(Topic ID: 18041)

What the hell is this thing?!

By SpookyCharlie

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bulbs_flash.gif
    bridgehack_002.jpg
    100_7602.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Ok... found this in the bottom of a Whitewater. Makes no sense at all. Not even wired to anything else! Any ideas???

100_7602.JPG100_7602.JPG

#2 11 years ago

That's a thingamajiggy. Don't see too many thingamajiggies anymore...

It looks like someone tried a custom idea for a colling system for the 5v bridge on the driver board, likely due to resets, and simply not understanding what the reall common problems are. Are there any obvious hacks on the driver board around the two bridges with the heatsink?

#3 11 years ago

It's a flux capacitor. Do not hit both flippers at the exact moment a ball is coming down the long left ramp really fast!

#4 11 years ago

Looks like it isn't connected to anything so just get it out of there.

#5 11 years ago

I was thinking the same, not connected, just remove it. I have a dual battery isolator for my boat, looks identical

#6 11 years ago

No hacks to the board... they are clean as can be. Flux capacitor was my guess as well!

Wasn't worried about removing it at all, just can't for the life of me figure out why it was ever put there in the first place. Lol...

#7 11 years ago

My guess is that it is just sitting there for storage. Maybe it was an attempt at something.. or used in another pin. Some sort of cooling issue, as it's a heat sink (i think)

I'd just pull it out.

#8 11 years ago

Do the connectors work with anything else, like maybe that power supply there? It looks like someone made something to experiment with. If it is working, I wouldn't put it back in even to experiment with.

If it doesn't work anywhere, it might be like a lot of my machines where I'll sometimes put random parts in their bottoms to hold them, which means that for instance, my VND has my supply of drop targets in it... even though it has none in the game itself. Maybe someone made this for some real use elsewhere and then just put it there and forgot about it.

#9 11 years ago

Well it did get one screw to the bottom of the cabinet, but I sure didn't see any plugs that would mix with the plugs on this bridged heat sink of atomic mystery Dan.

#10 11 years ago

Looks like someone's idea of bridges with a super heat sink.
    Goes in the wheelie bin along with other great ideas like this.

bridgehack_002.jpgbridgehack_002.jpg

#11 11 years ago

It's a Multiplicitive Ultrafonic Clystron Frequency Monitor. Do NOT remove!

Bulbs_flash.gifBulbs_flash.gif

#12 11 years ago

Most machines I find have some sort of pre-internet on the fly hack that someone came up with. With the info out there today, it's easy to shake your head, but back in the day, before wide internet use, and in the field dealing with an issue, it is interesting to see the logic people use to solve some of the problems.

Obviously someone went to a lot of thought with this one, as the wires connecting a bridge (expecially two) isn't simple, and they even used proper connetors (hell, most people still don't do that today!). I'm guessing it didn't solve the resetting problem, and was quickly disconnected. The fact that it is screwed to where it is now is what is flooring me.... there is nothing to rectify straight from the transformer I don't believe.

Interesting though

#13 11 years ago

Oh that is pretty trace lifter...

It's going on the wall by my work area. This much I know. Someday, I'm gonna find a use for it... if I only had a nickel for every time I said that huh?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Someday, I'm gonna find a use for it... if I only had a nickel for every time I said that huh?

it would make a lovely soap dish, or a magazine rack..

gotta think outside the box.

-jon

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

-jon

LOL!

I used to save crap like this, you end up with so much junk you can't find it if you did need it.
    Took me a long time to finally realize the trash can is your friend.
    Same with the wife's crap, "is there room for this in your shop?"
    "Sure honey, not a problem."
    I have to walk past the trash can on my way to the shop, she actually thinks all that crap is in my shop.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

<P>It's a flux capacitor. Do not hit both flippers at the exact moment a ball is coming down the long left ramp really fast! </P>

Bad things will only happen if the ball is travelling at 88 miles per hour when you hit both flippers...then you will see some serious s**t!

#17 11 years ago

It looks like it could plug into the 9 pin connector between the xformer and the power driver board. Perhaps being used to somehow rectify the GI voltages for some purpose? I know I saw on Clay's guide a method to use *1* BR on DE games to lower GI voltages.. but if it's not connected to anything, remove the screw and pull the monstrosity out!

#18 11 years ago

Its an reimport thing...once back in the states we remove and repair boards as needed.
    My Guess its from South America

#19 11 years ago

Nope... it's a U.S. game. Unless it was exported to somewhere else then re-imported back to the states.

I'll let you guys know how the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance goes.

#20 11 years ago

I can't believe nobody else is concerned this guy found a human hand in the bottom of his Whitewater (which unlike the other thingy, does appear to be wired to something!)

#21 11 years ago

White Walkers!

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Cigar ashtray!

#23 11 years ago

I wonder if that powers a self licking ice cream cone?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-the-hell-is-this-thing?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.