(Topic ID: 100493)

What to do with old playfields?

By wayout440

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8563.JPG
    IMG_8560.JPG
    photo 2-8.JPG
    61114.jpg
    IMG_5643.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    20140827_174821.jpg
    20140827_174844.jpg
    old-refrigerator-igloo.jpg
    image.jpg
    10387640_10203166616663923_4735319945879210142_n.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Clever use of some unwanted pinball playfields spotted in front of PAPA this weekend. Anyone else recycle playfields into something useful?

10387640_10203166616663923_4735319945879210142_n.jpg10387640_10203166616663923_4735319945879210142_n.jpg

#2 9 years ago

ugh, that's awful

At least sell or give them to someone who can repair them. That playfield didn't look too bad...at least before getting butchered

#3 9 years ago

?WTF?

I have a friend that bolts old playfield to the ceiling of his shed

#4 9 years ago

Anything crappy enough to be "upcycled" is going to look crappy as whatever you make it into. It's like that pinball desk from a month ago: http://i.imgur.com/m2eRDoN.jpg

#5 9 years ago

I try to touch up old fields so that they're good enough to replace someone's worse field.

#6 9 years ago

I have a High Speed playfield, that is beat.

I may sand it down and have a "white wood" High Speed playfield, that I could actually put back into my game if I wanted to.

#7 9 years ago

Suspended ceiling tiles in my game room. Best part is if I need one, I can always swap it out. (Pics tomorrow)

#8 9 years ago

If it cant be used in a machine I would use a playfield to make a coffee table. currently building a wide body Genie coffee table for game room.

#10 9 years ago

Now that's freaking cool pmwolf. Would love to do something like that

#11 9 years ago

Thinking of turning into bar stool tops. Bit of clear acrylic to fill in the holes, or there would be some interesing bum dimples.

#12 9 years ago

That ceiling looks fantastic.
    Sort of a Sistine Chapel for the pinball faithful...

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

ugh, that's awful
    At least sell or give them to someone who can repair them. That playfield didn't look too bad...at least before getting butchered

Hey bud, I didn't build it. What you see is about one square foot of playfield - so you really don't know how bad the old playfields were or if they were warped. We're discussing playfields that are deemed as not worth restoring, and usually that's because there are better examples that can be found that can be restored.

You might not be happy with it, but at least the birds are.

#14 9 years ago

Just thinking, if you could touch them up put some clear coat on them a sheet of glass and legs could be a cool coffee table!

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Anything crappy enough to be "upcycled" is going to look crappy as whatever you make it into. It's like that pinball desk from a month ago: http://i.imgur.com/m2eRDoN.jpg

That might be your opinion, but a lot of folks recycle everything - no matter how bad it is - into interesting items, artwork. Check out what you can do with 322 old refrigerators.

http://gajitz.com/second-lives-for-electronics-5-obsolete-tech-sculptures/

old-refrigerator-igloo.jpgold-refrigerator-igloo.jpg

1 week later
    #16 9 years ago

Not as psycho as pmWolf.

20140827_174844.jpg20140827_174844.jpg
    20140827_174821.jpg20140827_174821.jpg

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Not as psycho as pmWolf.

Me neither, but this is how I did mine. Sorry you have to see an unfinished wall/ceiling. Once the ceiling is drywalled they will be flush with it.

IMG_5633.JPGIMG_5633.JPG

This is how they will look in the finished game room...

#18 9 years ago

That's freaking cool...

#19 9 years ago

That is sick!!!

#20 9 years ago

Christmas lights? Or Ardino?

#21 9 years ago

I'd just like a few old playfields to learn touching up, maybe even build a custom machine with...

#22 9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Christmas lights? Or Ardino?

Neither actually. Better than Christmas lights, but not as fancy as Arduino. I'm just using the 16' 5050 RGB LEDs cut into 6 strips and using the standard flash patterns that are programmed into the module. I initially bought this to use white super bright LEDs as a constant-on backlight. I had given up on using fluorescent lighting as it was just too bulky and rope lighting was too hard to work with and didn't provide enough light. But when I fired this up for the initial test it came up in a full color flashing pattern and I was just blown away.

IMG_5643.JPGIMG_5643.JPG

#23 9 years ago

Dothedoo, that looks awesome !!!

I wish my old playfields looked good enough to do this. The High Speed and Eight Ball Deluxe that I have a pretty beat.

1 week later
    #24 9 years ago

This is still a top contender... Freaking gorgeous, GoneFishinLvMsg.

61114.jpg61114.jpg

#25 9 years ago

Very cool bar top. Are the inserts lit?

#26 9 years ago

Led's driven with velleman 10 channel light chaser ...

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from TrainH2o:

Very cool bar top. Are the inserts lit?

Yup, and a keg inside - see the thread link:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-attempt-at-clearcoating-a-playfield/page/2

#28 9 years ago

Nice !!! I just happen to be a home brewer who kegs, just no room to set up a permanent bar. Hopefully I will in our next house.

Great work !!!

#29 9 years ago

I normally hang mine in my game room as wall art, but my wife wanted to put some in the front room of our house to replace a picture we recently gave away. My wife loves pinball too!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

photo 2-8.JPGphoto 2-8.JPG
    IMG_8560.JPGIMG_8560.JPG

#30 9 years ago

How are you able to play that Batman Forever lol

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

How are you able to play that Batman Forever lol

It looks crowded, but there is plenty of room!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

IMG_8563.JPGIMG_8563.JPG

#32 9 years ago

Ahhh your're right.
    Was an odd angle

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-old-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.