(Topic ID: 74491)

What to buy? TZ,ST Prem, AC/DC Prem? EDIT: Down to 2 choices now!

By NJGecko

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Next Machine”

• TZ plus cash 37 votes
    34%
  • ST Prem 23 votes
    21%
  • AC/DC Prem 41 votes
    38%
  • Cash out and pay off MMR balance 8 votes
    7%

(109 votes)

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I may be moving a machine, and have a few opportunities...

TZ plus some cash for my machine
Take the cash for my machine and pick up a ST Prem or AC/DC Prem.

Here are my personal thoughts..

TZ: How hard is it for a not-too-skilled player? The few times I've played it I felt like it was really hard and had a tough time grasping the rules.

AC/DC Prem...lots of them floating around. Fun game, hate the canon, but love the music. Love the LEDs. Feel like I could "learn" the rules on it.

ST Prem: Neat to possibly get another NIB machine. Not sure how much I'd love it, the theme doesn't do much. And I'm VERY uneasy about any NIB Sterns at this point (still have my Met Pro I'm waiting for love to come in on...)

Or I just take it and bank it towards MMR...

Leaning towards AC/DC or TZ.

Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

Depends on what kind of a game you like. TZ and AC/DC couldn't be any more different in terms of style.

One is fast and flowing, the other is really stop/go.

If you like stop and go more, TZ is probably the best example of it. If you like the ball smoothly sailing around the playfield, either ST or AC/DC Prem is your choice.

#3 10 years ago

Hey.. I own TZ and AC/DC Premium. As far as TZ it has some difficult shots but there not all that horrible once you play 20-30 games you get the hang of it. From there its just getting better. The rules are deep, but again read through the description and play it. TZ is my favorite game out of the Williams era machines. It's one of the most played at my parties as well so even newb's who don't understand it still like it.

AC/DC premium is just fantastic. I may suck as a player but it's no walk in the park. The bell, targets and missed ramp shots will make you pay. But its so rewarding. In my opinion its one of the best Stern games for me. Very popular with my friends and family as well.

I've played about 20-30 games on my brothers STLE. Its also a great game. It's going to be a top game as well..but I like ACDC better myself. To each is own.

If I had a choice I would go NIB personally.. either AC/DC or STLE. I don't like the artwork for the ST prem. but I'm sure its awesomeness as well.

Good luck with your choice

#4 10 years ago

If you end up interested in ACDC Premium let me know as I have mine up for sale and where pretty close to each other. Can't go wrong with any of these pins in my mind. Personally I prefer the newer faster games so ACDC or Star Trek would both be great choices.

#5 10 years ago

It's funny...I've played AC/DC a few times. I dig the music (a lot!) and the color changing lighting is amazing, especially how it's tied to songs. I just never played it enough to get a handle on the rules (beyond hit the flashing shots of course!).

I've had plenty of machines, but a lot of the B/W titles I enjoy working on, but playing...not so much.

#6 10 years ago

yeah the sterns offer a lot more depth and stuff to do.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

It's funny...I've played AC/DC a few times. I dig the music (a lot!) and the color changing lighting is amazing, especially how it's tied to songs. I just never played it enough to get a handle on the rules (beyond hit the flashing shots of course!).
I've had plenty of machines, but a lot of the B/W titles I enjoy working on, but playing...not so much.

I am trying to like ACDC love the music (the band) but i can not understand what's the fun stuff in there
i really want to dig it but c'ant!

Someone can tell us whats the cool stuff to do beside flashing shots and chamging songs after 8 songs lit!

WIzard mode on ACDC ?

Rule sheet somewhere ? i can not find it!

Thanks

#8 10 years ago

Someone n Pinside posted to a link of a friend's (or brother's) ACDC review for another site. Damned if I can find it though. It was excellent. I'll keep searching.

#9 10 years ago

I played STLE for the first time today (I've played the pro and have to say I was not a big fan of it). The LE has a MUCH better art package, and the lighting of it is WAY better than the pro. It just seemed the inserts were more clear, and easier to see. I know part of that was psychological, but it was a pretty fun game. By proxy, the premium will have the same lighting, and I have to say it is probably going to be a cool game if you like the premium art package.

AC/DC. Fast and flowy, great music, and they actually are interesting rules once you start to understand them. The cannon is interesting for a few shots, but would need some code changes (the cannon) to be a bit more interesting. I also don't care for the lower playfield on that game. It never feels "fun". But overall, the game is really good.

TZ. One of these things is not like the others! The two Sterns are much more similar than this animal. TZ is an amazing game. It takes a little while, but eventually it clicks. And by saying it like that you could probably guess that I would pick TZ. But I am very aware that TZ is an older game, and some people don't like 90s games like that.

So your real question comes down to one of the Kings the 90s had to offer, or a newer faster and flowier Stern game. Once you do that you will be down to 1 or 2 machines. If it is 1, get the TZ and have some fun. If it is 2, pick the theme you like better. In the long run, I think AC/DC is the better of the 2 games, but toss out another code update with the speech power pack, and that just might change to ST Prem.

#10 10 years ago

TZ! Best playfield layout ever assembled. Its amazeballs!

#11 10 years ago

I love TZ, it's probably the best game out there. However I don't work on games 20 year old stuff breaks and shows wear from 20 years of play, I like new or 'minty' so I tend to prefer the newer pins.

I think you have picked 3 winners, I just sold TZ to get ST LE but since I owned TZ for 6-7 years, that's one reason, I think anyone who wants to experience a different and probably the best pin of all time would do well to own TZ at some point.

But as I said all three are going to be fun. I don't particularly care for music pins or acdc music so that's a bit of a negative but I would seriously buy one for the right price.

My vote would go TZ, ST, acdc but I have not really played the two Stern enough to say for sure, but if asked for the proverbial 'other' choice I would suggest Tron.

#12 10 years ago

Bottom line is your going to sell or trade it in a month anyway so just pick one. You move pins faster than anyone.

#13 10 years ago

I usually get the games I like to play, not what someone else tells me I should like to play. So I recommend you do the same.

#14 10 years ago

GO PLAY THEM ALL.

Then decide.

#16 10 years ago

I've been a hard core TZ #1 pin for ages until AC/DC LE came along. TZ is still bad ass & I love it,but AC/DC makes me crazy still today a year + later. That's what makes this game stand alone & can't see another game ever taking its spot. Although I said the same thing a couple years ago about TZ. I hope I'm wrong again

#17 10 years ago

TZ is hard as hell. You can have a run of 400 million on game, and the very next game get 30 million. It's not an easy game by any means. I've only got to LITZ 3 times of owning it. 3 ball settings. But I didn't go for just cranking out door panels either. TZ is about as close as you can get to a flawlessly designed pinball machine. It was my number 1 for 10 years, and still no.2 in my book. AC/DC is great too, but TZ just has better toys, better layout, better art package and all around better.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

I am trying to like ACDC love the music (the band) but i can not understand what's the fun stuff in there
i really want to dig it but c'ant!
Someone can tell us whats the cool stuff to do beside flashing shots and chamging songs after 8 songs lit!
WIzard mode on ACDC ?
Rule sheet somewhere ? i can not find it!
Thanks

Lots and lots of rules. The more you learn, the better it gets.

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/4761-For-Those-About-to-Rock-AC-DC-Premium-LE-v1-65-Ruleset

#19 10 years ago

TZ is not that bad if you can stay out of the pop bumpers, has fun shots and is pretty deep. If you like Ac/DC as a band get it, there is a high factor of fun but when you drain off a cannon shot I bet you will be pissed(does not happen often). Have not played ST yet but from what I have seen it is fast and flows like tron. I don't think you can really be that wrong with any of these.

#20 10 years ago

I dont care much for TZ its alot stop-n-go. I would go for AC/DC pre or ST pre. AC/DC Pre is a great game, havent tryed ST Pre yet but i'm about to buy one

#21 10 years ago

Hmm...as much as I'm interested in ST, I just don't think I like it enough to drop all of my cash on it. Thinking I could get a MetLE or the AC/DC.....

#22 10 years ago

I have to say ACDC as I have owned this game for a while and there is just no getting tired of it. I know people don't like to hear this, but it's the perfect pinball machine.

#23 10 years ago

I have ACDC prem and TZ, both are great, ACDC is just more exciting for people, the music and sounds really build you up in that game.

TZ though is my second favorite to TAF, and I would choose it over ACDC. It can be such a drain whore in the outlanes, but good games feel really good.

My best was 4.6B, and four LITZ's over an hour and a half! Don't worry, I was the only one there to witness and I almost want to call bullshit on myself.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have ACDC prem and TZ, both are great, ACDC is just more exciting for people, the music and sounds really build you up in that game.
TZ though is my second favorite to TAF, and I would choose it over ACDC. It can be such a drain whore in the outlanes, but good games feel really good.
My best was 4.6B, and four LITZ's over an hour and a half! Don't worry, I was the only one there to witness and I almost want to call bullshit on myself.

I won't call it bull. The best scores I get are when nobody is around to bother me.I have never gotten 4.6 or 4 LITZ in one game either.

#25 10 years ago

TZ is the best game ever so far! I have two. Just got my STLE, really like it so far and have not scrated the surface. Will see with time its staying power.

#26 10 years ago

Also reconsidering ST...so many good things I'm hearing about it...

#27 10 years ago

All three are great games so no wrong choice to be made. I put them in this order:
TZ
AC/DC
ST

#28 10 years ago

Wow thanks for that ! The rules are awesome,now i will try it ones more with notice of the rules.

NJGecko i love the lOoK on the AC/DC LUCI ,it's by far the best looking version,Hot and Sexy
LUCI should have been the real LE !

#30 10 years ago

Wow thanks for that ! The rules are awesome,now i will try it ones more with notice of the rules.
NJGecko i love the lOoK on the AC/DC LUCI ,it's by far the best looking version,Hot and Sexy
LUCI should have been the real LE !

I'd have been reluctant to buy if Luci was the LE.

#31 10 years ago

Well....I'm still on the fence, but I think my immediate plan for today, if I can get out of work a hair early, is to head down to Modern Pinball and put some plays up on all three machines...!

#32 10 years ago

TZ and ACDC are 2 of my favorite games. One thing i'd suggest is playing TZ and understanding the rules/scoring first. It was just another game to me when I tried playing it without knowing what I was doing. ACDC is just pure fun. Best of luck to you with your decision.

#33 10 years ago

i love the lOoK on the AC/DC LUCI ,it's by far the best looking version,

Different tastes then...

#34 10 years ago

Mildly surprised about the poll results. With all of the hype over ST, I figured I'd have a ton of people saying HELL YEAH, ST!

I dunno. I think both TZ and AC/DC have rules that are best meant to be understood. And the more you understand, the more you get out of them.

Theme...I think TZ wins there. I do dig AC/DC, that's the music I grew up with, and those songs bring back a lot of memories of listening to them on my Walkman.

#35 10 years ago

I like AC/DC also but after playing it for 25-30 games at( Eight on the Break )I think I would lean towards TZ.

It is more fun to play just without the music.

#36 10 years ago

Eventually get both. I would get the better machine/deal that you find on either machine TZ/ACDC first. Avoid the new car premium on the ST.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

TZ! Best playfield layout ever assembled. Its amazeballs!

+1.

I love TZ. In my opinion, one of the best games ever made. Awesome integration of theme. Fantastic multiballs. Awesome sound and light show. Love the power ball, power playfield, everything!

To be fair, I haven't played ST, so I cann't comment on it. It looks awesome, but it will be around for a long time. You can always get one HUO later and save some money. If you have a chance to get a minty TZ, grab it. They don't come up every day.

I'm probably the only person on the planet that isn't impressed with AC/DC. The Premium is much better than the Pro. I "like" the game, I just don't love it enough to own it. I found the game very same, same. Select a song, hit the shot(s) to light all the shots. Hit all the shots, keep doing it until you feel the jackbot is worth it, load the cannon and repeat. Oh, start a mulitball or three at some point. I realize there is more to it, but that's it in a nut shell. I miss "modes" when I'm playing it. I have a few games w/o modes, but they don't feel as same same as AC/DC. Just not a fan of the game at all.

Cheers,
Duane

#38 10 years ago

ST is the way to go and here is why it has much cooler shots then ACDC. I do love both ACDC and TZ though, but the warp shot in ST is killer and the lighting system is crazy, but ultimately I would say get which ever one appeals to you the most.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

All three are great games so no wrong choice to be made. I put them in this order:
TZ
AC/DC
ST

+1. You did my all my thinking for me.

But I would suggest considering a TOM. While it is easy, it also one of the fullest games out there. In terms of design, toys, integration of theme, artwork, simplicity of rules and fun - it really is well thought out. You can dial back some of the settings to make it a little tougher. Heck if you set it up as a one-ball game, it would be very tough. I prefer three ball setting on it though and to try and get to the grand snooze. It is one of those games that I always enjoy playing when I find one, and it gets better then more beers I drink.

#40 10 years ago

Thanks. I had a TOM. Did a gorgeous job on it. In the end, had it working and playing like a champ, but there was nothing to it. It turned into a "pretty to turn on and look at, but not play so much" game.

#41 10 years ago

If you like the music, Ac/dc is the best/most fun pin ever...................................!

#42 10 years ago

So I went to Modern Pinball today. Had some good time on all three choices. Wondered if it was sending a message that TZ and AC/DC were next to each other...

Anyway...played AC/DC for a while and I just can't get into it. It's a nice looking pin and I like the music, but I just can't get into it. So I'm not going to toss out $6k or so for a pin that I've now played in 4 locations and just can't enjoy except watching other people!

So...TZ. Played it for a while. Fun game. Really had a chance to get into the rules for the first time. I enjoyed it.

Then I walked over to ST. It was a pro. And I didn't necessarily understand the rules, but I really really enjoyed it. It was a fun game. I don't have a ton of details, but it was bright, and fun to play. But I do think I'd want a premium. The plastic ball returns were starting to look a little worn. And I think the additional color changing LEDs probably would add a lot more to the atmosphere.

I walked away from my time there saying I gotta get me a Star Trek...!

#43 10 years ago

Star Trek Pro doesnt feel gimped, it's the best value for sure. But if the money isn't a problem then you're right, the full RGB LEDs are really nice, and the metal rails feel great. The VUK isn't really a big deal but it works well.

#44 10 years ago

Yep. Agreed. I can swing the premium. Or the pro and pocket some cash.

#45 10 years ago

Oh and spring for the shaker too, it's really nicely integrated.

#46 10 years ago

Of course!

Still pondering tz.

#47 10 years ago

TZ has deep rules and is not an approachable beginners machine. For example, if you have non pinheads over they won't really enjoy it. It takes time to get into and appreciate. However, for these same reasons it's a good game to own because it will give you lasting play value. If you dig the theme, even better.

#48 10 years ago

Never played ST & don't plan to,but TZ & AC/DC are SO different,it's hard to choose between the 2. Theme is key as to why I can't stand ST. Play them all if you like the theme & go from there.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

So I went to Modern Pinball today. Had some good time on all three choices. Wondered if it was sending a message that TZ and AC/DC were next to each other...
Anyway...played AC/DC for a while and I just can't get into it. It's a nice looking pin and I like the music, but I just can't get into it. So I'm not going to toss out $6k or so for a pin that I've now played in 4 locations and just can't enjoy except watching other people!
So...TZ. Played it for a while. Fun game. Really had a chance to get into the rules for the first time. I enjoyed it.
Then I walked over to ST. It was a pro. And I didn't necessarily understand the rules, but I really really enjoyed it. It was a fun game. I don't have a ton of details, but it was bright, and fun to play. But I do think I'd want a premium. The plastic ball returns were starting to look a little worn. And I think the additional color changing LEDs probably would add a lot more to the atmosphere.
I walked away from my time there saying I gotta get me a Star Trek...!

ST is awesome. Get an nib premium. You will love it more than the pro! My problem with the game was the linear code; but 1.4 opened its depth up, and we still haven't got the 'Bones' update.

TZ is a classic and will always have a place in my heart (one of the games to get me into pinball). But ST prem is on a whole new level.

#50 10 years ago

I'm also thinking about AC/DC vs ST. TZ i played waaay to much (was my first game)

So i'm ST vs AC/DC (Both Premium)

However a friend has AC/DC great game, but might be stupid since i can play at his house!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-buy-tzst-prem-acdc-prem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.