Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

This is a new one on me. Usually guys rent a vehicle to pick up their pins if they don't have something suitable.
    This guy hurt his back & wants me to deliver, bring up 6 stairs & setup game. I thought a dollar per mile, but what to charge for the setup & stairs? BTW it's an EM.

#2 5 years ago

Depends on location, but doesn't sound like a big job to me and I'll assume it's within an hour distance or you might have pointed it out. 6 stairs is nothing and an EM will present no hassles with narrow doorways etc.

I'd tack on at least $100 for your trouble, $200 if you wanna get greedy. I don't really get charging by the mile as you aren't UHAUL just figure out something that works.

#3 5 years ago

Going up the stairs with a 250 pound box SUCKSSSSS.
    If you're up for it, somewhere between 75-150 bucks

#4 5 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking $150 Its 85 miles roundtrip.

#5 5 years ago

I’d have to charge at least $25-50 an hour or it’s not worth even going. If you ask for $150-200 I think that would be ok

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

That's like 6 hours of your day. I'd go for $200 but probably wouldn't lose the deal because of it.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's like 6 hours of your day. I'd go for $200 but probably wouldn't lose the deal because of it.

Huh, 42 mi. one way. I figure an hr. to get there, an hr. back and an hr. there setting up. Levi where do you get 6 hrs.?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Huh, 42 mi. one way. I figure an hr. to get there, an hr. back and an hr. there setting up. Levi where do you get 6 hrs.?

Ah sorry I saw 85 miles each way. $150 sounds fine for the 3-4 hours of your day.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Very reasonable

#10 5 years ago

What happens if something goes wrong during the travel or move up the steps or you damage something in his house? Will he pay in full up front? You've got all the risk on this one...I'd walk away honestly.

#11 5 years ago

Also a BIG factor - when does new guy take ownership? What happens if you drop the pin, scratch dent dings, etc. 99% of the time, nothing happen but working out those terms BEFORE something does happen is the key.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Also a BIG factor - when does new guy take ownership? What happens if you drop the pin, scratch dent dings, etc. 99% of the time, nothing happen but working out those terms BEFORE something does happen is the key.

He's moving a game up 6 steps, and it's not a very far trip. Calling in the lawyers on this is pretty ridiculous.

I've delivered dozens of games and haven't run into issues. If it's a long trip I'd ask for a deposit.

#13 5 years ago

Hey, I appreciate all your input, things could happen for the worst. I was hoping to just drop it on the curb. Want to make it worth my while, but don't want to dick him.

#14 5 years ago

I would take your age and multiply by 6. So if you're 20 years old its 120.00, 50 years old its 300.00, 80 years its 480.00

#15 5 years ago

If you want to sell the game and don't have another buyer that's willing to pick it up then I would just deliver it. TBH within 2 hours I have never charged anyone to deliver, now I will say that I would stay more firm on my asking price if I'm delivering

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I would take your age and multiply by 6. So if you're 20 years old its 120.00, 50 years old its 300.00, 80 years its 480.00

I like your math!!

#17 5 years ago

I wouldn't do delivery *and* stairs for less than $300. Factor in equipment rental if what you have won't do stairs.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I wouldn't do delivery *and* stairs for less than $300. Factor in equipment rental if what you have won't do stairs.

Let's be realistic. It's an EM and the guy is probably paying $600-1000 for it. The seller is a hobbyist who probably wants this EM gone. So they have to work out a deal here that makes sense. $300 for delivery doesn't make sense.

And it's 6 stairs. Any one of us can easily navigate the bottom half of an EM with a handtruck and 6 stairs by ourselves.

If a guy calls me up and wants to hire me to move his EM game up 6 steps, yeah I'm not doing that for less than $400 even if it's local. But to facilitate a sale on a game like this I might be more flexible.

#19 5 years ago

I didn't read the thread, but if I were you, I'd get full payment first, including delivery charge.

You don't wanna get there, set the thing up, just to have him say I don't like it.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hey, I appreciate all your input, things could happen for the worst. I was hoping to just drop it on the curb. Want to make it worth my while, but don't want to dick him.

If you did dick him, would you wave the delivery fee?

Asking a few is totally fine. That said, I’ve had guys deliver the games Ive bought from them. For no charge to speak if, but part of the negotiation I’m sure.

Do what you want to do to sell your game.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Even if it's only a $500 em $150 sounds very reasonable with set up included.
    Contact any pinball service/repair person and most of them will charge you $150 just to come to your house to look at the game.

#22 5 years ago

Indeed. I've done a flight of narrow steep stairs before and it was brutal. I simply pointed out that our deal is done as of now. Whatever happens next getting up the stairs is on you. Cash on glass. It's a precarious situation to put oneself in.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

If you can get it unloaded, carried up, setup and get through the pin talkin' in less than 2 hours, you da' man!

#24 5 years ago

Appreciate everyone's opinion on this, I figure 100 bucks is cool. I mean the mileage, tolls, my time, all has to be considered.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

If you get an 80 year old guy to help you you can charge 500 bucks.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Appreciate everyone's opinion on this, I figure 100 bucks is cool. I mean the mileage, tolls, my time, all has to be considered.

I'd have him sweeten the deal with a Philly cheese steak,or I'd walk!

#27 5 years ago

Damn, what's the charge for 2 60 yr. old dudes?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Or Zep from Eve's....

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

bring up 6 stairs

I hope for your sake he means 6 stairs and not 6 flights of stairs. About landing #3, even an EM, will seemed to have gained an extra hundred pounds.

#30 5 years ago

Checked with him, 1 flight of 6 steps. I'm no spring chicken...

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

It would be cheaper if he bought a NIB game

#32 5 years ago

I used to deliver games all the time to people. Only ran into a problem twice. Once was when I did not get the money before hand and got the game all set up in the guys basement. When I got ready to leave and asked for payment, there was a short sparkle in the fellows eye that indicated he was thinking about not paying. The other time was just a total mess and I won't go into details.

Rule of thumb, unless you are insured or super desperate to unload the game, avoid anything but curbside delivery. The "nice guys finish last" saying applies here.

Now if it's a good friend you have known for years, of course help him out.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Let's be realistic. It's an EM and the guy is probably paying $600-1000 for it. The seller is a hobbyist who probably wants this EM gone. So they have to work out a deal here that makes sense. $300 for delivery doesn't make sense.
    And it's 6 stairs. Any one of us can easily navigate the bottom half of an EM with a handtruck and 6 stairs by ourselves.
    If a guy calls me up and wants to hire me to move his EM game up 6 steps, yeah I'm not doing that for less than $400 even if it's local. But to facilitate a sale on a game like this I might be more flexible.

OMG I can't believe I agree with Crazylevi

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I should never reply to a post when I'm hungry. Now that I had lunch,I'd charge him $50.00 a step.

#35 5 years ago

$100-150 and get payment before you take it out of the truck....

#36 5 years ago

It really depends on how bad you need the money or how badly u want to get rid of the game. Assuming its one or the other I would have him come play the game (maybe he already has?), agree on a price, get your cash and deliver the game for the agreed upon price. I would never take the risk of loading a game, delivering it, bringing it down the steps, plugging it in and having it not work. If he doesn't agree to those terms I would pass on the whole deal. Its not worth the risk.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Until last week I would have agreed with you 100%. But last week I was trying to dolly an EM up a flight of stairs. No big deal, right? Wrong.

These stairs were built different than any I have ever seen. Each stair extended out from its lower vertical support by 3". So all the dolly wheel could do was tuck itself in under the stair and get hung up under a 3" lip. It sucked. I tried pulling the play field glass and the play field to lighten the cabinet load. That was no help. I had to go find some extra hands.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

These stairs were built different than any I have ever seen. Each stair extended out from its lower vertical support by 3". So all the dolly wheel could do was tuck itself in under the stair and get hung up under a 3" lip. It sucked. I tried pulling the play field glass and the play field to lighten the cabinet load. That was no help. I had to go find some extra hands.

I had to deal with stairs just like this in the past, luckily I had help with me!!

#39 5 years ago

Stair climbing dolly is a must for anyone in the hobby that is not a spring chicken. It really does make the worst part the easiest. It was down a flight of bilco doors / steps. Setup, still working after the move and “warranty” calls would be more my concern. I delivered a 600 dollar gotlieb gold wings for 50 bucks. Like 20 miles each way. I told him I was no professional and gave him the number of one for repair and maintenance. It did survive a full show. The calls after we’re annoying. The last one he demanded I come fix it. Upon further questioning, he moved it and level was off which fixed it.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Double.

#41 5 years ago

...I'd be very careful here to not underbid.
    IF you deliver... the buyer expects the machine to be 100% functional on arrival... and we all know that machines don't always travel well.
    Expect to have to "work on" the machine to get it to 100% if you deliver. Else tell him no sale.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-charge-for-delivery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.