• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3150[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_3149[1] (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Anyone know what these are? Found in a Bally Bongo.

IMG_3149[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3149[1] (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

Ha ha, they look like fuses made out of capacitors. Crazy. Get rid of them...... In My opinion. Add to the list of 1001 dumb things people have done to pinball machines. Thanks for sharing.

#3 4 years ago

or maybe a diode?

#4 4 years ago

I'm not sure if that's what they are, but I'm pretty sure I know the result. These two wires had almost all of the cloth insulation burned off. They were lucky they didn't burn their house down.

IMG_3150[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3150[1] (resized).JPG
#5 4 years ago

They are thermal fuses. Blow when temperature reached. Used in electric heaters or electric griddles.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from BigWilly_Arcade:

They are thermal fuses. Blow when temperature reached. Used in electric heaters or electric griddles.

I read that as electric girdles. Which certainly would need fuses.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from BigWilly_Arcade:

Blow when temperature reached

Those wires must have been red hot, maybe the thermal fuses actually saved the games after all.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I read that as electric girdles. Which certainly would need fuses.

Haha, must be the eyes, I did the same thing!!

#9 4 years ago

Wondering why they used these instead of fuses in the first place. Did you get this to work after replacing the fuses?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Wondering why they used these instead of fuses in the first place.

The answer 99% of the time as to why, is "they were idiots". (only half kidding)

Likely, they work in some industry/trade where what they used were commonplace there, so they figured let's use them here in some completely unrelated use.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Wondering why they used these instead of fuses in the first place. Did you get this to work after replacing the fuses?

Must have been out of bolts...

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Did you get this to work after replacing the fuses?

Not yet, still trying to track down what caused the short in the first place. I just ordered a schematic. Difficult to trouble shoot without it.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Must have been out of bolts...

or .22 shells

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-the-what and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.