Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do with this 1975 Atlantis (one of my "Holy Grail" games I really want in my collection)?”

• Search for a donor cabinet of the same era and pay for, or do, a complete repaint. 24 votes
    57%
  • Have a brand new cabinet built and painted, and then continue with the PF restoration as described above 12 votes
    29%
  • Cut my losses and try to part-out the game -- selling the back-glass, mechanicals, reels, etc. -- and look for another Atlantis 3 votes
    7%
  • Other (Please describe) 3 votes
    7%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160822_194118 (resized).jpg
20160821_171227a_(resized).jpg
20160810_194216_resized_(resized).jpg
IMG_7320_(resized).jpg
IMG_7318_(resized).jpg
IMG_7315_(resized).jpg
IMG_7316_(resized).jpg
IMG_7284_(resized).jpg
IMG_7283_(resized).jpg
IMG_7282_(resized).jpg
20160224_142641_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(resized).jpg
IMG_1073_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1076_(resized).jpg
IMG_1066_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

It is a grail game ( for you) and a keeper
I'd look for a donor cabinet, but plan on building a new one

Find a donor cabinet like Pete said. This is probably the most prolific Gottlieb cabinet size/style out there in the donor market.

I actually salvaged a Gottlieb Gemini this way about a decade ago. I didn't even get the body cabinet as it was so waterlogged it was mush. Besides the complete head and playfield, the rest of the parts came to me in a box. Still got it running.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

If I were to go the donor-cabinet route, what is the range of games that are potential donors? All Gottlieb 70s wedgeheads, for instance? How wide a net can I cast?

1967 to 1975 will be safe. You're looking for where they eliminated the ball lift and had the broader neck. From King of Diamonds (1/67) on to about Gold Strike (11/75).

The few exceptions to this would be the baseball/football theme games in this era that had the auto plungers and even then all you would have to do is install a hole for the shooter rod. Otherwise single or multiplayer bodies are basically the same.

1 month later
#56 8 years ago

Well done so far.

#60 8 years ago

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate it. I have never done anything like this in my life, so I'm going very slowly. Since I'm new at this, I know I won't do it perfectly, but I am happy so far with my progress. I'm learning alot! Hopefully by this time next week I'll be done painting and can start to assess what I'll be doing with/for cabinet hardware. I'm probably going to buy a new door and coin entry plate from PBR, and new legs. I will use Evapo-Rust and fine steel wool to clean up the existing side-rails. But I'm getting ahead of myself. More painting pics coming soon...

Painting is all in the prep. So if you have the cabinet solid and flat then defects won't show through the paint, even though the company(ies) that Gottlieb got their cabinets from were not always perfect.

The next part is to get the sheen to look right. Often when painting it might look like you have coverage but when viewed in the proper light you may see that the coverage and the sheen is inconsistent. The sheen is based on the paint you select - semigloss is what I would choose and assume you did as well.

What your picture shows is you have the prep and paint application/sheen down correct.

3 weeks later
#109 8 years ago

Unless there is damage to the red star play field inserts I would leave them alone. This is one area where the enemy of good is better.

And I saw only one mylar pop bumper ring. You have two pop bumpers and need two of these.

#111 8 years ago

He has both the red playfield inserts and the white stars included on his list.

#114 8 years ago

The reason to leave the red star inserts in place is more the chance that you damage the playfield along the way or the new ones don't go in well. Why mess with it?

Unless one or some of the tabs that keep the star rollover pin in the insert are broken off and the insert does not actuate well. That would be a reason to consider replacing them.

Again, the concept of the enemy of good is better.

#120 8 years ago

For the effort you are going to rebuild the pops and flippers.

For pops you need two each of coil sleeves, metal links, fiber links and plungers.

For the flippers you want two each of coil sleeves, coil stops, and plunger/link assemblies. Inspect the flipper bushings and replace if the flange is split. If not you should be fine with the originals.

One special touch I apply to flippers is to throw away the 1/8" head set screws and replace them with 8-32 x 3/8" socket head cap screws. Not sure if PBR sells them but you can get them in the specialty drawers at your local Ace or True Value hardware store. Once you break off one of the originals in the crank arm you will swear off using the originals ever again.

This is the minimum that will insure best operation.

1 month later
#137 8 years ago

Does anyone either have an extra one of those brackets around, or know if PBR has them?

I have one if it turns out you need one.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

most of that you can just bend back into shape, pretty pliable

I'm with Ken on this one. They aren't so precision that you can't bend both of those back into place.

You may have to disassemble that flat plate to get to it but you should have no issue getting both of those straight. And I would not hesitate to address them with this approach if they were in my own game.

#142 8 years ago

Is it a right hand or left hand?

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#147 8 years ago

Way to go, Mark. I bet it works fine for you.

1 week later
#154 8 years ago

The fuse you solder to the breaker doesn't matter since it needs to be an open fuse. So a blown 15A is fine to use.

1 week later
#165 8 years ago

8. “Tacks” for back? (the white plastic “tacks” that are in the back of the game for when it’s stood on end. Not sure where to get these).

PBR sells them. Called "Nylon Gliders" for $0.25 each. Listed under tools/supplies on their webpage. Or you can by something similar intended for the base of kitchen chair legs at the big box home improvement stores or hardware stores for $2-$3.

Regarding the pop bumpers its your call. Does it look good to you? Then that's good enough.

I'm interested in your opinion on the playfield protector. I thought about trying one until someone commented that you have to remove the bagatelle wire forms to install it. No way am I pulling those to protect the playfield. Pulling them can damage the playfield and they never go back in as snug as they were originally.

#166 8 years ago

And in the picture of your pop bumper coil brackets - I would invert the position of the solder tabs so they are away from the stop end which I believe would match the orientation from the factory. You don't want the solder tabs near the stops to minimize vibration. Granted, the flipper coils do not comply with this approach. If there were enough length on flipper coil wires I would flip them around but there is not.

#169 8 years ago

The perfect paper would be a card stock with a slight gloss. You will probably have a hard time finding the slight gloss.

Color would be an off white. Keep in mind the cards you see on games have aged.

Print with laser jet.

#174 8 years ago

Two fiber washers underneath each bar at the base of the post.

4 weeks later
#226 8 years ago

What about Target Alpha?

Above the top left corner of the coin door.

5 months later
#233 7 years ago

E2E looks right. An extra coat would dial it in if needed.

#235 7 years ago

I don't know how you could get those colors closer. Well done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-atlantis?tu=mikeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.