Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

90A30862-8E25-47ED-B01B-C5F4B5B0FB07 (resized).jpeg
196C2425-23F2-4875-9B8D-E4B3AEFC71AD (resized).jpeg
6FA5C260-7489-4285-A579-CB2B76FE04F3 (resized).jpeg
0A4FA58B-779A-433A-B01C-A62FA3A9D02C (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

A few months ago I picked up a Williams Millionaire that was in pretty sad shape. Rather that part it out, I decided to take the time to go through it and get it more or less working. I honestly didn’t expect much from the machine. I fixed it up mainly using leftovers from various restorations I’ve done over the years.

Now what I didn’t expect that when I finally got it flipping, I would discover that it is actually a pretty fun game. The progressive multi ball is more fun than I expected.

So this leads me to my question: the playfield is pretty blown out down the middle, and replacement playfields are pretty rare for this machine, and honestly if I spent the coin to buy one, I don’t think I’d ever recoup the cost. This is an $1100 hame at best. So am honestly thinking about sanding it down to white wood, making some simple graphics for over the inserts and putting a nice coat of clear on it.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to what to do with the playfield?

0A4FA58B-779A-433A-B01C-A62FA3A9D02C (resized).jpeg0A4FA58B-779A-433A-B01C-A62FA3A9D02C (resized).jpeg196C2425-23F2-4875-9B8D-E4B3AEFC71AD (resized).jpeg196C2425-23F2-4875-9B8D-E4B3AEFC71AD (resized).jpeg6FA5C260-7489-4285-A579-CB2B76FE04F3 (resized).jpeg6FA5C260-7489-4285-A579-CB2B76FE04F3 (resized).jpeg90A30862-8E25-47ED-B01B-C5F4B5B0FB07 (resized).jpeg90A30862-8E25-47ED-B01B-C5F4B5B0FB07 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

Wax it and play it. Not all games have to be restored.

#3 5 years ago

Indeed just leave it and play it. The damage doesn't look that bad, there are worse games that are still played and enjoyed.
Put a clear lexan protector over it (buy one or make it yourself) if you want to prevent more damage and if it's not smooth enough and if you're not against protectors..

#4 5 years ago

I agree with the protector solution.
That's what I do.
I'm not good enough to do touch-ups on playfields, but I also like the used aspect of a game that has lived.
So being able to play it this way without using it more is a pleasure, in the end.

#5 5 years ago

I wonder if anyone makes insert decals for it? If so, I'd put insert decals on the inserts that have missing art, then put a previously mentioned clear plastic playfield protector on it. If nobody makes insert decals, then I'd skip that step and simply put the playfield protector on it. Maybe later when you're feeling more adventurous you could learn how to make water slide decals and make a bunch of little Williams money graphics for all the missing money art, lift the playfield protector and apply it, then put the playfield protector back on. Whatever you do, have fun with it.

#6 5 years ago

Wax it and play it. Dont see the issue

#7 5 years ago

Believe it or not, the average person (non-pinhead) would not even notice this. Don’t sand it down further destroying. Just leave it and enjoy.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Believe it or not, the average person (non-pinhead) would not even notice this. Don’t sand it down further destroying. Just leave it and enjoy.

Yup I came here expecting to see a destroyed playfeild. That one isnt that bad at all. I have much worse on half a dozen of my games.

#9 5 years ago

I have sold games with playfields like this at a full retail price.

As many said, most people don't care.

Millionaire is such an ugly game I really don't see the difference. Might as well play it rather than worry about going full resto on it.

Unless you want a mint Millionaire. Then go whole hog!

#10 5 years ago

I guess it's the restorer's eye that gets me. I tend to go overboard on fixing up games (case in point: Sorcerer). I will just wax it and play it.

#11 5 years ago

You could scan it and make your own decals in illustrator or photoshop, although that can be hours and hours of work.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You could scan it and make your own decals in illustrator or photoshop, although that can be hours and hours of work.

The issues there is the white lettering. I don't have access to an Alps printer.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

The issues there is the white lettering. I don't have access to an Alps printer.

You can get decal paper that is either white or transparent.

#14 5 years ago

Sand it down, tell everyone its a "white wood", sell it for $65,000...

#15 5 years ago

Windex the dirt off and play it.

#16 5 years ago

I think it’s awesome that so many people agree the best solution is to wax it and play it, and maybe a playfield protector so it doesn’t get worse. Not every game needs to be a prom queen.

One of my favorite games of all time was an EK that was way worse than this. Between me and a friend we put over 5000 games on it over the years. There is something liberating about a machine that you just play without any concerns.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I have an ALPS and can help you if you want to take it that far. How much white lettering is there?

I've tackled much worse than that, so that game is eminently saveable and restorable once the time comes.... you'll know when it does. Meanwhile, I agree with the protector for now, until then.

#18 5 years ago

I vote for wax and play, its not taking away from the fun of the game, gives it some character and a tip of the hat to you for bringing it back from the dead. Well done!

#19 5 years ago

Wax and play!

Was expecting to see a much worse playfield from the thread title...

#20 5 years ago

I have a pin like that, we take it camping & run it off of my little Honda generator.
It’s nice to have one you don’t have to baby.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

we take it camping & run it off of my little Honda generator

Now that’s what I call a camping trip!

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I have a pin like that, we take it camping & run it off of my little Honda generator.

Man ! Take pictures of that, pleaaaase !

#23 5 years ago

Otherwise, there's one for sale, and on my side of the pond...
ebay.com link: Plateau de jeu Flipper Williams Millionaire

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from wylcot:

Otherwise, there's one for sale, and on my side of the pond...
ebay.com link » Plateau De Jeu Flipper Williams Millionaire

That one looks worse the the OP's

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

That one looks worse the the OP's

Not sure about that.
There's only one bad area, but still, not worth shipping it.

#26 5 years ago

just wax and play as any anything you do will make it worse and much more noticable

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-a-horrible-playfield?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.