Topic Stats

• 235 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do with this 1975 Atlantis (one of my "Holy Grail" games I really want in my collection)?”

• Search for a donor cabinet of the same era and pay for, or do, a complete repaint. 24 votes
    57%
  • Have a brand new cabinet built and painted, and then continue with the PF restoration as described above 12 votes
    29%
  • Cut my losses and try to part-out the game -- selling the back-glass, mechanicals, reels, etc. -- and look for another Atlantis 3 votes
    7%
  • Other (Please describe) 3 votes
    7%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160822_194118 (resized).jpg
20160821_171227a_(resized).jpg
20160810_194216_resized_(resized).jpg
IMG_7320_(resized).jpg
IMG_7318_(resized).jpg
IMG_7315_(resized).jpg
IMG_7316_(resized).jpg
IMG_7284_(resized).jpg
IMG_7283_(resized).jpg
IMG_7282_(resized).jpg
20160224_142641_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1068_(resized).jpg
IMG_1073_(1)_(resized).jpg
IMG_1076_(resized).jpg
IMG_1066_(resized).jpg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

Hi guys, I purchased an 1975 Gottlieb Atlantis project and it arrived yesterday (had it shipped from out of state). This is one of my "Holy Grail" games because I love the art work and the game play/rules set, plus it has a special place in my memory of playing this game when I was a kid.

I went into this eyes wide open -- so I'm not criticizing the seller at all -- and was hoping the cabinet was in better condition than it appeared in photos (it was hard to tell).

Unfortunately, it's not. The cabinet is basically shot in terms of structural integrity. Today I completely stripped the cabinet and head (removed the bottom-board, playfield, knocker, flipper buttons, tilt mechanism, side-rails, door, receiver, lock-bar, other hardware) and now that it's down to the bare wood I can tell that it has MAJOR termite damage.

The front panel is completely shot with no chance of saving it. The bottom edges (at least) of the other three sides have damage, as does the pedestal and a small part of the head. (Post continues below the photos)

IMG_6448.JPGIMG_6448.JPG

IMG_6449.JPGIMG_6449.JPGIMG_6447.JPGIMG_6447.JPGIMG_6450.JPGIMG_6450.JPGIMG_6452.JPGIMG_6452.JPGIMG_6454.JPGIMG_6454.JPGIMG_6455.JPGIMG_6455.JPGIMG_6456.JPGIMG_6456.JPG

On the bright side, the game's mechanicals look good and complete, and the backglass is probably an 8 or 9 -- really remarkable condition considering how rough the cabinet it. The playfield needs restoring but is not beyond hope (I'd probably put on new plastics, completely new bumper bodies and assemblies, new rubbers and lights of course, and then give everything else a thorough cleaning/polishing, and do some touch-ups to the dark blues, plus some of the inserts are sunken). It also is going to need a new coin door and I'll need to de-rust most of the other exterior metal parts.

Basically, a big project, but certainly doable (I'm not in a hurry). I also have a brand-new schematic and four gorgeous score reel discs that I bought in anticipation of getting this game, along with a brand-new piece of playfield glass.

So my question is what should I do with it? I've got the cabinet, head and pedestal sealed off now inside one of those gigantic plastic bags, and everything else is in boxes or on my workbench.

Please vote in the poll at the top of this thread and also leave me your comments. I'm a bit heart-broken over all of this. Not so much the money I spent, but just that this was a game I've always wanted and, for now, it remains elusive. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I think you are being too hard on yourself. I bought a disaster of a project EM Gottlieb Double Action - not even really a title I was extremely interested in, just for the hell of it. The backglass has only 75% of the art left and it is not a fabulous design to begin with. The cabinet was bad, at least paint-wise but intact, the electronics very messed up. About the only redeeming quality was that the playfield art was mostly in good shape. When I got it home and started to really explore it in detail, I thought "WHAT, have I DONE?"

I dove in, learned a little more about EMs to get it working. I did some various sub-projects such as stripping down the cabinet and painting it with my own DIY stencils. I got it to a playable and much better looking state. It cost me a lot of time and elbow grease and a little bit of $, but I saved a pinball from the grave. It's playable. People come over and play it, we talk about its history, and it is a piece I have learned on.

Will I keep it? ...for now until I move on to the next thing, yes. It's still pinball, and it's still fun. I learned what I will do and what I will not do from the experience and the journey.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I think you are being too hard on yourself. I bought a disaster of a project EM Gottlieb Double Action - not even really a title I was extremely interested in, just for the hell of it. The backglass has only 75% of the art left and it is not a fabulous design to begin with. The cabinet was bad, at least paint-wise but intact, the electronics very messed up. About the only redeeming quality was that the playfield art was mostly in good shape. When I got it home and started to really explore it in detail, I thought "WHAT, have I DONE?"
I dove in, learned a little more about EMs to get it working. I did some various sub-projects such as stripping down the cabinet and painting it with my own DIY stencils. I got it to a playable and much better looking state. It cost me a lot of time and elbow grease and a little bit of $, but I saved a pinball from the grave. It's playable. People come over and play it, we talk about its history, and it is a piece I have learned on.
Will I keep it? ...for now until I move on to the next thing, yes. It's still pinball, and it's still fun. I learned what I will do and what I will not do from the experience and the journey.

Yeah but this cabinet is shot structurally. I'm just wondering what most folks would recommend I do with it going forward. I don't mean to come across overly self-critical -- I screwed up and now I realize it. Just need to figure out what the best path forward is.

#4 8 years ago

It is a grail game ( for you) and a keeper
I'd look for a donor cabinet, but plan on building a new one

#5 8 years ago

pm alwaysrockin77 . He could make a cabinet for you. I have a jumpin jack he could use as a template

#6 8 years ago

A game worth saving for sure!

You can get pretty much get any New parts for this game, Backglass, Plastics, and soon Playfield.

Find a good used donor cabinet or just have someone who builds new pinball cabinets build one for you. Should be easy to find someone up there in pinball land Washington or the Portland area.

Also if you really want a brand new 1975 Gottlieb Atlantis game purchase a New Wade Krause Playfield in 2016!

P.S. I voted "Other".

Ken

#7 8 years ago

Tastes change...I'd find another one that is decent and see if it's a keeper before going nuts on a cabinet search/rebuild. They pop up fairly often...I've owned 2.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

It is a grail game ( for you) and a keeper
I'd look for a donor cabinet, but plan on building a new one

Find a donor cabinet like Pete said. This is probably the most prolific Gottlieb cabinet size/style out there in the donor market.

I actually salvaged a Gottlieb Gemini this way about a decade ago. I didn't even get the body cabinet as it was so waterlogged it was mush. Besides the complete head and playfield, the rest of the parts came to me in a box. Still got it running.

#9 8 years ago

If I were to go the donor-cabinet route, what is the range of games that are potential donors? All Gottlieb 70s wedgeheads, for instance? How wide a net can I cast?

#10 8 years ago

Hi goldenboy 232
I voted for donor cabinet. If it is cheaper: get a new cabinet.
For a collector it is a simple question "100 % original <-> not original" ? Sometimes I wonder how much time people spend on "Repainting" - sure, nice to look at - but NOT original.
By the way: I call myself a "Nostalgic" - not a collector. Over the Years I could buy the ones I loved to play 1968-80. Some original, some beaten-up, some refreshed, some repainted - I don't care.

When I look at ipdb: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=105&picno=61756&zoom=1 - Front (door) and front (Backbox) should be "easy" to make a "decent" Repaint - and then place the pin between two other pins AND PLAY IT. Greetings Rolf

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

If I were to go the donor-cabinet route, what is the range of games that are potential donors? All Gottlieb 70s wedgeheads, for instance? How wide a net can I cast?

I think any wedgehead cabinet from 1972 to 1977 would work.

Edit: On second thought, earlier cabinets might work as well. Let's say 1966 to 1977.

#12 8 years ago

1967 to 1975 will be safe. You're looking for where they eliminated the ball lift and had the broader neck. From King of Diamonds (1/67) on to about Gold Strike (11/75).

The few exceptions to this would be the baseball/football theme games in this era that had the auto plungers and even then all you would have to do is install a hole for the shooter rod. Otherwise single or multiplayer bodies are basically the same.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

1967 to 1975 will be safe. You're looking for where they eliminated the ball lift and had the broader neck. From King of Diamonds (1/67) on to about Gold Strike (11/75).
The few exceptions to this would be the baseball/football theme games in this era that had the auto plungers and even then all you would have to do is install a hole for the shooter rod. Otherwise single or multiplayer bodies are basically the same.

Thanks, Mike. So a single or multi-player cabinet (where applicable) from 1967 to 1975? Ok I will post an ad on Craigslist and here.

#14 8 years ago

The cab is fixable. We actually made a whole new face for this game and notched in a 3 inch strip for the side.

before
Paridise.jpgParidise.jpg

after
IMG_2758.jpgIMG_2758.jpg

I just received a King of Diamonds, the cab is in 6 pieces, a little rougher than this one.

#15 8 years ago

Message Pin-Pimp. Hes fairly close to you and might have a cabinet laying around for cheap.

#16 8 years ago

In my area there are many, many cabinet shops. Surely there would be a local cabinet shop somewhere near you that could make it if you were unwilling. I've built some cabinets and I can't imagine it would be very hard at all, especially if you have an old cabinet for a template. If you want someone to make it, do a search and call someone up.

#17 8 years ago

Termites, or carpenter ants, plus water damage. I wouldn't let that in my place. Either find a good used cabinet ,or buy a new cabinet. Those are the best solutions. Selling off the parts and then finding another Atlantis is that possible.

#18 8 years ago

You could also do a youtube video smashing the hell out of it...see how many hits or likes or whatever you get. That's what the kids are into these days I think. That and reefer.

#19 8 years ago

Mark,
I would call Chad or Dillan down @ Blairalley in Eugene. they have a bunch of parts pins in the shop beside the barcade.
Nice guys, great place to play some EM's or early SS pins on location.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Mark,
I would call Chad or Dillan down @ Blairalley in Eugene. they have a bunch of parts pins in the shop beside the barcade.
Nice guys, great place to play some EM's or early SS pins on location.

Thanks I'll check them out (I'm not familiar with those guys, but I'm still fairly new to the hobby).

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Termites, or carpenter ants, plus water damage. I wouldn't let that in my place. Either find a good used cabinet ,or buy a new cabinet. Those are the best solutions. Selling off the parts and then finding another Atlantis is that possible.

That's how I'm strongly leaning, Darcy. I don't think this cabinet has a future other than maybe as a template for a cabinet-maker if I can't find a donor cabinet.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

In my area there are many, many cabinet shops. Surely there would be a local cabinet shop somewhere near you that could make it if you were unwilling. I've built some cabinets and I can't imagine it would be very hard at all, especially if you have an old cabinet for a template. If you want someone to make it, do a search and call someone up.

Yeah if I can't find a donor cabinet I'll start calling around for one.

#23 8 years ago

How did the seller describe it?

Unless it is fairly close to being as described I would certainly be thinking part refund? Depends how much you paid but if you paid over $400 I would be treating this as a parts game.

Sometimes we make expensive mistakes in this hobby but the key is to learn from them.

If this is a dream game for you, I would get back what I can via refund/selling parts and wait for a nice one to buy.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

How did the seller describe it?
Unless it is fairly close to being as described I would certainly be thinking part refund? Depends how much you paid but if you paid over $400 I would be treating this as a parts game.
Sometimes we make expensive mistakes in this hobby but the key is to learn from them.
If this is a dream game for you, I would get back what I can via refund/selling parts and wait for a nice one to buy.

I hear you, but in this case I don't hold the seller responsible. He was clear with me that it had some termite damage, so I knew there was a risk the cabinet might not be salvageable. I just didn't know the extent until it arrived here. I am fine with it, really. Yes, it's an expensive hobby and I know I'll ultimately end up putting way more $ into Atlantis than I'd ever be able to recoup from it, but that's ok. I want it in my collection forever. The BG is nice, the PF is restorable, and the mechanicals all look good/complete (just will need a tuneup). So my hunt is on for a donor cabinet.

#25 8 years ago

Take a lower cabinet from someone else's parts game, get that repainted

If you can't find one, build a new cabinet.

DO NOT part her out. I'll take it all if you're seriously considering that. Atlantis is my EM grail, probably the only title I'd trade my El Dorado for.

#26 8 years ago

Having a smoked lower cabinet makes it far from a parts game. You should be able to find a lower cabinet donor without much of an issue at all. Give me an Atlantis with a decent mechanics, a good backglass, and a good playfield, and the rest is easy IMHO.

Its taken me more time to figure out a reset issue on and EM as opposed to completely redoing a cabinet stencils and all.

#27 8 years ago

Good news: A local collector is giving me the cabinet from a 1974 Sky Jump to use as the donor cabinet for the 1975 Atlantis I'm restoring.

It does not have a head, however, so I'm looking for an empty wedgehead head I can use for this project. If you have one, or know of one, please PM me.

I've also posted this on the EM Seeking Parts thread and the PNW Buyers' thread.

Thanks!

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

Ok, I have officially begun the restoration of Atlantis.

My first step was to find a donor cabinet, pedestal and head that I could convert to an Atlantis, since the one i acquired was completely riddled with water and termite damage. A super-nice local collector gave me the cabinet from a Gottlieb Sky Jump and a pedestal, and then he helped me located a good-condition head for $40 in my area!

I picked up the cabinet and pedestal on Tuesday this week, and will get the head hopefully on Thursday this week. Here are pics of the cabinet:

IMG_6477.JPGIMG_6477.JPG
IMG_6479.JPGIMG_6479.JPG

On Wednesday evening I removed the side-rails (both of which are actually in better shape than the rails I got with the Atlantis cabinet, and which likely will be used on the finished game) and the plastic inserts that the glass slides on.

IMG_6482.JPGIMG_6482.JPGIMG_6483.JPGIMG_6483.JPGIMG_6485.JPGIMG_6485.JPGIMG_6487.JPGIMG_6487.JPG

On to the next step...

#29 8 years ago

On Thursday, I began the process of stripping all the old paint from the cabinet and pedestal (I'll do this to the head once I acquire it on Thursday next week):

My Home Depot Shopping List for Paint-Stripping:

CitriStrip Paint Stripper (this stuff is AMAZING)
Wide Metal Blade Paint Scraper
2”-3” paint brush
Steel Wool (Heavy gauge)
Heavy Rubber Gloves
Goggles
Respirator
Rags
Drop Cloth
Mineral Spirits

I put the cabinet on sawhorses and, following the directions, applied a layer of the CitriStrip to one side of the cabinet. After 20 minutes, it was ready to be gently scraped with the scraper. The paint came right up -- it was the consistency of cake icing -- and was easily removed after a second time through this process.

IMG_6492.jpgIMG_6492.jpg
IMG_6496.jpgIMG_6496.jpg
IMG_6491.jpgIMG_6491.jpg

After removing most of the paint, I used a wad of coarse stainless steel to scrub a couple of stubborn spots. Lastly, I used a rag and some mineral spirits to give each surface a nice wipe-down to remove any remaining Citirstrip and paint residue. The result? Nice bare wood.
IMG_6494.jpgIMG_6494.jpg

I did this on both sides and the front (hadn't done the front yet in photo above), and today I will finish up with the back and the pedestal. I'll then repeat this on the head when I get it on Thursday.

After finishing up today, I will unwrap the old Atlantis cabinet (I have it sealed in plastic as a precaution in case there are any termites still active) and will begin figuring out how to make stencils from the Atlantis artwork. I'll make a run to the craft shop this weekend and get those supplies (will list those out, plus my paint supplies when I get to that point). This will be my first time to try to make stencils, but I think if I take my time I can do this correctly. More to come...

#30 8 years ago

Finished up stripping the back of the cabinet and the pedestal tonight. Will proceed to the head once I get it this week.

Starting to think about the painting process. Has anyone done an Atlantis that can recommend specific paint colors to buy for the stencils? Also, what do you guys recommend for the base-coat? Antique white? And what kind of paint?

Thanks!

#31 8 years ago

Looking great!!!

#32 8 years ago

Antique white might look better if your other games in your lineup are aged and have a antique white look as well, if you paint it bright white it will really pop out from your other machines.

1 week later
#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Antique white might look better if your other games in your lineup are aged and have a antique white look as well, if you paint it bright white it will really pop out from your other machines.

Thanks Todd -- I think I will go with an antique white as you suggest.

#34 8 years ago

Ok, I picked up the head that I'm going to use for this Atlantis. Anyone know what game this once came off of, based on the painting (just curious more than anything)?:

IMG_6525.JPGIMG_6525.JPGIMG_6526.JPGIMG_6526.JPGIMG_6527.JPGIMG_6527.JPGIMG_6528.JPGIMG_6528.JPG

#35 8 years ago

So I now have the cabinet and head stripped of old paint and am ready to begin the bondo/sanding process. I have questions for the Forum on how to repair these areas:

First, at the edge of the sides of the cabinet near the back of the game, there's some chipped wood as shown. Do I just sand this in one direction (toward the end of the cabinet so it doesn't chip further) and fill with Bondo and then sand more? Or do I need to try to get wood-glue down underneath those chips and use a clamp to hold it in place, and then do the bondo/sanding? I appreciate the guidance.

IMG_6529.JPGIMG_6529.JPG

#36 8 years ago

1962 rack a ball

#37 8 years ago

what I do is work wood glue under all the loose areas then staple them down once dry pull the staples out then bondo and sand

#38 8 years ago

My second question is how to repair the front laminate of the head. You can see it's slightly de-laminated along one edge and in a few places on other edges. Do I need to try to get wood-glue down in there and then clamp it? And then after it dries I would do any Bondo repairs and sand?

Thanks, guys!

IMG_6534.jpgIMG_6534.jpg

IMG_6533_1.jpgIMG_6533_1.jpg

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

1962 rack a ball

I didn't realize this head was that old. Will that work as a 1975 Atlantis head? Same shape and dimensions?

#40 8 years ago

I measured the old Atlantis head and the Rack-A-Ball head and, other than the holes that allow the long bolts to connect it to the body of the game being aligned differently (easily overcome), it's virtually identical in dimensions. The Rack-A-Ball is VERY SLIGHTLY deeper than the Atlantis (maybe 1/8 of an inch) but the width and height appear virtually the same. I assume it will accommodate the board and mechanicals from the Atlantis head, then, and that I shouldn't have a problem.

The differences visually are almost imperceptible. I also put the Atlantis glass into the Rack-A-Ball head to make sure it fits well, and it does. I think I'm ok to proceed?

IMG_6536.jpgIMG_6536.jpg

IMG_6537_1.jpgIMG_6537_1.jpg

IMG_6535_2.jpgIMG_6535_2.jpg
IMG_6538.jpgIMG_6538.jpg

#41 8 years ago

Ok, I picked up the head that I'm going to use for this Atlantis. Anyone know what game this once came off of, based on the painting (just curious more than anything)?:
IMG_6525.JPG IMG_6526.JPG IMG_6527.JPG IMG_6528.JPG

That is a old "Rack-A-Ball head

#42 8 years ago

Started repairing the back-edge of the cabinet shown above where some of the wood was chipped/slightly de-laminated.

I worked wood-glue under the top layer and then pre-drilled holes in a small piece of lumber and used 1.5" screws to clamp it down. The four screw holes will be filled with Bondo when I get to that step. One hole will also be covered by where the leg attaches, and the other three are where there was missing wood anyway (I'll have to Bondo those spots anyway). Should turn out good and be a stronger edge.

IMG_6539.jpgIMG_6539.jpgIMG_6539.jpgIMG_6539.jpg

IMG_6542.jpgIMG_6542.jpg

#43 8 years ago

pull those old sliders off the back of the cabinet.......
clamping the edge like that make sure to use wax paper between the two wood surfaces. if the wood glue touches each other they will bond and cause more work.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

pull those old sliders off the back of the cabinet.......
clamping the edge like that make sure to use wax paper between the two wood surfaces. if the wood glue touches each other they will bond and cause more work.

Will do on both suggestions. Thanks!

#45 8 years ago

Looks like your project is coming along nicely!!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Looks like your project is coming along nicely!!

Thanks, poppapin! Tonight I'm going to hopefully finish up the repair (gluing and clamping for 24 hours) and then will start Bondo/Sanding on Wednesday.

I need to go to the local hobby shop to see what options there are for tracing paper.

Question for the group: What do you use (tracing paper? vellum?) to trace stencils (I have the old Atlantis cabinet art as a guide), and then what do you use to transfer them to card-stock that you then cut-out for the stencils? Not sure how to transfer the stencils.

#47 8 years ago

Question for the group: What do you use (tracing paper? vellum?) to trace stencils (I have the old Atlantis cabinet art as a guide), and then what do you use to transfer them to card-stock that you then cut-out for the stencils? Not sure how to transfer the stencils.

I take the tracing and tape it onto poster paper. Then cut along the lines thru both pieces. Seems to work pretty well for me. I use a utility knife rather than an exacto, so I can push down thru both layers. If you make a minor mistake you can fix it before you use the stencil.

#48 8 years ago

I think that Rack a Ball head didn't use a metal U-channel for the backbox door; the backbox door just fit into the wood channel directly. Atlantis uses the metal U-channel for the door though. As a result, the backbox doors are different too.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I think that Rack a Ball head didn't use a metal U-channel for the backbox door; the backbox door just fit into the wood channel directly. Atlantis uses the metal U-channel for the door though. As a result, the backbox doors are different too.

Yeah I'll have to find the right door for it.

#50 8 years ago

Ok here's one "before" and three "after" shots of that edge at the back-left corner of the game. This was my first time using Bondo so, while not perfect, it's WAY better than it was. I feel pretty good about it! I'll fill in any remaining imperfections with some spackling. I also made similar, smaller repairs to a few other spots on the cabinet, but overall the cab was in pretty good shape.

IMG_6529.JPGIMG_6529.JPGIMG_6548.jpgIMG_6548.jpgIMG_6549.jpgIMG_6549.jpgIMG_6550.jpgIMG_6550.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-atlantis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.