Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which theme would make you most likely to buy a pin?”

• Harry Potter 72 votes
      21%
    • Toy Story 37 votes
      11%
    • Blade Runner 47 votes
      13%
    • Pulp Fiction 38 votes
      11%
    • Star Wars 56 votes
      16%
    • Iron Maiden 35 votes
      10%
    • Jaws 37 votes
      11%
    • Muppets 19 votes
      5%
    • Rush 10 votes
      3%

(351 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chuck-jones-rules- (resized).jpg
    wolfenstein_wallpaper02-C (resized).jpg
    Return-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Free-Download-11 (resized).jpg
    futurama-01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0084 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0083 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0082 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0081 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0068 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20161104_003835 (resized).jpg
    Wicked City (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    BR (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0635 (resized).JPG
    There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

So true. I may be the only one on the Bloodborne list but...I'd be there.

I'm with ya for sure, a Dark Souls pin would be fine by me to. The great thing with video games is you have the concept, the art, music and video but it leaves it open for original design. GTA would work really well the whole pin would change mood from 3 to Vice City then the hood and hip hop for San Andreas, just those 3 but then you have 4 and 5, Dead Space, Mass Effect and Far Cry, Fallout, damn.

#102 7 years ago

Ninja Scroll and so many more Japanamation films

-ninja_scroll4 (resized).jpg-ninja_scroll4 (resized).jpg

#103 7 years ago

#1 on my list. Ghost in the shell. Please
    Prefer stand alone complex. A lot of action, great art, and fun things. Top selling anime series for a few years for sure.
    #2 Monty Python. I think more of the sketch stuff from flying circus, the popular ones that made it onto their albums. Or a movie with references to popular sketches, parrot,
    #1 The Larch
    #3 Fifth Element, goals of movie would translate well into pinball, good music, light. I see something with a Zorg ZF-1 shooting the pinball. Futuristic look.

#104 7 years ago

#2: The Larch

#105 7 years ago

Metal Gear Solid

#106 7 years ago

JAWS
    Big Trouble In Little China

#107 7 years ago

Ren and Stimpy? Or Beavis and Butthead..

#108 7 years ago

- Harry Potter gets my vote. Fantastic potential for toys, 4 houses clearly identified, lots of material potentially available, targets several generations.
    - Toy story may be an excellent choice. Aiming different demographics, sure. But I guess some of us would not mind be "forced" to order a game because the kids or the wife want it!
    - Star Wars... may be. It better be good then (too many failures with this theme - not sure it will be easy to transpose SW universe into a pin. We'll see!).
    - Blade runner... I liked the movie, but not sure it would translate well into a pinball machine. Would love to be proved wrong though.
    - Iron maiden... distinctive artwork, would work well for a pinball machine... except I have not listened to them for 25 years.

Now that LCD display becomes the norm, licensing a movie makes a lot of sense... so much material you can reuse (OK, provided the studio/actors are not too restrictive or greedy)

#109 7 years ago

S U R F I N G

loooooooong overdue. lots od people surf, so lots of people would buy
    Look at the crowd here. Just sitting around waiting for a surfing pin.

crowded (resized).jpgcrowded (resized).jpg

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Blade runner... I liked the movie, but not sure it would translate well into a pinball machine. Would love to be proved wrong though.

I think it would, each replicant is a mode with Roy as the wizard, Tyrell corp, Sebastian, plus so many options for side missions, mini multi's. Testing Leon Mode, "I'll tell you about my mother" talk about atmosphere, music and great clips, oh man.

Blade-Runner-blade-runner-30928053-1280-800 (resized).jpgBlade-Runner-blade-runner-30928053-1280-800 (resized).jpg

leon (resized).jpgleon (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago

It is grown men (mostly) voting in this poll right?

I get the Toy Story love more than the HP love. It has broad family appeal and humor.

Still, I would have thought Blade Runner would have much greater appeal to this small demographic.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

It is grown men (mostly) voting in this poll right?

It was the grown men of pinside that came up with all those choices in the first place. lol.

#113 7 years ago

It is funny. I am passionate about this topic because I want pinball to grow into the next generation. That is why I love the HP theme. Are there other themes I personally may like a little better, yes. But HP will cross a lot of generations and maybe even hook in some non-pinball players. We need this to sustain the hobby.

#114 7 years ago

Of the current list of rumored titles, I like Toy Story the most. But what I'd like to see more than anything is ET

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 10.57.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-11-02 at 10.57.46 AM (resized).png

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Still, I would have thought Blade Runner would have much greater appeal to this small demographic.

I voted for Blade Runner, but I'm actually surprised that it has done as well as it has. It's kind of a cult movie that movie buffs love, but there's not a huge public affection for the film in general. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Either way, glad to see it get as much love here as it is.

Personally I agree with not getting the love for Harry Potter. I've never read the books, but after watching the first two films I was left scratching my head as to why there was so much love for the films. And people still want a HP pin.

#116 7 years ago

If the poll was structured to allow multiple choices the poll would likely end up different. I am interested in multiple of these, but not interested in 2 of the current top 3 (HP and BR).

#117 7 years ago

World of Warcraft
    NHL
    The Wall
    Akira
    Electronica-based music pin.
    Minecraft pin ( not so much me but for my kid)

#118 7 years ago

Anything Looney Tunes Esp Roadrunner ...meep meep! or Mad Max

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

If the poll was structured to allow multiple choices the poll would likely end up different.

Which is exactly why I didn't allow for more than one choice.

I wanted to know what people wanted to see the most.

#120 7 years ago

My inner child still hopes for some Scooby Doo action. That said, I think all of the poll choices would sell well.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I voted for Blade Runner, but I'm actually surprised that it has done as well as it has. It's kind of a cult movie that movie buffs love, but there's not a huge public affection for the film in general. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Either way, glad to see it get as much love here as it is.
    Personally I agree with not getting the love for Harry Potter. I've never read the books, but after watching the first two films I was left scratching my head as to why there was so much love for the films. And people still want a HP pin.

Looking at the poll results to date, I see three basic takeaways from a marketing perspective:

1) Lots of people want a Harry Potter pin (i.e., the Holy Grail of pinball licensing), but it is likely not available, because J.K. Rowling controls the IP, and she considers pinball "seedy". Even Roger Sharpe has tried to get the Harry Potter license, but failed.

2) Of the remaining licenses, several are already rumored to be in the production queue with existing pinball manufacturers (e.g., Toy Story, Pulp Fiction, Iron Maiden, Star Wars).

3) To the best of my knowledge, NO COMPANY is working on a Blade Runner pin, yet it is running just behind Harry Potter (unobtainium), virtually neck-and-neck with Star Wars (in queue), and AHEAD of Toy Story (in queue)!

IMO, Blade Runner is the biggest surprise from this poll.

Hopefully one of the manufacturers is listening.

#122 7 years ago

A blade runner pinball machine would need slow moving two hour games. Then it would be just like the movie.

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Harry Potter is the holy grail of pinball licensing, but it's not gonna happen as long as JK Rowling is still alive.

Sounds like one of the more unhinged Potter nerds simply needs to step up.

#124 7 years ago

Harry potter would be doa for me. I like the blade runner or pulp fiction idea, what about porkys??

IMG_0635 (resized).JPGIMG_0635 (resized).JPG

#125 7 years ago

Trailer Park Boys--it just needs to get made.
    2nd-Rocky Horror Picture Show--SO much material, you could make 3 different pins.

#126 7 years ago

Star Wars would be fantastic. I can't believe that Stern nor JJP chased that theme down in the past 2-3 years to do it right. After that, Led Zeppelin.

Here are my "I'll name them, but I know they'll never get made" picks.

- Space Ghost
    - Back to the Future Trilogy
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NOT the Michael Bay version)
    - Deadpool
    - Metroid, Super Mario, or Legend of Zelda
    - Western-themed game, if it has to be licensed, Red Dead Redemption
    - No One Lives Forever

And in my "they should remake this game" list:

- Kingpin (Capcom)

#127 7 years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing this:
    Also +1 for Heavy Metal

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A blade runner pinball machine would need slow moving two hour games. Then it would be just like the movie.

It's no slower than BSD, and that theme works just fine for pinball.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It's no slower than BSD, and that theme works just fine for pinball.

Agreed. Blade Runner could be really cool.

#130 7 years ago

They could make good use of that new LCD screen.

BR (resized).jpgBR (resized).jpg

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Star Wars would be fantastic. I can't believe that Stern nor JJP chased that theme down in the past 2-3 years to do it right. After that, Led Zeppelin.
    Here are my "I'll name them, but I know they'll never get made" picks.
    - Space Ghost
    - Back to the Future Trilogy
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NOT the Michael Bay version)
    - Deadpool
    - Metroid, Super Mario, or Legend of Zelda
    - Western-themed game, if it has to be licensed, Red Dead Redemption
    - No One Lives Forever
    And in my "they should remake this game" list:
    - Kingpin (Capcom)

I can't believe Mario has not been remade. It would be a huge seller on the theme alone and if the game were great it would be a money machine (like Stern needs help right now...).

#132 7 years ago

I'll play any game they come up with. I've never been too picky unless it's one I'm looking to buy.

Why don't we just let the pinball makers go back to deciding what games to make. Maybe the less input pinside has the better.

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll play any game they come up with. I've never been too picky unless it's one I'm looking to buy.
    Why don't we just let the pinball makers go back to deciding what games to make. Maybe the less input pinside has the better.

It would be interesting to know what kind of market research Stern and the other pinball companies do in order to determine what the next theme will be.

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It would be interesting to know what kind of market research Stern and the other pinball companies do in order to determine what the next theme will be.

They don't have to spend a dime on research anymore. Just skim pinside for the next speculation thread. Give the people what they want. Unfortunately pinside doesn't speak for all the people.

If they had used pinside as a guide in the past, we may have never seen AC/DC, Tron, or even Big Buck Hunter for that matter,to name a few.

#135 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They don't have to spend a dime on research anymore. Just skim pinside for the next speculation thread. Give the people what they want. Unfortunately pinside doesn't speak for all the people.
    If they had used pinside as a guide in the past, we may have never seen AC/DC, Tron, or even Big Buck Hunter to name a few.

I remember lots of people wanting both AC/DC and Tron as a theme for a pin. BBH? Not so much. But I have no problem with BBH as a theme myself.

#136 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If they had used pinside as a guide in the past, we may have never seen AC/DC, Tron, or even Big Buck Hunter for that matter,to name a few.

We would have definitely seen Tron and AC/DC...may have been the OG Tron, but it was high on pinsider's want lists.

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

We would have definitely seen Tron and AC/DC...may have been the OG Tron, but it was high on pinsider's want lists.

I was trying to find a thread requesting either of those before the games were announced but came up short. Maybe you can link them?

#138 7 years ago

Found one! lol
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pinball-machine-yes-or-no

And another. One and a half pages... wow... and probably after it was leaked.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron

#139 7 years ago

Rush pin of the band would likely do it for me. The movie...uh no.

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Rush pin of the band would likely do it for me.

There's already a party going on just for you. Join the masses....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-pinball

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-rush-be-the-next-music-pin

#141 7 years ago

Kung Fury! That movie's got it all!

#142 7 years ago

I would suggest 2 themes that were done before (poorly) and deserve to be done right

Looney Tunes: With LCD implementation, think of all the cartoons that could be accessed for ideas & material. Endless possibilities. Modes based on specific classic cartoons. Imagine what David Theil could do with this sound archive! Has popular nostalgia & appeals to both young & old. Hell you could make a pin based on the "Rabbit Season" trilogy alone.

Godzilla King of Monster Island: I'm talking 70's Toho studios films here, not that awful 1998 disgrace. Here's the disaster game you've always wanted. Godzilla destroyer of worlds.... first fighting the army & laying waste to cities, then battling all the classic monsters like Mothra, Mechagodzilla etc to become the Savior of Tokyo. The modes & design practically writes itself. Look at the recent IGT slot machine for frame of reference, and the US/Japan reboot movies have helped keep this theme popular today.

And I'll throw in my usual list of most desirable:
    1) James Bond (Every Bond actor vs their most memorable villians)
    2) Planet of the Apes (60's version, hand drawn artwork)
    3) Mad Max (based on the new fims)
    4) Ash vs Evil Dead (best horror comedy theme of all time....sorry Elvira)

#143 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So true. Watched it recently. So slow. Liked it much better when it first came out...never thought I could hate Harrison Ford in anything but that movie made me hate him.

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

I would love to see a series of pins made; one for each major war our country has fought including the Civil War, World War 1, World War 2, Korea, and Vietnam. If I had to pick just one it would be WW2. There's all sorts of material to tell the story of that war as you progress through the modes, and have the major battles of the war be the different modes. Lots of cool toys, artwork, and audio/video clips could be incorporated. Plus no licensing fees! Think about it.

I keep saying this as well look how successful war games have been for pc, arcade and console. Axis and Allies anyone?

#145 7 years ago

GODZILLA, KING Of THE MONSTERS

#146 7 years ago

Voted Harry Potter

I also think the muppets has potential.

Both great themes and potential.

That said, I am priced out but would love to see either on location.

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

So true. Watched it recently. So slow. Liked it much better when it first came out...never thought I could hate Harrison Ford in anything but that movie made me hate him.

Really? I friken love that movie.... now and when l was a teen. It's funny because I remember all my friends going "what the fuck did we just watch?" And I was thinking "that was a cool ass movie!"

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Really? I friken love that movie.... now and when l was a teen. It's funny because I remember all my friends going "what the fuck did we just watch?" And I was thinking "that was a cool ass movie!"

Like I said in an earlier post, the majority of movie buffs are going to love Blade Runner for numerous reasons. People who were expecting Blade Runner to be more like Star Wars were going to be disappointed.

American Film Institute ranked Blade Runner as the 6th best SciFi film ever made.

I think they rated it too low.

#149 7 years ago

The love for Blade Runner shows a lot of crossover between pinheads and movie buffs. Good to know

Keep pumping out the ideas, I truly believe Pinside now has to ability to will pins into existence. (kind of like in Forbidden Planet)

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Like I said in an earlier post, the majority of movie buffs are going to love Blade Runner for numerous reasons. People who were expecting Blade Runner to be more like Star Wars were going to be disappointed.
    American Film Institute ranked Blade Runner as the 6th best SciFi film ever made.
    I think they rated it too low.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blade_runner
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blade_runner_1982

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-theme-would-you-like-to-see-most/page/3?hl=tpoeckh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.