(Topic ID: 21216)

What to expect from a new CPR playfield.

By vid1900

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jmoore211
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

centaurhelp3.jpg
    centaurhelp2.jpg
    Sexy-Raised2.jpg
    Sexy-Raised-Inserts.jpg
    Sexy-Sag3.jpg
    Sexy-Sag2.jpg
    Sexy-Sag.jpg
    DSC02969.JPG
    HOT-DOG.jpg
    PAINT-RUNS.jpg
    HOLES-AND-CRUD.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

CPR does a great job keeping us supplied with new playfields so our old pins can keep playing better than new.

****READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE: I don't want this thread to become a beat down for CPR. They do a great job. This post is just to show people what **could** arrive in your box.

Many CPR playfields are much better than these examples, but here you can see what people send me.

If you don't like your CPR playfield, you can send it out for rework, or Kevin at CPR will exchange/refund you. They stand behind their product.

I started a Space Shuttle restore, and of course as soon as people hear you are doing one, a bunch more come out of the woodwork wanting to get done. I don't mind, it's easier to do a bunch of the same title at the same time.

One customer had already bought a CPR playfield but once he got started, he quickly found he was way over his head.

All playfields have little problems, CPR, Stern and especially Williams. Some problems you would never notice unless you were looking for them. Others (like raised inserts) stand out like a sore thumb. When you have the naked playfield sitting on a rotisserie, EVERYTHING stands out.

#2 11 years ago

Here are some holes around the inserts and crud in the clear coat. This is to be expected in any playfield.

HOLES-AND-CRUD.jpgHOLES-AND-CRUD.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Here on the back of the playfield is where the gray paint had run down into the inserts.

This can be avoided by rolling the paint on "overhead" if you are restoring your own playfield.

Put your rotisserie on two sawhorses, and roll the paint on over your head.

I'll clean these out with a pick, then polish with a Dremel.

PAINT-RUNS.jpgPAINT-RUNS.jpg

#4 11 years ago

I've seen and heard great things from CPR. The main thing i think ppl want is the artwork is in one piece. It may just me thinking aloud. sorry i had personal stuff to attend too, the stuff your showing us makes it look like it was rushed to be shipped.

Post edited by royce6135 : left statement open

#5 11 years ago

And?

#6 11 years ago

Here you can see that whoever did the clear coat, tried to wipe the crud off the hot dog while the clear was still wet.

Unfortunately, the clear was not wet enough, so the fingerprint did not flow back and fill.

You can see a little abrasion around the "defender" text from transport. This would clean up with Novus 2 instantly and is nothing to even think about.

HOT-DOG.jpgHOT-DOG.jpg

#7 11 years ago

So I'll sand and put a 2PAC clear coat over this playfield.

All of the crud will be rubbed out and the playfield will be a mirror finish.

More pictures of that coming soon...

#8 11 years ago

Thanks Vid...I've always wondered aboot these.

#9 11 years ago

All I'm going to say is that I sent my playfield back to CPR for paint in the inserts. There were four or five affected shown exactly like above AND there was paint clear through the holes on the top of the playfield overlapping art, under clearcoat.

They have taken care of me across two playfields with different issues, but yes, I'm slowly coming around to the fact that stuff like this is actually considered normal. No crud or holes that I saw, but did have popped inserts with torn clear on my second pf. I'll live.

I'm not sending mine back out to be recleared by them or anyone else. It's getting installed as-is. I'd rather just go ahead and do the swap at this point and then I will send it in when it actually gets some wear on the clear around those inserts. I can't wait another 4-6 months to do the swap....and I was going to have to pull everything off to do it anyways!

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

AND there was paint clear through the holes on the top of the playfield overlapping art, under clearcoat.

Wow, under the clearcoat? OK, I'd not be happy with that either.

#11 11 years ago

Yeah. They had a fair point...it was in the pop bumper area, it would've been covered up when fully assembled, but for me, it's a quality issue. I'm not a professional restorer, I'm a noob who never picked up a soldering iron for ANYTHING until this time last year! I didn't feel like dealing with the issues, and why should I. It was 600 bucks and shipping! They have taken good care of me, and they do go out of their way to explain why things happen the way they do and so on...they're good people. Stuff happens.

I still ended up with a playfield with issues in the end, lol. Karma, I guess.

#12 11 years ago

Under the pop bumpers I would have left well enough alone.

I would not even touch it up before clearing. The old "put your effort where people will see it" thing I guess.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks for the pics interesting write up.

#14 11 years ago

I guess I got lucky with my Firepower playfield from CPR. It was flawless.

DSC02969.JPGDSC02969.JPG

#15 11 years ago

I'm glad you had good luck with your FP playfield SunKing as I had bad luck mine. CPR took real good care of me on the issues I have to say. Kudos to them for the great customer service.

#16 11 years ago

I just got another SS playfield in the shop, and it has most of the same problems, especially the grey paint running into the inserts. Less crud in the clear coat though.

I wonder if CPR sends their playfields out for clear coating or does it in house. Does anybody know?

#17 11 years ago

CPR used to do it in-house, but now they send it all out to a vendor...

Stu
    CPR Art Director

#18 11 years ago

I don't know. If I was paying for playfield, and got the defects listed above.... I'd expect a refund or a better example sent out to me.

Settling for bad workmanship...would you be happy with a paint job on your car that looked like that?

#19 11 years ago

CPR has always said: "If your not happy with any of our products simply return them for a full refund"

#20 11 years ago

Good thread. I've purchased 3 CPR playfields - Black Knight, Centaur, and Fathom. So far the only problem I've had was that the lower playfield on BK didn't have a recess for the metal center ramp, like the original. It only took 10 minutes with a Dremel (and nerves of steel) to remedy that.

Overall I'm very happy with CPR's quality. I'll post pics of my BK in this thread tomorrow, so you can see how nice it turned out.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I don't know. If I was paying for playfield, and got the defects listed above.... I'd expect a refund or a better example sent out to me.

It seems extra bad because the playfield is unpopulated. Populated and with the glass on, most people are not going to be too concerned with the most of it.

I put a serious clear coat on my high end restores, so all that stuff gets knocked down and filled in anyway.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

CPR used to do it in-house, but now they send it all out to a vendor...

Thanks Stu, good to hear it from the horse's mouth.

UV cure, evap or 2 part?

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

CPR has always said: "If your not happy with any of our products simply return them for a full refund"

That's fine and dandy, but are you picking up the return shipping? Are you fixing the issues and sending it back to the customer?

If not, you're sticking the customer with a mess that they have to decide is worth flushing a not insignificant amount of money down the toilet for. Something you should be doing quality assurance on before it ships.

Those clear coat defects pictured above should be an embarrassment to you.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Good thread. I've purchased 3 CPR playfields - Black Knight, Centaur, and Fathom. So far the only problem I've had was that the lower playfield on BK didn't have a recess for the metal center ramp, like the original. It only took 10 minutes with a Dremel (and nerves of steel) to remedy that.
    Overall I'm very happy with CPR's quality. I'll post pics of my BK in this thread tomorrow, so you can see how nice it turned out.

I'm interested in any pics you have about the recess....I have a CPR BK repro to put back together in a few months but do not have the original PF anymore. Do you have pics showing the differences and were ALL CPR BK PF's this way?

#25 11 years ago

Firebaall,

CPR has ALWAYS taken care of their customers. Customers can always return for full refund. If they choose to keep the playfield they can also contact Kevin and he has ALWAYS fixed the issues and Re-Clearcoated the playfield and shipped it back to the customer at his own expense.

Let's also keep in mind that we are talking about a very select few playfields that slip through the process. CPR usually produces about 150-180 Playfields for each title, and maybe 4-5 of them have issues that need to be address and Not All titles have issues, some titles Never had Any Issues at all. That means that 145-175 Perfect ones shipped out to happy customers. So what we are really talking about here is about 3% factory Seconds!...That's Incredible for 2 guys working out of their houses! CPR is NOT a large manufacturing plant.

CPR strives to have 100% Customer Satisfaction and they go way above & beyond to get it. Nobody ever mentions the 145-175 Perfect Playfields/per Title that go out to customers, we only hear about the 4-5 individules that received one that is not up to their standards or expectations.

So I would like to give a huge shout-out to CPR for manufacturing/producing +/- 4500 Perfect Playfields. Not bad for a couple of guys working out of their house. I would also like to give an even bigger shout-out to the Artists who sacrifice their spare time, time with their families, etc. to help out this hobby in producing artwork for all our games. It's very sad that all we ever hear about is the whinning about a few hiccups here and there (which always get fixed by CPR) instead of hearing Positive things about what they are doing and the sacrifices the Artists make so we can save our games from the dumpster.

Let's be a little more positive here guys, if not for CPR most of this stuff would never get made!

Stu

#26 11 years ago

I agree with what Stu is saying. Kevin even offered to re-clearcoat my replacement playfield. I only passed on it because I just want to have a nice looking playing Shuttle for a while... been over a year now I think since I paid for the playfield..it's time.

They paid for the old one to ship back, and for the replacement to ship to me.

#27 11 years ago

I saw a SS from CPR with many of the issues shown above, I frankly don't get how it passes QC. It was returned and they sent out another field with a badly cupped insert. Adding another 300 to have the field fixed sucks IMO. The gray under the inserts was really sloppy IMO.

I'm glad these fields are getting done but it would be nice to see more care going into the clearcoat.

#28 11 years ago

Stu,

If they are taking care of the customers, and fixing the issues, that's all I need to hear.

#29 11 years ago

THANK YOU CPR!! ... I love my Firepower playfield!! ...now, how 'bout a Paragon?

#30 11 years ago

SunKing,

I'm scanning my NOS Paragon Playfield this week.

The Good News is: Jim Heck will be doing this project, so we can expect the same level of greatness that we got with the Flash Gordon artwork. Jim puts every effort into perfection.
    The Bad News is: Jim Heck is currently doing the Medusa Playfield right now (which is actually more Good News), however, he is still a ways off from being done with it. Jim spent about 2 years working on Flash Gordon I believe.
    The Good News is: Jim Heck will be doing this project!

I actually wanted to do this project myself, but Jim had requested it long before I asked for it, and to be perfectly honest, I believe Jim is the right artist for the project. I can't wait to get a new Medusa Playfield, and I'm excited that Jim is doing the artwork.

So, once again, we will all have to be patient, but do be happy that we have the right artist lined up for the project.

Stu
    CPR Art Director

#31 11 years ago

CPR like Stu said is bringing our old beat to hell Pinballs back to life. And I for one am SUPER happy with the products I've bought from them. I haven't yet bought a playfield but I will when they get to some games that I have. Keep up the good work CPR!

#32 11 years ago

Wait....isn't Paragon widebody? I thought you guys weren't DOING any more widebody after Flight 2000!!! HELLS. YEAH......maybe by the time it comes out I will be able to afford another CPR playfield.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

I'm scanning my NOS Paragon Playfield this week.
    The Good News is: Jim Heck will be doing this project

WooHoo!!! This is indeed good news. I'll be keeping my eye on the pre-order page.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

Let's be a little more positive here guys, if not for CPR most of this stuff would never get made!
    Stu

I think we happy owners need to post more pics of finished swaps. I'll start a new thread for this, and upload my pics tonight.

2 months later
    #35 11 years ago

Wow, how did I miss this thread? I really need to take a close look at mine before I swap. On the surface it looks flawless, but seeing close photos makes me question it (though I could have been one of the lucky ones).

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

WooHoo!!! This is indeed good news. I'll be keeping my eye on the pre-order page.

Dang, I missed this post. CPR Paragon! Now that's great news. FYI I have my NOS Gorgar pf at HEP. I'd consider letting you guys scan it Stu if there's interest.

Brian

#37 11 years ago

Brian, thanks for the offer but I already have one of the artists working on the Gorgar Playfield project.....

Stu

#38 11 years ago

I am really looking forward to CPR finishing the High Speed playfield. Mine is so nuked that anything is an approvement. I could live with crud and smears in the clear coat(very easy to fix) as long as the artwork is nice. Does anybody know the estimated time of completion for High Speed at CPR?

#39 11 years ago

I'm anxious for taxi, how fast are they going down the list of preorder playfields?

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm anxious for taxi, how fast are they going down the list of preorder playfields?

I would buy a Taxi PF just in the hopes that I would one day have the chance to own the game and do the swap. I love that game!

#41 11 years ago

We are still waiting for the finished High Speed Playfield artwork....so it won't go into production untill we have it in-hand.....

Stu

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

We are still waiting for the finished High Speed Playfield artwork....so it won't go into production untill we have it in-hand.....
    Stu

Thanks for the update Stu.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

Stu

I noticed the artist who was doing the HS playfield artwork is no longer listed on the cpr site (dont remember his name). I really hope he is still working on it.

#44 11 years ago

hats off to CPR for excellent customer service and continuing to connect with some really talented people that give their time to create the artwork for our hobby

#45 11 years ago

CPR rocks! Thanks for your efforts to boost the hobby. These folks are classy folks who will look after you.

2 months later
    #46 11 years ago

Does anyone know which version of the taxi playfield they are doing? Marilyn or Lola? Both?

#47 11 years ago

Marilyn.

It's funny that Williams could not afford the Marilyn license, but CPR did.

A good playfield restorer will be able to convert your Lola to Marilyn, or vise/versa no problem.

#48 11 years ago

Great, Lola is the one I want.

#49 11 years ago

I don't know who does the clear coating for CPR but I've now seen the worst clear job ever done by a "professional".

I've got a customer up in Detroit that I'm building a Sexy Girl for.

He has an amazing collection of pins, some restored by HEP, some by me, some 80s titles he bought NIB.

He sent me these pictures of the playfield he received early last week.

Here is the "establishing shot":

Sexy-Sag.jpgSexy-Sag.jpg

#50 11 years ago

Now just below the establishing shot is a 3mm tall sag!

Sexy-Sag2.jpgSexy-Sag2.jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-expect-from-a-new-cpr-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.