(Topic ID: 242782)

What to do when you offer asking price - and then they raise it?

By mamemaster

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Blackjacker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What to do when you offer asking price - and then they raise it?”

• Give up and move on. 99 votes
      88%
    • Offer more if you really want it. 13 votes
      12%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C5A5A2C3-B717-4B2B-9701-F2AB1F31580C (resized).jpeg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Ok - so I found something on Facebook for an arcade item I wanted locally near me. Without going into detail - we chat a great chat, we know people in common - and I offered up the full asking price (this wasn't an auction situation) for an arcade item he posted in cash up front that day (within hours of him posting as a matter of fact). I even figured out delivery.

Then silence from him.

I ultimately got a message from him after I asked that he's been overwhelmed with offers - OVER - asking. About $800 more than what he posted it for and I've already offered in full in cash.

Now, I cannot imagine anyone (at least not us here on Pinside) buying a 19 year old machine would offer OVER ASKING just for the heck of it. It's not a highly desired game - and it's not a pin. It's a HUGE arcade item that's on par with a skeeball. I don't want to say specifically as if he's on here I'm not trying to out him - I'm just venting.

I'm so annoyed - but either he decided he should have asked a higher price (not my problem) - or he's changed his mind (that's OK but not what he's telling me.)

He's now telling me he's not in a rush to sell and will get back to me.

Argh! - that's so not cool.

#2 1 year ago

I never have a problem with someone selling something for the most they can get. Unless you feel he's lying to you to try to get more from you, it sounds like the market spoke and you simply got outbid.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

I never have a problem with someone selling something for the most they can get. Unless you feel he's lying to you to try to get more from you, it sounds like the market spoke and you simply got outbid.

That's the thing - this suddenly became an auction. It had a price- I offered it and then he pulled out. This wasn't listed or implied to be an auction.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

That's the thing - this suddenly became an auction. It had a price- I offered it and then he pulled out. This wasn't listed or implied to be an auction.

Take note and move on. fast.

C5A5A2C3-B717-4B2B-9701-F2AB1F31580C (resized).jpeg
    #5 1 year ago

You say thanks but no thanks, and you move on...immediately....no matter how much you want the game.

Bad karma like that leads to unexpected game failures and other bad luck.
    Move on - always other pins, other sellers, and better situations.

#6 1 year ago

If he said it was sold to you he should keep his word.

#7 1 year ago

You guys are reinforcing my what's in my head - I appreciate it. I have that burning desire to get it (you all know that feeling lol) - but all of these thoughts are in my head- especially the tech issues part....

#8 1 year ago

I hate when that happens, but it unfortunately does happen quite often. A seller should honor an offer for full ask once he names a price. Often, a seller is not sure of the value of an item, and it only takes one message from someone offering more to make the seller think that maybe his asking price is likely too low. I listed a non-pinball item once, and wasn't sure of it's value.
    I quickly got several requests to see it, but someone local said he could be right over with cash in hand. He voluntary gave me an additional $50 for it, which I gladly accepted.
    Did I undervalue the item? I don't know, but I paid nothing for it, so I was happy.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from whizz:

If he said it was sold to you he should keep his word.

I agree. I've sold things under what I wanted to in retrospect - but never (ever) pulled out. I don't want to do that to anyone as I hate when it's done to me.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I hate when that happens, but it unfortunately does happen quite often. A seller should honor an offer for full ask once he names a price. Often, a seller is not sure of the value of an item, and it only takes one message from someone offering more to make the seller think that maybe his asking price is likely too low. I listed a non-pinball item once, and wasn't sure of it's value.
    I quickly got several requests to see it, but someone local said he could be right over with cash in hand. He voluntary gave me an additional $50 for it, which I gladly accepted.
    Did I undervalue the item? I don't know, but I paid nothing for it, so I was happy.

This item sells on average for about $600 more in retail (aka a vendor). His asking as an individual -not a store- is in line. But I get what you're saying....just wanted to clarifiy that....

#11 1 year ago

I guess they have the right not to sell it, but it really sucks when they hide from you, lie, or make up a lame excuse.
    Happened to me once with a pinball machine that my "friend" told me "was mine".

#12 1 year ago

It is easy to get frustrated with a deal that does not happen, but hard to get hurt by a failed deal.

Suck it up and move on. At best if you cross paths with that fellow again don't do him any favors.

To me the amount of saltyness to take away would be if you both agreed on the price and he said done deal / sold etc...
    You didn't say he agreed to sell it to you so yes it sucks but it is on the low end of the suck scale IMO

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I guess they have the right not to sell it, but it really sucks when they hide from you, lie, or make up a lame excuse.
    Happened to me once with a pinball machine that my "friend" told me "was mine".

Yeah. I have a local vendor who I can buy it from tomorrow for $500 more delivered - I was hoping to save that $500.....but that may be the best outcome (if I buy it at all right now lol)

#14 1 year ago

That's the American way unfortunately. When a seller tells me its sold or someone beat me to it I tell them if the buyer backs out to let me know and I move on. To do otherwise is a chicken shi* move.

#15 1 year ago

Screw that guy. Walk away.

#16 1 year ago

mamemaster You never told us if he accepted your full price offer. If he did then screw him and never do business with him again. If he never accepted your offer then he’s free to do whatever he wants with the game. In either scenario don’t make a counter offer. All you’ll do is raise the price that another collector will have to pay

#17 1 year ago

If a price is set, and accepted, its a done deal. Anything else and its backing away from your word. Dont deal with him anymore. A man is only as good as his word. But im old fashioned.

#18 1 year ago

Just say ok and walk away I hate when people turn for sale games into an auction.

#19 1 year ago

Was the price listed as "OBO" = or best offer . If it was that works both ways - found that out a long time ago .

#20 1 year ago

I take all the points above, but the key here is that the guy never accepted the offer. If he got 5 offers in several hours, reviewed them all simultaneously, then sold to the highest offer with payment made, is that wrong? Should he hold the game for the first offer at the asking price and hope that person follows through? If so, are you sure that was you? I don't mean to be a terd, it's just that these things can grow complicated quickly, and a few hundred bucks more means a lot to some people depending on his personal circumstance. Some people also just want the most for their item, honor be damned, especially if they have no tie to something like a collector's community. Your average joe takes these things less personally and sentimentally than most here...

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

mamemaster You never told us if he accepted your full price offer. If he did then screw him and never do business with him again. If he never accepted your offer then he’s free to do whatever he wants with the game. In either scenario don’t make a counter offer. All you’ll do is raise the price that another collector will have to pay

He did. We worked on delivery options - then silence. After I followed up I got the "I had multiple over asking offers"

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

Was the price listed as "OBO" = or best offer . If it was that works both ways - found that out a long time ago .

Fair question - nope. It had a for sale price. I offered asking. I didn't haggle.

#23 1 year ago

You did exactly what you are supposed to do.

Post on pinside

Hopefully the next deal works out better.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

He did. We worked on delivery options - then silence. After I followed up I got the "I had multiple over asking offers"

Then out the seller here so that others know not to do business with him

#25 1 year ago

I just opted out.... I didn't want to- but you guys reinforced everything in my head. I appreciate it!

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You did exactly what you are supposed to do.
    Post on pinside
    Hopefully the next deal works out better.

I was careful not to out the guy. He has a right to change his mind. I just was annoyed

#27 1 year ago

Sounds like he listed the item under market and got flooded with offers. I understand taking a better offer if the first isn’t finalized. Just about anyone here would do the same. Your deal sounds like it was not accepted in full as you said you were discussing delivery options, which means things were not fully settled? How far out were you looking at for delivery? Maybe he didn’t like the delivery options or time frame, and someone offered to pick it up in an hour with a higher offer?

If buyer accepted your offer AND also agreed to pickup/deliver at exact X location at exact X time, then yes I agree you have a gripe.

But playing devils advocate, who here hasn’t passed on other offers because they were honoring the first offer, only to have the first buyer no show and you lose out on other buyers too? It makes people skittish - buyers with cash and immediate pickup start to look very attractive. In my experience if you’re buying an under market deal, you need to offer immediate pickup and cash.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

Ok - so I found something on Facebook for an arcade item I wanted locally near me. Without going into detail - we chat a great chat, we know people in common - and I offered up the full asking price (this wasn't an auction situation) for an arcade item he posted in cash up front that day (within hours of him posting as a matter of fact). I even figured out delivery.
    Then silence from him.
    I ultimately got a message from him after I asked that he's been overwhelmed with offers - OVER - asking. About $800 more than what he posted it for and I've already offered in full in cash.
    Now, I cannot imagine anyone (at least not us here on Pinside) buying a 19 year old machine would offer OVER ASKING just for the heck of it. It's not a highly desired game - and it's not a pin. It's a HUGE arcade item that's on par with a skeeball. I don't want to say specifically as if he's on here I'm not trying to out him - I'm just venting.
    I'm so annoyed - but either he decided he should have asked a higher price (not my problem) - or he's changed his mind (that's OK but not what he's telling me.)
    He's now telling me he's not in a rush to sell and will get back to me.
    Argh! - that's so not cool.

offer him quite a large sum over his highest bid he got, tell him you'll pick it up in a week and then never show, that will teach that dumba$$

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

I was careful not to out the guy. He has a right to change his mind. I just was annoyed

I think this is your answer. Annoying sure but this is par for the course especially on FB. Either pay or walk away and see if they come back to you. It's never a deal until it's in the car.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

I never really thought about OBO working both ways but I suppose that’s technically correct.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I never really thought about OBO working both ways but I suppose that’s technically correct.

It doesn't work both ways. The guy gave him his WORD. A man is nothing if he doesn't stand by it. What he did was chickenshit as hell.

#32 1 year ago

Unless u desperately want the item, tell him u feel he has acted in bad faith, and move on.

#33 1 year ago

Let's couch the argument differently....

They said that they would take a specific amount for it.
    They changed their mind (or lied)

Any you are worried about dealing with them? You gut tells you what to do.

Walk.

#34 1 year ago

You said offered, but I didn't see anywhere that the offer was accepted and the sale closed. If the offer was accepted, then the seller changed his mind, that's an example of poor integrity. Otherwise, a straight sale turning into an auction is commonplace, the problem is the sellers often don't communicate well.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

Yeah. I have a local vendor who I can buy it from tomorrow for $500 more delivered - I was hoping to save that $500.....but that may be the best outcome (if I buy it at all right now lol)

Something is fishy if you can really go to a vendor and get it (delivered) for only $500 more than what you were going to pay him. Why would people be clamoring to pay $300 more than that? I'll bet the guy is BS'ing you, he might have got a few interested emails from people and decided (incorrectly) he priced it too low. If I were you I'd go buy the one from a vendor and let his sit on the market as he tries to squeeze more money than it's worth.

#36 1 year ago

I've never bought a pin yet from a public forum like CL or Facebook where after I've got a tentative deal from a seller, some A-hole flipper in the pinball community calls the seller up, finds the item is "sold", and proceeds to tell the seller that the item is worth MUCH more than he listed it for and offers a hundred or two more than me. Then, more often than not, I'm in an auction.
    A very very few sellers will honor their agreement with me regardless of subsequent offers. Most will generally beat me up for another couple hundred and then honor their agreement. A few will just open the auction for bidding, and let the highest bidder win! I usually walk away from those. No surprises here with your situation. Some people just can't stand seeing another person get a good deal instead of them, and are bound and determined to screw everyone else over until they get the deal. So be it.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

It doesn't work both ways. The guy gave him his WORD. A man is nothing if he doesn't stand by it. What he did was chickenshit as hell.

I wasn’t referring to this situation in specific. Just the idea that I never really thought about an OBO listing being where they accept more than the asking price. I had always thought of OBO as if they don’t get the listing price, they accept the nearest offer below the listing price.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

offer him quite a large sum over his highest bid he got, tell him you'll pick it up in a week and then never show, that will teach that dumba$$

This, it works and people learn a lesson.
    Make every arrangement then radio silence. You will get an angry text when you do not show up. Wait an hour, then say this just is not a prudent purchase. I bought something else.
    Sorry you wasted my time.

#39 1 year ago

Last year I was first to respond to a really nice T2 that popped up on local CL.
    I wanted to go see it right away, but the guy said he wasn’t available till early the next morning (about an hour away).
    When I showed up in the morning the first thing he said was “I listed it too cheap didn’t I?”.
    He told me his son listed the game for him and people were calling offering more. The father asked the son “did you tell this guy that he had first shot?”. The son replied yes and the father told him to keep his word and he had to offer it to me first.
    I wound up buying the game and thanked him for being a man if his word.
    Unfortunately not all sellers are like that.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Last year I was first to respond to a really nice T2 that popped up on local CL.
    I wanted to go see it right away, but the guy said he wasn’t available till early the next morning (about an hour away).
    When I showed up in the morning the first thing he said was “I listed it too cheap didn’t I?”.
    He told me his son listed the game for him and people were calling offering more. The father asked the son “did you tell this guy that he had first shot?”. The son replied yes and the father told him to keep his word and he had to offer it to me first.
    I wound up buying the game and thanked him for being a man if his word.
    Unfortunately mood all buyers are like that.

Well??? How much was the T-2?

#41 1 year ago

It happens a LOT on CL/FB, but it's only happened to me once here on Pinside. Accepted their market ad price with no haggling, was trying to arrange pickup and then sudden radio silence, then it was a "how much more will you offer" situation. I was out. I don't have time for that BS. You pick a price, I agree, end of negotiation. Anything else, I'm out.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Well??? How much was the T-2?

It wasn’t crazy cheap, but was a descent deal at $2200. The machine is really clean with no raised insets, really nice cabinet etc. He told me two different people offered him more money and he told them he promised it to me and would let them know if I passed.
    He never told me how much more they offered, but people will sell you out for cheap. He didn’t even ask me to come up on the price. The guy was really old school and I think part of the deal was a lesson to his son about keeping your word.

#43 1 year ago

If the price was agreed upon then the seller backed out as you were about to leave your house this is foul. I’ve had someone tell me they sold it to someone else as I was on my way to get it. I like the agree to the higher number and promise to pick it up in a week then delay it further if you can then ultimately backing out move. This is what I call getting “Craiged”. There are a lot of “Craigs” out there.

#44 1 year ago

Similar situation.

I was looking for a pin and somebody reached out to me. Seller proposed a price but indicated not ready to sell. Would be in a few months.

I say, no problem let me know when you are.

Some time later seller contacts me to see if I'm still interested, but now the price is several hundred more than what they originally proposed.

And for that reason...I'm out.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

If the price was agreed upon then the seller backed out as you were about to leave your house this is foul. I’ve had someone tell me they sold it to someone else as I was on my way to get it. I like the agree to the higher number and promise to pick it up in a week then delay it further if you can then ultimately backing out move. This is what I call getting “Craiged”. There are a lot of “Craigs” out there.

Yeah, there’s a lot of that on CL etc unfortunately. People will sell you out for $50 and not even give you a chance to even up your price. I’m much happier buying machine from people I know in the pinball community than randoms.
    Not to mention you normally have a better idea what your getting when you buy it off another collector, especially someone you know.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Yup it sucks, completely agree. To the OP, like others have said, just forget about it. It used to drive me mad but I just chalk it up to most people are pieces of $h!t... looking to screw people over for a nickel. Pinball got big and you can make money flipping. Greed is way too common now a days and karma is a bitch. You'll find another game at a fair price and have a good transaction. Ive sold my last 4 pins for what I paid or less... some even years later, and I get deals on my pins... I like passing on a fair deal and enjoy the hobby.

#47 1 year ago

Update - a connection of mine who knows both of us jumped in and smoothed things out after I told the seller I was going to move on. It was really nice (and unexpected!) of him to do that....I trust this particular contact of mine and he's been a good guy to buy from in the past.

I would be happy if this works out.....if it weren't for my contact I would have not even considered moving on this....

#48 1 year ago

I guess it ultimately matters if it is worth it to you or not, but I believe in gentlemen's agreements. If he wanted more, he should've listed it for more.
    The fact that you are local to him and had everything worked out as well...
    If that happened to me, I would move on.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

Update - a connection of mine who know both of us jumped in and smoothed things out after I told the seller I was going to move on. It was really nice (and unexpected!) of him to do that....I trust this particular contact of mine and he's been a good guy to buy from in the past.
    I would be happy if this works out.....if it weren't for my contact I would have not even considered moving on this....

Oh hell, there goes the drama, but we like happy endings.
    Wondering if posting this thread had any influence?

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Oh hell, there goes the drama, but we like happy endings.
    Wondering if posting this thread had any influence?

That's a really good question....but I sincerely appreciated everyone's level headed advice....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Decals
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside