(Topic ID: 173526)

What to offer for fairly broken Monster Bash?

By GotAQuestion

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by boscokid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys, this is sort of a price check, but not really because I don't have any pictures. More theorycrafting.

A pizza place local to me has two extremely busted machines. A Mario Andretti and a Monster Bash. I'm thinking of making an offer on the Monster Bash since they obviously don't care to repair them. When you start to play them, it becomes clear quickly that while the ball will plunge, the games are essentially unplayable. From trying them myself I'm assuming my offer will be more than about two years worth of their coin drop.

Monster Bash's obvious problems include:
    The scoop's metal is missing and has turned into a large playfield hole. This actually seems to be fairly common to un-cared-for MB games. Entire playfield must be replaced.
    Weak flippers, need rebuild.
    Frankenstein will not stand upright (so Frank Multiball doesn't work either).
    Bride's head does not move when she speaks.
    Very weak pop bumpers, all need rebuild.
    Loose plunger.
    Damaged wood on cabinet body and head.
    Damaged decals on cabinet body and head.

I obviously couldn't look under the playfield, but I assume it all needs to be cleaned.

I'm thinking like $4000 is a fair offer here considering I would need to shop the entire thing. I also have a hunch the owner doesn't realize nice MBs are going for 9-10k. Thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

Here's the thing...you have dreamed up this entire scenario in your head where you pose what is in your head a totally fair offer, the shopkeep listens reasonably and agrees that he doesn't need these worthless games which don't work, and sees it your way.

What you'll get is a guy who has no plans on selling these games, has no interest in selling them, and will likely respond to your unsolicited offer with either disdain or "I saw it on ebay for $10,000" greed.

So don't get your hopes up. You also don't know if he even owns these games.

You could get lucky on all of the above counts but chances are the owner isn't a moron and isn't going to sell a Monster Bash for $4,000 (regardless of condition) and throw in a Mario Andretti while he's at it. Good luck though, you never know. Most likely this will be an unfruitful and/or very frustrating experience for you. Remember, he doesn't have them for sale and he didn't ask you to make an offer so try to temper your enthusiasm and rage.

#3 7 years ago

First you've mistaken something - I don't want the Mario Andretti.

Second, I'm totally fine if he hears the offer and says "I'll only sell for $10,000". I'm just trying to come up with something on paper - in a vacuum - that's fair if he does want to sell. I have no emotional attachment to it, and there are other Monster Bash's in the world. But I'll never know if he sees $4000 or $5000 of cash in pocket as more valuable than $3 in quarters until I ask, right?

The reason I'm interested in making an offer at all is that I want a machine to shop, and I like Monster Bash. But this is by no means a "need" for me.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Second, I'm totally fine if he hears the offer and says "I'll only sell for $10,000". I'm just trying to come up with something on paper - in a vacuum - that's fair if he does want to sell. I have no emotional attachment to it, and there are other Monster Bash's in the world.
    The reason I'm interested in making an offer at all is that I want a machine to shop, and I like Monster Bash.

Monster Bash happens to be one of the most valuable classic pinball machines on the planet, and if the owner does a google search he's gonna want huge money for it. There really is no "offer on paper" here that makes any more sense than another, so you might as well offer what you are willing to pay. It's not like he's gonna see $3,000 and get pissed, but see $4,000 and think "hell yeah!"

So don't overthink it. And order a slice too.

#5 7 years ago

Are the machines his, they may be an operator.

#6 7 years ago

I bought a large pepperoni yesterday when I went to try em out

Was hoping to turn it into a regular pinball spot for me, since it's only a mile from my house, but their machines are junk

And yeah I suppose. Sales history on them ranges from about 4.5k average to now 10-15k for a really nice one. Maybe if I make him aware of the value he'll get it restored and I can still go play it on location regularly guess I'll offer $4.5k and see if I get lucky.

Edit: Significantly doubt there's an operator involved. Before I discovered these two machines here, I believed my entire city had 4 machines total. 3 of which are more or less playable. Now we appear to have 6, 3 of which are more or less playable. Small area, not much pinball.

#7 7 years ago

Photos are required to provide an accurate estimation of value.
    A good operator will know a game title's value, even if it is junk, and you will need know how to "pinball negotiate" or take someone who understands how to not "tip hand" on sales.
    It is beneficial.

Make sure you have full cash on hand if you are serious, and prepared to haul the game away immediately.
    Don't use deception in sales, it has long term consequences, the pinball world is very small.

Good deals can still be made with solid prep work and timing.

#8 7 years ago

You don't have to show pics. You are not buying that game for 4500. No way in hell. 10 years ago you had a shot though.

#9 7 years ago

You might offer to get some working games in there and keep them working for a few pizzas a month or some other non-cash deal.

Talk to the owner. Even if they want to keep the games it's worth talking to them. Mention you would like to start a regular event someday.

#10 7 years ago

Go in and don't throw out a number, just ask if he may be interested in selling. If he comes up with a crazy number just say thanks but no thanks. BUT you may be surprised if they don't make money on it and it's neglected. No harm, no foul.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Second, I'm totally fine if he hears the offer and says "I'll only sell for $10,000". I'm just trying to come up with something on paper - in a vacuum - that's fair if he does want to sell. I have no emotional attachment to it, and there are other Monster Bash's in the world. But I'll never know if he sees $4000 or $5000 of cash in pocket as more valuable than $3 in quarters until I ask, right?
    The reason I'm interested in making an offer at all is that I want a machine to shop, and I like Monster Bash. But this is by no means a "need" for me.

No no, FIRST, you're not approaching this with the smarts. He either knows the value or he values them as expendable coin drop junk. If I were you, I would not go balls out and say ''HEy, is that MB for sale, I want it!'' but more like, ''Hey, I'm a small collector of pinball machines, would you be interested in selling the PAIR? This approach takes the suspected heat off of the grail.

4 years ago, a vendor told me $3500 for a MB, I offered them $3,000 and drove home with it. If that Pizza shop was near me, I'm willing to bet the MB comes home with me for a fair price.

#12 7 years ago

Even trashed mb that boot up and are alll there command 5-6k. I Have a friend that just shipped one from france that is like the one you described but even worse and is paying 5500-6k to get it here . But will be doing a full restore which will cost alot of money and time and he cld probably have bought a nice one for what he will have in it . But he likes doing the restores so thats what matters.
    Dont hurt to try tho and id go for it... what do you have to lose...

#13 7 years ago

The "what have you got to lose" approach is more or less exactly what I'm thinking. I know a guy who recently got an AFM for waaaaaaaaaaay under value just because he asked if they'd be welling to sell it and named his max price. I kind of like the approach of asking if they'd even be willing to sell before naming a number though. Anyway I guess we'll see what happens, sounds like there really is no textbook offer here.

#14 7 years ago

I found one a few years in Virginia area in similar condition as you described above. I asked the owner of the establishment and
    he said he didn't own the machine, but he gave me the number of the vendor who did own it. I called them and made them a similar offer to yours and they said no deal...Wouldn't even entertain any other offers, stated they made good money during tourist season with it. That machine has been in that establishment for many years...

Even though my offer fell through, give yours a shot, you never know?? Good luck!

#15 7 years ago

If you want to be smart about buying it, buy both. Mario isn't something you want and understandable. If you go in strictly for the monster bash he will question whats up if he doesn't already know the value. If you are just some guy who likes pinball machines and ask about the pair its less obvious.

#16 7 years ago

Or just wait till no one is there and steal them.............Joey

#17 7 years ago

If you really want to reel the game in, tell the owner that you're a stern distributor and that you can trade and put a fresh, brand new ghostbusters pinball in its place for the two that are old and don't work correctly.

This should blow some minds.

#18 7 years ago

Echoing earlier advice, have cash in your pocket and a way to remove the game immediately.

#19 7 years ago

Gather your cash, find the guy that can say yes and open the discussion - you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

100% fact those in this thread that say don't bother do not work in sales. Prepare to be disappointed

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-offer-for-fairly-broken-monster-bash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.