(Topic ID: 217925)

What to buy Tron or Multiple 90s DMD Machines

By smoothbore19

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

So I am savings towards 6.5K. I really want a Tron. I have been a big fan since the 80s. I was thinking with that money I could get two to three 90s area DMD machines. I have wanted a Dreed, Johnny New, T3, South Park, and others. I am really leaning towards Tron as it seems like this machine is hold price and probably going up. So what would yall go for.

#2 5 years ago

How much space do you have?

Looks like you have a couple 90s era machines in your collection already -- maybe adding something newer is the way to go?
    There definitely seems to be a different feel to the modern games, find a Tron on location and play it for awhile. If the gameplay, music, art, etc. only add to your desire to own one it might make your decision easier.

#3 5 years ago

Tron is a great pin. You won’t regret getting one. Definitely get one with Eli ramps.
    It’s a great pin to mod.

#4 5 years ago

I think Tron is a great pin, but ultimately, for the same price, you can't go wrong with a pin like Judge Dredd plus another similar priced 90s pin. Three pins is possible if you consider two or three of them to be System 11 titles.

#5 5 years ago

Play tron before you buy it.
    I don't like it.

#6 5 years ago

Tron is awesome, but don’t plan on it appreciating in value anymore.

Vault editions will limit any future appreciation on this title IMO.

#7 5 years ago

Where are you located?

#8 5 years ago

Have you not played Tron? It's fine but has some serious hype behind it. I wouldn't buy such an expensive game on other people's opinions. It's also a game already selling for something like 50% above what it originally sold for, so I don't know about the investment angle here.

#9 5 years ago

In the Colorado springs area. I have space for upwards of 10 more machines. I like the idea of a few more machine but I wont be able to get this kind of money together again anytime soon. I am not worried about a machine being worth less or more after getting it. I tend to hold on to things for a long time. So I will get my monies worth from playing. Wish I could have gotten into the hobby when the machines wert so expensive.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from smoothbore19:

Wish I could have gotten into the hobby when the machines wert so expensive.

That’s what we all say

I have Tron LE, if I had 6.5 k... I’d get TNA...

Don’t get me wrong, my Tron is never leaving. I love it, it’s a great game.

But a pro is not an LE when it comes to this game... go play TRON, play it a lot, play TNA and then sleep on it.

Then ask yourself which direction you want your collection to go, then go get what you want

#11 5 years ago

If you really like tron then get it. I asked myself the same thing when I got my Dialed In. I could have gotten several good games for the price. But, the more I played Dialed In I knew I wanted it. I never regretted it. If tron is a game you really want, then it's worth your money.

#12 5 years ago

So I am savings towards 6.5K. I really want a Tron. I have been a big fan since the 80s. I was thinking with that money I could get two to three 90s area DMD machines. I have wanted a Dreed, Johnny New, T3, South Park, and others. I am really leaning towards Tron as it seems like this machine is hold price and probably going up. So what would yall go for.

I live in Colorado . My buddy has one for sale .
    cosprings.craigslist.org link

#13 5 years ago

I will be going to the Rocky mountain pinball showdown here in June. I plan on playing every machine there. Hopefully they will have a Tron I can spend some time on.

#14 5 years ago

Tron is a well designed game for sure but I guess it depends on what 2 Bally/Williams games you can obtain for the price of $6500.

The ones listed above are not games I look at as long term solutions vs what Tron has to offer.

The sound on Tron alone is worth it to me. Haha. Sounds crazy but every time I have the disc multi ball lit and I'm not having a great game, I drain the ball just so I can listen to the music for a minute or two. Now my 5 year old does it for the same reason.

Tron is similar to iron man to me in way of rules but with a little more depth I feel and some achievable wizard modes. I also like 3 flipper games that play to more than one upper playfield area shot, tron has this. (Note: I also like xmen le, which most don't hold in high regard)

#15 5 years ago

.....I really want a Tron. I have been a big fan since the 80s......

So ...get yourself a Tron!
    Otherwise it keeps haunting you

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

So ...get yourself a Tron!
    Otherwise it keeps haunting you

I second that.

#17 5 years ago

I am a big Tron fan. I owned the machine for less than a year. It is a beautifull looking machine for sure, but its play got old on me very quick. Play one if you can first.

#18 5 years ago

Tron didn’t last too long in my basement. Definitely play Tron before a potential purchase, it just didn’t click with me or my family. I think I’d rather have 3 pins instead of the Tron.

#19 5 years ago

I have a tron and like it but im not sure its the first newer stern I would go for. On the other hand the bally/Williams games have gone up in price enough that you may have a hard time even finding 2 nice ones. I think your plan to play alot of games at the show is a good one, then you can see what you really like.

#20 5 years ago

I've seen it said multiple times that it would be difficult to find multiple Bally/ Williams games from the 90s for 6500. That may be true, but there were other people making pinball machines in the 90s.

#21 5 years ago

Tron has all the right ingredients but doesn't click for me either. So many other great games out there for less money as well. You can even get a new Stern pro. My money is on Stern doing a Tron vault edition someday unless licensing is a problem. They would sell a ton of them. That said, it would be pretty low risk buying a Tron. Easy to sell if not your thing.

#22 5 years ago

Love tron and think it actually is > than Judge and South Park together. If you can get a Johnny too for the same price then that’s different but prices on the games just mentioned aren’t what they were. SP was 1800-2200, judge 1600-1800, and Johnny 2200 - 2400 max. Now people out there want 3250 for a judge 3300 for a South and 3400 for a Johnny . Bottom line is for that kind of money get the tron.

#23 5 years ago

Tron rocks. $6000-$6500 should get you a real nice used one with lots of mods already installed. Go for it

#24 5 years ago

Sounds like you want Tron so buy a Tron.

The hobby isn’t really as complicated as it seems buy the game(s) you want if you can afford them. Sounds like you can!

#25 5 years ago

Tron is the most overrated pin ever, get the other pins

#26 5 years ago

For what it's worth. I had a strong lust for a Tron thinking it was a "had to own it game" then I bought one...and I still have to own it a year later. Not leaving anytime soon! And don't listen to nay sayers about the Pro, it's just as fun to play. Get the ramp and arcade mods if you have to have them, otherwise just some LEDs will spruce it up considerably.

#27 5 years ago

Get multiple games. More games is nearly ALWAYS more fun than just one. Tron has a great music soundtrack, but that's about it.

To me, JM >>> Tron.

Yep, I said it.

Coincidentally, I have JM. Wonder if I'm biased...

I'd make your purchases soon though. Nowadays, prices go up practically daily.

#28 5 years ago

Variety is better. Jd+jm+ whatever else gives you a huge variation/ variety in shots plus game play. I would absolutely go the mutltiple pin route... I’m not nor ever been much of a tron fan, but do like the 3 way ramp combo. If you decide other wise which you likely won’t you can sell the games to fund a tron

#29 5 years ago

As is always the case with questions like this, buy what you like to play.

I have a lot of 90s B/Ws and like you, Tron was a dream theme for me so it was no brainer buy for me. I personally think Tron is a solid game and I love the theme. If you've played it, like it and it didn't bore you, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

And if you do buy it and end up not liking it -- you can always sell it. Given the title, you shouldn't have any problem finding a buyer.

#30 5 years ago

Seems to me some guys don't "get" Tron, or don't know the rules, or can't make the Gem shot. If you're just flipping around, trying to start a multi-ball, then yeah you'll be underwhelmed. But you're doing it wrong.

The thrill of progressing to Sea of Simulation and Portal is what the pin in really about. And you need to have the Gem and Quorra shots down in order to do so. Play it this way and 9 out of 10 will be hooked.

#31 5 years ago

I would take 3 games over Tron. Tron is a great machine, but there are several other cheaper options that I prefer. Good Luck!

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Seems to me some guys don't "get" Tron, or don't know the rules, or can't make the Gem shot. If you're just flipping around, trying to start a multi-ball, then yeah you'll be underwhelmed. But you're doing it wrong.
    The thrill of progressing to Sea of Simulation and Portal is what the pin in really about. And you need to have the Gem and Quorra shots down in order to do so. Play it this way and 9 out of 10 will be hooked.

I actually feel bad for pinball guys who dont get it. I would love for all of them to have the light bulb go off but alas it cannot scratch every itch. Tron is Sterns most balanced game. Easy to understand, very hard to master, with great sound, flow, and theme integration. In my opinion, it is a work of art. I feel the other titles mentioned in this thread are vastly inferior games, but just my 2c. My tron is bolted to the floor.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

I actually feel bad for pinball guys who dont get it. I would love for all of them to have the light bulb go off but alas it cannot scratch every itch. Tron is Sterns most balanced game. Easy to understand, very hard to master, with great sound, flow, and theme integration. In my opinion, it is a work of art. I feel the other titles mentioned in this thread are vastly inferior games, but just my 2c. My tron is bolted to the floor.

Well said. IMO Tron is easily superior to 2 $3k 90's pins, especially these days with pinflation.

If you could actually get a nice BSD and Shadow for $6000-$6500 sure, but I don't think so. More like a Demo Man and a Judge Dredd.

If you had asked Tron vs 4-5 good 80s solid state pins then I'd side with the latter. I'm into my HS, F14, Taxi and Comet for a little under $6k. Nice little 80's lineup. Takes up a lot more space though.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

I totally agree, once you understand the rules and you a like Fast playing pin. You’ll never let it go. It’s definitely a pin you’ll want to keep playing over and over again.

#35 5 years ago

I second buying a TNA... nothing in that price point compares.

#36 5 years ago

Go AFMr over Tron. TNA is awesome too! I’d go The Shadow and Johnny Mnemonic, or White Water and Johnny Mnemonic. I haven’t played T3, but heard it’s not as good as T2, which I love.

#37 5 years ago

Go with the 90s machines first - get bored of them and then buy tron. As for vault - I wouldn't hold your breath. People have been saying the same thing for 4+ years.

#38 5 years ago

I think at this point Tron will be the one. I do hope I can find an one without mods. I would like to do that kind of work myself. It seems like all the ones I see for sale are modded that's fine, but it gets the prices up.

#39 5 years ago

I would go with the 90's pins. JM and JD are two of the biggest bang for your buck pins and offer a lot of variety with JD being a wide body and JM having a deep ruleset. I previously owned Tron and while it is a great game, it does not offer you the variety or the deep ruleset.
    If not the 90's pins, I would get IMD, it is Stern's best pin yet...

#40 5 years ago

If I could get my wife into pinball this stuff would be much easier for sure. She does like to play Ghostbusters, but man that thing is just as expensive as the Tron. If I got her the GB it would be a couple of years before I could get into a pin that expensive again, and buy then who know what the prices would be like.

#41 5 years ago

It makes me cringe to see some of the pins that Tron is being compared to in this thread.

#42 5 years ago

Probably get a Ghostbusters Pro and a Johnny Mnemonic or South Park or something for 6500 total If you dont get a Tron

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Probably get a Ghostbusters Pro and a Johnny Mnemonic or South Park or something for 6500 total If you dont get a Tron

Man, I really, really disagree.

GB Pro and SP are two of Stern's worst. They don't deserve to carry Tron's luggage. There's a reason Tron is one of the very few modern Sterns that went up in value, and the only Pro I can think of that went up in value.

@ the OP
    Don't pay $6500 for a Tron unless it is mint/near mint and totally tricked out. Stock Tron Pro should be closer to $5k. Very hard to find though. Tron has some of the coolest mods in pinball and pretty much everybody put on some mods.

#44 5 years ago

Tron is pretty, but just OK I think. I'd go for multiple other DMDs though, unless you've played a lot of Tron and know you really love it.

Along the same lines, if you go with mulitple DMD, unless you've played South Park and really love it for some reason, pass on that one. The theme is fun, the game play is meh, and the callouts wear very thin.

#45 5 years ago

if you want tron get it. have a pro, going nowhere. great game. the mix of gameplay/sounds make it one of, if not sterns best. i have JM and its cool as hell, but its not as cool as tron is. TNA, fun pin, more fun when playing with someone else, no desire to get one. dredd + south park or tron. easy choice, tron wins. but, the only opinion that matters, is yours. get what you want.

#46 5 years ago

For 6.5K you could get a JD, another DMD Williams/Bally...and maybe even enough left to sneak in an old school EM.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Man, I really, really disagree.
    GB Pro and SP are two of Stern's worst. They don't deserve to carry Tron's luggage. There's a reason Tron is one of the very few modern Sterns that went up in value, and the only Pro I can think of that went up in value.
    @ the OP
    Don't pay $6500 for a Tron unless it is mint/near mint and totally tricked out. Stock Tron Pro should be closer to $5k. Very hard to find though. Tron has some of the coolest mods in pinball and pretty much everybody put on some mods.

I never said they were great games, he said his wife wanted a ghostbusters and he said he wanted a South Park.

#48 5 years ago

Agreed. Don't get GB. It's attractive with the cool theme, art, and world under glass but doesn't play well. Too many issues and definitely not Stern's better efforts. I would wait a little while longer and look for one cheap if you really want one. Probably can find one stinking cheap. Don't think prices will hold on that one. If you really like Tron and can swing the price, go for it. Nothing beats getting the game you really want. Wives, kids, and friends will probably not play near as much as you. Get what you want. For me, that game is TZ. Got one early this year. Put way too much $$$ into it but don't care. Love owning it and playing it. Be nice to get cheaper games and save cash but they are cheaper for a reason. They typically get old fast so trade hands often. Solid games grow roots and tough to pry from owner's hands.

#49 5 years ago

Tron is the only pin I owned twice. I also sold it twice. I can’t say that I got bored with it. I saw all there was to see multiple times.

I love it. Looks awesome. Plays great. Gem shot is so satisfying to hit.

Code is shallow. Play is tough. They compliment each other. Every game starts to be the same though. Get CLU ready. Pair light cycle MB w/it. You’ll finish CLU but light cycle is tough. You’ll accidentally start and finish TRON and FLYNN and maybe even ZUSE. Then go for the rest.

SOS is a cool concept. If you drain you need to start EVERYTHING again to try for PORTAL, which I thought was underwhelming really.

Tough pin for the casual player. Still, TRON is damn awesome. You WILL want another pin though, but if that’s what you want it’s tough to not go for it.

#50 5 years ago

If there was ever a pin you need to play before buying it, it is TNA. The hype train on that one is off the rails. More fun as a multi player. I got bored with it quickly, not so with Tron.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-buy-tron-or-multiple-90s-are-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.