• Latest reply 5 years ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190114_180103 (resized).jpg
20190112_081157 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider InfiniteLives.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Alright so I picked up this Strikes and Spares awhile back because it was cheap and it worked for the most part and I wanted the MPU out of it. I have it working pretty much 100% besides a few flaky sockets and a switch or two but haven't spent any real time on it and those issues will be pretty simple. I just finished bringing and F-14 back from the dead so figured I'd start on this game next.

So the biggest thing on this game is the playfield is heavily worn, which would be fine, but a previous owner did a horrendous job trying to do touch ups.

at this point, I feel like my options are:

A) Sand it all the way down and just have a "white wood" Strikes and Spares
B) Sand it all the way down and repaint this thing from the ground up (I am color blind (red/green, blue/purple, yellow/orange) Luckily the thing is only a handful of colors
C) Replace with a decent used playfield that needs some touch ups - been searching locally and haven't come up with anything yet.
D) A option you guys can think of that I haven't. Is there a way to strip the crappy paint job without stripping the original paint?

I DO NOT want to buy a NOS or CPR Repro for this game as I don't love this game and it wouldn't be worth it to me to spend that kind of money on it

The inserts aren't raised at all and only a few are a little cupped.

The "touch-ups" are worse in person than the photo can do justice. The brush strokes are insanely bad and it is not an even coating and the color matching is criminal

20190112_081157 (resized).jpg20190112_081157 (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I'd personally try to find others who are in a similar boat and then petition for outsidedge to make a Hardtop for this title, and then install after Option A. Long shot, but probably the best outcome for long term.

Yeah, i posted in that thread and it seems at some point it will be done, but no time frame

Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Maybe a re-theme?
-Mike

I thought about a retheme but am also doing a homebrew original layout game so not really wanting to do a retheme on this at this time. thanks for the suggestion tho!

#6 5 years ago

So tonight I took some magic eraser with 91% alcohol as well as some naptha to the gross paint job and this is what I have accomplished so far...

20190114_180103 (resized).jpg20190114_180103 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider InfiniteLives.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-this-trashed-strikes-and-spares-playfield?tu=InfiniteLives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.