(Topic ID: 84990)

What the hec is it with you people and this hobby?

By Pinfidel

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WeirParty.jpg
    WeirParty_2.jpg
    lemur-group-hug.jpg
    tropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean.jpg
    man hug.jpg
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Let's not start THIS again....

What's more fun, Hobbit or Mustang?

hehehe...

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Let's not start THIS again....

Edited.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

What's more fun, Hobbit or Mustang?
    hehehe...

Let the games begin! LOL

#54 10 years ago

MUSTANG LE!!!

#55 10 years ago

Don't make me start with boobs!!

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

We don't love each other THAT much!
    ...but I JUST donated anyway!

Me to just donated, lets keep it rolling!

#57 10 years ago

+1 donation. Been in the hobby for only six months and I'm constantly amazed are how helpful and genuinely friendly people are. From the people I've bought machines from to the people here on Pinside. Great community making it a great hobby.

#58 10 years ago

Great thread. I wholeheartedly agree with this, I've met some great people on here, and got nothing but enthusiastic advice and help. This is truly an amazing group on here. Donating now!

#59 10 years ago

Hmmm, I had donated earlier today before I saw this thread, good karma going on right now!

The most dangerous/fun thing about this great hobby though is how fast those pins seem to find their way into your house.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Hmmm, I had donated earlier today before I saw this thread, good karma going on right now!
    The most dangerous/fun thing about this great hobby though is how fast those pins seem to find their way into your house.

Oh boy Iceman, the savings account and space in the house is dwindling fast.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Oh boy Iceman, the savings account and space in the house is dwindling fast.

I hear you Pinfidel! Just checked out your game room pics, you've got plenty of room for more, the pool table and drum set might have to go though

I just converted my 3 car garage into a game room. It's been great, got tired of moving pins up stairs to that game room. My biggest problem now is that I have too much space, don't know how to stop the insanity!

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I hear you Pinfidel! Just checked out your game room pics, you've got plenty of room for more, the pool table and drum set might have to go though
    I just converted my 3 car garage into a game room. It's been great, got tired of moving pins up stairs to that game room. My biggest problem now is that I have too much space, don't know how to stop the insanity!

The pool table is already gone. The drum set was bought and moved in when I took the PT down. So, the room has 2 pins in it now along with my drum set, and my wife's workout equipment. It's a multi-use room. I need a bigger house. It's maddening!

#63 10 years ago

Great post! I've also met a lot of great people through Pinside and it's been a lot of fun. I've helped some pinsiders with various things and others have helped me out and that's a win win in my book.

#64 10 years ago

Pinside has it's moments, but it's as good as it gets in terms of an online community. Although, I keep having to look carefully over my shoulder making sure the JJP thread posters aren't going to jump out and scare me.

#65 10 years ago

Pinfidel, about 10 years ago, I jacked my house up 12' in the air and put a new floor for a game room under it and made a 3 car garage across the front so I wouldn't have to move games up the stairs. I had a web site documenting it a long time ago. started with 1300 sq. ft. now have over 3700 sq. ft. I had plenty of room for my collection .... so my daughters families moved back in. Now there's no room, it never ends. I'll see if I can dig up some old pics of the place being worked on.

Steve

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I jacked my house up 12' in the air and put a new floor for a game room

Now that is Pin renovating! Wow! Now with your girls back, you might have to go up a another level bro. LOL

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

Pinside has it's moments, but it's as good as it gets in terms of an online community. Although, I keep having to look carefully over my shoulder making sure the JJP thread posters aren't going to jump out and scare me.

Thank God for JJP. They are doing some great things and will only get better going forward. Every company has issues and problems. Especially at start up. They will get better and better and most importantly, keep pushing out awesome pins for us all to enjoy and help keep this hobby not just alive, but alive and well. Root for them and stay in their corner bro. Only good things can come from that.

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I jacked my house up 12' in the air

12 FEET IN THE AIR???

#69 10 years ago

It feels like all these guys have all the fun... I have barely any pinball machines, live in a town where next-to-no people know about pinball, and can never attend events.

#70 10 years ago

I echo the above sentiments. I feel so lucky to be part of such an enthusiastic and generous community.

It's been said before, there are threads for days here about price bashing, machine hyping, speculation, blah blah blah...

BUT, when you need some advice or assistance, I've NEVER waited longer than a few minutes for tech help or support.

This is a really great hobby filled with cool people doing something they love.

I donated right after I joined. (Having received some amazing support on a STTNG issue), and just a few days ago some other post reminded me what a great community this is, so I donated again!

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

It feels like all these guys have all the fun... I have barely any pinball machines, live in a town where next-to-no people know about pinball, and can never attend events.

That's why I'm flying to Dallas this weekend!!

I say this with a smile, but there isn't a single person in any of the continental States that has a thing to complain about!! Try finding machines up in Canada, and then paying taxes, shipping, and duty to get them over the border!! You guys live in the bountiful home of pinball. They are everywhere, all the time!

I can't wait for TPF this weekend. I'm going to try to sneak a few pins back in my carry-on luggage!

#72 10 years ago

There are some good folks here to be sure. I've met toddsolus and jfh in person, and have had wonderful dealings with stack15 and pinmister and others. I suspect the rest of the folks here are OK too

#73 10 years ago

Loving it! I'm glad that you've had a great experience in the hobby so far! If you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, you're probably close to Iowa. Stop by for a cold drink and some hot action on the pins. My door is always open.
    I am convinced that a Pinsider could travel coast to coast and never set foot in a motel room if they didn't want to. Pinsiders are always eager to offer what they have to fellow Pinsiders. In fact, I'm spending the weekend with a fellow Pinsider who lives 2.5 hours away from me. We are cleaning and waxing his games and just giving them a quick tune-up. I love this hobby and the people who are in it! BigB

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

You should've came out with us up to PWA's. Maybe we'll do it again soon and get some more locals to meet up and hang out. Total blast yesterday and didn't want to leave.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I'm going to try to sneak a few pins back in my carry-on luggage!

LMAO Maybe you can fit it into your carry on?

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

I am convinced that a Pinsider could travel coast to coast and never set foot in a motel room if they didn't want to. Pinsiders are always eager to offer what they have to fellow Pinsiders.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's just something with Pinsiders and Pinball. I'm truly overwhelmed by the graciousness and generosity of the men and women on here. Truly amazing and I'm truly grateful to you all.

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

tropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean.... 28 KB

Can't believe they cut off the "HUH??" at the end though.

#78 10 years ago

A nice bunch, for sure.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

That's sad. But you have friends here.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I wouldn't be surprised. It's just something with Pinsiders and Pinball. I'm truly overwhelmed by the graciousness and generosity of the men and women on here. Truly amazing and I'm truly grateful to you all.

I made a similar post before I changed my name here on pinside. Continue to be amazed by all the awesome people.

Went to a small monthly tourney last wednesday in Milwaukee. As I was getting my drink I heard a guy say to his girl "Only 3 pinball machines!?!?". I turned and said "Yea, but one of them is MM", he said, "We drove 40 minuets after seeing a picture on facebook of a WHOLE LINE of machines!!". I didn't know what picture he was talking about so I said "The bar 5 blocks down has 5 machines and there are about 50 machines in a 10 block radius. But I'd stay here if I was you because the people here are awesome, which is why I drive an hour each way every month to come here. They stormed out. First sour pusses I've seen in ages. Turned out the pic on facebook was just a stock pinball image. The poster DID NOT intend to mislead anyone, just picked a cool pinball photo for background.

#81 10 years ago

Folks heading down I-85 are always welcome at our place. We're not all that far from I-95, either.

Part of it has to be the fact that most of us have few if any local friends and/or coworkers who understand much less share our fascination with pinball. Consequently, it is refreshing and encouraging to find people through sites like Pinside who share that interest. Around here (Pinside, that is), I am comparatively sane!

Group hug...
    lemur-group-hug.jpglemur-group-hug.jpg

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

But when it comes to other people who are into the hobby, I just feel a connection with them. Same with Iron Maiden fans.

So this means we are the best friends, soulmates, in the world without knowing each other

Seriously, great thread Pinfidel. Have not been around for so long but as soon you come in this hobby you can clearly see there is something different about this place. With all these negative vibes in the world at the beginning you start asking yourself : what kind of cult did I get myself in ? Lol

People keep saying they have friends in other hobbies just like here but that can't be true. For so many of us that place is unique. Great if some people have inner magnetisism and can make great friends anywhere but it's not the case for all of us.

Some people here are like mad scientists and you know what they say about genius being very close to insanity. I guess this is why a lot of people are not here for the $$$$$ but for the passion.

Now I feel insanity growing again in me, where is Robin so I can make a donation.

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

there are about 50 machines in a 10 block radius. But I'd stay here if I was you because the people here are awesome

Okay, so the picture was a generic picture. They had some nice games there, and 50 within a few blocks of eachother. Be happy and just bar hop and have fun, right?

Eh, some people just don't get it.

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Around here (Pinside, that is), I am comparatively sane!
    Group hug...

Thumbs up and +1. It's like group therapy here.

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

So this means we are the best friends, soulmates, in the world without knowing each other

Oh Oh...don't tell the wife and kids Chris, you'll let our inner circle secret out!

#86 10 years ago

Oh the friends I have made and the collections I have seen in the past 10 Months in WI/MN! Great Post, like Whysnow says if in Wisco look us up we always have enough Beer/Booze, I mean pinball.

#87 10 years ago

I echo the OP. I just bought two pins, my first ones, and they are due to arrive this Tuesday. To say I am excited would be a gross understatement. The help I have received from you posters and those sellers has been amazing. If anyone is in Memphis, give me a shout.

#88 10 years ago

I love this hobby. If you have local people around you, it is just win, win, and more win.

My Saturday night lastnight, and this was when it had REALLY died down. When we first got there, there was easily 25-30 people there:

WeirParty.jpgWeirParty.jpg

WeirParty_2.jpgWeirParty_2.jpg

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

I have barely any pinball machines,

There are people here who have no machines.

You have a good start. I hope it keeps growing for you and you can meet more people and attend a show or three.

LTG : )™

#90 10 years ago

On Topic:

Yes, the folks that participate in the hobby,,, and most importantly pinside.com (because we would never know about each other without this outlet to express ourselves.)... Are great people.

Now having said that, I, am like you, and I don't quite get it...... Why people would help me without ever knowing me, why folks would do for me more than I would ever consider doing for someone else that I did not know....

While I enjoy this forum, this hobby and the great people on here....... I would love to express and share my experience participating in this hobby and all the great people I have met. I would love to say this is who 'WE' are.....

But I haven't earned the 'WE' part yet. At least in my own thoughts. I am still learning. Not just pinball but how a GREAT community works....

Hope you have a great experience here on pinside and the pinball community as I have!

#91 10 years ago

This all reminds me.....the Jersey Gang haven't had a party in a while!

#92 10 years ago

I have been in this hobby right at a year now as documented in this thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-year-experience-as-a-pinheadfun-had-and-lessons-learned-long

I received amazing help and advice along the way. I've received tech help not just through posts by by phone. I've met a good buddy here locally who I talk to probably every couple of days. Our paths of life are in very different stages and I would not have met him without the pinball hobby. Now I get to see texts of his brand new baby daughter

Other than that guy (who I actually met via CL and not pinside, though he is a pinsider also) I have never met any of you. I almost stopped by Blondetall's house for some BBQ and pins on the way home from my one and only overnight pin-trip last summer but time just got away from me and it never happened. Similarly, I've tried 2-3 times to head up to doughslingers but other obligations have gotten in the way.

I'm really hoping to have a pin-party this summer when my game room is completed.

Oh, and very early on I decided to do the monthly pinside donation. So, every month I get a little smile on my face when my PayPal receipt comes through.

Thank you for this thread. I have seemed to notice an increased negativity around here so this has been awesome! God bless you and your family.

Here's to you (and all of us) seeing our initials on those little DMDs!

#93 10 years ago

Souns like you have had a great experience thus far. Glad you love our hobby. There really is no middle ground. There are great people and Dbags. Stay away from CL dealings and this hobby is much kinder IMO.

Have fun be safe and play pinball

#94 10 years ago

I have met some of the best people being in this hobby too. Kinda funny how your pinside name is seemingly "anti-friendly" but you can tell that's not true by just looking at your 2.5 mil karma in 2 months lol!

#95 10 years ago

I've been sick this weekend and barely on Pinside, so I saw this thread and the high number of posts and got prepared for trouble. Nice surprise.

I've met a few people here in "real life" and they've all been great. I've gotten pins from 3 guys here that were all great honest sellers, and met up with Oldpinguy while on vacation in Florida for pins, LEDs, and BBQ.

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I almost stopped by Blondetall's house for some BBQ and pins on the way home from my one and only overnight pin-trip last summer but time just got away from me and it never happened.

What is it with me and pins and BBQ? lol If I ever get Predator, we'll have to have a little pin gathering at my house. With BBQ of course.

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from tmac:

we always have enough Beer/Booze, I mean pinball.

HAHAHAHAAAAA!!! LMAO!!!

Quoted from Grinder901:

I echo the OP. I just bought two pins, my first ones, and they are due to arrive this Tuesday. To say I am excited would be a gross understatement. The help I have received from you posters and those sellers has been amazing. If anyone is in Memphis, give me a shout.

Congrats! That's awesome! This hobby is the most addicting thing. Instead of being downstairs playing pinball, I'm online talking to other pinheads and looking for other machines to buy. It's crazy, and I LOVE IT!

Quoted from NPO:

I love this hobby. If you have local people around you, it is just win, win, and more win.

Amen to that. I'm hoping that the few guys near me can find some other collectors around so maybe we can do bounce around get togethers. One weekend at my house. Next at someone else's and so on. 25-30 people...That's just awesome!

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There are people here who have no machines.
    You have a good start. I hope it keeps growing for you and you can meet more people and attend a show or three.
    LTG : )™

Lloyd, we have never talked or anything, but I just gotta give you a huge fist bump, handshake and man hug. When it comes to Pinsiders' technical problems, no one is more helpful than you brothah. I'd just like to personally thank you for all the wisdom, knowledge, tips and help that you have so kindly and graciously passed along to so many people.

You've helped me a couple times too, because I searched stuff and threads popped up with plenty of helpful posts by you. I can only imagine how many others have done the same.

Thanks for all the time and help you always give to people. God bless you always my friend. You're a tremendous asset to Pinside and this hobby. Cheers!

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from Geremy13:

I don't quite get it...... Why people would help me without ever knowing me, why folks would do for me more than I would ever consider doing for someone else that I did not know....

I hear ya man. The kindness of the men and women on here simply blows me away. I mean, helping a person out with some tips and info is just so nice. But look at all the people who have extended open invitations to ANYONE in their area. That's just doesn't compute. LOL I have always been like that and have helped many people out in many different ways. But that's not the way of the World today. Today, your seal your house up like a fortress and only a select few family and friends ever see inside your home and get to know the real you. HERE, and in this hobby, the windows, doors, fridge, game room, the spare bedroom, EVERYTHING is wide open to anyone who simply says, Hey, I like pinball. This kindness from everyone on here is the most wonderful thing to see on a daily basis. I love everyone who has extended themselves like that to others. Does it get any better?

#99 10 years ago

(points to Pinfidel) I'll have what he's having.

#100 10 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I received amazing help and advice along the way. I've received tech help not just through posts by by phone. I've met a good buddy here locally who I talk to probably every couple of days. Our paths of life are in very different stages and I would not have met him without the pinball hobby. Now I get to see texts of his brand new baby daughter

AMAZING post VP. So very well said. God bless you as well my friend. Maybe someday we'll be hanging out together. My wife and I have actually been looking in to retiring down in the Knoxville area, hopefully in a couple years. We'll see. How far is that from you?

Good for you with the donations. I plan on doing pretty much the same. Robin and the Mods are so cool and work so hard keeping this site up and running perfectly. No other site even compares IMHO. And with all the daily traffic in here, there are no advertisements. Blind links. hang-ups or other crap to slow you down or aggravate you. I'm sure if they wanted, some good money could be made off this site. But it just goes to show you, the kindness and generosity of everyone here starts at the top and goes right on down.

TY you to all of you who work so hard to keep this site hassle and bug free and the best site on the net.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-the-hec-is-it-with-you-people-and-this-hobby/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.