(Topic ID: 187076)

What to choose: IM or ST?

By colonel_caverne

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one do you advertise me if I want to stack the most possible and get great sound/jackpot callout?”

• Iron man 28 votes
      36%
    • Star Trek pro 22 votes
      28%
    • Star Trek Premium 28 votes
      36%

(78 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2675 (resized).png
    game_STARTREK-premium (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

Hi everybody,
    I would like to add a machine to my line-up and need help to take a decision.

I was looking for a game like BSD but with deeper rules.
    I mean I like staking modes or MB, I like combo shots, I like easy rules to learn but well thought, I like awesome "jackpot" callout, I like great light shows.

I was thinking to IM (never played) and don't know if it gets all what I'm looking for.

I would appreciate to get your kind opinion.

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

How about AFM? Seems to fit what you are describing. Easy to learn rules but hard to master gameplay, superb jackpot callouts, wonderful light show, ability to stack Martian Multiball with other multiballs, and lots of combo shots including the 5-way combo you need to complete as one of the objectives in order to reach the wizard mode.

#3 6 years ago

I have owned this one and I do not like the aliens that are shaking.
    Great atmosphere but it does nothing for me and I prefer a MM by far.
    Thanks for your proposition.

#4 6 years ago

well you've already got a WOZ, you're not gonna get better mode stacking, deeper rules, or a greater light show than that.

maybe Whitewater? great layout and ramps, great jackpot shot, and some good stacking opportunities there with the 5x playfield multiplier. i haven't seen a blinged out one in person but i bet with GI OCD and some high quality LEDs, it'd really shine.

#5 6 years ago

IM is a great pin. It's rules are kind of short but it packs a lot of action. One of the better pins. I can recommend any of these pins without hesitation. I'd list in order of rules/complexity and the latter two have better dots and probably more to do rules wise.

IM
    Tron
    TWD pro
    Met pro

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

IM is a great pin.

Does IM get this?

Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I mean I like staking modes or MB, I like combo shots, I like easy rules to learn but well thought, I like awesome "jackpot" callout, I like great light shows.

I don't know Met either but I hate their music so it would be difficult for me to own it.
    But I was thinking to the pins you mentionned and also Fish Tale, transformers, AMH, totan.

#7 6 years ago

Does IM get this?

I don't know Met either but I hate their music so it would be difficult for me to own it.
    But I was thinking to the pins you mentionned and also Fish Tale, transformers, AMH, totan.

I didn't read requirements fully, IM is probably less deep than most games. Bot great to replay nonetheless.

I think Tron may be a bit more nuanced for stacking and combo shots.

Spiderman is really simple yet has more modes yet, great rules and callouts.

#8 6 years ago

The Simpsons pinball party

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I didn't read requirements fully, IM is probably less deep than most games. Bot great to replay nonetheless.
    I think Tron may be a bit more nuanced for stacking and combo shots.
    Spiderman is really simple yet has more modes yet, great rules and callouts.

Basically, I was looking for a BSD with deeper rules. I like the way how you can stack and add MB and the soundtrack. But it is unique. I was thinking at first to IM, it is also brutal like BSD but never played it.

Only played some games on ST and I didn't get a good feeling however it plays smoothly and I find it very nice. It just appeared to me repetitive. Tron is nice too, played it on location and reached sea of simulation.

as I m looking for game like BSD, i wonder if I mustn't go with it!

Which game you can stack the most at the same time?

#10 6 years ago

How about Monster Bash? One of the best games ever and you can stack the modes. Another Lyman masterpiece.

#11 6 years ago

MB is a great game with stacking but in terms of challenge... BSD on one side of the scale and MB on the other. It is a super fun game but don't expect the challenge you get from BSD.

I would vote TWDpro as someone else has mentioned.

#12 6 years ago

TS has deep rules that are easy to follow, super challenging wizard mode, tight skillful shots, awesome callouts, nice light show once LED'd.

#13 6 years ago

I have in my line up MM, MB, woz, WH2O, TWD le.

I just came back from A festival and I played again ST, it really plays smooth, great sound.

I also tried Aerosmith and this one is nice, the lock is great. Just the skillshot seems meh. There is no easy shot and no tough shot. Right ramp is the less easy for me. I also like the way as you can choose the number of ball to go with multiball.
    When you lock 3 balls you can choose to play multi ball or pass to add another ball till 6 possible. The con is the toy box can be quickly full especially if you play with several players. Multiball scores big points.
    I don't know if you can stack in this game but I guess yes and the code could be awesome.

#14 6 years ago

IMO

Tspp and LotR are two if the best coded games ever, Tspp is more odd layout with lots of ramps and flippers and the rules are all over the play field.

LotR is two flippers but has 3 ramps and magnet and moving bash toy so it has a lot of things going on, it's rules are not hard to understand and has great callouts for jackpots and you can start a lot off MB at the same time.

If you thought ST shot well maybe you'd like SM or AcDc which may be less linear. AcDc is fun but the rules are not easy to decipher.

I still put Tron above SM but both are great.

I like SM the way it's laid out because each area of the PF is a mode (4 Villains) and you have 4-5 other modes that are started by the orbits (after you qualify them).

#15 6 years ago

I love IM, but the sounds, callouts, art and light shows are pretty weak. It's a fun pin to stack modes and a brutal game. Easy to learn, difficult to really master and it can put a lot of pressure on you.

#16 6 years ago

Already owned those you mentionned.

Had the SM and with French sound that killed me. However this is a very good game but I do not want it again now.
    Finally I hate Acdc coz of the code.
    LOTR is one of my favorites and maybe I will go with one day if a LOTR VE is coming out. The same for Tron.
    TSPP, the theme is killing me.

Finally i hesitate with IM, ST, BSD and Aerosmith!

#17 6 years ago

Topic edited and poll added.
    Now I know this is IM vs ST.

I would the game that you can stack the most possible and gets the best atmosphere with an awesome jackpot callout.

Thanks

#18 6 years ago

IM is more fun to me, ST has more rules so you can play various ways. In a small collection ST may be better.

I had a party, all guys have great collections and IM was the most played of my pins.

I would take either one, they're about equal to me.

#19 6 years ago

When I played ST this afternoon at the expo I was impressed with the immersive atmosphere. I love jackpot callout. This might be stupid but it is important for me. I only scored 115m and I don't know if I can stack or not.
    If so can tell if it is possible to stack several MB and/or mode or anything? Also some folks say that modes are a bit similar and so repetitive. Is it correct?

Never played IM. It is said brutal and I can like that. If I am referring to some videos, The atmosphere and sound is not as good as ST. Is it possible to stack several MB or modes? If IM doesn't have deep rules but is hard to master, is it an issue?

Thanks

#20 6 years ago

Only played some games on ST and I didn't get a good feeling however it plays smoothly and I find it very nice. It just appeared to me repetitive.

It doesn't get better with age and owning it, in my experience. Trust your instinct and skip it if that was your impression. I sold mine because I found it very repetitive.

#21 6 years ago

Star Trek LE & Iron Man VE owner here.

If I had to rate them, I'd say Star Trek Premium > Iron Man VE > Star Trek Pro.

These 2 games will probably never leave my collection.

You can't stack multi balls on top of one another for Star Trek. On Iron Man, you can Stack Whiplash on top of War Machine.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Star Trek LE & Iron Man VE owner here.
    If I had to rate them, I'd say Star Trek Premium > Iron Man VE > Star Trek Pro.
    These 2 games will probably never leave my collection.
    You can't stack multi balls on top of one another for Star Trek. On Iron Man, you can Stack Whiplash on top of War Machine.

What has ST premium over pro except cosmetic aspect that I don't care?

If you can't stack none MB it is really a bad point for ST.

The only thing that stops me now with IM is sound and in particular the way he says "jackpot", it is really not entertaining. Certainly a detail but it counts for me.

#23 6 years ago

The only thing that stops me now with IM is sound and in particular the way he says "jackpot", it is really not entertaining. Certainly a detail but it counts for me.

I agree with Trekkie.

ST isn't a stacking game. It has a couple minor stacks, but it's pretty linear in that aspect. It also suffers in game progression and breadth. But collecting medals and going for a double scoring Kobayashi Maru helps with that and is very fun. What ST thrives on the most is its immersiveness and selecting different tier missions to tackle. It has some very cool and fun jackpot call outs. Warp ramp never gets old and is super fun.

IM is very fun. But it's shallowness gets repetitive in a small lineup. Not much diversity. It's just a cool game For a quickie. It's the type of game you can leave untouched for a few weeks then come back to and play for a few days and have fun.

ST PREM > pro for light show, lasers, and flow.

#24 6 years ago

Star Trek premium over pro:

Real kickback, ship crashes, every light is multi color, lit Enterprise, metal habit trails, movable scoop, red powered coated armor, better cabinet art, multiball laser, ship crashes, service rails, chased lights in warp ramp, asteroids cover flashers, color changing lights on the apron.

IMO, Star Trek premium, was the last premium model that was equivalent to an LE.

Star Trek is the deeper game with 18 missions.

Of the 5 modes on Iron Man, only 3 need to be completed in order to count as finished.

#25 6 years ago

game_STARTREK-premium (resized).pnggame_STARTREK-premium (resized).png

#26 6 years ago

I have and love BSD. I also have and love IM. I had ST and its gone.

IM is a little similar to BSD is that it's all about the Multiball stacks. However there's a bit more nuance. For instance you can stack all 3 MBs in any order at any time on BSD. On IM, if you start Monger first, you can't start the other 2. Same with Whiplash. However if you start War Machine first you can stack Whiplash. If you raise Monger, Whiplash shuts off - but you can start War Machine and then stack Monger with it.

There's also the Iron Man scoring modes which you can start then stack with a Multi, but you can't start them in a multi.

On top of that, you've got the Suits to collect and the challenge of lighting all modes within one ball to get the do or die shot. Or is it Jericho? I forgot lol. Anyway - lots of little bits of nuance and challenge and it's definitely addictive and has kept me coming back for years.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

ST PREM > pro for light show, lasers, and flow

How is the flow any different, aren't they the same except for a virtual kick back?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I have and love BSD. I also have and love IM. I had ST and its gone.
    IM is a little similar to BSD is that it's all about the Multiball stacks. However there's a bit more nuance. For instance you can stack all 3 MBs in any order at any time on BSD. On IM, if you start Monger first, you can't start the other 2. Same with Whiplash. However if you start War Machine first you can stack Whiplash. If you raise Monger, Whiplash shuts off - but you can start War Machine and then stack Monger with it.
    There's also the Iron Man scoring modes which you can start then stack with a Multi, but you can't start them in a multi.
    On top of that, you've got the Suits to collect and the challenge of lighting all modes within one ball to get the do or die shot. Or is it Jericho? I forgot lol. Anyway - lots of little bits of nuance and challenge and it's definitely addictive and has kept me coming back for years.

Suits get you Jericho and modes get you Do or Die shot.

I completely agree with rarehero in how addicting Iron Man is. One of my cousins was over a few weeks ago to try out my machines. He hops on Iron Man, next thing you know, he's on it for over 2 hours.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

How is the flow any different, aren't they the same except for a virtual kick back?

It's also missing the left vertical upkick.

#30 6 years ago

Oh, also want to add how clever some of the voice clip use is on IM. I love how an outlane drain during a Monger fight sometimes gets you "Your service is no longer required" with a synced flasher fx. If you drain a Monger multiball without hitting anything, you get a sarcastic Jeff Bridges "well that....that went well".

#31 6 years ago

To answer your question without pushing my favorite game off on you: Iron Man!

Unless you're a good player, it's more than deep enough to kick your ass over and over. If you ever complete Do or Die multiball, you'll be in the company of the greats of Pinball. It's immersive, with outstanding sound (get a Polk subwoofer to go with it). Also, you can stack two different multiballs, not just one. Obviously, start War Machine and bring in Whiplash. The second is a lot harder, but I accidentally did it last time I played my IM. You get War Machine ready and bring up Monger. Then, just before starting Monger multiball, slide a shot just to the left into War Machine and get ready for action. The next shot or two of War Machine multiball will inevitably start Monger multiball. It's very satisfying to do this, but extremely difficult. Rare to get extra balls on IM, as you can't earn one. You can adjust replay settings though and do it that way.

You can approach the game and modes any way you want and in any order, rather than feel like you have to play through a funnel. I generally flail on my first ball, aiming for the ramps and hoping to get lots of drones, IM standups, ramps, and Whiplash shots, but not enough to start anything. Then, second ball, I try to start them all to sneak into a very rare Do or Die wizard.

Oh yeah, set Monger to difficult so that he'll only come up from a straight up the middle shot once ready. Otherwise he's in your face too much.

IM isn't very deep, but it's deep enough for me, in fact, that rare magical single ball can get you to a wizard. More often though, you'll have to hit the start button a bunch.

Good luck with your decision!

#32 6 years ago

I think ST and IM are different game, one is a mission game and the other a pure scoring game.
    When I tried BSD at home (on loan) I was surprised how I was addictive with a simple rule game but so effective and well supported with an awesome soundtrack.

I think I will go with IM. I would just like to change the jackpot callouts! Don't know if this is possible

#33 6 years ago

I think ST and IM are different game, one is a mission game and the other a pure scoring game.
    When I tried BSD at home (on loan) I was surprised how I was addictive with a simple rule game but so effective and well supported with an awesome soundtrack.
    I think I will go with IM. I would just like to change the jackpot callouts! Don't know if this is possible

It's possible with pinball browser. You just have to find the sound bytes. That said, IM is a great game. The biggest negative is its repetitive. It's like a fun mini game. Not too many strategies and not much diverse things to do, but what there is to do is fun. I owned it twice but it didn't last longer than a month both times cause it got boring doing the same thing. Like I said earlier, it's a great game to sit unplayed while you play your other pins and revisit from time to time.

Despite its lack of breadth in rules, my pick would be ST in your 'near small' lineup as it has more variety, strategy, and such a cool immersive sound package.

#34 6 years ago

Can't go wrong with either. I have both and they compliment each other well.

#35 6 years ago

Don't forget ball times. Iron man WILL be a faster game compared to ST

#36 6 years ago

Also, there are alternate codes for IM by Pinsiders that add in some AC/DC.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's possible with pinball browser. You just have to find the sound bytes. That said, IM is a great game. The biggest negative is its repetitive. It's like a fun mini game. Not too many strategies and not much diverse things to do, but what there is to do is fun. I owned it twice but it didn't last longer than a month both times cause it got boring doing the same thing. Like I said earlier, it's a great game to sit unplayed while you play your other pins and revisit from time to time.
    Despite its lack of breadth in rules, my pick would be ST in your 'near small' lineup as it has more variety, strategy, and such a cool immersive sound package.

That's what I said small lineup ST has more rules and ways to play but a big lineup like I have (10 pins) IM is awesome and the callous are fine imo great movie quotes and custom call outs by Jarvis.

I always love when Monger says "Where do you think you're going?" And Whiplash has some great sound bites.

Still think Tron is a great (just saying)

IMG_2675 (resized).pngIMG_2675 (resized).png

#38 6 years ago

My line up is Williams IJ,TOTAN and GOT premium.
    For light show,deep rule set,fun and replayability no game comes close to GOT.I have no idea why this game isn't at the top of anyones list.We have had it for a year and a half and still love playing it
    If choosing between IM or ST I would definitely go with ST but should give GOT premium a try before you choose

#39 6 years ago

Thanks to all.
    Each games have its pro and con, and hard to choose.
    I decided to let the seller to choose in my place.
    I have just put an ad in the french forum, privileging a local transaction, so I would check what there is close to me among IM, ST, Tron, BSD.
    If I get the choice, I will go with IM.
    I will let you know.
    Thanks

3 weeks later
    #40 6 years ago

So finally a trade is in progress with a ST premium nib VS my Woz and i will also pick up a BSD.

I also have had the opportunity to take an IM or Tron but I tought I had better immersive atmospheres and callout with ST and BSD.

Thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-choose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.