Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do with this 1975 Atlantis (one of my "Holy Grail" games I really want in my collection)?”

• Search for a donor cabinet of the same era and pay for, or do, a complete repaint. 24 votes
    57%
  • Have a brand new cabinet built and painted, and then continue with the PF restoration as described above 12 votes
    29%
  • Cut my losses and try to part-out the game -- selling the back-glass, mechanicals, reels, etc. -- and look for another Atlantis 3 votes
    7%
  • Other (Please describe) 3 votes
    7%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160822_194118 (resized).jpg
20160821_171227a_(resized).jpg
20160810_194216_resized_(resized).jpg
IMG_7320_(resized).jpg
IMG_7318_(resized).jpg
IMG_7315_(resized).jpg
IMG_7316_(resized).jpg
IMG_7284_(resized).jpg
IMG_7283_(resized).jpg
IMG_7282_(resized).jpg
20160224_142641_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(resized).jpg
IMG_1073_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1076_(resized).jpg
IMG_1066_(resized).jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 8 years ago

Ok, it's time for me to start thinking about paint as I try to resurrect this great old game. I am interested to see if any of you have painted an Atlantis and can give me recommendations for paint colors.

I've had suggested an antique white for the base coat, which I'll likely do. Any particular kind/finish of paint you recommend? (I do not have a sprayer, so I'll need to either roll on the base coat or rattle-can it).

I've also had suggested Krylon Pistachio for the green, and a Burgundy color for the "red" (both in Satin?).

For the spatter, I've had recommended a Krylon gloss black and then using the technique of dipping a firm brush into some of the paint sprayed into a cup and flecking it on that way.

Would love suggestions. Thanks guys!

3 weeks later
#52 8 years ago

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I've made good progress, albeit slowly, in painting.

I completely stripped the cabinet of the old paint. Used Bondo to fill in a few imperfections.

IMG_6556.jpgIMG_6556.jpg
IMG_6557.jpgIMG_6557.jpg

Did lots of block sanding, and then put on two coats of white primer, sanding in between.

IMG_6593.jpgIMG_6593.jpg
IMG_6592.jpgIMG_6592.jpg
IMG_6595.jpgIMG_6595.jpg

After that I did two coats of antique white base coat, sanding in between, and then did the black spatter paint using Clay's technique and a stiff brush. I'm very pleased with how that part turned out:

IMG_6604.jpgIMG_6604.jpg
IMG_6603.jpgIMG_6603.jpg

#53 8 years ago

My stencils from Pinball Pimp arrived, and after laying them out flat so they could "relax" after being rolled in a shipping tube, I got to work on the first color. Atlantis uses a "Burgundy Red" and a "Sea Green" color for the stencils. The stencils are designed such that you do the red first and then overlay the green.

IMG_6591.jpgIMG_6591.jpg

So far, I've only done the red on one side (this evening) but so far so good. I have a tiny bit of over-spray on one fish's tail, and a tiny bit on the sea-plant closest to the flipper-button hole. But I'm not too fussed about that, as even the factory machines often had some over-spray.

Very slowly, it's starting to look like a Gottlieb Atlantis cabinet:

IMG_6628.jpgIMG_6628.jpg
IMG_6629.jpgIMG_6629.jpg

I also wanted to see what the Sea Green color looks like with the antique white and so went ahead and did the pedestal, which turned out nicely:

IMG_6627.jpgIMG_6627.jpg

#54 8 years ago

You're going to want to also spray/spatter the top insides of the bottom cab (left and right), like the original.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You're going to want to also spray/spatter the top insides of the bottom cab (left and right), like the original.

Good call. I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. The small exposed edges on either side of the inside of the cabinet, correct? Will have to do some judicious taping-off and carefully do that, but should be pretty doable. Thanks, Dirt!

#56 8 years ago

Well done so far.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Well done so far.

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate it. I have never done anything like this in my life, so I'm going very slowly. Since I'm new at this, I know I won't do it perfectly, but I am happy so far with my progress. I'm learning alot! Hopefully by this time next week I'll be done painting and can start to assess what I'll be doing with/for cabinet hardware. I'm probably going to buy a new door and coin entry plate from PBR, and new legs. I will use Evapo-Rust and fine steel wool to clean up the existing side-rails. But I'm getting ahead of myself. More painting pics coming soon...

#58 8 years ago

Absolutely amazing job. I am jealous no doubt!! Keep it up. My Atlantis cab was a mess too when I got it. No sh$t, after driving 18 hours round trip and spening the night in a hotel to get her, I damn near cried when I got home and my girlfriend went home. Thought what the hell did I do. Oh well, it turned out OK. Nice work man!!

G

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Absolutely amazing job. I am jealous no doubt!! Keep it up. My Atlantis cab was a mess too when I got it. No sh$t, after driving 18 hours round trip and spening the night in a hotel to get her, I damn near cried when I got home and my girlfriend went home. Thought what the hell did I do. Oh well, it turned out OK. Nice work man!!
G

Thanks GPS. I have a LONG way to go, but so far so good, I think.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate it. I have never done anything like this in my life, so I'm going very slowly. Since I'm new at this, I know I won't do it perfectly, but I am happy so far with my progress. I'm learning alot! Hopefully by this time next week I'll be done painting and can start to assess what I'll be doing with/for cabinet hardware. I'm probably going to buy a new door and coin entry plate from PBR, and new legs. I will use Evapo-Rust and fine steel wool to clean up the existing side-rails. But I'm getting ahead of myself. More painting pics coming soon...

Painting is all in the prep. So if you have the cabinet solid and flat then defects won't show through the paint, even though the company(ies) that Gottlieb got their cabinets from were not always perfect.

The next part is to get the sheen to look right. Often when painting it might look like you have coverage but when viewed in the proper light you may see that the coverage and the sheen is inconsistent. The sheen is based on the paint you select - semigloss is what I would choose and assume you did as well.

What your picture shows is you have the prep and paint application/sheen down correct.

#61 8 years ago

Really nice work so far. Following this one

#62 8 years ago

Got the second color done on one side today, and also the green color on the front panel. I also got one of the inside top areas painted the antique white (pointed out by DirtFlipper, above), and will do the other side and speckle-paint both of those strips tomorrow. Again, not perfect, but looks really good overall and I'm pleased with it, especially since it's the first one I've ever painted:

IMG_6636.jpgIMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6642.jpgIMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6640.jpgIMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6639.jpgIMG_6639.jpg

#63 8 years ago

Again, not perfect

That's actually one key to making it look closer to the original. The originals were never perfect. Fuzzy edges, bit of overspray, imperfect registration - all those details count.

#64 8 years ago

Outstanding, I knew you could do it!!!

#65 8 years ago

Looking great! Nice work!

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

That's actually one key to making it look closer to the original. The originals were never perfect.

After the overspray you just need to add some cigarette burns and scratch a couple high scores in it...then it will look like it did in the arcade!

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Painting is all in the prep. So if you have the cabinet solid and flat then defects won't show through the paint, even though the company(ies) that Gottlieb got their cabinets from were not always perfect.
The next part is to get the sheen to look right. Often when painting it might look like you have coverage but when viewed in the proper light you may see that the coverage and the sheen is inconsistent. The sheen is based on the paint you select - semigloss is what I would choose and assume you did as well.
What your picture shows is you have the prep and paint application/sheen down correct.

I generally paint them with a flat, or satin, and use a semi-gloss polycrylic as a clear afterwards. It provides a good sheen and also evens things out really well.

Nice job on the painting. Don't worry about overspray and imperfectly aligned graphics, they were never perfect from the factory either. They didn't worry a lot about that kind of stuff.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I generally paint them with a flat, or satin, and use a semi-gloss polycrylic as a clear afterwards. It provides a good sheen and also evens things out really well.
Nice job on the painting. Don't worry about overspray and imperfectly aligned graphics, they were never perfect from the factory either. They didn't worry a lot about that kind of stuff.

Yes it was more production than perfection.

Very nice. Where do I mail my cab to?

As to painting the inside edge, the factory never taped off to paint the 2 inches above playfield so no need there for your next one.

#69 8 years ago

Well, the Painting Phase of this Atlantis restoration is finally done.

After finding the donor cabinet, head and pedestal, stripping all the old paint, doing minor wood repair, bondo, lots of sanding, two coats of primer, two coats of base paint, black speckle-painting, and then using the Pinball Pimp stencils and rattle-cans of Krylon Burgundy and Sea-Glass (green) paint, I am pleased to show the final results:

IMG_6661.jpgIMG_6661.jpg
IMG_6658.jpgIMG_6658.jpg
IMG_6660.jpgIMG_6660.jpg
IMG_6659.jpgIMG_6659.jpg
IMG_6662.jpgIMG_6662.jpg

I have to wholeheartedly recommend the Pinball Pimp stencils. It's a very high-quality product that's easy to use, and his video online makes it very easy to understand how to use them right. The instructions also are excellent and it was well worth the $140 price-tag, in my opinion. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Now I move to Phase 2: Cabinet hardware. I'll see if I can salvage the legs, door, coin-entry plate and shooter assembly after each spends some time with Evapo-Rust, but my guess is I may buy all-new. The only exterior metal parts I'll likely re-use from the original is are the side-rails. But we'll see -- I might be surprised after some time cleaning these up. STAY TUNED!

#70 8 years ago

Pinball Pimp's website says that they are working on the Gottlieb license? Didn't think they had these stencils yet? How did you obtain yours before the license? I need a Buckaroo set.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Pinball Pimp's website says that they are working on the Gottlieb license? Didn't think they had these stencils yet? How did you obtain yours before the license? I need a Buckaroo set.

I just emailed him to ask if he had stencils for Gottlieb Atlantis and he said yes. Was great to deal with!

#72 8 years ago

how sticky are those stencils from pinball pimp? I make my own but I repainted a black hole for a guy and he supplied the stencils do not remember from who but they were low tack but just to tacky to reposition easily.
I like mine they have no tack, I get just the right amount of over spray. the tacky ones have a very crisp line.
yours look good
spend the $$$$$ and get new metal well worth it after all the work you have done.

#73 8 years ago

They're low-tack but difficult to reposition once you have them on without stretching or tearing them. If you line them up correctly and put them on per the video he has online, it's close to fool-proof I think. I was able to do some minor repositioning when I needed to, but I'd be nervous to try to take it off and completely reposition it.

Yeah, I'm strongly leaning towards getting the new metal.

#74 8 years ago

Hey guys, can someone with an Atlantis (or parts catalog) confirm the correct color for the two "100 Points When Lit" bumper caps on that game? I'm putting together a (rather massive) parts list for Steve and want to make sure the various pictures I see on the Internet are correct. Thanks!

#75 8 years ago

Hey guys, can someone with an Atlantis (or parts catalog) confirm the correct color for the two "100 Points When Lit" bumper caps on that game? I'm putting together a (rather massive) parts list for Steve and want to make sure the various pictures I see on the Internet are correct. Thanks!

Mine are both red

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Mine are both red

Cool thanks!

#77 8 years ago

Making progress, albeit slowly, this weekend. Now that I'm done with the painting, I've assembled a big parts list for PBR and will divide it into two parts (due to cash flow needs) -- one for all the cabinet stuff I need, and then another for playfield stuff.

I hope to order the cabinet parts this week. Meawhile, I found some smaller things to work on this weekend, starting with cleaning metal parts with my ultrasonic cleaner and Krud Kutter, and polishing them with Mother's metal polish. I have the interior parts of the coin door I'll be buying ready to go, as well as some of the parts I mention below. I'll start working on polishing the side-rails this week.

This weekend I was able to install the metal hardware back inside the head, including the track for the door into the bottom of the head. Remember: This was an old Rack-A-Ball head, which has the slot in the wood for the slightly longer door, not the metal track. I wanted to use the metal track from the original Atlantis head I had (the termite-infested one) and also so it could have the correct door. So I used slightly longer screws that went through the holes in the metal track, spanned the gap created by the Rack-A-Ball slot, and penetrated the wood beneath it just perfect. The track holds very firmly and I tested the metal door from my Top Card wedgehead and it fits perfectly. I also installed the hasp for the lock at the top and it locks correctly too. So that door will be part of my first parts order.

IMG_6707.jpgIMG_6707.jpg

I also re-attached the paper instruction cards about the patents pending, etc, and I temporarily installed the piece of wood that holds the reels, lights and mechanicals in the head (installed the brackets and everything, but later removed them) as well as the back-glass to make sure everything lines up well and fits properly. Everything looks good! I removed the mechanicals, glass and brackets later because I have not yet started working on the head mechanicals yet.

You will also notice (above) I had to drill four new holes in the bottom to align the Rack a Ball head with the holes in the repurposed Sky Jump cabinet. I am in need of two more head-bolts (the Atlantis only came with two). Any suggestions on what I should buy for those?

I also cleaned, polished and reinstalled the tilt unit (sorry, very slightly out of focus):

IMG_6708.jpgIMG_6708.jpg

I'm in the process of doing the same for the Chime unit. Question on the chime unit: The plastic tub has a hole cracked in the bottom of it as shown below. Can this still be used? Will it still make the chiming sound? Can I fix this (cover with electrical tape or?) or do I need to find another tub?

IMG_6706.jpgIMG_6706.jpg

Thanks!

#78 8 years ago

On the chime unit, cut to fit and hot glue a old credit card or other similar hard plastic to it and it should be fine. Looking good by the way.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

On the chime unit, cut to fit and hot glue a old credit card or other similar hard plastic to it and it should be fine. Looking good by the way.

Great idea. I'll even paint it black first!

#80 8 years ago

I am in need of two more head-bolts (the Atlantis only came with two). Any suggestions on what I should buy for those?

Tell Steve at PBR, he has those as well.

#81 8 years ago

PBR will have the bolts, and he may also have the chime unit resonance chamber. But it will still work, even with that nasty hole.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

PBR will have the bolts, and he may also have the chime unit resonance chamber. But it will still work, even with that nasty hole.

Thanks -- I'll ask Steve if he has one and may add that to the order.

#83 8 years ago

Hey Golden Boy,

Nice work on this Atlantis. I've been tackling my first EM restore recently as well (on a Williams Swinger), so it was fun reading through this thread from another guy who's a little wet behind the ears at this stuff. Will be following.

Best,
Ryan

#84 8 years ago

Wow, it's startin to look like a pinball machine! nice job.
I really like the outcome of the splatter! you shud post a video of how you did that.
I tried it once. got the s#!t everywhere, and even got some on the cabinet. but it looked lame in comparison.

#85 8 years ago

It's coming along great. I'm glad I Favorited this one!

I repaired a HUO Atlantis last night. I figured I would take some photos and send them to you for inspiration. Keep up the great work.

20151202_200829.jpg20151202_200829.jpg

20151202_200816.jpg20151202_200816.jpg

20151202_200823.jpg20151202_200823.jpg

20151202_200835.jpg20151202_200835.jpg

20151202_174529.jpg20151202_174529.jpg

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hey Golden Boy,
Nice work on this Atlantis. I've been tackling my first EM restore recently as well (on a Williams Swinger), so it was fun reading through this thread from another guy who's a little wet behind the ears at this stuff. Will be following.
Best,
Ryan

Thanks Ryan!

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Wow, it's startin to look like a pinball machine! nice job.
I really like the outcome of the splatter! you shud post a video of how you did that.
I tried it once. got the s#!t everywhere, and even got some on the cabinet. but it looked lame in comparison.

Thanks Dr. of Style! I just followed Clay's video/suggestions. I practiced once on a piece of posterboard to gauge how far to be from the surface and how much paint/how fast to move the brush, and then just did it. Probably took 5 minutes. The key (one of them, at least) is that LESS IS MORE. Don't over-do the paint.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

It's coming along great. I'm glad I Favorited this one!
I repaired a HUO Atlantis last night. I figured I would take some photos and send them to you for inspiration. Keep up the great work.

20151202_200829.jpg 20151202_200816.jpg 20151202_200823.jpg 20151202_200835.jpg 20151202_174529.jpg

Great pics, and very inspiring! I have a long way to go, but eventually I hope to have a very pretty Atlantis to play and admire!

#89 8 years ago

Looks really great! That looks like the same machine I saw for sale down in south Florida earlier this summer. I kinda had the same idea but felt it was out of my expertise. Glad to see it being restored.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Looks really great! That looks like the same machine I saw for sale down in south Florida earlier this summer. I kinda had the same idea but felt it was out of my expertise. Glad to see it being restored.

Thanks. I'll be retaining the playfield and glass from the one in Florida (plus mechanicals) and replacing everything else (cabinet, pedestal, head, legs, door, shooter, playfield parts, playfield glass, etc.) with new parts.

#91 8 years ago

I'll be retaining the playfield and glass from the one in Florida (plus mechanicals) and replacing everything else (cabinet, pedestal, head, legs, door, shooter, playfield parts, playfield glass, etc.) with new parts.

Wow...that's ambitious.

So, does that mean you have 2 Atlantis' (Atlanti, Atlantises, Atlantisees, Atlantisesesesesss)? Just curious.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow...that's ambitious.
So, does that mean you have 2 Atlantis' (Atlanti, Atlantises, Atlantisees, Atlantisesesesesss)? Just curious.

No, if you read the beginning of this thread you'll see that the one I bought and had shipped here had major termite damage. So I found a donor cabinet (formerly a Gottlieb Sky Jump) and a donor head (formerly a Gottlieb Rack-A-Ball), and a donor pedestal and set out to do a complete cabinet restoration, which I've now completed.

The metal parts from the original Atlantis are pretty much unusable due to rust, but the side-rails from the donor Sky Jump are usable, and I'll buy new metal parts for the rest (legs, coin door, etc.) from PBR.

It appears I'll be able to use all the mechanicals from the Atlantis I bought, as well as the playfield, after tune-ups and restoration. The back-glass is also in good shape.

#93 8 years ago

Ah-ha! Thanks for the clarification (and reminders).

Best of luck with this enterprising project!

1 week later
#94 8 years ago

Sea-Glass (green) paint

Did you mean Krylon "Sea Foam" Gloss?

Ken

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Did you mean Krylon "Sea Foam" Gloss?
Ken

No, it's actually a Krylon color called "Sea-Glass". I can post a photo of the can if that's helpful.

#96 8 years ago

No, it's actually a Krylon color called "Sea-Glass". I can post a photo of the can if that's helpful.

Went to Krylon's website and they did not have that listed. A product number and photo would be great! Thanks.

Ken

#97 8 years ago

http://www.krylon.com/products/sea-glass-finish/

it's a finish, color is sea foam

#98 8 years ago

OK and Thanks. That clears things up a bit.

Ken

#99 8 years ago

Ok sorry about that -- shows I don't read packages well. Anyway, the color turned out great!

#100 8 years ago

Continuing progress last night. Had time to disassemble, clean (by hand and in my ultra-sonic cleaner) the chime unit. I then applied Mother's Metal Polish and reassembled it, used a strip of foam window-seal to replace the worn-out beer-seal piece that the chimes strike (have done this on several games and works like a charm), and now mounted and ready to be wired in when I get to that point. I also went through the Operating Manual last night and confirmed all the playfield part numbers I need. Went on PBR and confirmed all the cabinet parts, so I have a massive list ready for my call to Steve. I think I have the $ now as well, but probably won't place the order until right after Christmas since I won't have time to work on it until then.

Should be a flurry of activity and progress, though, around New Year's. Here are the chime photos:

IMG_6759.JPGIMG_6759.JPG
IMG_6757.JPGIMG_6757.JPG
IMG_6761.JPGIMG_6761.JPG
IMG_6762.JPGIMG_6762.JPG
IMG_6758.JPGIMG_6758.JPG
IMG_6780.JPGIMG_6780.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-atlantis/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.