(Topic ID: 29174)

What started you on buying Pinball machines?

By Cobra

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 11 years ago

My story: I grew up riding my mountain bike a block away to play 4 pins at the local strip mall arcade called Thor's. I remember getting dropped off at one of the biggest arcades in elk grove called "game r us". No joke, they started out as a single strip mall store, bought the one next door and knocked down a wall, then again, then again. Used to be a giant arcade/bowling alley called galaxy world in carol stream (only accessible by older brother and his friend's cars). In 2010 I was in a dark place, really hated my job. I thought to myself "when was the last time I was really happy? I remember pinball making me pretty happy, and de-stressed me". So off I went, finding the cheapest pin I could (not sure if I was going to be able to work on them). Found a $150 non-working EM. Got it mostly working, sold it off. Bought a solid state, and then another, and another. I have 5 pins (two that need work), and yet I still find myself looking at CL even though I don't have the funds, space, or time.

Addiction, you fricken bet!

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

got tired of working on them all the time

I think it depends on how often you play, and what condition it was originally in. I play the hell out of space shuttle, and I only keep tweaking the aesthetics (never have mechanical issues now that i got the bugs out). I can see how having a large collection (anything above 10) where a lot of time could get eaten up just maintaining (mostly cleaning)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-started-you-on-buying-pinball-machines?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.