Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What should I do with the old parts?”

• Throw them away 3 votes
      9%
    • Keep them, you never know 20 votes
      61%
    • Sell them 6 votes
      18%
    • Clean them and re-use them 4 votes
      12%

(33 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0468 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I've done some major refurbishments on a few machines including TAF, STTNG, IJ. In many cases I installed new plastics, new ramps, new toys, translites, speaker panels, coils etc. But I've kept all the old parts which almost always are dirty, yellowed, broken etc..... I keep telling myself I need to do something with this pile of crap. What should I do?

#2 6 years ago

One mans junk could be an other mans treasure.... Sell

#3 6 years ago

Put it on eBay and put "***RARE***" in the title. Take some photos with a 1999 flip phone camera so they're nice and grainy. Ship the parts in recycled "Hair Club for Men" boxes. Slingshot plastics should always be listed at $23.99 each, and keyfob plastics at $59.99 each. Your goal is not to sell parts but to annoy other pinball enthusiasts trying to find a good deal on eBay.

#4 6 years ago

About once a year I sort thru all the junk and usually throw a few useless parts away. Then by the next year there is even more junk to go thru.

#5 6 years ago

I find it really hard to deal with old parts. I always try and move my old parts but people are weird about it. I don't care about a used part, If I found a better part the old one has no value you to me, so if someone needs it they can have it for the price to ship it. I find if you say something is too cheap people jump all over it and I suspect they are trying to scalp the part. Also I've had people want me to ship a part a really long way and it makes me skeptical. I find selling used DMD particularly difficult.

#6 6 years ago

I keep them and give them to Pinsiders who need them.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I've done some major refurbishments on a few machines including TAF, STTNG, IJ. In many cases I installed new plastics, new ramps, new toys, translites, speaker panels, coils etc. But I've kept all the old parts which almost always are dirty, yellowed, broken etc..... I keep telling myself I need to do something with this pile of crap. What should I do?

This is why man invented flea markets at pinball shows

#8 6 years ago

This all came about when I decided to try and organize all of my "spare" new parts. It's quite possible I am a pinball parts hoarder

IMG_0468 (resized).jpgIMG_0468 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I find it really hard to deal with old parts. I always try and move my old parts but people are weird about it. I don't care about a used part, If I found a better part the old one has no value you to me, so if someone needs it they can have it for the price to ship it. I find if you say something is too cheap people jump all over it and I suspect they are trying to scalp the part. Also I've had people want me to ship a part a really long way and it makes me skeptical. I find selling used DMD particularly difficult.

yeah, I have 8 old DMD's from ColorDMD upgrades......Can't bring myself to toss those either

#10 6 years ago

Wow this thread is perfectly timed.
    As I'm finishing up a SBM restore, I'm still looking at all the old parts I pulled and replaced, just can't throw out. I'll keep an eye on this topic for guidance!

Guess it's time to hit up this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-pinball-stuff-thread

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

yeah, I have 8 old DMD's from ColorDMD upgrades......Can't bring myself to toss those either

Yeah I can't toss them and selling them cheap is a hassle. The kind of thing I want to move for a case of beer.

#12 6 years ago

I think the best option was already stated: give them to other Pinsiders who need ‘em!!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I finally decided I needed to get rid of some of my stuff. I just sold 8 good DMD's for about $700. Two to one guy and six to another. Pretty simple.

I throw lots of trashed stuff away. Some stuff I keep. Just because. Maybe someday. But doing restorations, I get way more than the average guy and it just piles up if I don't deal with it on a regular basis.

As for giving to Pinsiders, I'd love to be able too. The problem is posting it and having to ship it. Takes too much time.

#14 6 years ago

You guys old parts is treasure compared to my boxes of old flipper pawls, switches, and junk I can't even name.

#15 6 years ago

I weed out the truly destroyed parts and toss those.

Everything else I either keep or try to resell. Although, it's sometimes tough to sell game-specific parts, unless it's a highly coveted part that's hard to obtain.

It's also kind of a pain to take the time to take photos and list parts, so they mostly just sit in boxes. Still good enough to reuse, not valuable enough to bother wasting much time on, but still handy to have if you really need it.

Though, if I see a WTB ad for something I don't need, I usually try to respond to it.

#16 6 years ago

last year i took some old parts to pinball at the zoo and added them to john dayhuffs free table ........gone before the end of the day

#17 6 years ago

I keep just about everything unless it's really trashed. Sometimes you can make something useful from something else. Make a diverter from an old ball guide. Make a plastic spacer from a coin chute. Hell, I've fixed my gas grill and snowblower from old flipper parts. You never know...

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's also kind of a pain to take the time to take photos and list parts, so they mostly just sit in boxes. Still good enough to reuse, not valuable enough to bother wasting much time on, but still handy to have if you really need it.

I have PILES and boxes of parts. I've been in the hobby/ business a long while so I have lots of "stuff". I sell very little because of the idiots you have to deal with now a days, it's just not worth the frustration.

#19 6 years ago

Send them to the old pinball parts Clearinghouse, my address.
    Or spread them out flat and take a picture, list them as "Pinball parts Lot".

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think the best option was already stated: give them to other Pinsiders who need ‘em!!

You know what! I like this idea. I will sort through the parts and then start a thread where people can ask for whatever used parts they need in exchange for paying shipping. Perfect idea.

#21 6 years ago

Trade them to Libyans for plutonium.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

#23 6 years ago

You could make a minions or a crazy mansion pin.

#24 6 years ago

I'd keep them if you think you could ever use them and if you can't, give them to other pinsiders who could use them. Unless they are in really bad condition, I wouldn't throw them away.

#25 6 years ago

If the parts are unuseable, toss them
    if they can be used, either sell them, or give them to fellow pinsiders for their games
    I have had parts sitting on shelves for 10 years, then suddenly somebody wanted that obscure part, and I was the only one willing to pass it on
    (plastic for an EM, transformer for a Hankin, light shields for sys1))

building up karma points is always good

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Hell, I've fixed my gas grill and snowblower from old flipper parts. You never know...

I can see it now........press a button and the grill flips your burgers.

#27 6 years ago

I have sent many pins to the dump or the fire pit. Salvage what can be used to keep better pins going. The warehouse raids 15-20 years ago are long gone. Always liked buying 5-7 Bally electronic projects or junkers for parts every few months. Having the tail gate down on the F-150 in the winter with pins hanging off on the highway. At one time I was buying em projects for $100, & most didn't get working. I still junk many em's coming in for service since it's not cost effective (many hours to get working).

The old service tech 1960's on would tell me how much Jukebox stuff went to the dump. They would just push it off the trucks at the dump complete. Same with pinball machines & vids. One high end arcade closed & stored the games for years. Only to send the mint games to the dump. We had operators filling their dumpsters with games before pick up. Very little parts salvaged since most had earned their keep, & not worth while taking up space. I'm sure there are still many warehouses being plowed under with amusement stuff inside.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Free flux capacitor with every purchase!!

#29 6 years ago

When I replace drop targets, plastics, bumper caps, etc.,
    I take the used stuff and put in in a ziplock bag, and keep it with the machine the stuff goes to.
    I mostly route machines I go through, so now I have spare parts at the location! Or maybe someday down the road, the new parts I installed are in worse shape than the originals.
    In any case, that feels better than just throwing away usable old parts.
    I don't usually replace ramps and such, not sure things that large would fit inside the games.
    If I do replace a ramp, the old one is usually beyond usable, so they get thrown out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-old-parts?hl=fatcake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.