Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which theme would make you most likely to buy a pin?”

• Harry Potter 72 votes
      21%
    • Toy Story 37 votes
      11%
    • Blade Runner 47 votes
      13%
    • Pulp Fiction 38 votes
      11%
    • Star Wars 56 votes
      16%
    • Iron Maiden 35 votes
      10%
    • Jaws 37 votes
      11%
    • Muppets 19 votes
      5%
    • Rush 10 votes
      3%

(351 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chuck-jones-rules- (resized).jpg
    wolfenstein_wallpaper02-C (resized).jpg
    Return-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Free-Download-11 (resized).jpg
    futurama-01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0084 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0083 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0082 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0081 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0068 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20161104_003835 (resized).jpg
    Wicked City (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    BR (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0635 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

By the way, please vote based purely on what theme you'd like to see most, regardless of whether you think it will actually be made or not (many people say the Harry Potter license is unobtainium for example)

I am starting to really wonder if this idea that HP is unobtainable is an urban legend. Some people have mentioned that J.K. Rowling herself put the brakes on a HP pinball machine. It still really wonder how true these rumors are.

I wonder if it is more of a financial thing. Maybe whomever really owns the rights to something like a pinball machine for HP is making it cost prohibitive.

Either way, if they crack this nut, this very well could be the next MM of pinball. The theme will sell itself....and if it is done correctly, it could very well be epic. Talk about a theme that will cross generations. Crossing fingers.

#69 7 years ago

So the following was pulled from this article...thanks for the link btw

http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/

===========

So what about the great Harry Potter question? That would seem to be an ideal licence for almost any pinball company, but rumour has it that the author will never allow a Harry Potter pinball machine. Is that the case?

“J.K. Rowling doesn’t want a pinball machine at the moment. The category is not one she wants to happen,” says Sharpe.

But there’s possible good news for Potter fans.”I am first in line for the licence, and I am waiting for when the timing is right,” he says. “When it is I will see if a particular manufacturer will step up – or I might like to do it myself.”

===========

I really wonder what the latest is on this. To say J.K. Rowling doesn't want a machine at this moment seems silly at best. There is something else in play here.

And what about the "I am first in line"? Did Sharpe cut a verbal deal already? This seems like there is already a long-term strategy in play here. I am really wondering if the "timing" has to do with the promotion of the next series of movies that are starting to come out. Wonder if this is more strategic than we think? I am focusing on the word "timing". To me that is not coincidence. It is more of a foreshadow.

Maybe I am trying to read between the lines more than anything. I would love JJP to get Harry Potter. I think they are in the best position to make the best machines at this point.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

I want a theme that has current relevance and popularity. That list is 90% old stuff. I'm disappointed in all the old themes that pinball is still producing and focused on. It's obviously an old man hobby at this time.
    For a great and current pin theme, give me
    a mad max movie reboot theme,
    a non-licensed apocalypse theme (DI isn't there at this time, but it may get there with some changes),
    a call of duty or assassin's creed theme,
    a new POTC,
    a solomun music theme,
    a wolverine theme based off of his movies (and the new one),
    a new star wars movie theme,
    a king kong based on the new movie,
    a lego batman movie version,
    a wreck it ralph,
    a lego movie version,
    a planet of the apes from all the recent movies,
    even the maze runner movie/book series would be very interesting for a pinball theme,
    etc.
    Some upcoming movies that people may like for pinball themes also include
    a new world war z,
    a new king kong,
    a new planet of the apes,
    a new xxx,
    a new king arthur,
    a new blade runner,
    and the dark tower.
    Here's the new assassin's creed trailer. Looks awesome.
    » YouTube video

To me Assassin's Creed will run into trouble with the "home friendly" challenge. The polar opposite of this is Wizard of Oz. I think it is funny how the wives are getting involved more with some of these purchases from a mainly all male buyer pool. Guessing the cost of the pinball machine is driving some of that. It simply isn't a couple thousand dollar investment anymore.

#113 7 years ago

It is funny. I am passionate about this topic because I want pinball to grow into the next generation. That is why I love the HP theme. Are there other themes I personally may like a little better, yes. But HP will cross a lot of generations and maybe even hook in some non-pinball players. We need this to sustain the hobby.

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from Stebel:

If the game is for location - Harry Potter for sure. Will attract a younger crowd to try a pinball. Still will appeal to lots of adults too.
    For home, which is the older crowd - The Three Stooges or Monty Python. Some game that is very humorous. One where the callouts would really make fun and antagonize the player for poor play. Moe calling the player a bunch of names would be hilarious.

Agreed that Monty Python could be a good option. Basically it would be a sequel to MM. Lots of potential there.

I have trouble seeing Three Stooges. The callouts alone could get really annoying very quickly. Plus I am thinking there is a generation and a half that doesn't even know how to spell Three Stooges.

Harry Potter for sure. By far the best choice for location as well as the home. Best choice for sustainability with pinball. Someone needs to crack that licensing nut. If I was Jack, I would be on a plane to England to work J.K. Rowling over. There has to be a way to make that work.

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Considering the 2012 movie got 5 stars on imdb, I'd guess even those that know it don't care about it anymore
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383010/

HP Gross sales for the last of 8 movies grossed about $10 Billion. That is the money from just the movies.

imdb is showing $44 Million for Three Stooges.

The original Blade Runner grossed $34 Million. Although I think that was poor marketing because I loved the movie.

The problem is that the majority of the films people are proposing are for Boomers (maybe some X-r's). That market is dying off by the millions each year. Need to rope in the next generation. That is why someone has to catch the whale, HP.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-theme-would-you-like-to-see-most?tu=iamabearsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.