Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SNL_Warren_2019_10_05_This Aint For You.gif
    88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa (resized).png
    slayer-the-repentless-killogy (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    No Stairway.gif
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

The only Zeppelin-specific thread I see here is focused on what music the game ought to include. If Beatles is our guide - and why shouldn't it be? - Zeppelin is likely to have ten-or-fewer songs, each of them represented in truncated form. At the risk of sounding unkind, I will wager that this game will *not* shine for its assets. Stern will make its sales quotas with- or without the assets, so what would compel Gary to spend the money to have GNR-level assets?

I'm more interested to hear speculation - or even advance information - on where the game will stand in the Ritchie layout evolution. I mean, with all due respect, The King has been more of an earl - or even a viscount or baron - in the last few go-'rounds. Not since AC/DC or ST have pinball fans really sung the praises of Steve Ritchie's layout designs. Therefore, how reasonable is it to expect a return to greatness for Zeppelin? What shots/features will he recycle this time? Could Zeppelin's layout be curiously reminiscent of "24," say, or Elvis or WPT? What shots/features would do the theme justice? I'm going to assume this game will have an upper PF, just because Ritchie is going to be under pressure to really "bring it" with a such a hallowed theme. He was able to lean on the Black Knight toy as a central feature in BK:SOR. What could be its counterpart on a Zeppelin layout? A lower PF is probably out as including one would be an obvious "bite" from AC/DC. How much is left in the tank for Ritchie? Will he phone it in, or will he come to play?

Another question would be, code. Timballs? Lonnie? Kyzivat/Klyce/Cheng? I realize Dwight was probably still on Turtles when Zeppelin was in development, so he is out. Lyman, however, might have been able to finish his work on E3 in time to join the Zeppelin team, since the rumor was that E3 was finished long before it debuted. Surely Stern hasn't forgotten their sales success in the last Lyman/Ritchie game, AC/DC. Ray-Day is probably still tethered to AIQ. Stern is sharing its code work increasingly among young, staff programmers. For all we know, Zeppelin could be entirely coded by programmers we've never heard of. It's important to remember though that Ritchie isn't a rules guy. He hands all of that off to the coders of his games. I'm also assuming that Elwin's coders wouldn't be on Zeppelin as they, to this point, have no experience writing rules.

The art package, too, is a bit hard to speculate on. Zombie Yeti just finished *two* art packages, so I can't imagine he's on Zeppelin. Franchi did the exquisite Beatles, but I thought his relationship with Stern was strained and that he's actually attached to CGC these days. I think we need to be ready for a relatively unknown artist on this game - Johnny Crap, for example - or perhaps someone we've never heard of. Eric hired an unknown artist to do the art package for GNR. It looks very Yeti-esque and hasn't drawn any complaints at all. Stern might have done something similar with Zeppelin. Freres or O'Connor have styles that I think would be less successful at achieving proper likenesses of the band members, so I would not expect involvement from either of them.

And how about callouts? I have ZERO expectation that any band member will do voice work for this machine, but perhaps the British voice actors who did IMDN would be a good fit.

Lastly, price: will we get Beatles-esque pricing tiers or standard-cornerstone pricing tiers?

#2 3 years ago

My guess is Tim is coding and it should be regular pricing Pro, Premium, and Le.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

The King has been more of an earl - or even a viscount or baron - in the last few go-'rounds.

He has? SW is an amazing playing pinball machine, GOT pro anyway was a blast and I love BK3.

would compel Gary to spend the money to have GNR-level assets?

Hopefully nothing. I don't want the live experience, studio versions with Maiden style modes. OG animations and the like.

And how about callouts? I have ZERO expectation that any band member will do voice work for this machine, but perhaps the British voice actors who did IMDN would be a good fit.

And that's a good thing, Met was awful for band member call outs and regardless of the band they add nothing to a pin, zero importance. I think ur right go with Maiden voice actors they did a great job.

#4 3 years ago

I expect it to be great!! Supposed to be Ritchies grail theme , I read here. I've liked all his games, expect to for this as well

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

He has? SW is an amazing playing pinball machine, GOT pro anyway was a blast and I love BK3.

Hopefully nothing. I don't want the live experience, studio versions with Maiden style modes. OG animations and the like.

And that's a good thing, Met was awful for band member call outs and regardless of the band they add nothing to a pin, zero importance. I think ur right go with Maiden voice actors they did a great job.

I like the met band call outs for the most part. Hetfield is funny

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I know u did and so did many other people and that doesn't help.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I know u did and so did many other people and that doesn't help.

Are you ever happy?

#8 3 years ago

I'll be getting LZ when it comes out...one of my favorite bands (unless it's a retread, which it probably won't be). The only thing you can expect for sure is that people will destroy it on Pinside because it's not jammed with as many toys and features as GNR. That will be the inevitable comparison, and people here get mesmerized by artwork and "stuff" on the playfield. But with SR designing it, if it's anything like his last few games, it'll be a hell of a lot of fun even if it's a relatively empty playfield.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Yeah, but Lars isnt so great.

And his call outs are terrible too.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The only thing you can expect for sure is that people will destroy it on Pinside because it's not jammed with as many toys and features as GNR.

It's already happening.

People turn into cheerleaders for these pinball makers like its some kind of competition.

Doesnt matter to me who makes what, as long as it's fun to play.

It's also implied that pinball needs to have tons of toys and lights for it to be considered the greatest thing ever, when it should really be about the layout and how it shoots and if it has good rules. Everything else is just a bonus.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Yeah, but Lars isnt so great.
    And his call outs are terrible too.

Agreed, but I like the fact they are in the game. Don't see that happening with zepp. And Ritchie likes to do his own voice in his games, bksor, acdc. Doesn't matter, im in for my first le, can't wait!!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

It's already happening.
    People turn into cheerleaders for these pinball makers like its some kind of competition.
    It's also implied that pinball needs to have tons of toys and lights for it to be considered the greatest thing ever, when it should really be about the layout and how it shoots and if it has good rules. Everything else is just a bonus.

Reason I don't have any jjp is because of the crowded fields. No flow on most, nightmare to work on. It woukd be great if no field issues, but I kinda doubt it will happen

#13 3 years ago

I would like good flow, minimal ramps/toys, great graphics/music, and it better have a Stairway to Heaven.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Reason I don't have any jjp is because of the crowded fields. No flow on most, nightmare to work on. It woukd be great if no field issues, but I kinda doubt it will happen

Yeah they're not exactly my favs either, but it's crazy how some want them to fail, or make it sound that way.

#15 3 years ago

I'm not ruling out gnr, just so expensive. Im not hoping any manufacturer fails, competition is why these games are gettin better.

Quoted from Bandit78:

I would like good flow, minimal ramps/toys, great graphics/music, and it better have a Stairway to Heaven.

Yes. Its a must havin stairway.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

When collector type editions of games became the norm in the hobby noticed less objective discussions about games and more about protecting investments.
    Own GNR AND super excited about a Richie LZ!
    Enjoy the hobby - block the noise.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

When collector type editions of games became the norm in the hobby noticed less objective discussions about games and more about protecting investments.
    Own GNR AND super excited about LZ!
    Enjoy these pins - block the noise.

Well said!

#18 3 years ago

I think the front third of the playfield will be simple. Two flippers, slingshots, not much else. Then moving towards the back a kind of Spiderman - No Fear look and feel. Good flow. And damn FAST ! Steve Ritchie FAST !

LTG : )

#19 3 years ago

I bet it'll have at least two flippers and some Led Zeppelin songs.

#20 3 years ago

Kaneda said possibly today?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'm not ruling out gnr, just so expensive. Im not hoping any manufacturer fails, competition is why these games are gettin better.

Yes. Its a must havin stairway.

Can the stairway be something other than a simple ramp? Maybe a ramp that comes up out of PF to feed a floating upper PF of sorts?

Must have a Zeppelin toy in the game too.

#22 3 years ago

Finally, a game I dont have to worry about spending money on, ever.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Finally, a game I dont have to worry about spending money on, ever.

Some said the same thing about Metallica, IMDN, and Aerosmith before they played them and ended up buying one .

Sometimes it is more about the rest of the game than theme.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Can the stairway be something other than a simple ramp? Maybe a ramp that comes up out of PF to feed a floating upper PF of sorts?
    Must have a Zeppelin toy in the game too.

Must have a Bonham bass drum bash toy.

#25 3 years ago

I find it more interesting that someone that has absolutely zero interest in a game feels the need to visit a dedicated thread about the game and leave a negative comment. Having a bad day?

#26 3 years ago

lol

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Some said the same thing about Metallica, IMDN, and Aerosmith before they played them and ended up buying one .
    Sometimes it is more about the rest of the game than theme.

I'm one of those people. I had zero interest in MET until I started paying attention to rules. Got hooked and bought one. Little interest in the music but gameplay is awesome. Thought there would be no way at all I would ever want an Iron Maiden pin. Music is terrible. Well, kind of want one because so much fun to play. Problem with Led Zeppelin is that they actually have some pretty good music. If Stern can deliver with solid art and gameplay, it will be a real winner.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Kaneda said possibly today?

He said he heard it was going on the line today or Monday and early December was the likely announcement once the European shipment was about ready.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Are you ever happy?

Happiest person ur ever gonna meet. I know in the geek pinball world happiness is defined by superhero themes and bad call outs and Wonka but my happiness derives from the dark side. Wouldn't have it any other way.

#30 3 years ago

Guys, dont hate me.
    Im buying a LE or Prem ZEP. 100%
    But, can it not have Dirty or Zombie artwork?
    Its getting....well, same ol same ol.
    Id really like a Fresh art package.
    Game play, Toys,how about a revolving upper playfield for the band, and under it is like the Gilligan's Island mech. Rotation for exits.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

how about a revolving upper playfield for the band

Nah, Zeppelin doesn't need the band to be part of it at all. The songs have enough imagery within the lyrics to have OG modes with OG animations. I wouldn't want to see a miniature stage with little plastic figurines of the members on it. Isn't it about the songs and bringing them into a pinball world. I didn't like the GnR style of live songs at all. Maiden, Met, AS they are much better in terms of style for RnR bands and pinball.

#32 3 years ago

Moby Dick Multi Ball = No Brainer

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Happiest person ur ever gonna meet. I know in the geek pinball world happiness is defined by superhero themes and bad call outs and Wonka but my happiness derives from the dark side. Wouldn't have it any other way.

You are funny guy. Im not a super hero guy or wonka either. Don't and won't own any of those. But I do like some unique callouts, would ehoh be the same without? Ya, some met are bad, win some, lose some. Have fun playing robo cop, no super hero there

#34 3 years ago

One question is, will this be another Aerosmith/Dream On situation where Stern doesn't pony up for Stairway?

#35 3 years ago

It will be a hard song to incorporate into game, same as nothing else matters from met. Too slow, unless they use the latter half of stairway. Hope its announced soon

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I find it more interesting that someone that has absolutely zero interest in a game feels the need to visit a dedicated thread about the game and leave a negative comment. Having a bad day?

Boob, easy when you move this one in to your house. I may just want to visit and play yours. Not all of us can drive into PA just to enjoy a state of the art, amazing and unparalleled pinball experience.

I will wear my Zep jean jacket and bring you a 6 pack of Zima, surely you couldn't pass on that?

#37 3 years ago

ok, we need somebody to get a photo or two of this machine.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, there's been a Zep speculation thread getting kicked around a couple years now - I was really hoping it was someone that hadn't seen it so I could swoop in and blast the shit out of them for not seeing it - so imagine my DOUBLE dismay when, not only was that not the case, but it appears this dastardly device will actually be PRODUCED. In a moment of panic and momentarily sidelined from my original plan of attack, I realized what a monetary bonus this would be for me, and expressed myself thus, only to have my newfound elation maligned by your vicious rebuttal.

i do kinda like that one song of theirs, though.

#39 3 years ago

I just hope they include ramble on. Maybe a Tolkien map type animation during the song or something.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bandit78:

It better have a Stairway to Heaven.

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Yes. It must have a stairway.

Quoted from Psw757:

Can the stairway be something other than a simple ramp?

How about a ramp like the damsel shot in MM, with a diverter where the ball can go to heaven into the back panel?

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

If Kapow is involved I want nothing to do with it

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

One question is, will this be another Aerosmith/Dream On situation where Stern doesn't pony up for Stairway?

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

It will be a hard song to incorporate into game, same as nothing else matters from met. Too slow, unless they use the latter half of stairway.

No Stairway.gifNo Stairway.gif
    #43 3 years ago

If they had William Shatner singing/ reciting Stairway, I’d be all over this pin.

#44 3 years ago

Forget Jaws...Led Zeppelin needs the shark toy. A mudshark toy lol

#45 3 years ago

We're getting ZOSO drop targets, that I am sure of.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Boob, easy when you move this one in to your house. I may just want to visit and play yours. Not all of us can drive into PA just to enjoy a state of the art, amazing and unparalleled pinball experience.
    I will wear my Zep jean jacket and bring you a 6 pack of Zima, surely you couldn't pass on that?

I think you're more likely to get an invite if you change that to a bottle of Jack and a bong....

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

If Kapow is involved I want nothing to do with it

No Kapow. It will be a normal cornerstone.

#48 3 years ago

I predict balls, flippers, and fun.

Like every other Ritchie layout of the past decade it'll be a rehash, full of tried-and-true Ritchieisms (orbits, two or three Ramps possibly
    One a third flipper shot) that make games fun.

As usual some will love it, some will hate it, some will say "I'd put a dollar into it on location, but I don't think I'll buy it!" as if that fucking means anything.

I love rock pins so I'm sure this will be another good one.

#49 3 years ago

What is a kapow game? Seem it mentioned but not exactly sure.

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-expect-from-stern-s-zeppelin?hl=rezdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.