Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by gatordad
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago

Keep in mind, guys, that the game could be trashed. Just because it's HUO doesn't mean it's gonna be 100% mint. He could've hosted all kinds of birthday parties with all manner of kids for many years, and never fixed anything. Maybe he's moved it a few times. Perhaps the cab is all scratched and dinged up. Ownership history has no merit above condition.

If he gets to the point of wanting to sell it, and you get to go look at it, make sure you're aware of the typical TAF trouble areas. If he asks for $2k, don't feel bad about giving it to him. It's probably going to need a lot of work anyway. If he asks for $6k, and it still needs a lot of work, you can educate him on how he's probably not going to be able to see anywhere near that amount.

People who aren't pinheads, yet still know how to use the internet, do still sell pins way under their real market value. Sometimes, all they really want is their initial investment back, and they're happy. That's exactly how I got my TZ. I paid what the buy I bought it from paid for it many years go(plus the cost of parts that he included in the deal). He knew about the internet and what TZ's were going for, hell, he bought the dang thing off eBay himself! Even then, I was able to talk him down another hundred bucks(for parts HE knew I had to buy)!

1 month later
#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

While I agree you should take a look at it for sure, it almost always means much much better than you will find anywhere else anywhere. People say HUO doesn't mean perfect, but every b/w HUO I have had or seen had been like opening the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.

But the qualifier has to be: "HUO for how long?" I've had my TAF for just over a year now, can I call it HUO? What if a TAF was routed heavily for it's first two years(enough to probably pay for itself twice over back then), then it was only in people's homes? Sure it's been HUO for decades, but those first two years of heavy routing probably put a ton of wear on the playfield that if the subsequent owners never fixed, means that HUO tag is meaningless.

I play devil's advocate only because I've seen a few so-called HUO pins that look like they just came off route yesterday. It's a term that implies a condition that is completely subjective, yet over exaggerated.

Truly, HUO is a term that should only be reserved for those games that have never had a token, or quarter, drop in them on location, anywhere. Everything else is used.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 159.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-offer-a-non-pinhead-for-huo-taf?tu=miguel351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.