(Topic ID: 73797)

What sys11 boards switch check at turn on?

By jcar302

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by viperrwk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Just curious, i've swapped some boards around and my high speed no longer checks for switch errors at start up.

It's pretty handy on that particular pin because the switches are finicky and seem to get out of wack after a few weeks of no plays.

I have an original system 11 board
    11a
    11b
    All set up so they can work in high speed.

#2 10 years ago

As far as I'm aware, High Speed does not check switches on start up. What you are probably accustomed to seeing is the switch error report that you will get after a switch isn't activated for a certain number of games.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Grauwulf:

As far as I'm aware, High Speed does not check switches on start up. What you are probably accustomed to seeing is the switch error report that you will get after a switch isn't activated for a certain number of games.

I kinda thought was a possibility, but i really never had to play with an error because it always reported when i had the 11a in there.
    High speed doesn't really have that many switches and if one wasn't operation it would be easy to tell, which i knew right away when i put the original board back in and it didn't tell me the errors. I manually checked and they were there.

It also reported from day 1 with the 11a in it. That's not the board it came with, not even the same set of roms (if that matters)

The switches are pretty old and worn on my high speed (thinking about just replacing all of them) and i'd say since i had it at least 25% of the time i turned it on it had errors, which it reported immediately. I just don't think there was enough play without working switches to trigger the report.

Cyclone manual says 120 balls or 40 games.
    For the most part i'm the only player and i usually only play a game or 2 at a time, so 40 games or 120 balls could take months.

Now it has the 11b in it, maybe i'll put the A back in and see what it does.

#4 10 years ago

The data is saved in the RAM chip on the board, so if you swap the board the switch data will go with it.

#5 10 years ago

And from p. 4 of the HS manual:

"HIGH SPEED's System 11 game program has a new capability to aid the operator and service personnel: At game Turn-On (and also when the operator is beginning the Test/Diagnostic Procedures), a display now signals when a switch has NOT been actuated during ball play for a lengthy period of time." HS was the first game with broken switch compensation and first SS game with an operator report according to IPDB (no doubt due to Larry DeMar.)

viperrwk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-sys11-boards-switch-check-at-turn-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.