(Topic ID: 291810)

What to Do About Cracked Clear on New Playfield?

By rockwell

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by nicoy3k
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210417_130526826 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_130515903 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_125934507 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_130229345 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_130206016 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider williampinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Cheddar Yeah, I've read about how folks treat (or don't) their new playfields. I opted to roll with the clear that comes pre-applied without re-clearing it. The cracking doesn't bother me necessarily, I just don't want it to get worse once I start actually playing on it
alexanr1 For sure, I figure some wax should help it from getting worse...or at least slow the damage.
I'm inclined to leave it, as opposed to getting it re-cleared before I make any more progress. This is my first new playfield, though, so wasn't really sure what to expect, or how it will withstand abuse moving forward.

Most of my new PF I get recleared but it does cost but can't beat it ,new PFs today are not done well with the clear coat from many years ago just depends on how good you want it too look

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

The clear looks pretty smooth in person, maybe the hyper-zoomed in phone picture makes it looks worse. The scratches you see are really just from me rubbing my fingers over the insert trying to feel how bad the cracks were. Should wipe clean.
Williampinball This is my dilemma. Because I do want it to look good moving forward. Put a lot of love into making the rest look good.

Yes understood I am like u after all the time and making it look great at the end when done u want everything too look great before reclear maybe try waxing it with Novus 2 and see how that looks might take a few waxes then go from there

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Yeah. I think this will be my plan, see if a good waxing keeps things rolling smoothly before I invest the time and money of stripping the playfield back down and getting it re-cleared.
I just wanna play some Globetrotters!

For sure I don't blame u ,I have seen a lot worst then yours and as you said the pics up that close looks worst then it really is I bet ,should be fine with a few good waxing ,enjoy bud happy flipping

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider williampinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-about-cracked-clear-on-new-playfield?tu=williampinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.