• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0512171918 (resized).jpg
17C58823-369B-4D95-A738-2F70DAC3709C (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Just picked up a Marilyn Taxi for my first pin and loving it. My wife an I quickly realized that a house with one pinball machine really needs two pinball machines

So I'm looking for <=$2500 "player" condition pins. I'm gravitating towards early 90's stuff, early DMD, but would be up for an early 80's solid state as well. Low maintenance is important to me. Right now I'm looking at a T2 for $2500, but my wife is interested in an X-Files for the same price. I was going to pick up a Paragon but the seller got cold feet. We'd both like a Jurassic Park, but those seem to go for about $1k more than my budget.

We love Taxi because it is simple to explain, but difficult to play well. It requires decent aim. T2 seems like a step up in complexity which I think I might enjoy.

It's an open ended question, but I thought I'd ask the community: what to pair with Taxi in a 2-pin household?

#2 6 years ago

BAD CATS and cyclone!

17C58823-369B-4D95-A738-2F70DAC3709C (resized).jpeg17C58823-369B-4D95-A738-2F70DAC3709C (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago

Whirlwind

#4 6 years ago

IMO you can't go wrong. Get any one of those. Enjoy it, and maybe trade up if its not a fit. Other's can confirm but would expect that those won't lose value as long as you keep them working.

#5 6 years ago

If its a machine you both like, you should be able to find a Jurassic Park for $2500. There are a handfull of good 90s DMDs still around that price point. I actually think The Getaway might be a good pair with Taxi.

#6 6 years ago

That XFILES is pretty nice, if it's the one I think it is.

#7 6 years ago

High speed?

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've been dropping quarters into F-14 Tomcat lately, and love the change of pace from Taxi, but too many people say it gets old too fast in a small collection. The Getaway and High Speed are on the short list. I'm realizing that maybe I want a faster pin to pair with Taxi. X-Files is supposed to be pretty fast from what I read. The X-Files scares me a bit because of some of the hate it gets, but mostly because I fear it would require quite a bit more in time/money to maintain it compared to an early Williams DMD. They only made 1,500 X-Files, so I'm a bit worried about replacement parts.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from bo0lean:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I've been dropping quarters into F-14 Tomcat lately, and love the change of pace from Taxi, but too many people say it gets old too fast in a small collection. The Getaway and High Speed are on the short list. I'm realizing that maybe I want a faster pin to pair with Taxi. X-Files is supposed to be pretty fast from what I read. The X-Files scares me a bit because of some of the hate it gets, but mostly because I fear it would require quite a bit more in time/money to maintain it compared to an early Williams DMD. They only made 1,500 X-Files, so I'm a bit worried about replacement parts.

In my opinion, I think you may be rushing things a little. Maybe play a lot more games before making a decision, maybe get you’re wife involved in the process. There’s sooo many good games, and a bunch of not so great ones, also... don’t limit yourself to games with ramps; the single level games can be just as fun or more and super fast as well.

#10 6 years ago

I think you let the wife pick out whatever she damn wants. If you don't keep her happy they will all be hers anyway.

How about a nice Xfiles?

#11 6 years ago

In my opinion, get Jurassic Park. But my opinion is heavily biased as it's a wish-list pin of mine

#12 6 years ago

Getaway would be great. So would that T2. Couldn't go wrong with either of those.

#14 6 years ago

T2 is a great game...has many familiar aspects of pinball. And its a fairly low maintenance game. The super jackpot shot is very satisfying! !

#15 6 years ago

I second this. Diner and Taxi are a great pair of system-11 games to have.

A Whirlwind or Earthshaker might be nice as well as a High Speed. The Paragon would have been nice.

DMD era you will have to luck out with the price you are looking for, but maybe T2, FT.

Skip X-Files if you don't know that you like it or not. Stick to the titles you know you can sell if you end up finding it does not fit your tastes.

#16 6 years ago

In a 2 pin collection I think Diner is too much like Taxi and rules are pretty much the same. In a larger collection absolutely they pair well together. I really like Whirlwind for a pin in that era. Getaway I would pick over High Speed even though HS was a childhood favorite of mine. Getaway offers the same layout with advanced rules and features of HS

#17 6 years ago

Since you’re in CA I suggest you and your wife make a trip to the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas and try playing several different games to see which ones you like. They’ll have most of the suggested games above and plenty more to try out.

Quoted from bo0lean:

My wife an I quickly realized that a house with one pinball machine really needs two pinball machines

And a house with two pinball machines really needs three pinball machines. And a house with three pinball machines really needs.....you get the idea!

#18 6 years ago

I own T2 and x files and no matter what anyone says x files is still one of my favorite games in my collection and it helped me win the Buffalo circuit event. They are both simpler games so if you want something with deeper rules you should keep playing more games to see what else you like.

#19 6 years ago

T2 is fun. I was also thinking Getaway reading through the entire thread. Whirlwind is a great suggestion as well. I would also suggest Earthshaker.

X files is ok but compared to Taxi... just don't assume that it's better or deeper because it has a DMD and is years newer. DE/Sega pins are a unique experience and I don't know that I would suggest that it be your first venture in to that land of confusion.

Taxi, Whirlwind, and T2 are classics and X Files is not.

As others suggested, find a barcade or location with a dozen pins and play for a couple hours. It will help clarify what is important to you in a game. "Don't buy a car without test driving it on the highway."

In my opinion, Jurassic Park, Bad Cats, and Cyclone are overpriced for the gameplay they offer.

#20 6 years ago

I vote against diner. Taxi and diner are so similar I think you're better off with more variety. I let my diner go because they feel so similar. Eatpm, whirlwind, f14 are worth looking at if you stay system 11. Check out TFTC, FT, T2, demo man if you're thinking about something a little newer.

#21 6 years ago

Actually Whirlwind and Taxi were my first 2 pins back in 1998.
So I second Whirlwind.

#22 6 years ago

My wife really likes taxi too - simple rules and and plenty of charm. Fish Tales is a great choice - my wife likes it too for similar reasons, and it is fairly fast if you wax it up and set it on the steep side. I agree that Getaway would be great. One other option to consider for a fast game with easy rule set is Eight Ball Deluxe - no DMD though, but it has some charm and will keep you occupied for a long time - challenging and very fun!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

In a 2 pin collection I think Diner is too much like Taxi and rules are pretty much the same. In a larger collection absolutely they pair well together. I really like Whirlwind for a pin in that era. Getaway I would pick over High Speed even though HS was a childhood favorite of mine. Getaway offers the same layout with advanced rules and features of HS

I agree. I had a Taxi and a Diner side by side. Both are great games, but felt they were too similiar. Getaway is a great game.....cant go wrong there

#24 6 years ago

Wow, great feedback everyone, thanks a bunch. I happen to live close to the Pacific Pinball Museum, and I get out there sometimes, but I've been meaning to make a "resarch trip" where I'd play a few titles I'm interested in owning.

As Chosen_S said, I'm probably rushing things. I've only had Taxi for 5 days. But I might get hit by a car tomorrow, so I better keep going! Just kidding, there is probably much to gain from being a bit more patient. Being new to purchasing pinballs, I don't have a great idea of how often machines on my wishlist come up locally. Am I going to wait 1 year for a Whirlwind or 1 month?

I actually really enjoy single-level games, but they are a more difficult sell to everyone else in my family. I love old drop-target EMs and early solid states. I was bummed when the Paragon deal fell through. These types of pins seem to fit my budget pretty well too. Someone mentioned Eight Ball Deluxe, and I like that game on Pinball Arcade at least, someone is selling a very nice one for $3.5k in these parts. Maybe two pins to keep the masses happy and then my third one can be in rotation and just be the most hardcore straight-pinball machine I can find.

One thing my wife mentioned is that it would be nice for our next machine to have more than 2 flippers. I would like that as well, I'd like a nice side shot into a loop or some targets or something. A game with modes is also something we'd like to explore one day. A licensed theme with great callouts and music is also something I want to try. All these things point towards Jurassic Park I suppose. X-Files only has 2 flippers, but it has the other things mentioned. T2 also only has 2 flippers, but it does have a cannon! A T2 with upgraded sound sounds awesome, but man Jurassic Park with good sound must be soooo great!

I would love every system-11 and early DMD suggestion so far I think. Those are the machines I remember in the pizza parlors growing up. X-Files and Jurassic Park came a bit later and I don't remember them, but I love the media they are both based on.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from bo0lean:

I've been dropping quarters into F-14 Tomcat lately, and love the change of pace from Taxi, but too many people say it gets old too fast in a small collection. The Getaway and High Speed are on the short list. I

Obviously get what you like, but F-14 is one of the few machines that I was actually excited to leave my collection. Great looking, but I just became disappointing that all that amazing chrome fed ball locks. There are much better System-11s if you are seeking two, IMHO. I'd look for Whirlwind or Earthshaker.

I love Fish Tales, but again I'm not sure it's the best pair with Taxi. In a two machine collection, I wouldn't want two machines with with crisscross ramps. If I ended up with those two, I'd eventually look to swap out Taxi.

Added over 6 years ago: Add Swords of Fury to my list of System 11s.

#26 6 years ago

Banzai Run is an awesome pin and one of my favorites for system 11 pins. They didn't make a lot of them and it would be hard to find one for 2500.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from bo0lean:

I don't remember them, but I love the media they are both based on.

Theme may not be the first thing you look at when deciding on a game. If you don't really play a game for an hour, you really have no idea if you really want to own one. These things are expensive and take up a lot of space.

I've played Jurassic Park and X Files maybe 40 times each. After the first dozen times I played them thinking the entire time "why do people even like these titles". Now I will only play them if I am forced to play them in league or in a tournament and I have disliked nearly every moment on both titles. It may sound harsh but I don't think that I can overlook the design choices for shots or the sound on both of those titles. I do know people that like both titles a lot and I respect their reasoning as well. If you are a superfan of either theme or have kids, they are both fairly simple games and good choices.

#29 6 years ago

T-2 is gonna get old quick. If you want something with a gun, look for a nice Dirty Harry--better game with a better use of the gun.

#30 6 years ago

Have you considered a "Ripleys"? Cost is in your area Ripleys has a very different layout!

#31 6 years ago

I've had a Dr Dude paired with my Taxi for a few years now. But now I have my Dr. Dude for sale to make way for a newer game.

#32 6 years ago

Swords of Fury, Whirlwind, High Speed, Ahh so many more.

#33 6 years ago

Jurassic Park is the first thing that comes to mind.

#34 6 years ago

Hurricane is a fun game, underrated in my opinion, and you should be able to get a nice one for $2500.

#35 6 years ago

I made a trip to the Pacific Pinball Museum to try some games out. They didn't have T2, X Files or Jurassic Park but I did get some time on a poorly maintained High Speed. I liked it. A bit simple, but it seems like it would be fun for a while. The Theme drew me in. I had a bunch of fun with Laser Cue also; I would love to have a well-maintained version of that one. Black Knight also stuck out. I played some Pinball Arcade last night and read the rules and played The Getaway and Black Knight 2000, and I think those would be great machines. They both seem like a good change of pace from Taxi and I really like the theme and rule set for both.

The big takeaway I got from the trip is that a poorly maintained pin can ruin a game. I think I'd rather have a dialed in no-name pin vs a poorly maintained big-name pin. The pins there were not in great shape, and I felt that some of the machines had too little slope making the gameplay floaty. A bunch of the machines had flipper-hop going on. I'm assuming they don't put their best stock out for the public to beat up, and they keep some tables floaty so people don't get discouraged. I played Centaur for the first time, but it was a float-fest. I think I would have liked it more if it had a steeper angle and had a cleaned up playfield. EBD was enjoyable but it had some bad bulbs and the ball would get stuck at the top of the shooter lane sometimes. The right flipper on Black Knight couldn't get it up the left ramp. It was a joy to come back to my Taxi and get some smooth and fast action going. Another random thought from the trip: Indiana Jones is fun but cluttered.

#36 6 years ago

you just may enjoy LAH, magnets and 6ball multi ball

#37 6 years ago

Yes, a bad running game can ruin a title you are checking out.

Also many people are throwing out titles not remembering some of you constraints, $ is the big one.

Play, play, play. The put you money aside and keep an eye out. And pounce when the deal comes up. Hurrying on a purchase can cost you money and ending up with a game you don't really want.

High Speed is good when dialed in. But if you can't make that upper ramp from the plunger or flipper consistently you will not like the game. There are a lot of them and they resell well.

BK good game, BK2K you might not find. Centaur is great but price seems to be out there these days.

IJ has been out of your price range since, well, since ever. Maybe a overseas container junker 15-20 years ago.

#38 6 years ago

I might be able to offer some perspective. I have two pins in my collection, one of which is a Cyclone that I will never sell due to sentimental reasons (much like your Taxi). I've tried other system 11's next to it but they seem the same. Sure they are different games, but having two games from the same era doesn't provide enough variety for me.

I'd suggest getting a dmd game as its much deeper and will do better in a small collection. Price is a big obstacle so finding something you like will be challenging. Maybe you can find a World Cup Soccer for $2500 - $3000? Personally, I'd avoid xfiles like the plague, but some people love it.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Have you considered a "Ripleys"? Cost is in your area Ripleys has a very different layout!

First of all, I just want to say Taxi is a great game. Tough to beat at any price.

Second, I was also thinking Ripley's because it's relatively cheap ($2500 may be pushing it) but the ruleset is far deeper.

#40 6 years ago

Taxi was my first pin. I wanted a whirlwind which has faster gameplay. Step it up to the next level with a Banzai run which plays extremely fast when dialed in correctly. All these game can be had for less that $2500 or less if your willing to do a little work. I couldn't have paired them up any better.

0512171918 (resized).jpg0512171918 (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Taxi was my first pin. I wanted a whirlwind which has faster gameplay. Step it up to the next level with a Banzai run which plays extremely fast when dialed in correctly. All these game can be had for less that $2500 or less if your willing to do a little work. I couldn't have paired them up any better.

ID like to see a $2500 BANZI RUN!

#42 6 years ago

I owned an X-files too and it gets old fast. Theme is great, but there are so many other games way better for the money.
WCS94 is a great recommendation. Great design, smooth ramps. Easy enough for beginners, but enough rules to give it some staying power in a collection. Mine stuck around for 10 years.

#43 6 years ago

I'll add 3 to the mix - Mousin' Around and 2 undervalued games - Road Show and World Poker Tour

#44 6 years ago

So maybe I need three pins

I say that because I can see a spot in the lineup for a "fast-action" game and a "deep" game. By "fast action", I mean a Steve Ritchie type game like some games I'm gravitating towards recently: High Speed/Getaway, Black Knight (original and 2000) F-14. Especially BK2000 and HS/Getaway: I'm not sure how to express what it is I like about these games, but they draw me in with their action and flow, and especially in the case of BK2000, the music pounds right along with the action. The BK2000 music and play makes me feel like I'm playing the climax of a He-Man cartoon, and that is a very good thing! What are the words I'm looking for here? What is this quality that these Steve Ritchie games have?

Then I can see a spot for a "deep" game, which I don't really have much experience with and don't fully understand but it seems like people recommend these types of games for home because they don't get old fast. Something like LOTR I guess. A bunch of modes, maybe linked modes, that create a long skillful path toward a wizard mode. Am I close? Is Ripley's in this category? I enjoy Ripley's, I have one at a location near me, but yeah, I don't see any for near my budget and the theme is kind of wacky.

#45 6 years ago

Bad Cats
Whirlwind
Diner?

2 weeks later
#46 6 years ago

And so the addiction begins...just one more.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from bo0lean:

So maybe I need three pins

Wait...what? You now show a JP in your collection, but no mention that you picked up a 2nd game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-pair-with-taxi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.