• 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hey gang, been itching to get another pin. I would probably put LOTR in storage and drop another pin in its place. After a year of LOTR, what would he a good replacement. Budget 8k

#2 8 years ago

Lord of the Rings is a hard act to follow. I would suggest any of the newer Sterns. Transformers, Ironman, Spiderman, Metallica, Star Trek. All of these games are Epic and require alot of skill. I recently replaced my Lord of the Rings with Black Spiderman. Simpsons pinball party is known to be as difficult as Lord of the Rings if its a challenge you desire! Happy hunting.

#3 8 years ago

I was going to say nothing, you heartless bastard, but you went and saved yourself.

Get a TSPP

#4 8 years ago

Love TSPP. Thinking Spider-Man VE.

#6 8 years ago

Raven, and pocket the rest.

#7 8 years ago

Tron, MET, SM and RBION....in that order.

#8 8 years ago

I would say crank up the flow so probably ST Premium or Ironman VE. ST has flow and unbelievable depth and strategy opportunities but Ironman is a good old fashioned butt-whipping whose main strategy is to survive. Maybe a good middle of the road between those 2 would be Tron.

#9 8 years ago

TMNT to match the sheets.

#10 8 years ago

Serious questions only please.

#11 8 years ago

I say.....Wait a bit for Sterns next pin.
If its any of the speculation thread pins listed.
It will probably be a winner.

Spiderman re-issue w/ new art
Ghostbusters. (Maybe lcd)

These 2 seem the most likely pins up next.

#12 8 years ago

Well, with a 8K budget, you can pretty much buy anything.

#13 8 years ago

I have $150,000, what car should I buy. Looking for a good car. Thanks.

#14 8 years ago

The other best Stern.... Metallica.

#15 8 years ago

There's a Cactus Canyon in Canada for 8K. Restore it and get the proc continued software for it and you'll have a game that's more fun to play than almost any game out there.

Good luck in your search!

#16 8 years ago

If you want another deep game which is very difficult I would replace it with Xmen. Don't beleive the pinside hate, it's a great game! Calling rarehero

#18 8 years ago

After LOTR you need speed, AC/DC is the answer

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

pocket the rest.

Pffffffftttt!
Yeah, like Kaneda knows what pockets are!

Just go with the SM-VE Tetsuo, so we all can get the matching SM Stern-approved jammies when it drops!
(With grippy feet too! )
Foundation code's done, layout's proven, yet-to-be-revealed comic artwork already "mentally" better than Tobey tappity-tap-tap Man.
No brainer...

#20 8 years ago

TWD Premium or Tron

#22 8 years ago

Walking Dead, replaced my LOTR with it and not regretting it at all!

#23 8 years ago

Get a Full Throttle now then Aliens next year. 2 min playfield swap.

#24 8 years ago

WNBJM, RBION or classic EM like Surf Champ
probably get all 3 for that budget NOT!

#25 8 years ago

Lord of the rings is king, could never replace mine, but X-men is a very close second... maybe mix it up with something totally different that you might actually be able to finish like Junkyard,or scared stiff..

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Tron, MET, SM and RBION....in that order.

Funny - I'd say the same, but exactly the other way around regarding order.

#27 8 years ago

MET or WOZ. I'd say maybe Star Trek too, but after having just had a long playing fan layout game I'd lean more towards getting something a bit quicker and out-of-control playing.

AMH is a sweet pick too if you can find one.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

AMH is a sweet pick too if you can find one.

If you can get an AMH, no reason not to buy one. Probably won't lose much value if any and it's a cool game. You get rare hard to find collectible status with one too and can make threads like "What makes AMH so special?".

#29 8 years ago

I'd swap the LOTR LE with a GOT LE. The GOT has better flow, better art, and is better incorporated with the theme of the show!

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Raven, and pocket the rest.

I'm not sure if this was a joke or a real suggestion, but I am going to hope it was real. I replaced my LOTR with WOZ, but I have enough games that I didn't really need to replace it with anything...

However, if it was my only game (and I think it is your only game), I'd replace it with a classic game. Something single level, no ramps, pre-1985. At first you will think it is boring, but then the magic comes out. For under $1k you can get a great old Bally or Stern game and play the crap out of it. Learn what pinball used to be all about.

#31 8 years ago

Oh no i am serious, i am down sizing the higher end machines and just keeping the lower end pins lately.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

If you want another deep game which is very difficult I would replace it with Xmen. Don't beleive the pinside hate, it's a great game! Calling rarehero

Lol. Right !

If you go from LOTR to X-Men you'll want to murder yourself in the face. LOTR is true depth and only matched by TSPP. X-Men is fake depth. It has a million modes but none of it connects to anything else. It's just stuff. ST is similar. Lots of "stuff" but doesn't gel. Plus the shitty toys, awful voices, and all the other stuff Quartergrabber wants me to say

Spidey might be good change of pace. Fast action and true, satisfying Lyman depth.

#33 8 years ago

The Simpsons or AcDc premium would be my choice.

#34 8 years ago

STLE , GOTLE, or SM-VE

You want last ability in a small collection and I think all 3 of these pins offer that. Although, GOTLE is still yet to be determined and more of a risk but it's shaping up very nicely.

Pins like IM or ACDC, while superb games - aren't great for a single pin lineup. IMO

#35 8 years ago

Keith Johnson's code makes Lord of the Rings truly special. With that in mind, The Hobbit should added to the list of considerations as well given your budget.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

STLE , GOTLE, or SM-VE
You want last ability in a small collection and I think all 3 of these pins offer that. Although, GOTLE is still yet to be determined and more of a risk but it's shaping up very nicely.
Pins like IM or ACDC, while superb games - aren't great for a single pin lineup. IMO

There's no way Kaneda picks up GOT - he hates it....so that's out. AC/DC is an excellent single lineup game - so much variety and always fun...however I think Kaneda likes character/nostalgia/story driven themes - so Spidey's prob a safe bet.

#37 8 years ago

I would get a TWD TODAY, and then sell it and buy something later...like SMVE

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lol. Right !
If you go from LOTR to X-Men you'll want to murder yourself in the face. LOTR is true depth and only matched by TSPP. X-Men is fake depth. It has a million modes but none of it connects to anything else. It's just stuff. ST is similar. Lots of "stuff" but doesn't gel. Plus the shitty toys, awful voices, and all the other stuff Quartergrabber wants me to say
Spidey might be good change of pace. Fast action and true, satisfying Lyman depth.

And xmens biggest troll doesn't disappoint

#39 8 years ago

And xmens biggest troll doesn't disappoint

Who's the troll? You mentioned me in your original post, ya hypocrite.

Responding to a troll with an opinion in an opinion-themed post isn't trolling. Troll.

#40 8 years ago

GOT or Walking Dead (LE's , natch)

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who's the troll? You mentioned me in your original post, ya hypocrite.
Responding to a troll with an opinion in an opinion-themed post isn't trolling. Troll.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#42 8 years ago

Kaneda- how about a trip back to the 90's ...try a B/W game, like STTNG. It's nostalgic, has an immersive theme, great gameplay, great code, and innovative features. Or maybe Williams Indiana Jones, if you're more of a fan of that theme. Both of these games have the "cinematic" quality of LOTR, but higher quality audio and more robust designs. LOTR wins on depth, but those games are plenty deep and enjoyable.

#43 8 years ago

.....Scared Stiff!

#44 8 years ago

Popeye

#45 8 years ago

I'm a huge F'in hypocrite

This video is just for you, Quarterf*cker! Wear headphones

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This video is just for you, Quarterf*cker! Wear headphones
» YouTube video

Hahaahahahaha, I finally got John cena'd. Ok that was funny

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Kaneda- how about a trip back to the 90's ...try a B/W game, like STTNG. It's nostalgic, has an immersive theme, great gameplay, great code, and innovative features. Or maybe Williams Indiana Jones, if you're more of a fan of that theme. Both of these games have the "cinematic" quality of LOTR, but higher quality audio and more robust designs. LOTR wins on depth, but those games are plenty deep and enjoyable.

IMO anyone going from lotr to sttng and expecting "great code" will be sorely disappointed. Sttng is fun, great theme, awesome toys, nice shots, etc. It doesn't have great code though. I always said if there was ever a code rewrite for sttng I'll likely get another one. As it sits now it's way too unbalanced. Exploits like the video mode kill it along with ridiculous awards like 1 billion points for a set of artifacts.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'd replace it with a classic game. Something single level, no ramps, pre-1985. At first you will think it is boring, but then the magic comes out. For under $1k you can get a great old Bally or Stern game and play the crap out of it. Learn what pinball used to be all about.

If you go this route, allow me to recommend Sorcerer (which is from 1985 and has one ramp as part of the multiball capture, but otherwise fits this bill). Great art package and sound and engaging gameplay! Not quite as deep as LOTR, but I still probably end up playing it more than my DMD games.

If you're looking for another "modern" pin though, how about MMR? You could probably find someone who is sick of waiting and ready to sell. And despite all the remake controversy, MMR plays great and absolutely captures the magic of the original.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

IMO anyone going from lotr to sttng and expecting "great code" will be sorely disappointed. Sttng is fun, great theme, awesome toys, nice shots, etc. It doesn't have great code though. I always said if there was ever a code rewrite for sttng I'll likely get another one. As it sits now it's way too unbalanced. Exploits like the video mode kill it along with ridiculous awards like 1 billion points for a set of artifacts.

That's tournament logic - some don't care about that type of stuff. I enjoy the video mode and also enjoy getting the points for artifacts...you do have to collect them so it's fun to get a reward for doing so.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I've never had to play STTNG in a tournament, what are the exploits (apparently PAPA's game notes page is gone)? Memorizing holodeck seems valuable. Super spinner seems valuable. Playing through the modes and cashing in your artifacts seems valuable. Multiball seems valuable. Lack of variety is never a complaint I had with STTNG.

If you're purely in a tournament situation you're going to time out some modes, but the modes in STTNG are some of my favorite of the era. I never time them out when I play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 16.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-replace-lotr-with/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.