Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do with this 1975 Atlantis (one of my "Holy Grail" games I really want in my collection)?”

• Search for a donor cabinet of the same era and pay for, or do, a complete repaint. 24 votes
    57%
  • Have a brand new cabinet built and painted, and then continue with the PF restoration as described above 12 votes
    29%
  • Cut my losses and try to part-out the game -- selling the back-glass, mechanicals, reels, etc. -- and look for another Atlantis 3 votes
    7%
  • Other (Please describe) 3 votes
    7%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160822_194118 (resized).jpg
20160821_171227a_(resized).jpg
20160810_194216_resized_(resized).jpg
IMG_7320_(resized).jpg
IMG_7318_(resized).jpg
IMG_7315_(resized).jpg
IMG_7316_(resized).jpg
IMG_7284_(resized).jpg
IMG_7283_(resized).jpg
IMG_7282_(resized).jpg
20160224_142641_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(resized).jpg
IMG_1073_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1076_(resized).jpg
IMG_1066_(resized).jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 8 years ago

At 1400 invested in the condition you've gotten it to, you are doing just fine. Paid a bit more for mine and no playfield protector/new drops/new cabinet paint job/cleaned up guts. Looks great. I was the other in line for that but too many projects so also glad you got it!

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from PatrickB:

I dont see any difference..
Just kidding, you did a great job of restauration..! Thumbs up.!

Thanks, Patrick!

#203 8 years ago

Does anyone have an image they can post showing the exploded view of the ball-kicker assembly for an Atlantis (or similar game) from the Parts Manual?

I am trying to decide which parts I need to buy from PBR to get mine working and am not sure all of the names. I would greatly appreciate it. This part is the very last thing I need to get working to have Atlantis playing as good as it looks. Thanks!

#204 8 years ago

20160224_142641_(resized).jpg20160224_142641_(resized).jpg

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

20160224_142641_(resized).jpg

Excellent, thank you!

#206 8 years ago

As another option, I think I might have a complete ball hole kicker off of a parts game I have if you need it - I would have to go look to make sure.

#207 8 years ago

Wow, beautiful looking game! You should be proud!

#208 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow, beautiful looking game! You should be proud!

Thanks, Ryan! I'm very proud of it -- it's a ton of fun to play, too. A real butt-kicker, but sometimes when that ball gets flying around and you get a successful 5,000 drop target blue/white shot, followed by another, and then several of the lit numbered rollovers in a row as the ball goes down the right side of the playfield, it's a thrill!

#209 8 years ago

Here's a shot of the repro instruction cards (I did the whole set) I printed over the weekend last week, using Inkochito's files and a metallic card-stock paper that really looks sharp:

IMG_7282_(resized).jpgIMG_7282_(resized).jpg
IMG_7283_(resized).jpgIMG_7283_(resized).jpg
IMG_7284_(resized).jpgIMG_7284_(resized).jpg

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Does anyone have an image they can post showing the exploded view of the ball-kicker assembly for an Atlantis (or similar game) from the Parts Manual?
I am trying to decide which parts I need to buy from PBR to get mine working and am not sure all of the names. I would greatly appreciate it. This part is the very last thing I need to get working to have Atlantis playing as good as it looks. Thanks!

EDIT:
So I think I solved the ball-kicker issue. The hole the ball falls into (the outhole) is very slightly oval. I took the apron off and noticed that sometimes, the ball came to rest on the left side of the oval, cradled in the cam as it's supposed to be. In those instances, the ball would travel through the trough correctly over to the shooter-lane.

But sometimes, the ball would come to rest on the right side of the oval, and I realized that the way the switch blade was bent, it was creating a little "pocket" where the ball could rest between the end of the blade and the right-hand edge of the oval. The blade had enough tension it could hold the ball there. In those instances, the ball was not propelled successfully to the shooter-lane and would only be remedied once it bounced over to the left side of the oval. So, I simply bent the switch blade far enough to the right so that it JUST makes when the ball lands on it, but far enough so it forces the ball back to the left side of the oval correctly.

I've played 10 games or so since I did this, with the apron back on, and it's worked 100%. So, fingers crossed, I think I solved it and now have a 100% functioning (and fun!) Atlantis.

1 week later
#211 8 years ago

A couple of questions and an update for the gang:

I got the repro Manufacturer's Certificate that I made printed and added it to the game last night -- looks great and really finishes off the restoration nicely. Big thanks to dasvis for the font suggestion to fill in the game-name and serial number, and to Jr. for the files.

IMG_7316_(resized).jpgIMG_7316_(resized).jpg
IMG_7315_(resized).jpgIMG_7315_(resized).jpg

Another question, has anyone ever tried to replicate the stamped serial number on the front of a cabinet? Since this was a donor cabinet and a full repaint, it doesn't have the game's serial number stamped on the front of it.

IMG_7318_(resized).jpgIMG_7318_(resized).jpg

In looking at a game like my Quick Draw (see below), it looks like it's actually stamped into the wood a little bit (recesssed a bit?). Is that correct? How would one try to replicate that?

IMG_7320_(resized).jpgIMG_7320_(resized).jpg

I also am thinking of finding a stencil for the font that dasvis recommended in two sizes and stamping the top of the game's head and the little support bar inside the bottom of the game (where the hasp for the coin box is mounted) with its correct original serial number too, to match the Manufacturer's Certificate. Anyone ever done that? Any tips on a stencil and ink for that?

Thanks!

#212 8 years ago

Lots of number stamping sets on eBay, but size and font might be a problem. Keeping the alignment even with individual punches is tricky also.
Then there's this http://www.numberall.com

Great job with your Atlantis!

#213 8 years ago

Nice job Mark - that's a beautiful Atlantis!

#214 8 years ago

I have a stamping kit if you want to borrow it.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbee:

Lots of number stamping sets on eBay, but size and font might be a problem. Keeping the alignment even with individual punches is tricky also.
Then there's this http://www.numberall.com
Great job with your Atlantis!

Thanks, Pinbee!

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Nice job Mark - that's a beautiful Atlantis!

Thanks, Tim! Coming from a collector like you that means alot! I appreciate it!

Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Thanks, Todd! I will send you a PM on that!

#216 8 years ago

Super restoration!

Ken

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Super restoration!
Ken

Thank you Ken! I really do appreciate it, and I couldn't have done it without the help of so many Pinsiders! Now if I could just get that damn ball-kicker to work 100%, haha.

#218 8 years ago

Now if I could just get that damn ball-kicker to work 100%, haha.

Sometimes adjustments take going over it what seems to be a 100 times to get something to work 100%. I have a K&Q that the "W" Relay keeps going out of adjustment so I keep at it as I know one day that blade will be positioned exactly where it wants to be to work and stay that way. Patients is a virtue on EM's for sure along with Tenacity, luckily I have both, seems like you do as well. Good Luck!

Ken

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Regarding the front stamping, was the location of the stamp up to the whim of the guy who stamped it? My Quick Draw is slightly offset to the right, but below the coin door. My Bank-A-Ball looks dead-center, also below the coin door. Just curious. I'd like to use PinPlayer1967's stamping kit on my Atlantis and also on my Target Alpha (also a repaint from a previous owner). Wasn't sure if dead-center was correct on both, or?

#220 8 years ago

Regarding the front stamping, was the location of the stamp up to the whim of the guy who stamped it? My Quick Draw is slightly offset to the right, but below the coin door. My Bank-A-Ball looks dead-center, also below the coin door. Just curious. I'd like to use PinPlayer1967's stamping kit on my Atlantis and also on my Target Alpha (also a repaint from a previous owner). Wasn't sure if dead-center was correct on both, or?

All of my Gottlieb machines have it center under the coin return.

#221 8 years ago

It moved to the top left side above the coin door on later 70's games, but yes, Atlantis should be close to center below the coin door.

#222 8 years ago

Great work on that game. It looks fantastic! Were the original pops green? The green ones look great, but they're only on the sample game. I'm not sure about the early production games, but some of those also had the alternate crescent type credit window. The regular production models had red pops, of course.

#223 8 years ago

Oh, I see from the earlier photos that it originally had red pop bumper bodies. What made you go with the green ones? I do like the look of them on that game.

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Oh, I see from the earlier photos that it originally had red pop bumper bodies. What made you go with the green ones? I do like the look of them on that game.

Thanks, Jr. Yeah, I think I mentioned this in an earlier post: Basically, I ordered green bumper bodies because I had seen that online and thought that was correct. Jimmy at PBR explained it was the sample games, and if that's the color I chose, it should have the white skirts. So I went with it. I figured since the cabinet was a complete reproduction I'd just go with that. But I'm definitely not trying to pass it off down the road as a sample game. Just thought it looked cool. I don't plan on this one ever leaving my collection.

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

It moved to the top left side above the coin door on later 70's games, but yes, Atlantis should be close to center below the coin door.

What about Target Alpha?

#226 8 years ago

What about Target Alpha?

Above the top left corner of the coin door.

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Above the top left corner of the coin door.

Cool. Aligned with the left edge of the door? Anyone have a picture of that stamping position?

#228 8 years ago

Thanks, Jr. Yeah, I think I mentioned this in an earlier post: Basically, I ordered green bumper bodies because I had seen that online and thought that was correct. Jimmy at PBR explained it was the sample games, and if that's the color I chose, it should have the white skirts. So I went with it. I figured since the cabinet was a complete reproduction I'd just go with that. But I'm definitely not trying to pass it off down the road as a sample game. Just thought it looked cool. I don't plan on this one ever leaving my collection.

I dig the green I'm going that route on my restore as well

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I dig the green I'm going that route on my restore as well

Very cool -- good luck, and post photos!

#230 8 years ago

I will Mark. Thanks again for the paint color info. I'll be laying down some color next week.

5 months later
#231 7 years ago

Another Atlantis about to undergo restoration...

20160810_194216_resized_(resized).jpg20160810_194216_resized_(resized).jpg

#232 7 years ago

Struggling to come up with a rattle can green. Rustoleum SeaGlass Seafoam dont cut it. Tempted to use a Montana black series E2E green, its a pretty pale green. Or Hippie...but Hippie seems to intense.

20160821_171227a_(resized).jpg20160821_171227a_(resized).jpg

#233 7 years ago

E2E looks right. An extra coat would dial it in if needed.

#234 7 years ago

E2E and Rust, Montana Black series

20160822_194118 (resized).jpg20160822_194118 (resized).jpg

#235 7 years ago

I don't know how you could get those colors closer. Well done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-atlantis/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.