(Topic ID: 21216)

What to expect from a new CPR playfield.

By vid1900

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jmoore211
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

centaurhelp3.jpg
    centaurhelp2.jpg
    Sexy-Raised2.jpg
    Sexy-Raised-Inserts.jpg
    Sexy-Sag3.jpg
    Sexy-Sag2.jpg
    Sexy-Sag.jpg
    DSC02969.JPG
    HOT-DOG.jpg
    PAINT-RUNS.jpg
    HOLES-AND-CRUD.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

CPR does a great job keeping us supplied with new playfields so our old pins can keep playing better than new.

****READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE: I don't want this thread to become a beat down for CPR. They do a great job. This post is just to show people what **could** arrive in your box.

Many CPR playfields are much better than these examples, but here you can see what people send me.

If you don't like your CPR playfield, you can send it out for rework, or Kevin at CPR will exchange/refund you. They stand behind their product.

I started a Space Shuttle restore, and of course as soon as people hear you are doing one, a bunch more come out of the woodwork wanting to get done. I don't mind, it's easier to do a bunch of the same title at the same time.

One customer had already bought a CPR playfield but once he got started, he quickly found he was way over his head.

All playfields have little problems, CPR, Stern and especially Williams. Some problems you would never notice unless you were looking for them. Others (like raised inserts) stand out like a sore thumb. When you have the naked playfield sitting on a rotisserie, EVERYTHING stands out.

#2 11 years ago

Here are some holes around the inserts and crud in the clear coat. This is to be expected in any playfield.

HOLES-AND-CRUD.jpgHOLES-AND-CRUD.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Here on the back of the playfield is where the gray paint had run down into the inserts.

This can be avoided by rolling the paint on "overhead" if you are restoring your own playfield.

Put your rotisserie on two sawhorses, and roll the paint on over your head.

I'll clean these out with a pick, then polish with a Dremel.

PAINT-RUNS.jpgPAINT-RUNS.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Here you can see that whoever did the clear coat, tried to wipe the crud off the hot dog while the clear was still wet.

Unfortunately, the clear was not wet enough, so the fingerprint did not flow back and fill.

You can see a little abrasion around the "defender" text from transport. This would clean up with Novus 2 instantly and is nothing to even think about.

HOT-DOG.jpgHOT-DOG.jpg

#7 11 years ago

So I'll sand and put a 2PAC clear coat over this playfield.

All of the crud will be rubbed out and the playfield will be a mirror finish.

More pictures of that coming soon...

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

AND there was paint clear through the holes on the top of the playfield overlapping art, under clearcoat.

Wow, under the clearcoat? OK, I'd not be happy with that either.

#12 11 years ago

Under the pop bumpers I would have left well enough alone.

I would not even touch it up before clearing. The old "put your effort where people will see it" thing I guess.

#16 11 years ago

I just got another SS playfield in the shop, and it has most of the same problems, especially the grey paint running into the inserts. Less crud in the clear coat though.

I wonder if CPR sends their playfields out for clear coating or does it in house. Does anybody know?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I don't know. If I was paying for playfield, and got the defects listed above.... I'd expect a refund or a better example sent out to me.

It seems extra bad because the playfield is unpopulated. Populated and with the glass on, most people are not going to be too concerned with the most of it.

I put a serious clear coat on my high end restores, so all that stuff gets knocked down and filled in anyway.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

CPR used to do it in-house, but now they send it all out to a vendor...

Thanks Stu, good to hear it from the horse's mouth.

UV cure, evap or 2 part?

5 months later
    #47 11 years ago

Marilyn.

It's funny that Williams could not afford the Marilyn license, but CPR did.

A good playfield restorer will be able to convert your Lola to Marilyn, or vise/versa no problem.

#49 11 years ago

I don't know who does the clear coating for CPR but I've now seen the worst clear job ever done by a "professional".

I've got a customer up in Detroit that I'm building a Sexy Girl for.

He has an amazing collection of pins, some restored by HEP, some by me, some 80s titles he bought NIB.

He sent me these pictures of the playfield he received early last week.

Here is the "establishing shot":

Sexy-Sag.jpgSexy-Sag.jpg

#50 11 years ago

Now just below the establishing shot is a 3mm tall sag!

Sexy-Sag2.jpgSexy-Sag2.jpg

#51 11 years ago

My stomach cramps just looking at this

Sexy-Sag3.jpgSexy-Sag3.jpg

#52 11 years ago

My customer says that this playfield was supposed to be a "Gold Class" ( "Our Gold Class candidates are the best playfields we have to offer" - says CPR).

Here are some badly raised inserts

Sexy-Raised-Inserts.jpgSexy-Raised-Inserts.jpg

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

i would be pleased enough to install if I had done that myself! But not for 599 +

How about $999?

My customer was crushed.

This was out of a run of 30 playfields. I don't know how they let it out of the shop.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-expect-from-a-new-cpr-playfield?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.