Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a friend who wants me to led a few of his games but I have no idea what to charge him. When I do a game I take apart everything and do a shop job while I have it apart so this means new leds of course, rubbers, rebuilding whatever coils need it. he is willing to bring the games to me but I don't know what to charge. I will be buying all the parts and leds so all I need to know is labor for tear down, clean up, polishing, waxing and everything else that goes with cleaning up a game and rebuilding it.

game #1 is baby pacman. this should be a easy one as theres not much to it.
game #2 is a Flintstones
game #3 is a no fear

All the games will be done one at a time

#2 9 years ago

Baby pacman easy shop job but it has a ton of lights for the small playfield.

#3 9 years ago

I seen that my best guess was 60-75 of them.

#4 9 years ago

It's just my opinion but I would expect to pay $200-$300 per game plus parts for a complete shop job. I'm curious as to what others think.

#5 9 years ago

It depends on the games and what u find once you tear them down but Ive did a few for a friend that needed things rewired and soldered and completely torn down and cleaned and waxed also rebuilt whatever needed and I bought everything and only charged a extra 100 for my time and work but again this was a friend and I enjoy doing it .also got to play the game for a while which is nice .this friend also hooks me up on pins sometimes and also buys from me .but I would guess to do it for a regular joe that just wanted to hire me id do it for 200 -250 for the same job which isnt much considering I had many many hours and running around into it. Also depends how bad and dirty the game is

#6 9 years ago

The easiest way for a friend is cost plus. Find and hourly rate you are happy with. Price will depend on type of led's and if he wants or needs the flippers rebuilt new coil sleeves ect

#7 9 years ago

Neither game has been shopped out in at least 15 years maybe more. I will be getting the LEDs and rubbers so I'll get receipts for those. If anything major like new ramps are needed then he can get those. The flippers will need to be rebuilt. I'm looking at just labor cost. I can figure parts and everything else out later. He wants to use this as part of a trade deal so I have to figure out a dollar amount.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

It's just my opinion but I would expect to pay $200-$300 per game plus parts for a complete shop job. I'm curious as to what others think.

That sounds right to me too. It's a friend, so adjust as you feel necessary, but for a 'normal' I'd expect that you'd charge that much.

#9 9 years ago

I don't charge my friends, we help each other out for free all the time because we enjoy doing it, whether it's indtalling mods, LED or fixing a problem, what goes around comes around. I couldn't imagine telling my friend Jim that I would charge him money to LED his games, instead I would tell him that he's going to help and have some beers ready to go.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from BillE:

I don't charge my friends, we help each other out for free all the time because we enjoy doing it, whether it's indtalling mods, LED or fixing a problem, what goes around comes around. I couldn't imagine telling my friend Jim that I would charge him money to LED his games, instead I would tell him that he's going to help and have some beers ready to go.

Sure, I don't either, but it sounds like this is part of a trade. Sounds cool to me, do some work for your friend in exchange for something, and the money part is just to help establish value so everyone feels like it's a fair deal.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, I don't either, but it sounds like this is part of a trade. Sounds cool to me, do some work for your friend in exchange for something, and the money part is just to help establish value so everyone feels like it's a fair deal.

Exactly. This is needed to establish the value of the work done. He has a game that hes not going to "Give" away so we figured a trade would be good for both of us. Ive been doing this for free at the local jr high and elementary school for the last few years but they always buy the parts. On this deal I will be getting the leds and parts as part of the trade.

#12 9 years ago

Do not work for friends or family, As long as no money changes hands for work done, you will still be friends and have a relationship with your family members, do it as a favor and have them help you or just call on them later when you need a favor

#13 9 years ago

For a friend... I would do it for a night out with drinks paid for by him. He pays for all the parts.
That said, if you like the game and get to keep it for a few months then do the job for free. I have too many of my own games that need the treatment so this is rarely an option as time is too limited already.

For an acquaintance, I probably would not do it. Things get sticky in the middle zone.

For a stranger, full job with the works (top and bottom full tear down, tumble/sonicate, rebuild and resleeve, fixing along the way, new rubber, and bulbs, etc...) $800 minimum. A job like that takes me 50hrs minimum to do it to my standards so even that is way too cheap IMHO. Granted I am slow and meticulous when I do the full job style.

#14 9 years ago

If it wasn't part of the trade I would do it free. he wants his game to have LEDs in it and would rather have a partial trade then all cash. Some people just dont have the time to strip a pin and go through it. I do.

2 weeks later
#15 9 years ago

$200-$250 sounds fair for a shop job and flipper rebuilds to me per machine. That's the family and friends price of course.

#16 9 years ago

Cost plus a reasonable rate you and him are comfortable with. I'd set the time you plan to spend up front. If it takes longer than expected remember this is for a friend. If it goes way fast flip him some beer or wine afterwards.

I would also go with the led kit of his choice. That way you aren't making the color decisions.

#17 9 years ago

I had two pins shopped this year. I paid $250 each and supplied LED kits and everything else that was needed. I will probably have a couple more shopped in the next month or so.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I paid $250 each and supplied LED kits and everything else that was needed.

supercheap for that price!

#19 9 years ago

This is an impossible question without seeing what your idea of a shop job is. I have a couple versions of shopping a game here that are constantly modifying. I always want to take everything apart. Every coil assembly, every wiring harness, etc. I know that isn't realistic for a game I'm not gonna keep. If I don't intend on keeping it I'll do a partial teardown. Visible metal is buffed, may or may not use the tumbler. All rubber is changed. I'll estimate 10 hours. A real shop out for me is probably 40-60 hours on a modern game without any paint. Difference in selling price is almost none. If someone asked me to shop a game I don't like or have already had it would be more than a game that I kinda want to play for awhile. I don't charge often, it's tough.

#20 9 years ago

$200 plus parts and this is what that entails:
Full TOPSIDE teardown
Cleaned and waxed
Anything not functioning repaired(or replaced at owners expense)/ adjusted
New rubbers
New incandescent bulbs

This gives the owner a nice, clean, and very playable game without costing them an arm and a leg. This would take me about 15 hours. I'm not saying that this is complete, full shop job. What I am saying is that this turns what is most likely a rundown dirty game, into a clean and playable one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 9.95
2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-charge-to-led-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.