(Topic ID: 138995)

What to do with ball guides that Mike Chestnut won't work on?

By Collin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0910151834b.jpg
0910151834.jpg
really-seth-and-amy_1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I sent some parts to Chestnut for chroming, including some Elektra ball guides. He said he won't touch them, despite me having done what he said to clean them up beforehand. I'm pretty disappointed, as this is the last thing I needed to compete my restoration. Barring some solution, I'm stuck parting out an otherwise pretty nice game that I've already sunk a fair bit of money into. I'm not trying to call anyone out; I JUST want to be able to put this game back together.

Any suggestions on what I can do? I'm not looking for anything resembling perfection, just something I can throw back on the game that isn't a total embarrassment. Should I sand and paint them? Some way I can put a new finish on them myself? Is there someone else who might have the cojones to tackle them?

#2 8 years ago

Just asking … Why have them Chromed and not just polish them?

#3 8 years ago

How bad are they that he won't touch them?

#4 8 years ago

Don't know enough about what kind of prep work is required, but maybe look into powder coating them? Search the forums, there's people on here who do it and could advise you whether it's an option.

Kyle

#5 8 years ago

They had some pretty heavy rust at the bottom. I put them through some CLR (not as good as I was led to believe) and out them through the ultrasonic cleaner. Some of the original plating is gone, so this won't just "polish out."

#6 8 years ago

Post some pictures of them. Might help people to help you.

#7 8 years ago

Find another chromer near you! Mike is not the only game in town when it comes to chrome...
I remember using Bikes2nv to chrome motorcycle parts. Talk to them...

#8 8 years ago

These show the worst of it; they're a little less rusty than they look, but the CLR turned some of the plating a copper-y color 0910151834.jpg0910151834.jpg0910151834b.jpg0910151834b.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Somebody was saying that Chestnut wasn't taking any more work. Just for clarification: He accepted the job, then saw the ball guides, then said he couldn't do it? Or he flat out said he wouldn't do it?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

...this is the last thing I needed to compete my restoration. Barring some solution, I'm stuck parting out an otherwise pretty nice game that I've already sunk a fair bit of money into. blockquote>

really-seth-and-amy_1.jpgreally-seth-and-amy_1.jpg

#11 8 years ago

All those parts will polish out to look like chrome. It will take time, a grinder with a buffing pad and lots of burnt fingers. Be careful I had a piece slip out of my hands and cut an inch long gash right between my eyes.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

These show the worst of it; they're a little less rusty than they look, but the CLR turned some of the plating a copper-y color 0910151834.jpg 0910151834b.jpg

I can see why they would've been refused.

Start the cleaning process again--ultrasonic, rinse well, then instead of CLR try evaporust for a few hours (advanced auto carries it). Then rinse well and dry.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

really-seth-and-amy_1.jpg

The upper and lower playfields are nicer than most, and the backglass is perfect. I'm having new ramps made.

So yes, really.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Somebody was saying that Chestnut wasn't taking any more work. Just for clarification: He accepted the job, then saw the ball guides, then said he couldn't do it? Or he flat out said he wouldn't do it?

He said he'd take parts from me a month or two ago; I just was really slow getting them out to him because I wanted to try to clean them up first. We can see how well that went!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can see why they would've been refused.
Start the cleaning process again--ultrasonic, rinse well, then instead of CLR try evaporust for a few hours (advanced auto carries it). Then rinse well and dry.

Yeah, I don't really blame him (though he saw pictures before I sent them in.)

All I care about is some sort of solution

#16 8 years ago

Evaporust might take all of that off, then you might be able to get them powder coated at least.

#18 8 years ago

I have used 'Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver' to remove rust from metal parts on an old soda vending machine and on metal pinball parts and it has worked pretty well for me. You may want to give it a go.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt_naval/overview/Loctite-Naval-Jelly-Rust-Dissolver.htm

Gord

#19 8 years ago

Evaporust and powder coat dark blue. It'd look awesome. If you need to move onto another one, and sell this one, let me know. I'll buy it.
I powdercoated my Flash Gordon rusted-out chrome red, and it looks awesome, and has held up.

#20 8 years ago

You could get a sanding wheel for a drill and make them look like new in a few minutes.

#21 8 years ago

If Mike says he won't/can't do them, you best bet he knows what he's talking about. There's no one better at this IMHO and I honestly believe that if he could have made it work for you he would have. With that said, if you are able to get the rust off the parts, a bench buffer w/metal polish will make an incredible difference and you may not need to have the parts re-plated after all.

Good Luck!

#22 8 years ago

Make new one as per Vid's or Redketchup method

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-stargazer-crazy-project/page/2

Gates can be had at PBR

Bring it to a local plater for sandblasting and chrome/zinc/nickle

#23 8 years ago

Thanks for the input, guys! Sounds like powdercoating is going to be the way to go

#24 8 years ago

Sandblast them then try chroming.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-ball-guides-that-mike-chestnut-wont-work-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.