Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by leckmeck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Found a '63 Williams "Big Daddy" close to where I live in rural central Maine. It's been sitting for 15 or 20 years, currently in a basement and probably been right there the whole time. Was in a pizza joint before that. Backglass or 7, PF 8 (can't see if it's planked in pics, looks pretty good), cabinet looks to be a 5-6 all from pictures.presumed non-working at the moment.what's a good price to pick it up for? Same as any old EM in the same shape or does this title command a premium? I'm thinking a couple hundred, maybe a tad more?

#2 1 year ago

I’ll be surprised if this Big Daddy on eBay breaks $500:

ebay.com link » Pinball Machine

$200-300 is a fair offer. More if you really want it.

Shay is reproducing the backglass, so you’ll be able to get one of those, if needed.

#3 1 year ago

Hey thanks for that link! I searched ebay for "big daddy" and that didn't come up as it is isn't listed by name. That one looks a bit better than the one I'm chasing.

#4 1 year ago

200-300 depending on condition and non working is fair offer. If it is plug & play and in better condition than first thought
maybe go to $400.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I’ll be surprised if this Big Daddy on eBay breaks $500:
ebay.com link » Pinball Machine
$200-300 is a fair offer. More if you really want it.
Shay is reproducing the backglass, so you’ll be able to get one of those, if needed.

Bidding ended at $680, much better than I expected.

#6 1 year ago

Just got back from looking at it. I parked in the only solid spot at the top of his driveway (it's mud season here in Maine) and the guy walked out of the garage to greet me followed by his son and a cloud of pot smoke. Hey it's legal in Maine now, so whatever. He opens the Bilco doors to his basement to reveal first the effluvia of cat urine and the sorry sight of a Big Daddy standing in a puddle of water. Probably should have turned on my heel right then. After some pounding and coaxing we got the playfield glass to slide and opened it up to find a mass of green corrosion interspersed with squirrel poop and a half-eaten chicken bone! I knew from the seized shooter rod that nothing in the cabinet would move without soaking in marvel oil for days. None of the switches would ever conduct current again. Nothing in here would make it worth the effort to clean the film of mold off the sun faded playfield that had entertained so many waiting for their pizza pies under the picture window in the front of the old pizzeria. The end of the road for "Big Daddy" was at the bottom of the cellar stairs under a double-wide in backwoods Maine to serve as a squirrel hutch. No offer was tendered, just a "thank you for your time" and I left him to get back to getting high. If he messages me back for any interest at all, I may tell him I'll save him the trip to the dump and haul it off for the backglass to hang on my wall.

#8 1 year ago

Kinda reminds me of a recent trip locally to see a Genco South Pacific on Craigslist,
Up close and in person game was no where near as good as it looked in the photos.
Best to walk away.

#9 1 year ago

Best to walk away, unfortunately. Not all games can be saved, unless you throw stupid amounts of time and money on them.

#10 1 year ago

Looked at a Williams Zig Zag a few weeks back that turned into a walk away. Drove two hours into the middle of nowhere Missouri only to turn around and drive home. The game would have been worth taking at a fair price but he was at about double what I was willing to pay. The playfield would have cleaned up great but the cabinet and backglass were nowhere as nice in person as the pictures showed.

2 weeks later
#11 11 months ago

Well feed me peanuts and call me Dumbo! Guess what just popped up on FB marketplace? Big Daddy, $950. Gotta be the same machine, Same chip in the backglass, in NH about 4 hours south of me and in "95% working" shape. Never would I have thought it could ever play again. I guess I learned something about the durability of old EMs. Next time I run across an obvious lost cause, I'll probably drag it home anyway....

#12 11 months ago

Usually if they are complete and un-hacked resurrecting a dead machine isn't that big a deal. Just time consuming if you're thorough. An old EM will give you back all the love put into it.

Edit: After re-reading your description that one sounded a little worse off than your typical project. Still savable but...

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from oilspot:

effluvia of cat urine

I'm working this into a sentence over the weekend.

#14 11 months ago

It doesn’t look nearly as bad as I envisioned. Depending on what is under those awful pop bumper stickers, the playfield is actually quite promising.

They're asking $995, which is a big stretch for a game with that many cabinet issues and mechanical faults. It’s a $250 project machine in my estimation.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/249490498961370

#15 11 months ago

Off topic but my dad grew up in Dover and grandfather was town manager for 25 years back in the day. Still have a piece of Moosehead furniture.

Quoted from oilspot:

Well feed me peanuts and call me Dumbo! Guess what just popped up on FB marketplace? Big Daddy, $950. Gotta be the same machine, Same chip in the backglass, in NH about 4 hours south of me and in "95% working" shape. Never would I have thought it could ever play again. I guess I learned something about the durability of old EMs. Next time I run across an obvious lost cause, I'll probably drag it home anyway....

#16 11 months ago

Sad day when Moosehead closed up shop. I was fixing a chair made in Singapore when the news came on the radio...

8 months later
#17 88 days ago
Quoted from oilspot:

Just got back from looking at it. I parked in the only solid spot at the top of his driveway (it's mud season here in Maine) and the guy walked out of the garage to greet me followed by his son and a cloud of pot smoke. Hey it's legal in Maine now, so whatever. He opens the Bilco doors to his basement to reveal first the effluvia of cat urine and the sorry sight of a Big Daddy standing in a puddle of water. Probably should have turned on my heel right then. After some pounding and coaxing we got the playfield glass to slide and opened it up to find a mass of green corrosion interspersed with squirrel poop and a half-eaten chicken bone! I knew from the seized shooter rod that nothing in the cabinet would move without soaking in marvel oil for days. None of the switches would ever conduct current again. Nothing in here would make it worth the effort to clean the film of mold off the sun faded playfield that had entertained so many waiting for their pizza pies under the picture window in the front of the old pizzeria. The end of the road for "Big Daddy" was at the bottom of the cellar stairs under a double-wide in backwoods Maine to serve as a squirrel hutch. No offer was tendered, just a "thank you for your time" and I left him to get back to getting high. If he messages me back for any interest at all, I may tell him I'll save him the trip to the dump and haul it off for the backglass to hang on my wall.

Bumping this eulogy for Big Daddy. It’s a sad tale, well told.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 5,799.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,499.00
$ 14.00
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 26.95
$ 27.50
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 999.00
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside