(Topic ID: 253494)

What to clean and wax non protected playfield with?

By cory79

28 days ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by Rager170
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 28 days ago

Where the mylar is not, what should I clean/protect playfield with? For instance on my Rollergames on the upper playfield where the lane guides are and around the pop bumpers it looks like it is just graphic with no mylar protection and other areas like the ball drains and chutes. Currently have my Rollergames tore apart and would like to wax before I put it all back together. Any other advice while I have a lot of it tore apart would be great also. I currently have on hand some Honda Glare Professional Polish and Honda Spray Cleaner and polish. I am looking into Wizards Mist N Shine and Maguiars carnuba wax.

#2 28 days ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Where the mylar is not, what should I clean/protect playfield with? For instance on my Rollergames on the upper playfield where the lane guides are and around the pop bumpers it looks like it is just graphic with no mylar protection and other areas like the ball drains and chutes. Currently have my Rollergames tore apart and would like to wax before I put it all back together. Any other advice while I have a lot of it tore apart would be great also. I currently have on hand some Honda Glare Professional Polish and Honda Spray Cleaner and polish. I am looking into Wizards Mist N Shine and Maguiars carnuba wax.

I’ve been using Mist N Shine for light (more frequent) wipe down cleaning, Novus 2 for more thorough cleaning to polish out scratches and ball trails, and I use the Mothers California Gold pure carnauba wax. All seem to work pretty well. Here’s a link to a thread that covers the topic very well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#3 28 days ago

Novus #2, Then wax is great. Fast play!

#4 28 days ago

Blitz wax is good.

#5 28 days ago

On my Rollergames without diamondplate I use Naptha to clean, Novus 1 & 2 to polish out scratches, Wax with S-100 carnuba wax.

#6 28 days ago

Respectfully disagree here - Novus 2 is an abrasive, meant for plastics and ramps. It will wear through your playfield's protective varnish if used frequently and cause serious damage down the road. You're better off cleaning with a mild degreasing cleaner and soft cloth, followed by a coat of carnuba paste wax (never use cleaning wax).

#7 28 days ago

Novus 2, novus 1, a natural carnuaba wax in that order.

#8 28 days ago

Agree on not using Novus 2. A polish takes a layer off the clear coat, and the more you do that.. well, you can figure it out.

Novus 1 for cleaning, then any wax will do really. Popular ones noticed on Pinside are Blitz and P21s.

#9 28 days ago

Millwax works good, its a cleaner and wax all in one

#10 28 days ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Theres a lot of back and forth on Millwax also... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mill-wax-pinball-playfield-wax-and-cleaner

#11 28 days ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

There's no actual "wax" in it at all. But there is silicone, and if you're gonna spray silicone on your playfield, I suggest just going down to Pep Boys and buying some Armor All.

#12 28 days ago

Whichever cleaning & waxing method you go with, I'd recommend putting down some mylar, especially in high wear areas, or areas that are hard to reach during a regular cleaning. Just wax before you put down the mylar so if you or someone else needs to remove it in the future, it can come up without damaging the paint.

#13 28 days ago

I’ve had good results with S100 wax after Novus2 as stated above.

#14 28 days ago
    Quoted from 2pupPinz:

I’ve had good results with S100 wax after Novus2 as stated above.

I believe S100 is the same as P21s. S100 marketed to the motorcycle crowd and P21s to cars...

#15 28 days ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

I believe S100 is the same as P21s. S100 marketed to the motorcycle crowd and P21s to cars...

Cool, s100 was about $20 cheaper

#16 28 days ago

I was just looking at the Stern JP Pro manual and they ***STILL*** list this part in their maintenance kit:

8 oz pinball playfield wax (Novus # 2) (675-0003-01)

This little bit of misinformation has been cut and pasted from previous manuals for years.

#17 28 days ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Respectfully disagree here - Novus 2 is an abrasive, meant for plastics and ramps. It will wear through your playfield's protective varnish if used frequently and cause serious damage down the road. You're better off cleaning with a mild degreasing cleaner and soft cloth, followed by a coat of carnuba paste wax (never use cleaning wax).

Out of curiosity what do you use as a degreaser and what part water/cleaner ratio? I have used naphtha followed by novus 2 and carnuba in the past. I recently came across a pretty filthy playfield I have yet to tackle and I’m looking to try something new to get rid of the gunk.

#18 28 days ago

You shouldn't need to use Novus 2 every single time you clean it either, only occasionally when you're shopping it out and doing a deep clean, like you are now. Give it a quick clean & wax every few months and you're good.

Quoted from Murphdom:

Out of curiosity what do you use as a degreaser and what part water/cleaner ratio? I have used naphtha followed by novus 2 and carnuba in the past. I recently came across a pretty filthy playfield I have yet to tackle and I’m looking to try something new to get rid of the gunk.

I've used undiluted simple green on a filthy WCS, but that has a clearcoat.

Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Cool, s100 was about $20 cheaper

And 1 jar will last "forever". You don't need much to wax a playfield.

#19 28 days ago

Blitz One Grand wax. If I recall correctly, no silicone for the softener, bees wax instead. Pure, 100% carnauba is as hard as a brick.

#20 28 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Blitz One Grand wax. If I recall correctly, no silicone for the softener, bees wax instead. Pure, 100% carnauba is as hard as a brick.

Never had this problem with the P21

#22 27 days ago

There is a big debate whether or not to use water based products on your playfields. This thread could go on forever. I’m going the naphtha route first then I’ll try some other things in less conspicuous areas. The machine I’m working on is a 1963 Williams Beat the Clock that I picked up at an estate sale so who knows how much clear coat is really left.

#23 27 days ago

Never heard of Naphta? Should I put mylar in the chutes on There is already some wear where the ball travels.

#24 27 days ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Never heard of Naphta?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crown-128-fl-oz-Slow-to-Dissolve-Naphtha/3024053

It's a solvent. It can be used to remove residue and wax.

Quoted from cory79:

Should I put mylar in the chutes on There is already some wear where the ball travels.

Mylar generally helps prevent wear from getting worse. After all, that wear means that area has no or thinning protection from the topcoat, and the paint is being affected.

Quoted from Murphdom:

There is a big debate whether or not to use water based products on your playfields.

I've found water-based products to be fine, as long as you don't soak the wood with it. I usually get a paper towel damp, then wipe with it.

#25 27 days ago

Naphtha sounds pretty harsh to me. Pinballlife.com has some mylar that I ordered. They seem to have the best prices.

#26 27 days ago

Wildcat#125, recommended by Bally.

Made by Joe & Felicia Peters' Company. Felicia worked for Bally. Until Joe swept her away and took her to Texas.

#27 27 days ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Naphtha sounds pretty harsh to me.

That depends on what it's used on. For some materials, it does nothing, for others, it can dissolve and remove.

#29 27 days ago

Have used mothers gold for years, never really had a problem using it. Though it does look a mess if it builds up around the bottom of posts, and other hard to get to places, so take care in these areas.

It makes the playfield nice and fast though after a few games and that how I like 'em.

#30 27 days ago
    Quoted from cory79:

Never heard of Naphta? Should I put mylar in the chutes on There is already some wear where the ball travels.

It's lighter fluid. I use a Zippo refill bottle from Walmart. More expensive that way but you don't really need an entire gallon.

#31 27 days ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

I use a generic water-based degreasing cleaner I found at Lowes - seems to be similar to Windex, but green. Always be sure to wipe down immediately and thoroughly, because the water can damage the wood I'd left on.

Naphtha is good for ground-in hard-to-clean grime and you can use poster putty to lift out dirt in planking and fine cracks. Also: Never ever ever use Magic Eraser on a play field. It will strip the protective varnish (and the paint and the primer) right off.

#32 27 days ago

I use Perfect Glass to clean the playfield using a microfiber cloth. I use Eagle NanoWax also on a microfiber cloth to wax.

#33 24 days ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

I use a generic water-based degreasing cleaner I found at Lowes - seems to be similar to Windex, but green. Always be sure to wipe down immediately and thoroughly, because the water can damage the wood I'd left on.
    Naphtha is good for ground-in hard-to-clean grime and you can use poster putty to lift out dirt in planking and fine cracks. Also: Never ever ever use Magic Eraser on a play field. It will strip the protective varnish (and the paint and the primer) right off.

I think if you use magic eraser lightly it will not harm, but apply light pressure when using.

#34 24 days ago
    Quoted from cory79:

I think if you use magic eraser lightly it will not harm, but apply light pressure when using.

Magic eraser is abrasive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 24.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 27.50
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside