Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I've had STLE for 2+ years. Just recently started to put my head down and try to make progress. Still waiting for the rules document that's in progress. Sometimes (for me) I do better after I can digest the rules. I'm not as well with just figuring it out as I go. I know there's a tutorial video but that with old code. I also think it could use a final code polish but I've not heard if that'll ever happen.

I don't want to say ST is copping wood, but it's more like work to me and doesn't get me as pumped as Met, IM.

I found that I love STLE as for looks, but as for fun it's not my favorite.

My favorites are:

Met pro
Tron
IM
AcDc premium

Now I love all my pins, but STLE is one of my least favorite but has my most value. I can sell Potc or XMLE but they don't fetch as much in return. I don't mind having $4000 tied up in PotC. STLE is twice that (I mean my out of pocket money).

I was curious what advice

1) keep it and see if I get over the hump
2) trade/sell it for TWD or GOT (for example)
3) just wait another several months and see what GB looks like

I was wondering if you guys who have or had ST, TWD and GOT have an opinion on why ST is better or worse than the other two?

#2 3 years ago

I have got all three of them but i like the TWDLE the most.

#3 3 years ago

I have a GoT LE and have had a ST prem about 2 years. Played a fair amount of TWD prem also as a good friend has one. I think they are all great games, and currently the GoT LE is my favorite of the 3 but it also hasn't lost that new game shine yet. I don't have any plans to sell my ST, but if I had to make money or space for TWD or GoT I would probably exchange it for GoT prem but would keep it over TWD. Overall if you don't need the cash or the space I would just keep ST until you do, it seems the ST LE/prem are currently much more difficult to find than either TWD or GoT.

#4 3 years ago

No reason to keep a game that you don't like. Sell it and get something new. Get a GOT premium and have some money left over.

#5 3 years ago

Sell it - let someone else enjoy it. The pro is just as fun but with reduced bling and you can find them everywhere.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

I have got all three of them but i like the TWDLE the most.

I was thinking TWD as I've heard it's code is superior (GOT code is still to be determined), and maybe TWD could have more fast build up? (I've not played it much, never played the premium in fact)

To me ST doesn't get exciting that much until you make some progress deeper into the game which I am not able yet.

#7 3 years ago

GOT pro plays better then the Prem/LE IMO. Something to keep in mind if you do go that route. See if you can't get some time on both models to see which you like. Gameplay is significantly different between the models.

#8 3 years ago

Maybe you can get GOT pro and TWD pro for that money.

#9 3 years ago

I've never seen GOT of any kind, so it's hard to say, but the pro does look more like what I go for. I mean with the LE/premium the ball is hidden and get diverted all over the place. I don't understand that. probably would if I saw it in person.

How about TWD pro v premium? Missing too much stuff on the pro?

#10 3 years ago

Sell it, then stash the cash in the pinball fund and see what happens down the road

Quoted from rai:

I don't understand that. probably would if I saw it in person.

All you need to know aboot GOT prem/LE is it has an upper PF...really that's what you're paying more $$ for.

#11 3 years ago

If you want to come check out GOT premium, I am close to you. PM me.

#12 3 years ago

Just 2 weeks ago i had all 3; TWD Prem, STLE, & GOT PRO.

I sold TWD Prem. The fun factor just didnt outweigh the frustration factor for me. But it is one of Lyman's best codes ever.

STLE: I was on the brink of selling/trading this too. I decided to re-tune it and re-dial it in, replace rubbers, etc... to have fun on this pin you have to fairly consistently hit the warp ramp, mission start, and away team shots and that just wasnt happening for me until i re-dialed it in. Now i cant get away from the machine again, refound the love i have for it. I got to amok twice and nearly 5 year mission.

GOT PRO: I agree with the dude abides in that the pro is better to shoot at than its LE predecessor. Its fun and fast. Its a shooters pin with a good ruleset. There's not much going on with the pin at first glance, its just straight up fast and fun with lots of flipper action.

If you're tired of pin and ready to move on and/or rotate something fresh in, then i say go for it - get something new. I know i'll be rotating STLE out someday; maybe next week, maybe next month..hell, maybe ill have it another year. But one things for sure, when im ready to rotate in something new, i have few regrets.

#13 3 years ago

I'm on the same page as you. I sold ST Pro pretty quick, and I'm pretty sure the person I sold it to already sold it as well.

It is so very repetitive, and it doesn't give you that adrenaline pumping feeling when you play that other machines provide (i.e. Tron, IM, Metallica, TWD etc.).

Get rid of it, and play something else. I took vacation days from work to play more TWD. Hand to heart, I hated it when I first saw it. I wanted to hate it forever. I thought it looked stupid, gory, gross, etc. But then I put more time on it, tried to beat a friend's high score, and holy smokes, it just clicked. I felt the same with Metallica! If you would have told me when Metallica came out that I would own one someday I would have hurt myself laughing so hard. Borg/Lyman know how to make a pinball machine grab your attention and get your heart pumping.

All the games I have now give me that "one more" feeling after playing a game, but Star Trek, it made me want to bargain with higher powers for my free time back.

#14 3 years ago

Just to throw out there I'm looking for a STLE if anyone's selling, PM me

I'd love to find a NIB one but I doubt any of them are floating around anymore

#15 3 years ago

What I see is the difference between a mode game and non-mode games.

STLE has defined modes, and all the stacking is in the point strategies vs simply stacking 'the running modes'

The games you listed as liking are not defined mode games but more about objectives and more loosely defined 'modes' like multiballs where most of the point strategy is about getting those things stacked together or running with a 'bonus' element to have a 'blow out' where everything is scoring like mad. (playfield multipliers, etc)

TWD is going to be more like MET/IM/Tron in that regard... where GOT is somewhere inbetween.

I still think STLE is a keeper - I'd hold onto it unless you need to fund that next purchase.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What I see is the difference between a mode game and non-mode games.
STLE has defined modes, and all the stacking is in the point strategies vs simply stacking 'the running modes'
The games you listed as liking are not defined mode games but more about objectives and more loosely defined 'modes' like multiballs where most of the point strategy is about getting those things stacked together or running with a 'bonus' element to have a 'blow out' where everything is scoring like mad. (playfield multipliers, etc)
TWD is going to be more like MET/IM/Tron in that regard... where GOT is somewhere inbetween.
I still think STLE is a keeper - I'd hold onto it unless you need to fund that next purchase.

Thanks for the explanation, I recently sold SM too, somewhat like ST I feel I need a marathon game to get to the good stuff.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks for the explanation, I recently sold SM too, somewhat like ST I feel I need a marathon game to get to the good stuff.

Another element may be 'the big payoff moment' - like the song jackpot on AC/DC.. or a mini-wizard like CIU on Metallica or even SoS on TRON. Those are objectives you can hit without marathon games and they feel great when you get there with success. Contrast that with payoffs like the wizard modes on TZ, LOTR, SM, etc.. where they are much further away and take more to get there.

Objectives like Song Jackpot+multiplier are the great rules payoffs in games that make titles like AC/DC such a draw, while possibly ignoring much of the game. BSD is like that too.. just getting the three MBs stacked is a far greater payoff than any of the real 'objectives' in the game.

some games are about 'completion' - while others are more about 'aligning' two or more things for the fun. Nothing wrong with different things giving you a different payoff emotionally. It's akin to some people preferring speedy flow vs 'stop n go'.

STLE is so visually stunning and is approachable by both inexperienced players and advanced players... I think it would really get attention in any collection.

#18 3 years ago

Hitting 5+ warps in a row is more rewarding than anything else offered in those other pins and it can be done from the first plunge.

#19 3 years ago

I traded out my ST Premium after 2 yrs and I do not miss it. At my current skill level I enjoy games with not as much strategy and depth, like AFM and MB. ST was just exhausting and I never made it far enough into the game to feel like I ever accomplished anything. I enjoyed the multiballs and vengeance modes but frankly I found myself enjoying POTC, SM, IM, Tron, TF much more than ST. Which is funny as a trekkie I figured ST Premium would never leave the collection but when time to trade came the answer was ST needed to go. So I say trade it out and get something else. U can always get one back again if you really want to...

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

I traded out my ST Premium after 2 yrs and I do not miss it. At my current skill level I enjoy games with not as much strategy and depth, like AFM and MB. ST was just exhausting and I never made it far enough into the game to feel like I ever accomplished anything. I enjoyed the multiballs and vengeance modes but frankly I found myself enjoying POTC, SM, IM, Tron, TF much more than ST. Which is funny as a trekkie I figured ST Premium would never leave the collection but when time to trade came the answer was ST needed to go. So I say trade it out and get something else. U can always get one back again if you really want to...

I get this too, with my example of PotC completing the compass is the 'goal' for me, I'm not great so I'm getting almost there. But it's not too difficult almost like SOS on Tron.

I just don't feel like I'm accomplishing much on ST if I get 3 in a row. I guess it's nice to strive for a medal (more points) but it just feels like a grind at times.

I think, what's best for me is to play ST a lot. Give it a chance to speak to me. At one time I listed xmle for sale, I had not played it much due to my lack of skill making the tight Beast shot. So I kind of said to myself at least I should play it more before it gets sold to get some money's worth out of the pin, as I played was able to get some shots down better and found that it was one of my favorites. I also changed the stacking rules to better fit my skill.

Maybe that'll happen with ST, if I can get to KM a few times. See what's doing there, I've only made it once that I can recall.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hitting 5+ warps in a row is more rewarding than anything else offered in those other pins and it can be done from the first plunge.

What's that?

This is a reason why I'm looking for the rules document, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm sure some people would rather find out as they go, but for me at my skill level I'd rather know ahead of time so I can strive for something, like just focus on one aspect at a time before putting it all together.

To me ST rules are Byzantine, unknown or complex. Maybe if I had a roadmap I'd get somewhere.

#22 3 years ago

I see you have AFM listed in your "wish list", that is one of the few pins I would trade my ST Premium for. List your ST up for a really nice AFM +-$.
Done! Your welcome.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's that?
This is a reason why I'm looking for the rules document, I have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm sure some people would rather find out as they go, but for me at my skill level I'd rather know ahead of time so I can strive for something, like just focus on one aspect at a time before putting it all together.
To me ST rules are Byzantine, unknown or complex. Maybe if I had a roadmap I'd get somewhere.

I just meant hitting the warp ramp over and over is more satisfying than anything. Has nothing to do with rules. Just the challenge and satisfaction of hitting that ramp coupled with incremental warp call outs and cool warp lighting effect.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I just meant hitting the warp ramp over and over is more satisfying than anything. Has nothing to do with rules. Just the challenge and satisfaction of hitting that ramp coupled with incremental warp call outs and cool warp lighting effect.

Not to mention getting an extra ball after so many warp ramps.
On a sidenote...cant believe you contemplating selling st. I think you have analyzed this game more than anyone else as well as offered a better ruleset (which btw, thks it has helped me understand the game better than anyone else). Still loving this game.

#25 3 years ago

+1 on hitting that warp ramp over and over. Getting 6 or 7 warps right at the start of the game is such a good way to start.

Rai, I'm not sure why you are so confused over the rules. One of the things I like about ST is how easy it is to pick up on the basic rules. You have 18 modes - 6 per tier. There are rewards for getting three in a row but that really doesn't matter. The main goal is to finish each mode in a tier to get to the wizard mode. Each mode is mostly shooting the lit shots where the flashing or multicolor shot is worth more. Medals are rewarded for making more shots in level 1 modes and for making flashing shots in level2 and 3 modes. All medals no matter where you got them get cashed in before each wizard mode. Things get complicated if you are trying to go for a scoring strategy where you complete things in a certain order. That's really for the advanced player and hard to pull off. I mostly play to complete modes and try to go for double scoring through warp shots at the right time. Double scoring is started after warp 9.1 and 9.9 (9.9 also kicks out another ball in play). You can also get double the point value of a shot for hitting it on a combo. The only time I keep that in mind is when playing the final vengeance modes where it's fairly easy to hit the left ramp and then vengeance to double the final score.

Away team seems confusing at first. I had no idea what it was about for a while after getting my game. It's just an alternative mode to level 1 modes. You can score more points but not necessary.

Vengeance modes are started by hitting the drop target or by firing torpedoes using the start button when lit. The first vengeance is a mb where you just have to hit the vengeance a bunch of times. The torpedo button also counts as a hit. The 2nd vengeance is a 5 hurry up shots to the vengeance with an extra ball rewarded in the end. The 3rd vengeance is similar with 5 shots needed to sudden death. Sudden death is where you have to hit the drop target and then hit the vengeance within a small period of time. The reward for that is 10% of your score.

Klingon mb is starting with getting 3 locks - typical pinball. The goal is to hit every shot twice (ones lit red) and then hit the moving shot for double super jackpot. That's pretty tough so it's better to just try to use this mb to complete modes.

My play strategy is mostly this - play all level 1 modes in a v pattern so I get two three-in-a-row awards after playing the 5th mode. If I am playing well, I might play a few of the easier level2 modes to get more medals. Locks usually come from just playing out modes but I try to mix it with a mode. Same for vengeance modes - easy to activate. I always go for warps and try to save torpedo shots to either start a vengeance mode or use them in vengeance mb (counts as shots on vengeance to complete mode). I like to go for Away Team in level1 modes but just for fun. I try to keep track of what warp I am at so if I am close to 9.1 I will go for it before starting Kobi Maru. If the ball save is on, I might let balls drain and go for warps in a mb. I might do a few other little things to go for bigger points but that's mostly it. Just shot what is lit, take what I can get, work on ball control, and work the machine to keep the ball out of the outlanes.

#26 3 years ago

GoT pro, this game is awesome, the best combo machine. You can't stop playing it, over and over.
Not the best looking (so far), not the best music, but this machine matches perfectly my tastes, fun, fast and playing over and over factor.

As said before, GoT pro and le are 2 différent games. And the price gap ( price of a LOTR machine) does not worth it (by far) imho

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

+1 on hitting that warp ramp over and over. Getting 6 or 7 warps right at the start of the game is such a good way to start.
Rai, I'm not sure why you are so confused over the rules. One of the things I like about ST is how easy it is to pick up on the basic rules. You have 18 modes - 6 per tier. There are rewards for getting three in a row but that really doesn't matter. The main goal is to finish each mode in a tier to get to the wizard mode. Each mode is mostly shooting the lit shots where the flashing or multicolor shot is worth more. Medals are rewarded for making more shots in level 1 modes and for making flashing shots in level2 and 3 modes. All medals no matter where you got them get cashed in before each wizard mode. Things get complicated if you are trying to go for a scoring strategy where you complete things in a certain order. That's really for the advanced player and hard to pull off. I mostly play to complete modes and try to go for double scoring through warp shots at the right time. Double scoring is started after warp 9.1 and 9.9 (9.9 also kicks out another ball in play). You can also get double the point value of a shot for hitting it on a combo. The only time I keep that in mind is when playing the final vengeance modes where it's fairly easy to hit the left ramp and then vengeance to double the final score.
Away team seems confusing at first. I had no idea what it was about for a while after getting my game. It's just an alternative mode to level 1 modes. You can score more points but not necessary.
Vengeance modes are started by hitting the drop target or by firing torpedoes using the start button when lit. The first vengeance is a mb where you just have to hit the vengeance a bunch of times. The torpedo button also counts as a hit. The 2nd vengeance is a 5 hurry up shots to the vengeance with an extra ball rewarded in the end. The 3rd vengeance is similar with 5 shots needed to sudden death. Sudden death is where you have to hit the drop target and then hit the vengeance within a small period of time. The reward for that is 10% of your score.
Klingon mb is starting with getting 3 locks - typical pinball. The goal is to hit every shot twice (ones lit red) and then hit the moving shot for double super jackpot. That's pretty tough so it's better to just try to use this mb to complete modes.
My play strategy is mostly this - play all level 1 modes in a v pattern so I get two three-in-a-row awards after playing the 5th mode. If I am playing well, I might play a few of the easier level2 modes to get more medals. Locks usually come from just playing out modes but I try to mix it with a mode. Same for vengeance modes - easy to activate. I always go for warps and try to save torpedo shots to either start a vengeance mode or use them in vengeance mb (counts as shots on vengeance to complete mode). I like to go for Away Team in level1 modes but just for fun. I try to keep track of what warp I am at so if I am close to 9.1 I will go for it before starting Kobi Maru. If the ball save is on, I might let balls drain and go for warps in a mb. I might do a few other little things to go for bigger points but that's mostly it. Just shot what is lit, take what I can get, work on ball control, and work the machine to keep the ball out of the outlanes.

Thanks for the synopsis. I guess that part of the problem for me is that the modes seem very similar, I was never aware of the Klingon Battle rules, I guess due to trying to keep the balls alive more than concentrating on what shots.

Is the Vengance MB only hitting the drop target or do the ramps also score hits?

On the higher level missions, what's the multicolored shot? You said it gives you medals, does it complete the mode quicker? I seems to have a trouble with the upper level missions it doesn't seem like my shots always count, like I'll make a few lit color shots but my count down number of shots left doesn't always go down. Maybe there's roving shots and I miss the actual shot but I can't verify this since I've not played a lot of upper level missions.

More so I want the rules so that I can determine what mode play like, I know "hit the lit shots" but do some modes have less shots or more easy accomplishments? All I know is hit the lit shots so I don't really get a feel like they're different modes yet. I think that's what I need. I mean on IM I know I'm in Bogie mode or in War Machine mode or Iron Monger mode they're all quite different. With ST (to me) doesn't seem like there's a lot of differentiation.

#28 3 years ago

Simple, dump it

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

On the higher level missions, what's the multicolored shot? You said it gives you medals, does it complete the mode quicker? I seems to have a trouble with the upper level missions it doesn't seem like my shots always count, like I'll make a few lit color shots but my count down number of shots left doesn't always go down. Maybe there's roving shots and I miss the actual shot but I can't verify this since I've not played a lot of upper level missions.

In Tier 2 and 3, the blinking/color cycling shots are required to earn medals, but they count the same as a regular shot toward completing the mode. So you don't want to "waste" your hits on regular shots, blech. But look out, in KB3, the Warp ramp likes to be the blinking shot so it can be tough to earn medals there. One of the best modes is Nero 2, where you try to hit all 3 blinking shots in combo. Alpha ramp, beta ramp, left scoop for 2x bonus jackpot. Some of the modes could use some tweaking to make them more unique, but it's all fun anyway.

#30 3 years ago

Sell. ST LE. Buy a ST pro. And with the rest of the cash put it on a GOT pro. Or wait for ghostbusters. Or whatever comes out next.

Yes STLE is nice to look at. But there is honestly not that much difference in gameplay from a pro.

If you sold it for a pro. You could still enjoy ST. And have money left towards another game.

I totally understand how you feel about ST. I have been feeling the same way lately. But ST plays so nice. But the mode similarity is getting to me. I still don't think I can part with it.

The only other thing about ST that bugs me is Steve Richie had talked hype that he was going to have a ST. Because it was going to be so great. Yet in Stern's recent interview he still doesn't have a pin at home. And he didn't seem interested in owning one. He also says he doesn't get involved too much in the rules. This makes me think ST had a real lack of direction code wise and is not how he envisioned it would turn out.

But who actually knows? I hope it's code get fixed up and maybe gets modes that have variety, or at least shot variety. But I think that ship has sailed.

#31 3 years ago

Sell it, had a beautiful premium which I enjoyed, but it was the least fun. Take the money now while you can get it! When GB comes out you will not be the only one selling!

#32 3 years ago

Rai, you own it, and your gut tells you it blows. Move on. No need to write up a dissertation on it.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Maybe you can get GOT pro and TWD pro for that money.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

Sell STLE for good money and you'd almost get two pros for the same price (almost ...)

I was going to say get a STPro (basically the same game) and a TWD Pro (misses the lockdown button) ... But if you're burnt out on ST maybe get a GOT or wait a few months for a GB pro.

I've only had a few games on GOT Pro at Expo but the ruleset was pretty polished out of the box and pretty deep.

rd

#34 3 years ago

Least favorite with most value is a killer combination for time move on. Although I love ST, my problem is I stink at it and seem to be getting worse.

#35 3 years ago

What do the LEs go for?

'Like new' condition

I know Mods are not 'that' much added to the price but..
full set of Cliffy's
Blackout mod
lighted Vengeance mod
Cointaker green laser
lighted interactive Vengeance mod
Pinball Refinery Bird of prey
Pinbits plastic protector
starburst under Vengeance light
Warp Ramp Diffuser
maybe something else I've forgotten.

#36 3 years ago

I think you can easily get Low 8's for it.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

GoT pro, this game is awesome, the best combo machine. You can't stop playing it, over and over.
Not the best looking (so far), not the best music, but this machine matches perfectly my tastes, fun, fast and playing over and over factor.
As said before, GoT pro and le are 2 différent games. And the price gap ( price of a LOTR machine) does not worth it (by far) imho

I'd really recommend playing both ... I prefer the premium/LE over the pro. Love the upper playfield and throne. The pro reminded me of ToM, which I also love, but wanted more to do. Then price both out... A premium was about $1000 more and worth it, to me ...

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I'd really recommend playing both ... I prefer the premium/LE over the pro. Love the upper playfield and throne. The pro reminded me of ToM, which I also love, but wanted more to do. Then price both out... A premium was about $1000 more and worth it, to me ...

Wow you must of gotten a awesome deal bc most times premiums are 1400+ more than a pro

#39 3 years ago
#40 3 years ago

ST is a dud. The STLE is one of the most impressive LEs ever made by Stern though. They really pushed it with that cabinet, I'm guessing that was all Steve Ritchie.

TWD is pretty overrated, but I'd take that over ST any day.

GOT I am not so sure on and haven't owned it like the other 2. Only played it 10 times or so. I think it will end up being a dud in similar fashion to ST when it's all said and done time wise.

I would honestly look into other titles.

#41 3 years ago

Love ST..... Can't stop playing it. Great game that's why it's in the top 20

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

GOT? assuming you are blind. Ugliest pin I have ever seen and possibly the worst pin I have ever played.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks for the synopsis. I guess that part of the problem for me is that the modes seem very similar, I was never aware of the Klingon Battle rules, I guess due to trying to keep the balls alive more than concentrating on what shots.
Is the Vengance MB only hitting the drop target or do the ramps also score hits?
More so I want the rules so that I can determine what mode play like, I know "hit the lit shots" but do some modes have less shots or more easy accomplishments? All I know is hit the lit shots so I don't really get a feel like they're different modes yet. I think that's what I need. I mean on IM I know I'm in Bogie mode or in War Machine mode or Iron Monger mode they're all quite different. With ST (to me) doesn't seem like there's a lot of differentiation.

In vengeance mb, the left and right ramp do count as hits when lit white. Try to get the final shot on a combo for 10m. I forget which mode (STE 2,3?) but you do have to hit the flashing shot. Solid lit shots are shots you made and don't count. That one confused me for a while and don't get why it is like that. Nero3 has a moving shot that is controlled by the flippers. Craddle the ball and use the other flipper to line up an easy shot. In all other cases, the flashing lits give you more points and awards medals. Some modes have timers and some use the warp ramp which can be hard to see without the diffuser mod.

I wouldn't call ST a keeper. It's a fun game but can be frustrating working through a bunch of modes that each require a lot of shots. Between modes there is not much to do so it feels kind of linear. That said, it feels great making combos and the lightshow is fantastic. Nothing beats hitting left ramp, right ramp, left orbit, and then warp.

#44 3 years ago

Ok so solid lit shots don't count, that's something I'd like to know beforehand. I didn't know the other parts either. That's why I said the rules were confusing to me.

#45 3 years ago

Hmmm I'm pretty sure solid lit shots count. But if you're going for medals, the multi colored ones score better.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

GOT? assuming you are blind. Ugliest pin I have ever seen and possibly the worst pin I have ever played.

i suppose that the pins you love are the best you have ever played and those you hate the worst you have ever played. correct?

so i m not blind coz i told that i do no like by far the cosmetic of this one as you said too but i suppose i must have sh*** tastes coz i really think that GOT is one of the best pin ever made in gameplay, what you totally disagrees.

#47 3 years ago

The past 2 days I got a chance to play both TWD premium and GOT premium to compare with my STLE.

I was not hoping to pick winner obviously not possible since pinball is subjective, and of course initial impressions are not the same as owning a pin for a long period of time and of course I don't understand the rules. So this was more of a get to know you visit and to see what the other pins look like and such.

Both appeal to me as themes, I've not seen all the episodes, but plan to watch them as a block once their run is over that's what I did with Breaking Bad.

Looks:
TWD is appropriately dark with very nice PF art dark and brooding, perhaps a tad bit too dark in places, but actually nicely so since it fits the atmosphere of the genre. Like the GI lighting but didn't find the color changing inserts to be as impressive
GOT the actual artwork was better than I'd thought but more functional than spectacular much lie, ST. I'm a sucker for color changing inserts and this has them in spades. The color changing inserts are better done on GOT than TWD much more impressive and the GI is nice on Blackwater MB, but overall the lighting was too brite, burn my cornea brite. I'm not saying ST isn't brite, but GOT is in a whole other galaxy. I'd hope Stern can include and adjustment but not sure. I like to play in the dark or semi-dark so that's likely a source of the problem.
STLE has the best color inserts to date, the PF while not outstanding like Metallica or even TWD, but it's functional on par with GOT.

Rules (dots, call outs, intensity of play)
This is impossible to say since I've played less than 20 games on the new pins but overall probably like TWD rules, dots better found it more intense and pressure packed. I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do but still was super fun. GOT was good, not incredible yet, there was a lot of houses to play but they kind of feel generic (I have the same complaint about ST) however that's just my superficial impression. I really like the Blackwater MB great light show, probably more fun than any MB on ST (although I've not really played the level 1,2,3 MB on ST yet so just going by the Klingon and Vengeance MB).

Layout
TWD is more interesting more geometry while GOT seems to be straight shooting for the most part. Probably prefer TWD but were aspects that I didn't like such as BG bash target, barn head bash target both were meh. I was not a huge fan of the barn. It's ok but not awe inspiring. Well walker was nice enough but not my favorite shot since you can hit it without any trouble.
GOT is 'shot poor' although I can say that for a lot of pins that I like such as AcDc, ST, IM, Met etc.. Not horrible but less interesting than a pin like Tspp or TWD I like inner loops or sideways loops while this is more or orbits and ramps and the ramps were less inspiring the right ramp feeds the upper PF and the left ramp is kind of hidden while I know it's a ramp it's just not as satisfying as some ramps. The upper PF add some shots, I wasn't totally satisfied with the upper PF as its kind of repetitive (can say the same thing about AcDc or any other mini PF) but I just don't love it to death when I factor in that it takes over a third of the entire game real estate. IMO, I'd rather have a mini like Tspp let me see more of the main PF. But it does look nice and impressive.

#48 3 years ago

What have I found about these three pins? They're all very nice IMO. I was trying to decide if one clearly is better or worse, but so far they're all nice. Began to play STLE more intensively. Found there's a lot to like even with the rules not being my favorite, the shots are satisfying and while the mode start is difficult that may tend to shorten the games time moreso than a it being a drain monster. Spiderman might have been too long and ST added an element to shorten the ball time a bit with the mode start shot.

I may follow advice here and make ST a 5 ball game for a bit to get to see more of the rules before returning to my preferred 3 ball game.

#49 3 years ago

rai, I know your still waiting on a rules doc, but in the mean time, with some intel I/we can give you a game plan or two to try and help you enjoy the game a little more.

What shot(s) do you like to make?
What shot makes you drain the most?
Can you hit either the spinner or Alpha ramp from the left flipper on the fly?
Do you trap the ball ever, or just shoot for combos?
How many modes a game do you get through?

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hmmm I'm pretty sure solid lit shots count. But if you're going for medals, the multi colored ones score better.

I think it's DTD2 that I am thinking of were some shots you make stay lit and shooting them again does not reduce your shot count for the mode. It's a mode I don't play very often so I forget. That and Nero3 are kind of confusing but most modes are very straightforward - shoot lit shots. For me, ST works well as a fun shooting game with great flow. I often just play level1 modes, go for gold medals, and try to do well in Kobi Maru. You can end up with a really good score doing only that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside