New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275493)

What to do with a CPR playfield before installing.Clear coat, wax?

By IN-DEEP

63 days ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 61 days ago by IN-DEEP
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6045 (resized).JPG
    P1010012 (resized).JPG

#1 63 days ago

I have a new CPR playfield what should I do to it before installation? Clear coat or wax?The box and glass are both good.

#2 63 days ago

If you did nothing I don’t think you’d be in any trouble. I wouldn’t worry much about clear if you keep your game clean. A light coat of wax before installing would be nice.

At the very least I’d want to get rid of the storage dust it may have accumulated.

#3 63 days ago
    Quoted from IN-DEEP:

I have a new CPR playfield what should I do to it before installation? Clear coat or wax?The box and glass are both good.

If this is a staple for your collection, a title you LOVE .... then why live with "what if"? I highly recommend sending it off to Kruzman to get a clear job.

#4 63 days ago

Kruzman all the way. I installed a CPR field in my ES, dimpled like crazy after a month, it was cured for more than 6 months. They are a production based business, so they shoot a clear & out the door.

Quoted from IN-DEEP:

#5 63 days ago

Wax it and play. Can't imagine spending that much and then farming it out again for another clear session.

#6 63 days ago

Thanks everyone I think I may just wax and keep it clean.I don"t play that much so if I keep it clean and change the balls frequently it may hold up.Thanks Jim

#7 63 days ago

Mentally prepare yourself though...i just installed one myself and the clear was affected by tightening everything on the PF

Now go have some fun!

#8 63 days ago

Any tips for the wiring and populating would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Jim

P1010012 (resized).JPG
    #11 63 days ago

Ron uses a dremel bit to open the holes.I am going to go slow and try that.I thinkk it"s a dremel bit.

#12 63 days ago

Thanks the Law I will check it out.

#13 63 days ago

Don't rush into it...it was quite a lengthy involved process.

#14 63 days ago

Take your time and enjoy the process...

Within a few hours it should look something like this...

IMG_6045 (resized).JPG
    #15 63 days ago

Get the kit Ron kruzman sells. It makes the concerns go away. Highly recommend.

#16 63 days ago
    Quoted from IN-DEEP:

Let it cure off for six months. Then send it off for professional clearcoat and touch ups. Another few months to settle and then wax a few times before swapping.

Reality is that inserts will get edges and it needs better clear if a long term keeper for you.

#17 63 days ago

I’m doing the same swap and sending my PB to Ron shortly!! Can’t wait

#18 62 days ago

Thanks for the info I am in no hurry.Nice and easy project.Jim P.S. The links The Law sent me are going to be very helpful.

#19 61 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Let it cure off for six months. Then send it off for professional clearcoat and touch ups. Another few months to settle and then wax a few times before swapping.
    Reality is that inserts will get edges and it needs better clear if a long term keeper for you.

If you dont get a professional or custom clear, try to figure out if the pf is relatively new. I dont know if cpr has run those lately. Anyway, what Hilton says is super important. Let it cure OUT SIDE THE BOX for 6 months. If someone sends me a fresh pf to clear, I sand off 90% of the clear and let it sit for 6-10 weeks. Its not consistent but a lot of pfs look VERY different after 6 months of sitting in the corner.
    Good luck, and enjoy. Great title to do, and good choice for first swap (imo)

#20 61 days ago

Kruzman I think I got this from you so it has been curing for a long time.How long I dont know.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    $ 79.99
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside