are completely differently, a 5 SMD, depending on Location, Cap, and eyes, can appear brighter if a diode is direct in place. If a 5 SMD is too bright, Id stick with Incandescent.

(There are also Conversion sockets from a 15mm Bayonet Base to a 10-15mm Wedge, allowing any 12V Wedge bulb to work, which has more choices. See if Ryan still has some, if it helps)

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A 12V 5 SMD Flasher is about as bright as an incandescent. However because they are completely differently, a 5 SMD, depending on Location, Cap, and eyes, can appear brighter if a diode is direct in place.

Yup, I mentioned this 9 days ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-use-to-diffuse-led-flashers#post-5258689

The 5 LED tower will be fairly dim for playfield insert mounted flashers as you are effectively only seeing the top single element of the flasher.

#75 4 years ago

Anybody tried applying a dab of hot glue over the led part? Or maybe mixing a drop of white acrylic with 2 part epoxy and put a blob of that on top?

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Yup, I mentioned this 9 days ago.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-use-to-diffuse-led-flashers#post-5258689
    The 5 LED tower will be fairly dim for playfield insert mounted flashers as you are effectively only seeing the top single element of the flasher.

Sorry about that. I didnt realize that was the position of use specifically in topic.
    What do I know, anyway?

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Anybody tried applying a dab of hot glue over the led part? Or maybe mixing a drop of white acrylic with 2 part epoxy and put a blob of that on top?

Ooo...thats a good idea! I may actually try that. I could see that workin potentially.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sorry about that. I didnt realize that was the position of use specifically in topic.
    What do I know, anyway?

Easy enough to miss in the rush of posts and I phrased it a little different.

I love experimenting with LED's, I bet I have dropped at least $500 on them in the last 3 months. Easy enough to do when some games have upwards of 200 lamps! Haunted House has 55 in the backbox alone.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to have to try this also.

#80 4 years ago

If they are SMD based bulbs there are SMD lens covers that go right over the SMD. I haven't used them, but have seen them and was curious.

https://www.amazon.com/Hukai-100PCS-WS2812-APA102-WS2811/dp/B07HYXKKKC/ref=sr_1_4

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to have to try this also.

I tried this . Not sure if it will.difuse the brightness but will definately change the color.

20191027_171153 (resized).jpg20191027_171153 (resized).jpg
    #82 4 years ago

I don’t mean any disrespect, but why pay a-lot more for brighter LED flashers? Then spend time/money to dim them to match cheap incandescent bulbs. I love LED bulbs. I put them everywhere. But LEDs are not ALWAYS the answer.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

I don’t mean any disrespect, but why pay a-lot more for brighter LED flashers? Then spend time/money to dim them to match cheap incandescent bulbs. I love LED bulbs. I put them everywhere. But LEDs are not ALWAYS the answer.

Good question. I wish I knew where to buy less bright LED flashers. One good reason for switching might be if a transistor locks on, a LED probably wont melt a hole through a insert. But I think maybe the point of the thread is if the LED flashers were made with domes like 555 's , they would be perfect .

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Good question. I wish I knew where to buy less bright LED flashers. One good reason for switching might be if a transistor locks on, a LED probably wont melt a hole through a insert. But I think maybe the point of the thread is if the LED flashers were made with domes like 555 's , they would be perfect .

I linked to comet's bulbs, they have 12v bulbs which use different elements, diffuse the light differently and have different lumen output. You could replace your flasher sockets to use wedge or bayonet.

I've used almost all of those and they are all great.

Another option is modifying the spots/flashers to use lower voltage and then you can use regular lamps. I've done this on JJP games, I assume it would be similar on most other games that use 12v but I can't say for sure on flashers, only really done it on spots. Just use a DC buck board inline or at the source. I don't know enough about electronics to say for sure, maybe someone can chime in to confirm.

#85 4 years ago

I’ll probably get some eye rolls for my fix but I can assure you it works fantastic and is about as easy as it comes. I cut a strip of printer paper and doubled the thickness and then scotch taped it under the insert. It cuts the brightness down but doesn’t affect the color. Only takes a couple minutes and completely reversible.

03370557-D086-4561-ABE0-07E14E9EA9B2 (resized).jpeg03370557-D086-4561-ABE0-07E14E9EA9B2 (resized).jpegB8F708B2-B2BC-4D65-9F88-8C48B76B1F56 (resized).jpegB8F708B2-B2BC-4D65-9F88-8C48B76B1F56 (resized).jpeg
    #86 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

This. Less melting and FAR less frequent replacing of bulbs

#87 4 years ago

Personally for me I like the “crispness” of the LEDs, if that makes sense. However, I did convert some of my play field flashers to incandescents, but only ones that call for a warmer color. All of my “white” flashers are still Natural white LEDS that I toned down a bit by blocking a few diodes with electrical tape.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimgravina:

Personally for me I like the “crispness” of the LEDs, if that makes sense. However, I did convert some of my play field flashers to incandescents, but only ones that call for a warmer color. All of my “white” flashers are still Natural white LEDS that I toned down a bit by blocking a few diodes with electrical tape.

I agree. I was not going to do LEDs on any game, then I got a few and saw the results. They just look crisper, as you said. It's the whole LCD / LED debate on colorDMDs... personal preference.

Quoted from JayDee:

I’ll probably get some eye rolls for my fix but I can assure you it works fantastic and is about as easy as it comes. I cut a strip of printer paper and doubled the thickness and then scotch taped it under the insert. It cuts the brightness down but doesn’t affect the color. Only takes a couple minutes and completely reversible.[quoted image][quoted image]

I think that is as good of a solution as any. I have used the opaque stencil sheets (plastic) to do the same in other uses. The nice thing with the plastic is you can spray paint it so you can use any number of tinted or semi-transparent sprays to affect the result.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I’ll probably get some eye rolls for my fix but I can assure you it works fantastic and is about as easy as it comes. I cut a strip of printer paper and doubled the thickness and then scotch taped it under the insert. It cuts the brightness down but doesn’t affect the color. Only takes a couple minutes and completely reversible.[quoted image][quoted image]

Good idea

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

I agree. I was not going to do LEDs on any game, then I got a few and saw the results. They just look crisper, as you said. It's the whole LCD / LED debate on colorDMDs... personal preference.

I think that is as good of a solution as any. I have used the opaque stencil sheets (plastic) to do the same in other uses. The nice thing with the plastic is you can spray paint it so you can use any number of tinted or semi-transparent sprays to affect the result.

IT seems like a gigantic hole in the market to provide a solution like this - either build into /glued onto the bulbs themselves, or as an aftermarket choice. Somebody mentioned bulb condoms for flashers - that's pretty much what this would amount to, but generally you could just sell a one-size-fits-all opaque, colorless cap.

#91 4 years ago

Could probably print something. Would have to test it for a while and see what the heat buildup is like. Sadly, not all flashers are the same size/design so it would be more than one size.

2 months later
    #92 4 years ago

I stumbled on this thread while trying to decide how to fix two issues I had with the led flashers in my NGG. The ones over the ramps were too bright, especially at the beginning of multiball, and most of the ones under the playfield were dim and hard to see because they are mounted parallel to the insert. I printed clear and white caps and they make a world of difference for both issues. My upper flashers are now more in line with the brightness of an incandescent but with the crisper white I like and my under playfield flashers show up. Here are some results from my playing around.

Intensity of the light at different angles from the face of the bulb. The lenses do a good job of making the led bulb act like a traditional.
    LuxChart (resized).pngLuxChart (resized).png

Overhead Comparison_smallersize (resized).pngOverhead Comparison_smallersize (resized).png
    20191223_130123 (resized).jpg20191223_130123 (resized).jpg
    20191223_132024 (resized).jpg20191223_132024 (resized).jpg
    Trap insert before lenses
    NGGTrap_BeforeLens.gifNGGTrap_BeforeLens.gif

Trap insert after lenses
    NGGTrap_AfterLens.gifNGGTrap_AfterLens.gif

If anyone else wants to print some to try out: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4081423

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-use-to-diffuse-led-flashers/page/2?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.