(Topic ID: 291810)

What to Do About Cracked Clear on New Playfield?

By rockwell

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by nicoy3k
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210417_130526826 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_130515903 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_125934507 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_130229345 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210417_130206016 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I am doing a playfield swap on a HG machine, moving from the hammered original to a new CPR playfield. I've started repopulating the new PF and just noticed that there is cracking around three of the inserts. The cracked clear goers all the way around the circumference of the insert. The pics are tricky, but hopefully they illustrate the issue:

PXL_20210417_130206016 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_130206016 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_130229345 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_130229345 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_125934507 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_125934507 (resized).jpg

Is there anything I can do to prevent these from getting worse once balls start rolling? I'm not sure what caused this issue. I've been pretty gentle, and any hammering I did was done on a flat, protected tabletop surface before anything else was done. But, of course I was hammering t-nuts and nails into it.

Not sure if there is anything that can be done, short of taking everything off of it and getting it re-cleared? Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a look at the work in progress!
PXL_20210417_130515903 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_130515903 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_130526826 (resized).jpgPXL_20210417_130526826 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

There was/is a long thread about this somewhere. This is normal on new playfields. Some people go to the extra step.of having the playfield finished with additional clear to remedy this. Most do not but it is a personal preference.

#3 3 years ago

Put a nice coat of wax over everything would be what I would do.

#4 3 years ago

Cheddar Yeah, I've read about how folks treat (or don't) their new playfields. I opted to roll with the clear that comes pre-applied without re-clearing it. The cracking doesn't bother me necessarily, I just don't want it to get worse once I start actually playing on it

alexanr1 For sure, I figure some wax should help it from getting worse...or at least slow the damage.

I'm inclined to leave it, as opposed to getting it re-cleared before I make any more progress. This is my first new playfield, though, so wasn't really sure what to expect, or how it will withstand abuse moving forward.

#5 3 years ago

I'd be more concerned with all those other scratches and why does the clear look like someone left saran wrap on it while it was curing?

Is that normal for CPR playfields these days? Been a while since I've seen one in person.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Cheddar Yeah, I've read about how folks treat (or don't) their new playfields. I opted to roll with the clear that comes pre-applied without re-clearing it. The cracking doesn't bother me necessarily, I just don't want it to get worse once I start actually playing on it
alexanr1 For sure, I figure some wax should help it from getting worse...or at least slow the damage.
I'm inclined to leave it, as opposed to getting it re-cleared before I make any more progress. This is my first new playfield, though, so wasn't really sure what to expect, or how it will withstand abuse moving forward.

Most of my new PF I get recleared but it does cost but can't beat it ,new PFs today are not done well with the clear coat from many years ago just depends on how good you want it too look

#7 3 years ago

The clear looks pretty smooth in person, maybe the hyper-zoomed in phone picture makes it looks worse. The scratches you see are really just from me rubbing my fingers over the insert trying to feel how bad the cracks were. Should wipe clean.

Williampinball This is my dilemma. Because I do want it to look good moving forward. Put a lot of love into making the rest look good.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

The clear looks pretty smooth in person, maybe the hyper-zoomed in phone picture makes it looks worse. The scratches you see are really just from me rubbing my fingers over the insert trying to feel how bad the cracks were. Should wipe clean.
Williampinball This is my dilemma. Because I do want it to look good moving forward. Put a lot of love into making the rest look good.

Yes understood I am like u after all the time and making it look great at the end when done u want everything too look great before reclear maybe try waxing it with Novus 2 and see how that looks might take a few waxes then go from there

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes understood I am like u after all the time and making it look great at the end when done u want everything too look great before reclear maybe try waxing it with Novus 2 and see how that looks might take a few waxes then go from there

Yeah. I think this will be my plan, see if a good waxing keeps things rolling smoothly before I invest the time and money of stripping the playfield back down and getting it re-cleared.

I just wanna play some Globetrotters!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Yeah. I think this will be my plan, see if a good waxing keeps things rolling smoothly before I invest the time and money of stripping the playfield back down and getting it re-cleared.
I just wanna play some Globetrotters!

For sure I don't blame u ,I have seen a lot worst then yours and as you said the pics up that close looks worst then it really is I bet ,should be fine with a few good waxing ,enjoy bud happy flipping

#11 3 years ago

This is why whenever I buy a playfield from CPR I always buy the cheapest one I can get because not matter how much I spend on there playfields they will always have to go to Kruzman to get done right. Too bad there quality control is so bad. If I were you I'd buy another one of there cheapest playfields and have it dropped shipped to Ron and sell off the one your working on. If your going to put that much time and energy doing the swap you might as well do it right.

John

#12 3 years ago

I always let my purchased playfields age (more from no time to swap vs. anything else....) - the clear is really spotty in quality from CPR lately. The meteor one planked pretty badly (which was fine since it had to be recleared anyway to bury the decals for the missing 6 bank text) - it felt like a Ruffles potato chip. The Stars one is gorgeous so far, but there is some die back on the 3k bonus insert.

Their goal was always to get a clear similar to factory clear on the playfields - you're not going to get the super clear job you get from the clearers as that costs between 50%-125% of the cost of the PF itself. I think they meet that most of the time, although I'm not a fan of the backs no longer being grayed as originals were.

For the OP it's likely going to be OK, just monitor it to make sure it doesn't get worse. The time to reclear it would have been pre-population, and it's one of those extra steps that some do, some don't.

#13 3 years ago

How about some Mylar over those inserts?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-about-cracked-clear-on-new-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.