(Topic ID: 84990)

What the hec is it with you people and this hobby?

By Pinfidel

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WeirParty.jpg
    WeirParty_2.jpg
    lemur-group-hug.jpg
    tropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean.jpg
    man hug.jpg
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Let me just preface this thread by saying that I have been an athlete my whole life. I was actively playing sports up until about 4 years ago after seriously messing up my back at work. But in all that time and with all the teams I've played on or been a part of across many different sports, even with all the closeness and camaraderie that only comes from being on a team. All the fun and heartache of winning and losing championships together and everything. Those were some of the best times of my life. But with the hundreds of people I've met, I've probably been over 5 - 10 people's houses for get togethers and no one has ever done anything for me away from the field, court or ice.

That said, in only 2 months of being in this hobby, (a hobby where you can only basically get to know a person through a PM or an occasional phone call and maybe a meet & greet or benefit) I have met the BEST & NICEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!

In the short time I've been on Pinside, (2 months) I have had MULTIPLE people invite me to their homes from all over the country! (Seriously?) I have incredible people (Rock914 and dgoett just to name a recent few) wanting to give me stuff and have given me stuff that I beg them to take money for. They won't.

I've had more people than I could even begin to remember offer me all kinds of help, tips and encouragement. videorob (who I had never talked to or PM'd) hit me up and invite me to his home to check out his V-Pin because he had heard that I was interested in seeing one and he's close by.

Get this one, I asked Imeh for some VA vacation info. I had never even seen or talked with him before. I just PM'd him out of the blue when I saw a post he made I a thread and noticed that his location was in VA Beech. What does he do? Gives me a bunch of great ideas and advice but then he also Invites me over for the day with my family to hang out and play some pinball if we do in fact go down there. THEN, (as if that weren't enough) he invites me out on his boat for another day of deep sea fishing! YOU KIDDING ME!? Who does this stuff?

I bought an AMAZING custom NASCAR pin off of Prowlerman99 a couple weeks ago. The vacation I was talking to Imeh about was to work around picking up the NASCAR Pin instead of paying $500 for delivery. Well. Prowler not only invites me and my family to his home to play some pinball, but also to take us out for the day to a bunch of historic scenic areas that next to no one knows about. What!? You want to take my family out and show us all these amazing historical sites? Unbelievable!

Yesterday I met up with MinusWorlds at the Wizard arcade in Pelham. Had a total Blast! AWESOME guy. Hilarious, down to Earth and a ton of fun. We had a GREAT time hanging out. THEN, on the drive home, Dannunz texts me..."Sorry I couldn't make it up to the Wizard arcade with you guys today buddy. Have a good time?" My response..."TOTAL BLAST! Driving home now. The only way it could've been better was if you were there too bro." His reply... "Why don't you come on over and hang out and play some pinball for a while?" You believe this!? So I go over to see his AMAZING pin line-up (consider me jealous. LOL) and had a ball talking with him and playing for awhile. I mean, what other group of hobbyist's does this? Now get this...THEN he invites me to go with him to the Allentown Pin-Fest. AND if I wanted, he'll get my NASCAR machine from Prowler (if he's going to Allentown as well) and take it back up to me. WHAT!!!??? WHO DOES THESE THINGS!?

I've been driving poor tjc02002 nuts with Baby PacMan info. He's been way to kind and an amazing help to me with that. He's even offered to do a cap kit on the monitor on it for me. Just mail it down to me he says. I'll get it done right up and mail it right back. Incredible!

All in all, I'm just sincerely blown away by all of you. And this was only some of the stories of the awesome Pinside family I have PM'd with.

I'm beyond convinced that there is NO other hobby in the World where there just seems to be this thing where, if you're into pinball, you are a member of this giant family. And no matter where you're from or what you do, you are welcomed like a brother or sister into someone's home (who you've never met) and you're treated like gold. God I love this hobby and love all of you!

I just want to say thanks to every single person who has reached out to me and been so kind. Thanks for all the help and advice. Thanks for the tips, encouragement and well wishes. Thanks for the invites and for talking and meeting up. I love all you guys. You're the best friends and family a hobbyist could ever hope for. Please always know that if there is EVER anything I can do to help any one of you out with, I'm just a PM away.

God bless always, good luck and have a wonderful day.

Derek.

#2 10 years ago

Welcome to the coolest addiction ever! And if your ever down in the Orlando,, Tampa area let me know .

#3 10 years ago

Yeah, we're a strange bunch.

#4 10 years ago

I've been met with nothing but love and affection from pinside. It's my new home and I consider people here family

#5 10 years ago

I love you Kaneda. Let's hug and feel the fat! LMAO!

#6 10 years ago

Well I think because until recently this was a small community and the only way to get parts and stuff was thru connections. If you were a D#$% you probably had a hard time of things.

#7 10 years ago

The nerve of some people, at least there was no mention of you hurting your back again. Good post Pinfidel, if you ever make it out to the West Coast .....

Steve

#8 10 years ago

And yet more invites around the country to come on over if I'm in the area.

You guys are just amazing! Thanks to you all. Of course the reverse is the same. If you're ever out by me...

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I have met the BEST & NICEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!

Go to the JJP Thread....

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I love you Kaneda. Let's hug and feel the fat! LMAO!

Mind if I squeeze in there too?

#11 10 years ago

man hug.jpgman hug.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Your post put a smile on my face, we are a wild and crazy bunch aren't we. If you ever find yourself in MN look me up, come on over and play some pin and have a beer.

#13 10 years ago

I have to chime in on this subject and give praise to all the great pinball guys in the St. Louis area that I have meet and spoken to over the last 14 years. Many of them are generous, to a fault, with their time and knowledge of pinball. Willingly helping the less inexperienced pinheads with technical info, parts and supply info, chats about pinball, etc, etc, etc. If not for many of these very helpful guys a technically challenged individual, such as myself, would never be able to remain in this hobby.
    It would be unfair to mention any names, because I would leave some out, but the locals know who most of them are.
    Now, them arcade guys, they are a whole different breed.

#14 10 years ago

Yeah totally agree and had a blast yesterday too! Can't wait to have a game room big enough to have people over all the time. Right now my GF is the only one in my inner circle that gets it. I have a lot of friends stemming from my roots of video game collecting and found a LOT of similarities here. Couldn't be happier.

#15 10 years ago

if you're ever in Austin, I can recommend some people to hang out with

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

Mind if I squeeze in there too?

Step into the light, ALL are welcome!

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

As long as we all agree that LOTR is the better machine than IM or Tron.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Is there a dress code for this massive hug convention? I feel like frocks are required.

#19 10 years ago

tropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean.jpgtropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean.jpg

#20 10 years ago

You need to attend Pinball Expo near Chicago. Depending on moodiness, you may eperience some of the "notsonice" members of the hobby. Good news is that will be the minority.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

tropic-thunder-what-do-you-mean.... 28 KB

Didn't H. Ross Perot make a blunder using a similar line during his attempt at the US Presidential race?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

This is exactly what i thought when i read it. I figured this was a bitch and moan thread. Pleasantly surprised!

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This is exactly what i thought when i read it. I figured this was a bitch and moan thread. Pleasantly surprised!

This thread is heaven and the JJP thread is hell.

#24 10 years ago

Lol, and isn't that the way chaney carries his gun?

Quoted from MrBally:Didn't H. Ross Perot make a blunder using a similar line during his attempt at the US Presidential race?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

hahaha...

#26 10 years ago

Being from Mass you may want to look into the BPA and the NEACF both New England pin and arcade collectors online forums

#27 10 years ago

Tony Cox's character to Bob Chapeska (John Ritter's Character) from Bad Santa...Who's us people!?

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Lol, and isn't that the way chaney carries his gun?

in texas, that's actually how chaney shoots his gun.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

Being from Mass you may want to look into the BPA and the NEACF both New England pin and arcade collectors online forums

Thanks bro. I am in fact on those sites as well and have talked with a few great guys who are not on here. For the most part, everyone is on here. IMHPO, this is by far and away the best site to hang out in for all things Pinball.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

As long as he doesn't shoot it like Owen Wilson's character in Wedding Crashers. Remember when he shot Vince Vaughn's character in the azz? Wayyyy too funny!

#31 10 years ago

Saw thread title... was like... HERE WE GO AGAIN....

Read thread...

Was like... AWW THIS IS AWESOME!

Thumbs up.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

As long as he doesn't shoot it like Owen Wilson's character in Wedding Crashers. Remember when he shot Vince Vaughn's character in the azz? Wayyyy too funny!

Uh...he already did that, dude.

#33 10 years ago

Remember, he just "accidentally peppered" his shooting pardners....

#34 10 years ago

Wow, lately I've been thinking about how so many negative threads on here or how so many great threads get taken down by negative posts. This thread is great, thanks for the reminder that 99.999 % of the people in this hobby and on Pinside, are really awesome friendly people that are always willing to help!

To the OP

Thank you, just made my day!

P.S. When I first saw the thread title I was thinking, ok here goes another rant! I was wrong! There is a reason so many people have been so nice to you. It started with you, your positive attitude attracts kindness. We should all take this as an example. Karma is real...and if you're ever in the Chicago northwest suburbs stop on by!!!

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah totally agree and had a blast yesterday too! Can't wait to have a game room big enough to have people over all the time. Right now my GF is the only one in my inner circle that gets it. I have a lot of friends stemming from my roots of video game collecting and found a LOT of similarities here. Couldn't be happier.

It was great hooking up with you too yesterday Bro. We definitely have to do that again soon. I think I'll plan a get together over my house once the weather gets better for some Pinside friends to come over. We'll have a nice BBQ and play a little pinball. Notice I said little, as I only have a little collection.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

reason so many people have been so nice to you. It started with you, your positive attitude

without a doubt!

#37 10 years ago

I think it stems from a lot of us being FANATICS about pinball. Most parents on my son's baseball team or daughter's basketball team I can't really relate to or be friends with. Too much small talk and discussions I have no interest in. I'm sure that's their feelings, too.
    But when it comes to other people who are into the hobby, I just feel a connection with them. Same with Iron Maiden fans.
    It brings out the generosity in me I guess. I just gave a couple used translites to a local arcade to hang up on their walls. Gave away a used DMD to a newbie a few months ago. And when I price things to sell, I usually don't try to gouge people cause I believe what comes around goes around.
    Just nice to make friends and acquaintances in my favorite hobby! Glad to know you Pinfidel - I like to help our hobby grow!

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Uh...he already did that, dude.

I know, I remember as well as the whole cover up surrounding it. LOL I meant it as if to say, still shooting it like that.

#39 10 years ago

I'd like to chime in and say it's not just in the US, people on Denmark that aren't on pinside, but are a part of the hobby are just the same! I suppose it's because it's such a niche hobby, and having someone to enjoy it with is amazing.

Great post

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

When I first saw the thread title I was thinking, ok here goes another rant! I was wrong! There is a reason so many people have been so nice to you. It started with you, your positive attitude attracts kindness. We should all take this as an example. Karma is real...and if you're ever in the Chicago northwest suburbs stop on by!!!

Thanks Home. But with all you great people, how can you be anything less but positive and excited. Sure, every family has their proverbial "black sheep", but for the most part, and as you said, 99.99% of the people here are awesome.

It starts right from Robin (who started the site and works it all based off of donations only) right down to the mods and then to all the varying Pinside family members. Everyone here has just been great and I'm just so thankful I found the site. It's what really got me into buying machines. People's generosity with their time, wisdom, knowledge, homes etc just blows me away, every day.

Thanks again for the kind words.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

I've been met with nothing but love and affection from pinside. It's my new home and I consider people here family

Kaneda there is hope for you after all
    Good stuff man!

#42 10 years ago

cheers to great people in this hobby. My favorite part about pinball. If you are ever in Madison area, hit me up! Always happy to hang and play pinball (or during the summer, head out to the cabin for some wake boarding and pontooning)

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I think it stems from a lot of us being FANATICS about pinball. Most parents on my son's baseball team or daughter's basketball team I can't really relate to or be friends with. Too much small talk and discussions I have no interest in. I'm sure that's their feelings, too.
    But when it comes to other people who are into the hobby, I just feel a connection with them. Same with Iron Maiden fans.
    It brings out the generosity in me I guess. I just gave a couple used translites to a local arcade to hang up on their walls. Gave away a used DMD to a newbie a few months ago. And when I price things to sell, I usually don't try to gouge people cause I believe what comes around goes around.
    Just nice to make friends and acquaintances in my favorite hobby! Glad to know you Pinfidel - I like to help our hobby grow!

Well said D. I can vouch and tell you that dgoett wanted to basically give me a $90 OP shooter rod. I said...are you nuts! And had to practically break his arm to accept more money. Then what does he do? I open the shooter rod package and in it is a BUNCH of cool Pin key fobs and stuff. Just awesome! I mean, what else can you say but thank you times a million.

Thanks D. You're a great friend.

#44 10 years ago

Great post, Pinfidel, and I couldn't agree more!

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Good stuff man!

Yep, I've said it before I think he's a good dude, just a little lost in the pinball world. We all were at some point. I need to be more conscious of that. Heck I still am lost LOL. Hugs for Kaneda.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from FrederikFrost:

I'd like to chime in and say it's not just in the US, people on Denmark that aren't on pinside, but are a part of the hobby are just the same! I suppose it's because it's such a niche hobby, and having someone to enjoy it with is amazing.
    Great post

It's great to see the passion that flows right on through to the other countries of the world. There's just something that is so infectiously and unexplainable about hitting that little silver ball around these amazingly designed PF's. God I LOVE it.

#47 10 years ago

ok lovers... everyone make a small donation to pinside now

#48 10 years ago

ok lovers... everyone make a small donation to pinside now

We don't love each other THAT much!
    ...but I JUST donated anyway!

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Good stuff man!

LOL Kaneda's a great guy. I talked with him several times before in his threads. I have no ill will or hard feelings whatsoever toward him and never did. I love his excitement and enthusiasm. I just want to see him step up and buy one of the great titles he has inquired about so that we can hear him say how much he's loving it. Hopefully he'll build the pinball love up to the level of his video game love.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I believe I'd speak for everyone when I say that we just want to see him step up and buy one of the great titles he has inquired about

Let's not start THIS again....

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-the-hec-is-it-with-you-people-and-this-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.